Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E25+E26 - Shadow Play

Hierok

What are your thoughts on this episode?  

166 users have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on this episode?

• I hated these episodes
    • I disliked these episodes
    • I thought thes episode were decent, but not great
    • I liked these episodes
    • I loved these episodes

The two-part episode was for sure awesome! Every season finale is great, there are things that really raised it up that I liked seeing in epic finales. And yet, the episodes did feel less powerful to me than Twilight's Kingdom, The Cutie Re-Mark, and To Where And Back Again. Of course it is a 5/5 for me but I did not feel the thrill I felt in the past 3 season finales that made me say 'This is the new best finale!'. Am I losing my excitement? I would mark it as one of the best but not higher than the previous.

What really put it so high for me are the following: So 'To Where And Back Again' felt like 'Hobbit' and I love such kind of topics but this episode went into more interesting parts than just going on an adventure and that is - connecting parts. However, this was also done in Twilight's Kingdom and although I could mention The Cutie Re-Mark almost rivaled Twilight's Kingdom, I might say Twilight's Kingdom still remains probably the best finale and episodes of all seasons, as it had great powerful battles, Equestria in peril, Celestia and Luna helpless, item connections (the elements for the Tree of Harmony) and all that was in the Season 4 finale.

What was really great - the connections to past stories. I already got a bit of spoilers that heroes that were talked about during Season 7 would be there I didn't know how and to what extent. But seeing all them together adds up a lot to this being a great episode, especially meeting the first teachers and creators (of elements) is an interesting plot that has always intrigued.

Overall the elements of the old ponies and how they relate to the tree and the elements of the Mane 6 was interesting, I liked it and the quest for finding the artifacts at different locations.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se7-ep168-ep169-ShadowPlay-Part1-Part2_.thumb.jpg.17ec29f4e501a5c48ec73dae5208e7a0.jpgMLPFiM-Se7-ep168-ep169-ShadowPlay-Part1-Part2_2.thumb.jpg.4d605ae5720b0dc87c9826a328de6fa1.jpg

Star Swirl The Bearded (Gandalf!), it was nice to see him, as he was only talked about. I loved that they made 'the legend lives because it might be true for some things that we also consider just legends'. As a powerful and greatest one of all, his arrogance was understandable. Though, did anyone notice, Starlight way underestimated herself and not only that but it looked like Starlight had more power than Star Swirl!

The Pillars place looked nice and I was expecting that the legendary heroes are dead and they invoked their ghosts and that would be the only way they would be seen. Did not expect such easier appearance of the 6 ancient ponies.

MLPFiM-Se7-ep168-ep169-ShadowPlay-Part1-Part2_3.thumb.jpg.09556cfb16819d8c3acb9cba30672d4c.jpg

Mage Meadowbrook, the pony seen in Fluttershy's episode A Health of Information, I liked. Seeing Fluttershy going back there, was nice..

MLPFiM-Se7-ep168-ep169-ShadowPlay-Part1-Part2_6.thumb.jpg.18ba5618230a0dc0522a1ae5d27a2596.jpg

Rockhoof (the volcano land), Flash Magnus and the places that were seein in camp tales (If Ember were there to interfere that Garble jerk wouldn't waste their time, probably the one that annoyed me the most). Seeing the places and Rarity going to Mistmane's land, also seeing Daring Do and the place they went with flashback of Somnanbula helped this become so good episode:

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se7-ep168-ep169-ShadowPlay-Part1-Part2_4.thumb.jpg.8806a55eefc0366a2c89984aec4add80.jpg

MLPFiM-Se7-ep168-ep169-ShadowPlay-Part1-Part2_5.thumb.jpg.3fa6a92d0b812eed831b3856e5b7b238.jpg

MLPFiM-Se7-ep168-ep169-ShadowPlay-Part1-Part2_7.thumb.jpg.9df0a73ae19ef89a28a8d3611824698b.jpg

A flashback from Twilight's Kingdom where they were using their elements as keys:

MLPFiM-Se7-ep168-ep169-ShadowPlay-Part1-Part2_9.thumb.jpg.8308b0fac5b8e4f1133943c7b14d193b.jpg

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se7-ep168-ep169-ShadowPlay-Part1-Part2_8.thumb.jpg.361e9683211d92e7210138c84d223e10.jpg

The Shadow Pony, I thought was going to be the most powerful of villains they have ever faced, I thought that would be like the villain-god but it wasn't so. Chrysalis, Tirek, Starlight seemed all more powerful than him. One of the slightly downsides of the episode was that defeating him felt too easy. There were not much battle and struggle. Now I get that every episode can't be 'Equestria in Peril, all Canterlot and Chrystal Empire members captured', good that they went for a change there.  I did expect to see Ember and Thorax and Pharynx plus all the rest but perhaps the most epic gather of absolutely everyone will be in the final MLP finale? Apparently, this wasn't the episode and the powerful villain I thought it would be (I make 2 relations here - Marvel's Venom, the shadow looked like engulfing Stygian the same way and 2) Samurai Jack's beloved samurai girl was consumed by shadow substance the same way).

I must say that the story of Stygian is quite relate-able, excluding the reasons of (doing something for them and being forgotten). Just being neglected makes you want to side with the Shadow and show all those that isolate you.This is the only touching part, there was a lot of talks and less tension unlike other finales, so this also made it less thrilling than the other ones.

With the end of Season 7, looking to see what Season 8 will do for the bigger picture of where the story goes, having the movie to watch too. Have to wonder is everything and everyone solved by reformation & friendship ? I am not having demands, I am not sure what I want to see as end story of all.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se7-ep168-ep169-ShadowPlay-Part1-Part2_10.thumb.jpg.c3240fbde54536ea5a6f00fae3d860cf.jpg

Edited by ImpctR

On 19-11-2017 at 0:53 AM, ImpctR said:

Pony of Shadows, I thought was going to be the most powerful of villains they have ever faced, I thought that would be like the villain-god but it wasn't so. Chrysalis, Tirek, Starlight seemed all more powerful than him. One of the slightly downsides of the episode was that defeating him felt too easy. There were not much battle and struggle. Now I get that every episode can't be 'Equestria in Peril, all Canterlot and Chrystal Empire members captured', good that they went for a change there.  I did expect to see Ember and Thorax and Pharynx plus all the rest but perhaps the most epic gather of absolutely everyone will be in the final MLP finale? Apparently, this wasn't the episode and the powerful villain I thought it would be (I make 2 relations here - Marvel's Venom, the shadow looked like engulfing Stygian the same way and 2) Samurai Jack's beloved samurai girl was consumed by shadow substance the same way).

I must say that the story of Stygian is quite relate-able, excluding the reasons of (doing something for them and being forgotten). Just being neglected makes you want to side with the Shadow and show all those that isolate you.This is the only touching part, there was a lot of talks and less tension unlike other finales, so this also made it less thrilling than the other ones.

I think Stygian is after Discord and Tirek with all power except the alicornsmagic, the strongest. He was quite awesome, but it would be better if they found him and battled him.

• Brohoof 3

I'm late to the party, as usual :wacko: 

So do the ponies call their language "Ponish" then? If so, is that what non-ponies like griffons/dragons call it too? :huh: I'm guessing Starswirl wrote his journal in Old Ponish so that hardly anyone else would be able to read it if they got a hold of it. When was it spoken then? Maybe during the days of the tribes portrayed in "Hearth's Warming Eve". I forget about other parts of history that the show has mentioned... 

Ehh what else? Oh yeah, what a lousy way to introduce Hollow Shades :P. I hope they go back there to see what it looks like without the Pony of Shadow's influence.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hated this episode; for me, it only brings two good things:

- the friendship lesson is good
- the origin for the elements.

But other than that? I think it's really lame; one of the worst episodes for me, in terms of story.
They found the keys in 5 minutes (they could have done an interesting final with three episodes : the first two about searching for the keys , going on adventures, making their friendship stronger, but no). But that's not the issue: characters seem to be idiots , like Twilight.  Come on ;  she didn't even think about the possibility that the monster, who was in the same realm as them, could come back too? That's one of the smartest ponies in the show ? Someone with two functioning neurones could see that; come on, be honest: we all knew that scenario was coming.

Then, something that I really disliked : the legends coming back to present.
... why? Just why? Why not let them be legends? What are they going to do, making funny situations about how they're trying to adapt? Yeah, really funny and interesting.  I hope they do something interesting with them...
Oh, and another problem: did anyone here felt impressed by the legends? Did anyone see Starswril as the great wizard he's supposed to be? Yeah, no, when the supposed great wizard can't distinguish between fake artefacts and the normally magically powerful ones  , he just looks likea moron to me . Granted , we didn't  (i think) see any pony "sense" magic... but this isn't supposed to be any pony,  isn't it? The only thing about him is his reaction: it was realistic and more than justified,  Twilight and the elements acted like idiots in this episode ;  I would be quiet suspicious about one's capacities if I saw him/her doing something so idiotic.

However, the worst part about the episode is the villain. Ok, this episode is about forgiving and understanding,  I get it. But in terms of storytelling ?  All of this mess could have been avoided if the "villain" (forgot the name ) just yelled that these were fake artefacts, seeing that apparently Starswril (and that old pony ) is actually a moron who can't make the difference between a fake and a supposed magical powerful item.

For me the only thing interesting about this episode is the two things I talked about  before,  and the fact that the princesses really were young when they were Starswril's students. But in terms of storytelling ?  It hurts the story so badly, I'm not talking about character development,  but about where this story is going. Granted, this show is supposed to teach friendship lessons. .. but that doesn't mean you can just create a lame story, hurt your universe like that. I just don't see the point of it.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, I.T said:

However, the worst part about the episode is the villain. Ok, this episode is about forgiving and understanding,  I get it. But in terms of storytelling ?  All of this mess could have been avoided if the "villain" (forgot the name ) just yelled that these were fake artefacts, seeing that apparently Starswril (and that old pony ) is actually a moron who can't make the difference between a fake and a supposed magical powerful item.

I think you misunderstood what Stygian actually did in the past. Those were the real items he stole. He had to take them to Ponehenge to make fake ones (which never were made since he was found with the real ones before then). So technically he was in the wrong for stealing the real items and the pillars had the right to be mistrusting of his actions. However, they jumped to conclusions too quickly, albeit logically given the mindset of the times, and that was part of the lesson to be learned at the end of the day.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, KH7672 said:

I think you misunderstood what Stygian actually did in the past. Those were the real items he stole. He had to take them to Ponehenge to make fake ones (which never were made since he was found with the real ones before then). So technically he was in the wrong for stealing the real items and the pillars had the right to be mistrusting of his actions. However, they jumped to conclusions too quickly, albeit logically given the mindset of the times, and that was part of the lesson to be learned at the end of the day.

That's what he said? Ok; it was wrong of him; I accept my mistake (english is not my native language).

That however doesn't change the fact that if he just had explained what happened - cry, yell, whatever- nothing would have happened. But ok; let's suppose my point about that is wrong. That doesn't change how mediocre that character was; these items are very important ones, they keep the fricking world safe. What reaction did he expect, when they saw that? No , sorry, my question is incomplete: what reaction did he expect when he doesn't try that hard to explain? The legends were furious and didn't listen, sure... in the beggining; an intelligent person would understand why someone would be that angry, would wait a little bit, and then come back . But Stygian is a f*cking crybaby ; not a villain. The legends' reaction was totally justified, for me. They were angry, but he was in the wrong not only for stealing, but for not daring to try and explain himself.

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, I.T said:

That however doesn't change the fact that if he just had explained what happened - cry, yell, whatever- nothing would have happened.

I do believe this is the point, but as you say, it's kinda hard to care when none of these new characters are given any sort of sympathetic motivation. Oh, Stygian stole the artifacts because he was jealous? Why should we feel sorry for him, again? And on the other hand, why should we care about Starswirl's opinion when all we ever see of his personality is domineering and insensitive? 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably I'm waaay too late with this, but what about Hollow shades and the Well of Shade ?

I hope the developers will include the place in season 8, and possibly some explanation for why such a strange place exist, and what, in the past, happened in there.

Edited by Krashface
  • Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2017 at 11:45 PM, Hieroklicious said:

Star Swirl kinda was an ass to Twilight, so I hope he will give her some more credit. This episode was pretty good and the villain was amazing. It looked like the pony of shadows was not death, so he could return. :grin:

An ass to twilight, lol. But that’s true :P

On 10/22/2017 at 1:04 PM, Kyoshi said:

I have unpopular opinions for this finale. It had great setup, the premiere of a legendary figure and a badass antagonist, but the finale ended up disappointing me. 

My main problem is simply this: It eventually became the Starlight show. That wouldn't be a problem, if they didn't make every other character totally brain dead to do it. How weird that the only pony who objected at all to the plan was Starlight and bigger shock, she was right the whole time. Wowee. None of the other characters, you know, the ones who hold the elemts and the ones who friggin created them, NEVER considered talking it out with Stygian? What about when Starlight suggested it? Did none of them ever think "You know, that might actually work, friendship and all that.'? Apparently, all of those characters became blind morons just so Starlight could be the one that was right all along. It doesn't sit right with me. If the others, including the other pillars, actually objected to Starswirl's idea at some point, that would have been fine. Instead they blindly followed the obvious asshole Starswirl because reasons. 

That is why I can't really say I liked this finale much. The moment Starlight started suggesting something else, that was the moment I knew exactly what was going to happen and it was so predictable that it hurt. I get it that it is suppose to be Starlight knowing what it is like being rejected for past actions, but I couldn't get passed how dumb the other characters were to get that point across. Also the pony of shadows, as cool as he was, still didn't do a whole lot. Tirek did for sure so we know it is possible.

I probably would give this finale a 4/10, maybe a 5 at the most. Still better than Cutie Remark though. Hated that one. While the finale is a sheer disappointment for me, this season was quite good overall. Possibly my favorite.

I agree 100%

I think theyre trying to make Starlight “shine” so that eventuaully be ready to become an ALICORN. Which I do not want. I said this before and I’ll say it again, history can’t repeat itself, can it? I disliked how they uh...pulled Stygian from outside the pony of shadows. That isn’t exactly....reforming, is it?

This is possibly my favourite season as well, I disliked when The crystal heart was shattered because of Flurry crying. Not much plot, I say.

• Brohoof 1

Disappointing. Straight up, disappointed. The Shadow Pony could have been amazing. And with as much emphasis they put into these old legendary characters and how powerful this enemy was that even Starswirl and the others couldn't defeat him they just had to seal him, made me think that we were in for a great ride! 

No.

Pacing, pacing PACING ISSUE. This could have easily been a gorgeous story arc that stretched four episodes minimum, or an entire season maximum. So much could have been done with this. Instead it was all so fast, it made my head spin. And the pay-off? I felt like they wasted my time. For as powerful as Starswirl and his group were supposed to be, I expected this enemy to be super powerful, like TIREK LEVEL THREAT OR BIGGER. And what was it? A sad, little wobbly, "I didn't get credit so I'm sad" pony. Wah. We get it, that situation sucks, but come on, you're regressing your storytelling back to baby level! Give us something dangerous, one up yourself on Tirek, give us a villain that is threatening. One that doesn't just need a one on one talk session with the mane 6 for 10 minutes to get over a 'misunderstanding'. 

This whole thing, makes me so disappointed, because the whole set-up was amazing! They had me on my toes with it! I wanted to know where this went, I was excited! And then-----

crushing, eye-rolling, Disappointment.

I overall thought that "Shadow Play" was a...decent season finale. While I like the action that they put into it, I like Stygian's backstory and the direction that they took with his character and the inclusion of the Pillars of old Equestria and Starswirl the Bearded, I cannot STAND how stupid Twilight is in the first half of the episode. The mere fact that she would even consider freeing the pillars from their seal, fully aware that the Pony of Shadows is trapped alongside them frankly boggles my mind. How the hell could she not have the foresight or even the common sense to know that this would happen. It's unbelievable that someone with the apparent intellect that Twilight has would miss something so blatant. It has to be one of the most idiotic decisions in the entire series.

I also have an issue with how easily Stygian is reformed. Like I said before, I legitimately like his character, the more tragic direction that they take him in compared to the other villains that we have seen, I think that his backstory is done far better than Starlight's. But it amounts to almost nothing. Just a bit of sympathy/advice from a pony who he's never even met, and suddenly the conflict is over. 

Overall, it's an otherwise fantastic Season finale which is marred by a handful of large, unnecessary flaws that could have been easily avoided. And, while I know that many people would be displeased to hear this, I frankly don't consider it to be as good as "To Where and Back Again", which was just a stronger episode overall.

On 2017-12-28 at 3:53 PM, Momento Mori said:

Disappointing. Straight up, disappointed. The Shadow Pony could have been amazing. And with as much emphasis they put into these old legendary characters and how powerful this enemy was that even Starswirl and the others couldn't defeat him they just had to seal him, made me think that we were in for a great ride! 

No.

Pacing, pacing PACING ISSUE. This could have easily been a gorgeous story arc that stretched four episodes minimum, or an entire season maximum. So much could have been done with this. Instead it was all so fast, it made my head spin. And the pay-off? I felt like they wasted my time. For as powerful as Starswirl and his group were supposed to be, I expected this enemy to be super powerful, like TIREK LEVEL THREAT OR BIGGER. And what was it? A sad, little wobbly, "I didn't get credit so I'm sad" pony. Wah. We get it, that situation sucks, but come on, you're regressing your storytelling back to baby level! Give us something dangerous, one up yourself on Tirek, give us a villain that is threatening. One that doesn't just need a one on one talk session with the mane 6 for 10 minutes to get over a 'misunderstanding'. 

This whole thing, makes me so disappointed, because the whole set-up was amazing! They had me on my toes with it! I wanted to know where this went, I was excited! And then-----

crushing, eye-rolling, Disappointment.

I’m not clear on how a big dangerous monster is more mature storytelling than attempting to depict an antagonist with some complexity. 

• Brohoof 2

To me I thought Shadowplay was a decent finale to the season and this is just my own preference speaking but I really did wish that it was Sombra returning instead of adding a new villain,however, I am fine it mostly because I was always hoping to see star swirl in the main series.

On 12/28/2017 at 5:53 PM, Momento Mori said:

For as powerful as Starswirl and his group were supposed to be, I expected this enemy to be super powerful, like TIREK LEVEL THREAT OR BIGGER. And what was it? A sad, little wobbly, "I didn't get credit so I'm sad" pony. Wah. We get it, that situation sucks, but come on, you're regressing your storytelling back to baby level! Give us something dangerous, one up yourself on Tirek, give us a villain that is threatening. One that doesn't just need a one on one talk session with the mane 6 for 10 minutes to get over a 'misunderstanding'. 

You were looking for something in the episode that doesn't even exist. The Pony of Shadows is a powerful villain, but that doesn't mean he can't be weakened. The Pillar Six, Sunburst, and the Mane 8 had to figure out how to defeat him before he regenerated. Secondly, intimidation doesn't make a good villain. A good character makes a good villain. Tirek in his frail state was a better villain than the regenerated Tirek, because he was manipulative, intelligent, and knew how to make something too good to be true. As a healthier character, however, he degraded into more of a stock villain. Starlight is one of the best villains of the entire series, because everything about her exists in real life, and she never saw herself as evil.

Stygian is the best villain of the series, because we get to see his character. At first, he sounded more or less a stock villain, but when you learn more about his backstory, the more layered he becomes. Each scene in SP, including at Ponehenge in Part 1, leads to who he was and why he became the Pony of Shadows in the first place.

On 12/29/2017 at 8:17 PM, Rarity the Supreme said:

I also have an issue with how easily Stygian is reformed. Like I said before, I legitimately like his character, the more tragic direction that they take him in compared to the other villains that we have seen, I think that his backstory is done far better than Starlight's. But it amounts to almost nothing. Just a bit of sympathy/advice from a pony who he's never even met, and suddenly the conflict is over. 

The pacing and direction in Stygian's reformation make perfect sense. The Pillar Six felt rightfully betrayed by Stygian for stealing their artifacts, since they lived during a very tumultuous era of Equestria. The RM7 are Equestria's current protectors and relied on the Elements on most of the occasions. The end result to a conflict? Blasting the villains. From the get-go, Stygian was not that type of villain from a narrative standpoint. Having the Map declare it a friendship problem tells us there's more in the story and brings SG in organically. Villains don't exist in a vacuum; there's always a motive, and Starlight knows this. The map convinced her something was up. Instead of looking for the quick fix and and allowing the RM7 use the EoH as a tool to intimidate and overthrow (i.e., banishing Luna, resetting Sunset's personality, turning Discord to stone), she looked for the real cause of the conflict so a better solution can be offered. Because she's a reformed villain, she offers a fresh perspective to the conflict. This approach makes the conflict personal, relatable, and grounded.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

The pacing and direction in Stygian's reformation make perfect sense.

I feel like the fact we could see his reformation coming a mile away as soon as Starlight mentions trying to find another way makes his turnaround the least rushed of all of them. Combined with backstory and motivations, I think he’s the best reformation story we’ve seen yet.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, ShootingStar159 said:

I feel like the fact we could see his reformation coming a mile away as soon as Starlight mentions trying to find another way makes his turnaround the least rushed of all of them. Combined with backstory and motivations, I think he’s the best reformation story we’ve seen yet.

EASILY the best one yet. Rather than confining it to one segment and abbreviating it, Haber and Dubuc spent a great deal of time layering it and building it up while making sure it all made sense.

• Brohoof 2

• This topic was unpinned and unfeatured
19 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

You were looking for something in the episode that doesn't even exist. The Pony of Shadows is a powerful villain, but that doesn't mean he can't be weakened. The Pillar Six, Sunburst, and the Mane 8 had to figure out how to defeat him before he regenerated. Secondly, intimidation doesn't make a good villain. A good character makes a good villain. Tirek in his frail state was a better villain than the regenerated Tirek, because he was manipulative, intelligent, and knew how to make something too good to be true. As a healthier character, however, he degraded into more of a stock villain. Starlight is one of the best villains of the entire series, because everything about her exists in real life, and she never saw herself as evil.

Stygian is the best villain of the series, because we get to see his character. At first, he sounded more or less a stock villain, but when you learn more about his backstory, the more layered he becomes. Each scene in SP, including at Ponehenge in Part 1, leads to who he was and why he became the Pony of Shadows in the first place.

The pacing and direction in Stygian's reformation make perfect sense. The Pillar Six felt rightfully betrayed by Stygian for stealing their artifacts, since they lived during a very tumultuous era of Equestria. The RM7 are Equestria's current protectors and relied on the Elements on most of the occasions. The end result to a conflict? Blasting the villains. From the get-go, Stygian was not that type of villain from a narrative standpoint. Having the Map declare it a friendship problem tells us there's more in the story and brings SG in organically. Villains don't exist in a vacuum; there's always a motive, and Starlight knows this. The map convinced her something was up. Instead of looking for the quick fix and and allowing the RM7 use the EoH as a tool to intimidate and overthrow (i.e., banishing Luna, resetting Sunset's personality, turning Discord to stone), she looked for the real cause of the conflict so a better solution can be offered. Because she's a reformed villain, she offers a fresh perspective to the conflict. This approach makes the conflict personal, relatable, and grounded.

True, but for someone to go as far as he did, becoming so nefarious and hateful as a result of how the Pillars of Equestria treated him, for a pony who posses absolutely no significance to him to sway is emotions so quickly is unrealistic. It's something that seems very unlikely to me. Villains don't always exist as a vacuum, on that we agree. In fact, it's probably better if they don't. But if a character is going to go so far as to virtually obliterate a land as a result of his hatred, his reformation should be slow, teaching, more like how Starlight's was, not sudden and abrupt. Then it doesn't feel like his feelings meant anything whatsoever and Stygian was simply the victim of a misunderstanding, which while in a way he was, it wasn't as simple as that. Hate is a very destructive and powerful emotion, not one that can be swept away with the first bit of compassion that is displayed to the subject at hand.

@Rarity the Supreme It's very plausible for him to become the PoS. He was an outcast, even in his own group, because he's weak physically and magically. Even though everyone celebrates and cherishes the Pillar Six, he deserves the majority of the credit for researching and planning the upcoming battles and enemies…but got none of it. That's why he stole the artifacts. In his mind, becoming a Pillar was the only way to achieve genuine respect in the unstable Realm, both for himself and everyone else around him. Expulsion from SS's group meant he had nowhere to go. The Pony of Shadows merged with Stygian and absorbed some of his personality, loneliness, and bitterness, because the PoS paid attention to him and gave him an avenue to channel his feelings. Starlight sees Stygian's turn to evil in his shoes better than anyone and relates to him on a level much deeper than them; his backstory mirrors Starlight's intentionally.

On 1/5/2018 at 11:27 AM, Dark Qiviut said:

While I see your point, I'm going to have to disagree. I don't think he was well developed, I feel the pacing was way too fast, and very little pay-off. I can't take him seriously as a villain and I suppose it's because we got no time in really experiencing how dangerous he was. It was all 'stopped in the nick of time' trope, and all it was was some whiny little pony turned evil because he wasn't given credit? Done. Do. Death. At this point, it is beating a dead horse, no pun intended. I use Tirek as an example because at least to me he was threatening, he got further than Stygian did, the full force of his destruction was felt. We didn't get the chance with Stygian. I felt no real threat, at all. I was completely let down. I think I would have been more okay with the villain as he was, if they had just taken more time. With him. I think it had a great build up, again with very little payoff. And like any fan, I hate feeling cheated. : /

I honestly would have been happier with expanding King Sombra. I think that's touched on more in the comics, but what about us that don't read the comics that often, or those that don't at all? I want to know his motives. I want to know what caused him to turn. While he seemed stock when he showed up, it is talked that there was more, and because that ease was there, I was able to excuse his apparent 'random' evilness. And while Stygian had a background, I admit---it still was rushed, and I didn't have time to even feel any connection nor sympathy for him. He was just simply a 'kicked puppy' left out in the rain. 
But I'm completely fine with agreeing to disagree. I am glad he was entertaining for you, while I found King Sombra very intriguing. I think I might re-watch the episodes with another viewpoint, and I'll get back to you! 

15 minutes ago, Momento Mori said:

, while I found King Sombra very intriguing. I think I might re-watch the episodes with another viewpoint, and I'll get back to you! 

Who knows? Maybe King Sombra will return? Maybe that would make you happy, right?

Edited by WiiGuy2014

One thing Shadow Play does so well is partially show us two sides of a story and make us question the heroes at times, from the very beginning we see that Stygian turned to Darkness but we are left wondering "why" after we see him banished we are left to assume that he is is all evil and the pillars are all good, but when we learn the backstory of Stygian, we see that from the pillars point of view he was a friend who sought out more power and fell to darkness because of that. As Starswirl put "Envy, he wanted more power than he had, and that desire led him down a path from which there is no return" When we finally hear Stygian we learn that it was a misunderstanding and a difference of ideals that drove them apart. Also that Stygian didn't mean for any of what happened to happen, he was being possessed and controlled. He is a great character even if he wasn't an exciting villain.

• Brohoof 3

24 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

One thing Shadow Play does so well is partially show us two sides of a story and make us question the heroes at times, from the very beginning we see that Stygian turned to Darkness but we are left wondering "why" after we see him banished we are left to assume that he is is all evil and the pillars are all good, but when we learn the backstory of Stygian, we see that from the pillars point of view he was a friend who sought out more power and fell to darkness because of that. As Starswirl put "Envy, he wanted more power than he had, and that desire led him down a path from which there is no return" When we finally hear Stygian we learn that it was a misunderstanding and a difference of ideals that drove them apart. Also that Stygian didn't mean for any of what happened to happen, he was being possessed and controlled. He is a great character even if he wasn't an exciting villain.

I hope we see more of him in s8. :twi: