Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E25+E26 - Shadow Play

Hierok

What are your thoughts on this episode?  

166 users have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on this episode?

• I hated these episodes
    • I disliked these episodes
    • I thought thes episode were decent, but not great
    • I liked these episodes
    • I loved these episodes

8 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

So, really, why are we claiming that Starlight was the one who saved the day?

Likely from a cause and effect argument. I do have to agree it was largely a group effort. Remove almost anyone and to don't get the same happy ending we got. 

Also the finale was amazing. If not for two other God Tier episodes this season, it would be my fav. It capped off what has now become my favorite season of this show ... after all these years it's quite impressive. 

• Brohoof 5

14 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

From what I heard, it was more of a team effort than simply Starlight.

It was a team effort for the original plan of banishing him to limbo, but for talking it out, it was only Starlight who suggested it and then Twilight helped with that at the last second because she saw Stygian. That's it. So while all the other characters ignored the idea of talking it out like blind idiots, Starlight was the only one who was right in the end. To which I say, bleh.

14 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Likely from a cause and effect argument. I do have to agree it was largely a group effort. Remove almost anyone and to don't get the same happy ending we got. 

Also the finale was amazing. If not for two other God Tier episodes this season, it would be my fav. It capped off what has now become my favorite season of this show ... after all these years it's quite impressive. 

'Cause and effect'?

I feel like the episode was a bit... weird. especially when the mane 6 was finding the keys....er well, artifacts I guess (forgot what they called them)  it should have been like season 4 where they had episodes where they discovered the keys and it tied to the finale (or maybe even have a three parter?) it would have been neat if we seen clover the clever again or mentions of her, since she was star swirl's assistant

Just now, heavens-champion said:

'Cause and effect'?

Aye. Without x then y doesn't occur. I suspect that some may elevate the importance of this particular x. 

That or a tapestry effect. Pull a thread and the tapestry unravels. Similar to what you see as a recurring theme in the Star Wars saga (not firing on an escape pod). HISHE has made a lot of people happy over this concept. 

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

Aye. Without x then y doesn't occur. I suspect that some may elevate the importance of this particular x. 

That or a tapestry effect. Pull a thread and the tapestry unravels. Similar to what you see as a recurring theme in the Star Wars saga (not firing on an escape pod). HISHE has made a lot of people happy over this concept. 

I see.

2 minutes ago, KrazyDashie said:

I feel like the episode was a bit... weird. especially when the mane 6 was finding the keys....er well, artifacts I guess (forgot what they called them)  it should have been like season 4 where they had episodes where they discovered the keys and it tied to the finale (or maybe even have a three parter?)

We kinda had that. We got to see most of the 'keys' in action as well as the backstory to each bearer. 

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

We kinda had that. We got to see most of the 'keys' in action as well as the backstory to each bearer. 

true, they just found the keys a little too quickly I guess. *shrugs*

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, KrazyDashie said:

I feel like the episode was a bit... weird. especially when the mane 6 was finding the keys....er well, artifacts I guess (forgot what they called them)  it should have been like season 4 where they had episodes where they discovered the keys and it tied to the finale (or maybe even have a three parter?)

I immediately was wistful that we didn't get a cool legendary exploration season with the Mane 6 when they each did their mini-ventures. Even so, I was happy enough the season used the method of weaving the stories throughout it and letting each play a small part that way, I suppose

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, KrazyDashie said:

true, they just found the keys a little too quickly I guess. *shrugs*

Possibly. There is an argument to be made that stories that focus to much on a MacGuffin tend to invite other storytelling issues. I suspect that if they did create a episode dedicated to the ReMane Five on a fetch quest that some would see flaws in the lack of any real focus when looking at the three episodes together as a cohesive whole. 

6 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Possibly. There is an argument to be made that stories that focus to much on a MacGuffin tend to invite other storytelling issues. I suspect that if they did create a episode dedicated to the ReMane Five on a fetch quest that some would see flaws in the lack of any real focus when looking at the three episodes together as a cohesive whole. 

Fair point. If you're going to do a fetch quest it's generally best you do so with a continuous story. Not a terribly strong suit of the series.

• Brohoof 1

You know something? Despite Thorax and the Changelings not being mentioned here, Their recent episode, "To Change a Changeling" had some connections to this finale.

The Biggest I noticed was how The Pony of Shadows and Pharynx share the same voice, Bill Newton, and role as antagonist. The difference is that while the Darkness of the Shadow tried to consume Stygian when he was banished feeding on his feelings of betrayal , Pharynx actually cared about the safety of the Hive. Both were misunderstood, but were finally given the respect they deserved.

Thorax and Starswirl are similar yet different. They're both leaders of their groups. The main difference is that while pride blinded StarSwirl's judgement leading to him banishing Stygian and making things worst, Thorax refused to banish Pharynx even when the whole Hive wanted him out. To Thorax, Pharynx wasn't a lost cause. Also, both leaders called out the main Unicorn for coming up with a plan that had dangerous side-effects: Starlight's  Leading the Malwulf right to the Hive hoping it would cause Pharnyx to fight for his brother putting the Hive at risk; Twilight's plan to bring back the Pillar not realizing it would bring back the Pony of Shadows with them.

Heck, Starlight doesn't say it, but when she suspect the Map was sending our heroes to solve a Friendship Problem instead of banishing the Pony of Shadows, she must have recalled the Events of TCAC. In my opinion, this makes that episode's significance much more stronger.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
Be more clear about the awful plans
  • Brohoof 7

And of course, as always, the poll says that the vast majority loved it, but are the very few who hated it to be the most vocal about it... why I'm still here I wonder?

This episode was different from the other villain episodes in that there was really never any risk of failing against them. The Pony Of Shadows wouldn’t have even have been a problem without the main six accidentally summon of him, but they immediately had a solution that was going to work. The episode was about doing the best thing, not just overcoming an adversary. 

• Brohoof 3

I thought that this was a pretty cool season finale, though I wasn't exactly on the edge of my seat as I was when Tirek was the main threat, mostly because in that season finale there were a bunch of lasers and explosions and smashing Twilight into mountains and stuff happening all over the place. This season finale didn't exactly have that, but it made up for it when it came to it's story and the characters. I can't wait to see how in the next season the writers work Star Swirl and the other original element bearers into certain plots of episodes and stuff, and maybe we'll even get to see them become a common recurring character in the show! :D

Stygian only wanted to be a Pillar too.

I know they can't reform every villain they face, won't be realistic, they're only reforming ponies who are either corrupted or hurt.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:04 PM, WiiGuy2014 said:

You know something? Despite Thorax and the Changelings not being mentioned here, Their recent episode, "To Change a Changeling" had some connections to this finale.

The Biggest I noticed was how The Pony of Shadows and Pharynx share the same voice, Bill Newton, and role as antagonist. The difference is that while the Darkness of the Shadow tried to consume Stygian when he was banished feeding on his feelings of betrayal , Pharynx actually cared about the safety of the Hive. Both were misunderstood, but were finally given the respect they deserved.

Thorax and Starswirl are similar yet different. They're both leaders of their groups. The main difference is that while pride blinded StarSwirl's judgement leading to him banishing Stygian and making things worst, Thorax refused to banish Pharynx even when the whole Hive wanted him out. To Thorax, Pharynx wasn't a lost cause. Also, both leaders called out the main Unicorn for coming up with a plan that had dangerous side-effects: Starlight's  Leading the Malwulf right to the Hive hoping it would cause Pharnyx to fight for his brother putting the Hive at risk; Twilight's plan to bring back the Pillar not realizing it would bring back the Pony of Shadows with them.

Heck, Starlight doesn't say it, but when she suspect the Map was sending our heroes to solve a Friendship Problem instead of banishisg the Pony of Shadows, she must have recalled the Events of TCAC. In my opinion, this makes that episode's significance much more stronger.

At least everything worked out, Stygian got free from the darkness, the Pillars got Stygian back, Thorax and Pharynx worked out everything with the Hive, and Twilight and the others got to use the Elements again.

Edited by Brainstorm
  • Brohoof 1

I'm saving Part 2 for tomorrow, but from what I've seen, this is the best first half of any of the finales, quite the accomplishment, considering how good Twilight's Kingdom, The Cutie Re-Mark and the first half of To Where And Back Again was. It was so refreshing to see the rest of the Mane 6 being used properly in the resolution.

Wow, what a great season finale!

I was feeling it somehow rushed at the beginning with the royal audience and the library research, but from the moment the mane 6, Starlight and Sunburst got to Ponehenge I got really interested in the episode. I really enjoyed the quest for the relics and how the mane 5 showed their progress on their own, also it finished with what I believe to be one of the best scenes for the mane 6 when they arrived back at Ponehenge with the relics.

The return of the Pony of Shadows at the same time as the pillars was too obvious. It didn't feel right that nopony asked themselves if they were returning only the pillars from limbo or what other creatures may have been there, but for the plot's sake (and the 40+ minute time limit) it didn't bothered me that much at the end. Starswirl was such a jerk dismissing Twilight and the mane 6's heroic events (specially at Twilight) but I can see how he was under a lot of stress and didn't have any information on how this newly met acquaintances could be helpful to his cause.

I absolutely loved how the progress in Equestria was shown by a "search" for the dark places in the realm, Celestia has really been a great ruler if only one of the dark places remained as such at the end. Equestria is clearly an idealized world, but at least it is shown to not have been ideal from the start, lots of work and sacrifices were made to made it possible, great underlying theme there.

Starlight trying to know their foe, asking the pillars was nice and the way the mane 5 stood up for Twilight when Starswirl dismissed her spell was probably my favorite scene in the second part. To have the whole plot about the banished legends been a friendship problem was amazing, I truly enjoyed how Twilight acknowledged her idol to have been wrong and stepped forward to do what she does better.

I was glad that in the last scene the pillars told us their next steps while pretty much acknowledging that Equestria is indeed in safe hands and they need to catch up with the world.

Overall a great finale, it's not my favorite among the season finales but still gets the 10/10 for me.

Cheers!

• Brohoof 3

My life may have been consumed lately by my move to Ypsilanti for my new job, but I still managed to make it in time for the season finale!  LET'S DO THIS!!! :muffins: :D :angry:

• Brohoof 1

So the Pony of Shadows is *gasp* SOMBRA'S EDGE LORD BROTHER, EDGY MCDARKFACE!!! :love: Spoiler alert: his fetish is shadows, not crystals. :maud:

Rarrrrrghhhhhhhhh, SHADOWWWWWSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Brohoof 5

3 minutes ago, Batbrony said:

So the Pony of Shadows is *gasp* SOMBRA'S EDGE LORD BROTHER, EDGY MCDARKFACE!!! :love: Spoiler alert: his fetish is shadows, not crystals. :maud:

Rarrrrrghhhhhhhhh, SHADOWWWWWSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would be funny to see the only power to change him was Chrysalis throne. :orly:

• Brohoof 2