Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E25+E26 - Shadow Play

Hierok

What are your thoughts on this episode?  

166 users have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on this episode?

• I hated these episodes
    • I disliked these episodes
    • I thought thes episode were decent, but not great
    • I liked these episodes
    • I loved these episodes

Mixed feelings about this finale, I like it but on the other hand I hate it. I loved how each of the characters went on their separate missions to get an item and I liked the scenarios they where put through, revealing Starswirl was a bonus but I don't think they executed it properly. Starswirl defeated the pony of shadows by banishing him to limbo to gods knows where but Twilight thought it would be a great plan to set Starswirl and his merry men free but was unaware of the fact that doing so would bring back the pony of shadows?

I thought Twilight was supposed to be smart, a pony with a brain the size of a mountain should be at least able to realize the repercussions of her actions. I don't think Twilight was trying to be smart here, I think all she wanted was to see her idol. I like Michael Jackson you don't see me walking up to his grave with a shovel and deliberator with hopes that he will jump to his feet and shake my hands. 

And if I thought this trainwreck of a finale couldn't manage to destroy itself even more Starlight is pushed into the spotlight again and she's given the speech that maybe using a more diplomatic soultion would be more effective than setting up the pony equivalent of a ghost trap from ghostbusters. Why couldn't twilight suggest that? She is the princess of friendship, she's used it in the past so why didn't she bring it up to Starswirl? Is she really that stupid in this finale or does she have her hooves so far up starswirl that her right hand pony has to step in and bring up the point?

I'd give it this, it's better than the awful movie that came out earlier this month

40 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

I didn't like how Starswirl came off as being a jerk but then he was supposed to have been someone who didn't understand friendship so at least he remained consistent though one has to wonder how he befriended the likes of Scorpan.

I mean as long as Scorpan didn't appear threatening to Equestria or the Pillars. (as his characterization in Tirek's comic would indicate) I don't see why Starswirl would have a hard time trusting him. Starswirl seems to shoot only after being shot at. (Trusted Stygian until he stole their artifacts, lashed out at Twilight AFTER she carelessly disrupted his banishment plan spell)

He said it himself he believes "once a villain, always a villain" so as long as you don't present yourself as villainous or with villainous intent, he'll probably keep his guard down.

Probably helped too that Scorpan was a stranger to Equestria allowing Starswirl the chance to learn more about those outer regions.

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

He said it himself he believes "once a villain, always a villain" so as long as you don't present yourself as villainous or with villainous intent, he'll probably keep his guard down.

In a lot of ways, Starswirl actually makes me think of how the fanbase was when Starlight was first reformed.  Unwilling to accept that someone could be forgiven so easily at first, but for the most part eventually warming up to her.  It makes you wonder if that was intentional.

So something I've wanted to say has been really bothering me when some people are talking about Starlight this episode (and it's not because I'm a fan of hers) is that "she was put completely in the right and saved Equestria again"

Except she didn't save Equestria, she merely saved a life, that being Stygian. Like if she didn't intervene nothing about the ending would have changed for Equestria, the only thing that would have changed was Starswirl not seeing past his arrogance, because his plan would have succeeded fine in getting rid of the danger.

That's where Starlight and Starswirl's mindsets differ. Starlight was focused on the problem's origin being the pony himself, while Starswirl was more focused on the danger at hand as the pony was too far gone and as Spock would say "the needs of the many (Equestria from the shadow's wrath) outweigh the needs of the few (Stygian from the shadow's corruption)." Which is also kind of similar to Starlight's mindset on Pharynx before she learned more about him (her actions kind of makes sense now) but I'll leave the rest of that comparison to @WiiGuy2014.

Still (and this is something I wish the episode highlighted better) Starlight's plan of talking wouldn't have entirely worked either. Sure Stygian was able to be saved but the final shot clearly showed some sentience to the shadow so who's to say after saving Stygian the darkness would have been gone. It seems that still needed to be taken care of and luckily Starswirl's portal plan was there to banish it.

Starlight did have a point that talking is a good way to get reach the human side, the vulnerable side when they don't feel threated (something she experienced first hand) however Starswirl also had a point to be wary of the danger and power that was present and clearly did not go away.

In the end Starlight and Twilight saved a new friend and helped change some mindsets, but Starswirl, the pillars, and the elements really saved Equestria by banishing the true evil once the humanity within was saved first. I can't say either of them had the best plan just different mindsets that needed to work together. Unfortunately I can't say the episode did a good job conveying that.

• Brohoof 4

7 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

So something I've wanted to say has been really bothering me when some people are talking about Starlight this episode (and it's not because I'm a fan of hers) is that "she was put completely in the right and saved Equestria again"

Except she didn't save Equestria, she merely saved a life, that being Stygian. Like if she didn't intervene nothing about the ending would have changed for Equestria, the only thing that would have changed was Starswirl not seeing past his arrogance, because his plan would have succeeded fine in getting rid of the danger.

That's where Starlight and Starswirl's mindsets differ. Starlight was focused on the problem's origin being the pony himself, while Starswirl was more focused on the danger at hand as the pony was too far gone and as Spock would say "the needs of the many (Equestria from the shadow's wrath) outweigh the needs of the few (Stygian from the shadow's corruption)." Which is also kind of similar to Starlight's mindset on Pharynx before she learned more about him (her actions kind of makes sense now) but I'll leave the rest of that comparison to @WiiGuy2014.

Still (and this is something I wish the episode highlighted better) Starlight's plan of talking wouldn't have entirely worked either. Sure Stygian was able to be saved but the final shot clearly showed some sentience to the shadow so who's to say after saving Stygian the darkness would have been gone. It seems that still needed to be taken care of and luckily Starswirl's portal plan was there to banish it.

Starlight did have a point that talking is a good way to get reach the human side, the vulnerable side when they don't feel threated (something she experienced first hand) however Starswirl also had a point to be wary of the danger and power that was present and clearly did not go away.

In the end Starlight and Twilight saved a new friend and helped change some mindsets, but Starswirl, the pillars, and the elements really saved Equestria by banishing the true evil once the humanity within was saved first. I can't say either of them had the best plan just different mindsets that needed to work together. Unfortunately I can't say the episode did a good job conveying that.

You're right that it's not just Starlight that saves the day. It's everyone in that climax scene that contributed to the final outcome.

It was a weak finale. As much as I was looking forward to seeing Star Swirl and the pillars of Equestria, I was really disappointed with it.

What really bugged me a lot in this episode was whether or not the writers knew about the continuity or the previous referencing of the Pony of Shadows. So was it really a remnant of Nightmare Moon are the two unrelated? And if it is the latter, just what was lurking around the old castle of the two sisters? The Hollow Shades, as explained by Sunburst, was abandoned for a very long time but back in Apple Family Reunion, Apple Bloom was sorting out RSVPs received from family members from that same location. Not so abandoned, then? As for the sirens in Rainbow Rocks, only Star Swirl banished the sirens but in here, the pillars all chipped in to banish them, which only left me questioning just how canon some of these things are to the Equestria Girls series. I really don't mind the canon being loosely referenced in the show but just going back to what was mentioned in previous seasons but at least the writers could establish something fixed instead of ignoring them, which only becomes more noticeable in an episode that references a lot of the show's continuity.

At first, I thought Star Swirl's abrasive attitude was passable thinking that Twilight, as the princess of friendship, could act as a foil to his. The older pony being set in his ways of using magic to stop the villain vs Twilight's understanding that her idol's methods wouldn't work. Her being so enamored with meeting Star Swirl makes her appear a lot less rational and it is that irrationality and short-sighted thinking that started the problem. 

If there was a suggestion I could offer to at least alleviate some of the other minor issues with this episode, I would've liked each of the mane 6 going off to retrieve the artefacts to have been separate episodes on their own. There is some potential there to have each of them learn about the legendary pony associated to the artefact they are retrieving instead of cramming them into an episode like Campfire Tales. Each legendary pony can be given a story that adds to the lore of the show as well as giving some room for individual members of the mane 6 to grow as well. 

Edited by EQ_Theta

This is one of the best finales I've seen since season 4. The build-up is stratifying and the continuity is brilliant! Almost all the characters are important to the story and didn't feel like they were left out in any way. The reformation of the Pony of Shadows makes sense and a pretty tragic character in the series. Star the bearded is a prick, but he had good intentions to be a prick. If you remember the Celestia ballad scene where he didn't understand the magic of friendship and ended up being closed-minded to it.

Overall, this was close to be on par with the season 4 finale if not better when you look at the story structure and the characters.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, KH7672 said:

I mean as long as Scorpan didn't appear threatening to Equestria or the Pillars. (as his characterization in Tirek's comic would indicate) I don't see why Starswirl would have a hard time trusting him. Starswirl seems to shoot only after being shot at. (Trusted Stygian until he stole their artifacts, lashed out at Twilight AFTER she carelessly disrupted his banishment plan spell)

Probably helped too that Scorpan was a stranger to Equestria allowing Starswirl the chance to learn more about those outer regions.

I guess I just felt uncomfortable with how Starswirl behaved. He came off as arrogant, prideful, and not willing to accept the thoughts of others apart from his own. I'm glad he changed his way of thinking in the end but it was a painful ride. It sounds like Starswirl has a very short temper that causes him to react at the drop of a hat.

3 hours ago, SBaby said:

In a lot of ways, Starswirl actually makes me think of how the fanbase was when Starlight was first reformed.  Unwilling to accept that someone could be forgiven so easily at first, but for the most part eventually warming up to her.  It makes you wonder if that was intentional.

Given the upfront continuity leading up to this (SS not understanding friendship), Stygian stealing their artifacts behind their backs, and how SP was written while S6 was still under production, that parallel is a mere coincidence, and the attached implications don't exist. The Pillars felt justifiably betrayed.

And Starlight would've gained a better rep in S6 had she ben in much more of them and better written altogether. Fortunately, S7 rectifies that very well.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

Also, as for who wrote it, the leak (Haber writing it himself) is incorrect. Haber edited it, but both Haber and Nicole Dubuc cowrote it.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, EQ_Theta said:

What really bugged me a lot in this episode was whether or not the writers knew about the continuity or the previous referencing of the Pony of Shadows. So was it really a remnant of Nightmare Moon are the two unrelated? And if it is the latter, just what was lurking around the old castle of the two sisters? The Hollow Shades, as explained by Sunburst, was abandoned for a very long time but back in Apple Family Reunion, Apple Bloom was sorting out RSVPs received from family members from that same location. Not so abandoned, then? As for the sirens in Rainbow Rocks, only Star Swirl banished the sirens but in here, the pillars all chipped in to banish them, which only left me questioning just how canon some of these things are to the Equestria Girls series. I really don't mind the canon being loosely referenced in the show but just going back to what was mentioned in previous seasons but at least the writers could establish something fixed instead of ignoring them, which only becomes more noticeable in an episode that references a lot of the show's continuity.

It's unrelated to Nightmare Moon, the Pony of Shadows was sent to Limbo long before Nightmare Moon was ever a thing, as for what was lurking around in the Castle of the Two sisters...Likely something totally unrelated. They probably never intended to follow up on the Pony of Shadows at all. Only Starswirl was mentioned banishing the sirens, but it was never specifically said he didn't have help. History isn't always accurate and legends get muddled over time. Starswirl being a great figure could have ended up getting all or most of the credit for things he didn't necessarily do alone, and the Pony of Shadows could have falsely been considered connected to Nightmare Moon.

As for the Hollow Shades thing, AJ even mentions that a branch of the Apple Family lives there in this episode before Sunburst mentions it was abandoned, so no idea what's up there. I get the feeling they were very aware of all the continuity they were referencing, and just wanted to change and expand some things.

7 hours ago, EQ_Theta said:

At first, I thought Star Swirl's abrasive attitude was passable thinking that Twilight, as the princess of friendship, could act as a foil to his. The older pony being set in his ways of using magic to stop the villain vs Twilight's understanding that her idol's methods wouldn't work. Her being so enamored with meeting Star Swirl makes her appear a lot less rational and it is that irrationality and short-sighted thinking that started the problem.

You need to keep in mind, this is a pony Twilight's looked up to her entire life and has put on a huge pedestal, considering him one of the greatest wizards ever, a pony who could "Do anything, because he's Star Swirl the Bearded". It isn't out of character for her to lose sight of things and focus on pleasing her idols, she was no less obsessed with pleasing Celestia earlier in the show, and Star Swirl is a literal historical legend to her.

• Brohoof 3

The return of the elements of harmony. Well, I would've preferred a new solution to defeating the big bad, but oh well. I somehow want starswirl to meet sombra (and hope), we really need to get back to how these two are doing with thei princess resurrection mission

8 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Was surprising that Starswirl was even MORE of a buttface though....

Well, he had every right to be. Twilight ignored the obvious to simply meet her hero, and by the middle of the 2nd part he is coming around anyway.

2 hours ago, Thaliel said:

The return of the elements of harmony. Well, I would've preferred a new solution to defeating the big bad, but oh well. I somehow want starswirl to meet sombra (and hope), we really need to get back to how these two are doing with thei princess resurrection mission

I am hoping that stays far faar away from the shows canon and they bring Sombra back as a villain.

Well there was a new way to defeat the big bad, the Elements would have just banished Stygian, but they coupled the elements with talking to Stygian.

• Brohoof 1

I'm still inclined on considering EqG as an alternate universe than canon because no event in EqG has had an effect on the main series. The existence of Sirens as well as their banishment into another world is canon, but that they became human remains to be confirmed in the main series.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

11 minutes ago, Tsaritsa Luna said:

I'm still inclined on considering EqG as an alternate universe than canon because no event in EqG has had an effect on the main series. The existence of Sirens as well as their banishment into another world is canon, but that they became human remains to be confirmed in the main series.

Back a while ago, Megan McCarthy basically said EQG is canon, but it doesn't affect FIM's main storyline, likely because they knew some people wouldn't care about the spin-off, and so tried to keep it separate to some extent. It's not really any different from how a lot of random episodes don't affect the show that much, and are usually only really referenced a bit later down the line.

1 hour ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Well, he had every right to be. Twilight ignored the obvious to simply meet her hero, and by the middle of the 2nd part he is coming around anyway.

I begin to understand Ember's dilemma - I mean, one is a purple pony that uses magic without first thinking though the consequences, against the good advice of others, and is lucky that her friends are there to save her from her own folly.... and the other is GlimGlam :)

• Brohoof 1

I've seen the Season 7 finale a few times now and it goes right up there with The Cuite Remark as one of my favorite season finales of the show. So much continually, things coming to full circle, develop, and detail coming out of this!

We've been hearing about Starswirl so much and I'm glad we finally get to see him for real now despite being an asshole. Personally, I really want to see him come back in Season 8. There's so much character development potential within that's begging to be done!

Speaking of coming back, I certainly wasn't expecting the Elements of Harmony to make a comeback nor stay around after being used. I'm curious to see where things go in regards to them from Season 8 onwards.

All in all, great job, writers! I'm looking forward to seeing what the next season brings and given the little preview we've seen so far, I'm excited!

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Speaking of coming back, I certainly wasn't expecting the Elements of Harmony to make a comeback nor stay around after being used. I'm curious to see where things go in regards to them from Season 8 onwards.

Regarding the Elements, nowhere. The Elements just go back in the tree. That was the alternate sacrifice of using them. They lose the Elements so then the pillars will be in charge of taking care of the dying tree, the dangers brought on by its wilting and possibly create new ones elements so they are not tasked with this forever. The pillars would have been free to live in Equestria, just under the contract of helping with the possibly ever present danger the tree was keeping at bay.

However now they don't have to do any of that. The Elements can go back in the tree to restore its power allowing the pillars to freely explore Equestria to their hearts content (at least until the plot relies on them again :orly:)

Edited by KH7672

I remember when Twilight finished Starswirl's spell back when she got her wings, it was mentioned SS didn't understand friendship and that was why he was unable to finish it himself.  It makes sense that when Twilight brings him back, he doesn't understand friendship and is really a bit of a jerk.  How often does that happen to us when we look up to someone only to find they are so different than the one we imagined.  I do like how SS eventually starts to understand.

I was at first unsure of Starlight's role, but I think it was appropriate and it was good she was someone separate from everything who could have a clearer head.  She could see that banishment didn't have to be the answer.  It makes sense she would see that when no one else would. I like that she isn't the one who solves everything in the end, but she gets to play a part in helping Twilight figure out how to solve the problem.

I think my favorite part of the episode was learning more about the tree of harmony, it's roots/planting from the legends that seemed so similar to the mane 6 that it was nice to see there really was a deeper connection there.  It was great to see the map also seemed to have an origin.  The pillars that each of the legends exhibited were so much like the parts we loved of the mane 6.  It's nice to see it's almost this thread of history that has led to them being this almost Knights of the Round table type of group.

I did love that RD went with just taking the shield instead of risking the competition.  They had, afterall, already won the race to get the shield and practicality can matter.  It was some nice character development on RD's side and it was nice to see that development happen with Spike there.

This should have been the movie.  This was the movie that I wanted.

Apologies for the length of this, but there's just so much that needs to be said.

I did not care for the movie at all, which I made abundantly clear in the appropriate threads, as well as my blog.  From the moment that I first heard that there was going to be a movie, this is what I was wishing for.  This, right here.  Shadow Play.  This absolutely should have been the movie.  Of course, to do that, they would have needed to finish S7 (or at least finish writing it), then begin work on the movie, which would have meant a very long wait.  But it would have been worth it.  I'm just thrilled that we at least got this episode at all, even if it couldn't have been on the big screen.

Mind blown.  So excited.  Absolutely loved it.  This was my favorite two-parter by far.  This feels like a culmination of the whole series.  This could be the series finale, and I'd be happy.  Truthfully, in some ways, I wish it was.  I just want a great ending that I can treasure always.  I don't want to see it go downhill like The Simpsons or something.  Anyway, this finale was incredible.  Where to begin?

The lore and continuity was just phenomenal.  I love how much of the series was tied together here.  First off, I love how they were building a season-long arc without us even knowing it.  I never would have guessed that all these characters were going to have significance as the pillars.  It was genius to have them all play a part like that.  Of course, the greatest thrill for me was Starswirl, naturally.  I really hoped that he would make an appearance before the end.  I wanted him to be in the movie.  At least we got to see him on the show.  I'm just so glad that they had a great story to explain where he was and how he came back.  I didn't know if they'd ever have him on the show, but I was so worried that if they did, they might Total Rickall him in like Fluttershy's brother.  Just have him "show up" with little to no explanation.  I'm so glad that didn't happen.  It was such a good story, with so much buildup.  They really did it right.  That was how I wanted the movie to open--with a flashback or narration by Starswirl.  (I won't keep moping about that, I promise.)  I've been hoping for a great Starswirl story, and I've been waiting to see him for so long; I'm just so thrilled that it was done such justice.

The other thing I'm equally thrilled about was the Tree/Elements origin story.  Many people supported the idea of the Tree being naturally occurring, which I always thought seemed rather bogus.  There's no way that the chest, the castle, and the map could have been naturally occuring.  I always supported the headcanon that it was created by Starswirl, and thus, all subsequent things created by the Tree were the result of his magic.  I don't mean to toot my own horn, here, but

I have to admit, I was probably the happiest pony in Equestria when they revealed that.  What a perfect origin story, tie-in, and resolution to one of the biggest mysteries of the entire show.  It explains everything.  It explains how the castle could be designed specifically for them, and it explains how the map seems intelligent.  The Tree, and everything related to it, are basically like a non-sentient AI, programmed with the ability to learn and adapt.  Starswirl "coded" all of this into the seed.  And of course, it wasn't just him, but all of them.  They didn't know what it would become, how powerful it could grow, or what it could produce, but they coded into the seed the magic to able to grow and adapt.  Absolutely brilliant.  And of course, it was perfect to have the elements themselves come directly from the pillars.  It never made sense for the elements to be naturally occurring.  Not something that specific.  To have it come from the pillars and to be reflections of their personality traits was the perfect explanation.  They were the original mane 6, basically.  The ancient mane 6.  They made the Tree and the elements.  Just...mind blown.

Now, this does completely contradict the Journal of the Two Sisters, in which Starswirl and the Sisters simply find the Tree in the ravine, naturally occurring, and decide that that would make a good site to build their castle.  The Journal speaks about how Starswirl had all kinds of books and research notes on the Tree, and how it was an age-old legend and so forth.  So, they scrapped that, and you what?  I think it was a great move.  The Journal was written quite awhile back (possibly before the debut of the castle and the map?), and the explanation in it was rather flimsy. Strictly adhering to that would have been very limiting, and a huge mistake.  It was only B-canon, anyway.  The Journal was a tad....silly, anyway.  Very dumbed down for much younger readers.  It's the only thing we had to go on for Starswirl and the Sisters' past, but I didn't take it as the end-all, official canon.  I'm really glad they went this different way, because it's so much better.  As a general question, just it cheapen the canon of a franchise if they contradict or change something like this?  Perhaps, but I think it's better to change it if the original idea was a mistake in a B-canon, spin-off type thing.  The rest of the Journal basically holds up, although there's some minor, questionable time line discrepancies that I'd love to see resolved in a big, FIM encyclopedia with a properly scaled, fold-out timeline detailing all major events from the birth of the Sisters until Shadow Play.

So, what else?  I loved all the character dynamics and interactions.  It just seemed like such a fantastic culmination of the series.  I loved how they maintained the continuity they had created in MMC, with Starswirl not understanding the power of friendship as Twilight does.  I really thought all of the characterization was brilliant and on point.  I think the best part of the story was how Starlight was the one to question the plan and see the error of it.  It feels like the last three seasons have been building to this.  Think about it--if Starlight hadn't have been a villain, she wouldn't have had the proper perspective to see the right path now.  It was only because she had been where Stygian was that she was able to see what the other's didn't.  And her ability to do the right thing here is a testament to all of her progress from The Cutie Map to today.  Some may be annoyed that Twilight and the others didn't see it sooner, but I disagree.  I think they were doing the best they could.  Twilight screwed up once by not leaving well enough alone, and she admitted it.  She figured that it would be best to listen to Starswirl now.  Starlight was in a unique position to see the right path.  All of her experiences, good and bad, allowed for these events to turn out right in the end.  Having Starlight be the one to teach Twilight something about friendship (or at least remind her), was a brilliant move, and felt like the culmination to Starlight's entire three-season arc.  As a teacher, or a parent, or any mentor figure, there can be no greater gift or reward than for your pupil/student/child to teach you something.  This is what every good teacher should want--for their student to grow beyond just what has been taught to them, and to able to teach their own lessons.  No matter how much one knows, the opportunity for learning and growth never ends, and if the student can become the teacher, that means they have begun to learn on their own.  The teacher learning from the student is the greatest gift either can receive.  It means both have done the best job they possibly can.  Starlight's ability to teach Twilight a lesson means that Twilight taught her well, and she should be very proud of Starlight.  The final hug was one of the most touching and poignant scenes on the show for me.

Uh, let's see...I was also thrilled that they finally made it canon that Starswirl was the Sisters' teacher.  That has only been in the Journal, and I am ecstatic to have that be made official.

The only real complaint I have is that the Sisters were not involved, as usual.  Why wouldn't they have been present immediately?  Why wouldn't they have been there for the return of the pillars?  For the battle against the Pony of Shadows?  Why do they just wait in their throne room until it's all over?  This always bugs me, but it's a staple of the show, and I'm not sure there's much way around it at this point.  They wanted the story to be about the mane 6 and the pillars, and if the Sisters had been thrown into the mix, it would have ended up a mess with insufficient time to tell the story.  The Sisters either would have just been in way, shoehorned it, tacked on to the side, or taking time away from the development of the others.  Still, I always wish they were present for these things.  In the end, like always, it just comes down to insufficient time.  If they'd had twice as long to do it, they could have put them in there with all the proper development.  Y'know, if this had been the movie....sorry, I promised to stop.

Uh, two other quick, minor grievances, just because I have to get them off my chest: AJ's rock was too big.  C'mon, really?  She's not super-pony.  There's no way she could have lifted that.  Why couldn't it have been a normal, big-sized rock?  Like a refrigerator, not a house?  And Rarity's pruning?  C'mon, really?  The village was dead and dilapidated.  I'm sorry, but pruning wouldn't have made it suddenly alive and lush.  I can let both of these slide, though, as just a bit of exaggerated cartoon logic.

I really loved how Rainbow got the shield with her brain instead of brawn or speed.  I think the old, old Rainbow would have raced him anyway out of pride, but now she didn't need to bother at all.  Just tricked him, got the shield, and they're off.  That was great.  One thing I really wished could have happened, though: I REALLY wanted to see Ember show up and kick Garble's f*ckin' ass.

Indiana Jones pony at Rockhoof's place!  With the whip cutie mark and everything!  But....but....but....wait, Daring Do is Indiana Jones!  Oh wait....maybe Daring Do is Lara Croft...  :huh:

On 10/28/2017 at 10:23 PM, EQ_Theta said:

What really bugged me a lot in this episode was whether or not the writers knew about the continuity or the previous referencing of the Pony of Shadows. So was it really a remnant of Nightmare Moon are the two unrelated? And if it is the latter, just what was lurking around the old castle of the two sisters?

20 hours ago, BasementSparkle said:

It's unrelated to Nightmare Moon, the Pony of Shadows was sent to Limbo long before Nightmare Moon was ever a thing, as for what was lurking around in the Castle of the Two sisters...Likely something totally unrelated. They probably never intended to follow up on the Pony of Shadows at all.

It was Tirek.  Okay, I don't have proof, but that's my headcanon, and I think it's very plausible.  I say that Tirek had escaped Tartarus at the beginning of S4, and was lurking around Equestria, biding his time until he was ready to make his move.  I say it was him lurking around the Castle of the Sisters.  It just happened to be a coincidence that the Pony of Shadows was real but unrelated.  I thought it was a pretty cool and elegant tie-in, myself.

Okay, this post has gone on a disgustingly long time, so I'll wrap it up.  Great finale, but I'm glad to have a break as well.

See you, space pony.

• Brohoof 4

23 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

I begin to understand Ember's dilemma - I mean, one is a purple pony that uses magic without first thinking though the consequences, against the good advice of others, and is lucky that her friends are there to save her from her own folly.... and the other is GlimGlam :)

The question is... which is which?

full.gif
View on Derpibooru (Original source unknown at time of posting)

• Brohoof 4

I really liked the scenes in which the spirits of the heroes from the past defeat the dark thingy. Furthermore the scenes that involve the mane 6 collecting the artifacts were quite fun as well. Especially Rainbow Dash and Spike were a nice team.

Starswirl himself was quite cool as well not your usual friendship type character just some dude that wants to get shit the done. Kinda nice to see some person just wanting to completely destroy the villain instead of saving him.

Starlight had some scenes as well though i find it weird Twilight didn't think of saving the villain just like Starlight up on till the end.

The villain himself had a nice backstory and his design was pretty cool.

I would give it a solid 9/10

On 10/28/2017 at 6:51 PM, MegaSean45 said:

So which counterpart is Stygian? Each Mane Six has a legend, but who's Stygian the legend of? Spike, Starlight, or Sunburst?

I would say Spike considering the has the least amount of power and is somewhat the least appreciated of the main characters.

• Brohoof 1