Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Uncommon Bond  

98 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Twilight: *grimace* "No spell will be able to reconstitute this plot." ("I HATE IT!" >__<)
    • Trixie: "I think I'll pass on this trick." ("I dislike it!")
    • Maud: *gently taps medium-sized rock* "Not solid on the inside yet." ("…meh…")
    • Spike: *hovers mistletoe above Sunburst & Starlight, cheeky grin on his face* ("I like it!")
    • Trixie: *creates teacups, teapot* Tea? Sunburst & Starlight: *pours some into their cups* ("I LOVE IT!" <3)

Sunburst makes another visit for Starlight Glimmer in this episode! :D Tell me what they have in common? At the forest part, after knocking the apples off the tree, Trixie was found and Sunburst meets Trixie for the first time, and also Maud in the Mirror Pool chamber in the caves.

Sunburst likes to play games with Trixie whilst Starlight Glimmer is bored or tired. That scene in the Mirror Pool chamber, that was the blast from the past when Pinkie Pie finds out cloning herself; they hear tapping somewhere, that was Maud Pie because she's assessed with rocks and she looks for gems inside there.

With that scroll, that was a flashback from the 5th season finale when they're young foals, Starlight Glimmer uses magic on the scroll to do with past location and ponies' age.

The Dragon's Pit game is interesting in a life-sized version. I would like to play that too but not really.

At the epilogue part, Sunburst leaves off to the Crystal Empire on the Friendship Express train, knowing that they love each other in a great way of what they have in common. So I'll rate this episode as an excellent episode! :love:

• 2 months later...

The shipping is strong in this one.

On 10/23/2017 at 7:33 PM, Ganondox said:

IIRC it still contradicts the story in Hearth's Warming Eve because they had to move to a new land in order to found Equestria. Anyway, I'm a firm believer that Windigos are just fairy tales as we've had no concrete proof othewise. :P 

Not really even in real life we have old empires who mapped/built/discovered things which where lost again. China had a whole slew of documents burnt at one point so we don't know what was lost there, Rome fell, Pompei was rediscovered. Things are lost and forgotten and then found again. The Mighty Helm could have charted the land Equestria later claimed, fallen, the tribes united and founded the empire/kingdom/country of Equestria then rediscovered the old map of the Mighty Helm. Alternatively they founded Equestria over here -> and then mighty helm without any unicorns/pegasus sailed around the edges charting their new home. Given the odd geography we've seen in other episodes I don't think its really a contradiction.

On 10/27/2017 at 6:12 AM, Batbrony said:

foal_s_play_by_bobthedalek-dbrphjx.jpg

I feel that last panel should have Starlight replying about 10-15 years in response to how long before the spell wears off implying she forgot to include an ending condition and they just need to grow up again.

Anyway moving on from responding to older comments some interesting information in this one Starlight enjoy's Antiquing which is in character but not something I expected, Old Ponish makes another appearance this season they seem to be pushing that angle a bit, Maud's cave connects to the mirror pool. Still one of the things I found most interesting was that in the group hug at the end it was Trixie of all people who grabbed Maud and pulled her into it.

I liked Starlight's comment that she hopes it isn't a lost Pinky they hear considering we know at least a few survived the purge and are out there in hiding.

Twilight knocking the board over was odd not just because of the uncontrolled magic but also that reaction seemed a bit over the top to a piece dissapearing.

Sunburst did come off as a bit of a jerk at times going back to sleep after asking if Twilight was up rather than just going back to sleep regardless of who was up. All of which resulted in another sad purple pony.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I liked this episode and I enjoyed that we got to see Sunburst and Starlight try to reconnect again, while Starlight was going about it the wrong way, I think her attempts were out of genuine care and simply wanting that bond they both had as fillies. Sunburst came off rude at times, but I guess that's because he was past doing things he used to do as a filly. 9/10.

• 2 months later...

I love seeing Starlight with Sunburst! It's the only pair that I ship in MLP. It's funny how I liked Starlight being pissed off by Sunburst, though. I could see how irritated she was from her expressions, and a genuine jealousy like that is something you can only expect from Starlight. She's such a different pony from everypony else, and I love this kind of uniqueness in her. I really enjoyed this episode, and I think I'm starting to like Starlight more as I see more of what she's like. :ticking:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I like this episode, but the story structure is a bit off. Starlight's breakdown after recreating her and Sunburst's childhoods should have been a bigger deal. I think it should've happened at the end of the 2nd act and there should've been a bit more progression with Starlight getting progressively unstable and more set up to Sunburst yelling at her. As is, Sunburst snapping feels rushed. To make more time for this, I think the obvious solution would be to cut down the nearly identical montages with Sunburst and another character getting along. And then the third act could've been Sunburst going to Trixie and Maud like in the episode, but instead of the real life Dragon's Pit game, the episode could've had Sunburst and Starlight just talk. Since that would tie into Sunburst and Starlight personally getting along and it would work with the ending better than Dragon's Pit, which brings in everyone else despite the main conflict being a personal one between Starlight and Sunburst not having anything in common. 

But aside from that, the episode is enjoyable. The B-team (what I'm calling Starlight and her friends) are a lot of fun to watch just hang around, kinda like the mane six were back in the early seasons. Their voice acting feels a lot less forced than the mane six's and the jokes with the B-team interacting feel much fresher too. While I don't think the story is great as I already mentioned, the charm and comedy of the episode distract from that enough for me to have fun with the episode.

Score: 7/10

• 1 year later...

This was a really interesting episode. Good plot that I can relate on myself 'old friend comes back, we find out we have changed'. Starlight and Sunburst turning to foals was pretty funny. i Think this is a fairly under-rated episode and of course I loved seeing Maud Pie and Trixie again in this. I wish we could have seen more interactions between the characters themselves though, Maud and Trixie doing some rock based magic trick perhaps. Maud seemed to talk more in this one. Maud contrasts from all the others, not smiling or laughing at all but she is just there...and her presence feels comforting. 

The ending was pretty cute and funny.

unknown.png?width=1202&height=676

• 5 months later...

I like this episode. The plot is interesting and I really enjoyed to see for building more up of side characters relations and interactions. At the same time this episode deals also with Starlight's past. IT shows that Starlight feels very connected to Sunburst but experience the opposite in this episode. The interactions and reactions is what makes this episode interesting to me.

This episode is kinda like a reflection episode of Starlight with all her friends and build up. The ending has also a nice cliffhanger to finale of course :D

Good episode, enjoyed it the second time through it.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Very good episode in my opinion - I find it to be really relatable since I have had friends over the years that have changed a lot. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but change happens whether you want it to or not and you just have to live with it. I really enjoy the inclusion of Maud and Trixie in this. My opinion hasn't really changed since the last time I watched this episode. 

• Brohoof 1