Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How the Movie should have been

twilightsparkle3562

I was wondering about what the movie should have been about that would have made it more applicable to people like me:

. Keep all the main characters as well as the new ones they would meet Capper, Captain Celano and her pirate crew and then they would meet the Hippogriffs, just like the movie.

.The Friendship Festival does goes on, but is interrupted not by the Storm King's armada, but by a messenger from a kingdom in the lands south of Equestria, saying that the Storm King has conquered the messenger's kingdom and he has his eyes set on Canterlot.  Heeding this, Celestia sends Twilight and her friends to the lands of south Equestria to try and stop the Storm King from attacking Canterlot.  While they go on their journey, Celestia, Luna and Cadence order that Canterlot postpone the festival and be locked down as a precaution.

.However, just as they arrive at the overthrown kingdom, Twilight and her friends are confronted by Tempest Shadow and Grubber, who takes an immediate dislike to Twilight and demands that she surrender her magic.  When they try to fight them and the Storm Guards, they are blasted off of a bridge and down a waterfall.  From there, they go on to meet Capper and all the other characters just as they do in the movie.

.Tempest meets the Storm King the same way as in the movie and says that in order to prepare for the attack on  Canterlot, he must have the magic of all four alicorn princesses to power his staff.  However, knowing that there would be some resistence and that Twilight was on the run, he sends Tempest after Twilight while he launches a full scale assault on the locked down Canterlot and turning the princesses to stone himself, not Tempest, and ordering that ponies who couldn't escape are captured and enslaved.  Plus, the Princesses at least attempt to fight the Storm King themselves, but are unable to defeat him.  This way, they aren't being viewed as useless as they did in the movie.

.After Tempest captures Twilight following her Post-Seaquestria argument with her friends, she brings Twilight back to the now captured Canterlot and Twilight is brought to the throne room.  From there on, the climax is as the same as the movie.  But, there is a slight difference: the group of ponies that had escaped the attack return and fight the Storm King's forces like Lyra, Bon Bon, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders upon being freed from their cages.  During the fight, Storm King betrays Tempest like in the movie and is defeated the same way: being turned to stone and breaking into pieces when he hits the ground. 

.From there, the ending remains the same with Tempest revealing her real name is Fizzlepop Berrytwist.

Most of the movie worked in my eyes, but if there were two things I would alter, it would be this:

Get rid of Capper's song and actually develop him a tad more. Give him more of a story and not a jazz hands song to establish him. His was the song that seen no real purpose to.

And most importantly, Twilight's snapping moment. I would make this moment much less one sided. I would have Twilight bring up the valid point that the other ponies didn't seem all that concerned about the fate of their home and friends. Which would make her AND Pinkie snap at the same exact time, saying probably the same thing. It would be interesting for both characters, as it would be really different for Pinkie, and it would help to not demonize Twilight so much and make her seem so out of character. If the tension could be applied to both of them, then it would seem more tolerable.

• Brohoof 2

56 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Get rid of Capper's song and actually develop him a tad more. Give him more of a story and not a jazz hands song to establish him. His was the song that seen no real purpose to.

The prequel comics do give a background on Capper. Actually, I think the movie would have done better if certain elements of the comics were included; the new characters (except hippogryphs) were given context and it made their role and behaviour make better sense in the movie.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, The biggest issue I had with the Movie was how useless/helpless the ponies seamed for the first 1/2 of the movie.

The scene in Cappers house where Tempest comes in with two of the Yeti... Things.

So its The Mane six + Spike vs Tempest and two Yetis things.... And they not only run, they Panic....

-

This really could have been fixed by just.. you know. Sending more with Tempest. Like 30+ or something, a number that you really cant find.

Tempest's ship shows up, they panic.. Instead of shooting the blasted thing down....

Send Three Ships... Or More. Give us a clear reason they are running.

Some points:

-Make the character designs for the pirates and Capper more animal-like than anthropomorphic. Only a small number of characters in-show stood upright so I thought it was rather strange to have these characters be designed that way. It is even stranger for the pirates as they are birds but they don't have wings.

-More significant role from some of the Mane6. At this moment, I may be incorrect as I have forgotten some details of the movie, but I don't remember Applejack or especially Fluttershy doing anything important in relation to the story. Rarity fixed Capper's jacket, Dash revived the pirates' spirits, and Pinkie made friends with the hippogryphs.

-More scenes focused on the Storm King.

-From my understanding, because the movie began production several years ago, some major developments in the show were not taken into consideration. But if it was somehow possible, it would have been better if some nation from in-show (Yakyakistan, Ember's dragons, etc.) participated or at least if it was explained why they could not help Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Tsaritsa Luna said:

From my understanding, because the movie began production several years ago, some major developments in the show were not taken into consideration.

One thing that people keep missing is that film was constantly in progress through all stages of development. Meghan McCarthy specifically stated that she was able to, unlike the show, write new dialog and add new things at almost any time during development. Huge difference between a film and a show. Once an episode is locked ... it's basically done and usually can't be rewritten. Famous Derpy scene notwithstanding. This was not the case with the film.

If she wanted to add a line about the dragons it would be trivial to do so. The truth is that they didn't do it because it would be a bad call. They didn't feel it was needed from a narrative reason. When you find yourself taking up screen time to explain why something isn't there, it's bad writing. Adding these characters becomes an opportunity cost. Something added ... something has to go. And I've seen enough people state that each of the new characters are they favs to suggest that the Lincoln Rule would apply heavily here. They flat out told JD that they didn't not want him in the film. It's a story decision and one that makes sense. 

The only additional dialog needed would not be touching on show characters not used, but creating a better narrative transition between the Seaquestria expulsion and the arrival of Skystar that also links Nova's arrival later. I hear that Nova had a cut song, so that likely explains where that missing story thread disappeared to. 

Other than actually craft based elements, and some technical complaints, every negative item I've seen from fans (and some positive ones) usually falls as a generic fandom (needs moar x) complaint. Valid I suppose ... but highly individualized. For example, if Discord was in this I would have groaned. 

One simply can't please everyone all of the time, you know?

• Brohoof 2

I would have Twilight give some context to establish a historic relationship between Equestria and the hippogryphs kingdom, also the treasure. That would give something to why Celestia would choose them first for assistance.

Then some motive on the Queen refusal being that Equestria didn't help them in that time of need.

Also some negative views towards the Equestria kingdom from non-pony characters might have been interesting.

Ditch Grubber completely for one.

Instead of having the Mane 6 all escape together from Tempest, I'd have three get lost in one place and three get lost in another, and much of the first and second act would be shifting from one narrative to the other one. Let's say Twilight, Spike, Pinkie, and Applejack go to find the "Hippos" while RD, Fluttershy and Rarity journey to search for reinforcements to fight back against Tempest; and they run into the pirates somehow. Maybe I'd just get rid of Capper. I think this structure would address the complaints of the pace being too rushed and the characters not standing out enough, and both the pirate and underwater setpieces would be given more room to breathe.

I have other ideas, but these are the ones that are easiest to articulate 

Edited by n1029

• Longer timespan (although it felt long when watching but still),
  • a better explained backstory for these other new characters.
  • better transition for both capper and the parrot crew.
  •  show what happen  to capper and the parrot crew after the ship was crush, (hinted they crushed in  Klugeton town and Cap. Celeleno paid for capper's debt, then there was a small riot in the town).
  •  Epic battle between twilight and tempest. ( the toy tricked me!)
  • Epic battle Between the mane 6 and Tempest against the Storm king.
  • The part when Tempest left equestria with Grubber to spread the new that Storm king is defeated. 

all that i pointed out, if that was in the movie i would rated the movie as perfect.