Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Scootaloo has lesbian aunts.

CastletonSnob

So, I read the excerpt and it’s not a big deal, very subtle. The fact that Vogel had to confirm it makes that abundantly clear. If this scene were to appear in the show, I wouldn’t have a problem with it. I might make it more familial than romantic by having the aunt give Scoots a kiss as well, but that’s it.

Edited by ShootingStar159

26 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

The fact that Vogel had to confirm it makes that abundantly clear.

The confirmation didn't arise from a general sense of confusion. This fandom often comes across as one to dislike any ambiguity, as they act rather childish at times when people challenge their assumptions. I've seen fans react to this news with a general attitude that boils down to, 'Yeah I don't believe it.'

Hence the pressure to confirm it, and when he did the instant tagging of Equestria Daily and the bemoaning that the EqD comments section didn't all buy it. 

As far as the question on the OP, I do believe that we will see Lofty and Holiday on the show in season 8, especially with Dubuc in charge of FiM. 

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Lambdadelta said:

What!? LGTB? I hope there is no hidden agenda or shit in FIM episodes.

I wouldn't call it hidden. The show staff (from the voice actors, to the writers, to the boarders) are generally socially liberal and don't hide their political views. 

The Supervisor Director was even a bit snarky about Horse News linking him a petition to keep LGBT stuff out of Pony. The petition was created in response to the news about  Scootaloo. Jim Miller's response was, "Good luck with that."

I do suspect that they intend to include the characters on the show. How overt they treat the couple remains a point worthy of debate. As I said, some in this fandom seems to have an eye twitch if they don't get hit over the head with the heavy confirmation of a dialog sledgehammer. 

Just now, GeekySonic said:

Homosexual_Agenda_450_answer_2_xlarge.gif.85f0eb507b7cf0c9596a2dcd6e417509.gif

Like, for real, are you being sarcastic? Gay couples are a completely normal thing.

This. The best gay characters are characters where the character's personality traits take center stage and being gay is ... well ... just a thing. 

That's why I only celebrate a gay character when orientation is depicted as normal, not exceptional. 

• Brohoof 12

I hope not to step on any toes but I've always been in the camp of keeping LGBT+ out...........of our main characters.

This has nothing to do with homophobia or anything or that I want all my characters hetero or else the show is ruined for me. No it comes from exactly what I'm seeing here. If after seven years they just throw out there a reveal, "Oh, by the way this character's gay now!" That is no longer handling the subject with stride for me, and just making a random statement for the sake of it.

However, when it comes to Scootaloo's aunts that is exactly what I would love to see. Have two characters that maybe the audience didn't know the relationship of but the characters always did, that way there is need for any big reveal. Just have them interact like any other couple because the characters are expecting it and wouldn't be surprised by it. That is how you make them feel like characters in the world and not a statement.

Now I'm going to stop now before this post throws me into the Debate Pit.

• Brohoof 3

30 minutes ago, Jeric said:

The confirmation didn't arise from a general sense of confusion. This fandom often comes across as one to dislike any ambiguity, as they act rather childish at times when people challenge their assumptions. I've seen fans react to this news with a general attitude that boils down to, 'Yeah I don't believe it.'

Hence the pressure to confirm it, and when he did the instant tagging of Equestria Daily and the bemoaning that the EqD comments section didn't all buy it. 

I’ve been watching since 2012, but I’ve only paid attention to this side of the fandom for a couple of months, so I’ll take your word for it. All I know is that when I read the excerpt, if I didn’t already know they were lesbians, all I would have seen was two family members, not lovers. Maybe I was making an assumption on what other people would have seen when they read it though.

21 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

Not this again! There was alot of drama at Equestria Daily about this! I for one don't mind the two aunt thing though! ;)

Exactly. It prompted additional questions and pressure to Vogel, and when he confirmed the aunts were indeed a couple, the first response was to ask him to reiterate it to Equestria Daily (complete with tagging them and calling out their comment section). While I absolutely appreciate the confirmation, the follow-up comment was immature. Heaven help someone if people wish to just interpret the material in their own way. 

I have no problem with this, but i'm honestly hoping this stays OUT of the show. Same sex relations are a......touchy subject, to put it lightly, not just morally but legally. Sure, it's fine here in the US and especially in Canada, where FIM is produced. Internationally, however, it's a whole different story. There are many countries that still ban same sex marriage and other countries where homosexuality as a WHOLE is illegal and punishable by jail time or worse. Hasbro has a whole international market to cater to.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Lambdadelta said:

What!? LGTB? I hope there is no hidden agenda or shit in FIM episodes.

Us gay people and our nefarious agendas. Totally how we operate yep. I mean I was JUST at the Gay illuminati meeting last week about putting more chemicals in the water. It worked so well on turning those frogs gay. 

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

This. The best gay characters are characters where the character's personality traits take center stage and being gay is ... well ... just a thing. 

That's why I only celebrate a gay character when orientation is depicted as normal, not exceptional. 

Agreed on that one. Media portrayals of lgbt characters tend to be so ham fisted and in your face with that one trait instead of giving them a character. Not all gay characters need to be frappachino loving interior designers/hair dressers with sassy life advice that they can drop on a dime people! 

I hope they do bring it into the show too and just have it as a normal thing. However knowing that they broadcast to multiple countries might limit how they can do that, since not every country (or person) has caught up with the fact that gay people aren't evil scheming monster people who can magically "turn" people gay by exposure alone. 

• Brohoof 3

I don't consider anything outside of the show itself, the movie and the Legends of Magic comic series as canon. Unless I'm mistaken or outdated, I don't recall anyone confirming that the comics or other mediums were canon; with the exception of Legends of Magic, I don't think stories of other MLPFIM mediums were mentioned in-show. So Scootaloo's aunts being lesbians is not worth attention to me; I don't consider them to exist except as part of the, I suppose, expanded universes (to mention others, EqG, sentient deers, Nightmare Rarity, and so on don't exist in MLPFIM canon as far as I'm concerned).

If they do become part of the show itself, my hope is that their character will not be defined by their sexual orientation. As mentioned by some previous comments, I'm hoping the matter of sexual orientation would be handled more like, say, "they may fall in love with different people, but they're still like us" rather than "look how fabulously gay they are!". While the latter could be used for comedic effect, I question its effectiveness if the intention is to promote a message of acceptance. I'm not opposed to the introduction of the concept of homosexuality in MLPFIM in a more obvious sense, but rather, if homosexuality itself is to be the main focus of a story, I'm concerned with the approach to the subject.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Exactly. It prompted additional questions and pressure to Vogel, and when he confirmed the aunts were indeed a couple, the first response was to ask him to reiterate it to Equestria Daily (complete with tagging them and calling out their comment section). While I absolutely appreciate the confirmation, the follow-up comment was immature. Heaven help someone if people wish to just interpret the material in their own way. 

Poor Mike! D:

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Tsaritsa Luna said:

(to mention others, EqG, sentient deers, Nightmare Rarity, and so on don't exist in MLPFIM canon as far as I'm concerned).

Spoiler

Come back to the thought in a few weeks. ;)

• Brohoof 2

I think it's cool that My Little Pony finally has gay characters. I'm hoping Scootaloo's aunts will appear on the show and that they're written well.

It's disappointing that some fans are responding badly. It's far from the first time gay characters have appeared in children's cartoons. Take The Legend of Korra and Star. vs the Forces of Evil. I think it's a good thing that the franchise isn't going to shy away from having gay characters. It's not something kids don't understand. The show's writers have always had progressive social views as far as I'm aware, and accepting your friends and their little quirks has always been a big part of the show. :)

Unfortunate. Hopefully they ignore these characters and focus on the relationship between Scootaloo and her parents. That's where the real character development and story is. Scootaloo herself has already stated in the show that she doesn't see her parents very often; I think many children face that same problem and I believe they have a chance to really explore Scootaloo's character in that regard. What kind of jobs do her parents have? How do the parents feel about it? Can Scootaloo express her feelings of loneliness to her parents to see if they can't try to find more time to see her?

Lots of potential there that could really speak to many children who may also don't see their parents often. Hopefully the writers make the right decision.

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, takai said:

Unfortunate. Hopefully they ignore these characters and focus on the relationship between Scootaloo and her parents. That's where the real character development and story is. Scootaloo herself has already stated in the show that she doesn't see her parents very often; I think many children face that same problem and I believe they have a chance to really explore Scootaloo's character in that regard. What kind of jobs do her parents have? How do the parents feel about it? Can Scootaloo express her feelings of loneliness to her parents to see if they can't try to find more time to see her?

Lots of potential there that could really speak to many children who may also don't see their parents often. Hopefully the writers make the right decision.

I don't see why you can't have both the aunts and the parents at the same time? The aunts take care of her because her parents are often so busy apparently, so they could easily write an episode focusing on Scoot's relationship with her parents and still have them there as well.

On the one hand, me being a Christian forbids me from supporting this.

But on the other hand, I'm not about to just up and quit the series simply because of an obscure paragraph in an obscure book (seriously, I've seen some EQD comments actually vowing just that).

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

1 hour ago, Buck Testa said:

Agreed on that one. Media portrayals of lgbt characters tend to be so ham fisted and in your face with that one trait instead of giving them a character. Not all gay characters need to be frappachino loving interior designers/hair dressers with sassy life advice that they can drop on a dime people! 

That's all i am afraid about, nothing more, a gay character defined by his gender more than his personality. If the staffs can make it works then i will shut up and hug that character like any character of the show. I am not like 'Gay character!!! RUINED' or 'Black people as main character, RUINED!!!' or any similar bullshit...

3 hours ago, GeekySonic said:

Like, for real, are you being sarcastic? Gay couples are a completely normal thing.

Trust me, i am nothing against gay people, i am not Christian, and i dont give a damn. I dont support them and i am not against them. Dont need to get mad at me or something.:blink:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Tiny Hoofs said:

It's far from the first time gay characters have appeared in children's cartoons. Take The Legend of Korra and Star. vs the Forces of Evil. I think it's a good thing that the franchise isn't going to shy away from having gay characters. It's not something kids don't understand. The show's writers have always had progressive social views as far as I'm aware, and accepting your friends and their little quirks has always been a big part of the show.:)

Those are okay examples, however, when it comes to actual couples, I'd hope if MLP does follow through, they emulate The Loud House. One of the supporting characters has two fathers, and that's what their treated like, just Clyde's Dads. Nothing else special, because they are characters first. And they're not shuffled off into the background either, they have plenty of episode appearances. The thing is the show treats them like every other character so should the audience. The show also did it again but that's more of a spoiler. All I will say is it does the reveal to the audience without having it be a reveal to the characters because that's how you make them fit into the world without it seeming like a statement.

1 hour ago, Lambdadelta said:

That's all i am afraid about, nothing more, a gay character defined by his gender more than his personality. If the staffs can make it works then i will shut up and hug that character like any character of the show. I am not like 'Gay character!!! RUINED' or 'Black people as main character, RUINED!!!' or any similar bullshit...

Trust me, i am nothing against gay people, i am not Christian, and i dont give a damn. I dont support them and i am not against them. Dont need to get mad at me or something.:blink:

"I hope there is no hidden agenda or shit in FIM episodes." 

The Gay Agenda is a conspiracy theory homophobes have been spreading for ages. I severely doubt you aren't aware of this. If you really aren't one, then sweet! However when you use the terms and express opinions similar TO homophobes, then you can't be all that surprised about the confusion. 

1 hour ago, KH7672 said:

Those are okay examples, however, when it comes to actual couples, I'd hope if MLP does follow through, they emulate The Loud House. One of the supporting characters has two fathers, and that's what their treated like, just Clyde's Dads. Nothing else special, because they are characters first. And they're not shuffled off into the background either, they have plenty of episode appearances. The thing is the show treats them like every other character so should the audience. The show also did it again but that's more of a spoiler. All I will say is it does the reveal to the audience without having it be a reveal to the characters because that's how you make them fit into the world without it seeming like a statement.

It's funny that kid shows seems to be able to pull this off better than a lot of adult oriented media. There are exceptions of course but I've seen way too many badly written gay characters. It's like they only have one or two templates for gay character personality types and just copy paste them instead of, you know, being creative about it. It's so lazy.  

• Brohoof 4

Honestly I'm just glad Scoots has a confirmed family that loves and supports her, instead of being doomed to being a disabled, homeless orphan for all eternity 

• Brohoof 6