Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Did you enjoy the movie better than season 7?

FlareGun45

I have to tell the truth, I enjoyed this movie much better than season 7! I mean it was understandable because most of the main cast and Daniel, and some of the show staff were more focused on the movie which led to less main cast appearances and less songs. Don't get me wrong though, I did enjoy season 7, but there was alot that the movie had that this season didn't. Actually, this movie had alot that the show didn't have in a long time! I felt like I enjoyed it like I enjoyed the earlier seasons in the show! And the movie had the main cast be more equal to eachother in my opinion, in which season 7 didn't have for certain characters. Plus the songs were alot better in the movie! In my opinion though.

The season 7 finale did travel to the right direction though in terms of the usefulness of the characters, and the story! So this might mean that season 8 could bring the show back to it's prime!

Iunno, what do ya think? Which do ya like better? Season 7 or the movie?

• Brohoof 1

No. In fact, it isn't even close. I quite enjoyed the film, but Season 7 is on whole different level. However, I suspected you would find the film highly enjoyable. :)

• Brohoof 7

6 minutes ago, Jeric said:

No. In fact, it isn't even close. I quite enjoyed the film, but Season 7 is on whole different level. However, I suspected you would find the film highly enjoyable. :)

I did, but what made ya believe that? :P 

As it stands; no. While season 7 has had it's stinkers, the emotional, epic, and story-tellings levels at their highest were more than what the movie presented. That said, I thought the movie was damn good; just some episodes were damn better.

• Brohoof 6

18 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

I did, but what made ya believe that? :P 

Epic dragon attack and probably the best 'show don't tell' moment that Spike has had in a while. Actually thought of you when that moment during Canterlot came on the screen. 

Just now, Jeric said:

Epic dragon attack and probably the best 'show don't tell' moment that Spike has had in a while. Actually thought of you when that moment during Canterlot came on the screen. 

Yeah, I guess you're right then! XD It was more than what he did in season 7! Not comic-relief, just the loyal and awesome sidekick! That was him in the movie! Grubber took the comic-relief spot! ;) But that wasn't the only reason. I did enjoy the songs better in the movie! The only song from season 7 that beat any of the movie's songs was Pear Butter's song in my opinion! XD

But like I said, judging by the season 7 finale, it looks the show would be on the right track again when it comes to the main cast and balancing the characters!

;) Plus, did ya hear that Daniel is gonna go do orchestra songs in season 8 just like the movie? :D

2 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

But that wasn't the only reason. I did enjoy the songs better in the movie! The only song from season 7 that beat any of the movie's songs was Pear Butter's song in my opinion! XD

That I completely agree with you on. Season 7 was light on musicality in general, and when I was trying to determine if I lived Season 7 better than Season 5, that was a hard to overlook issue. Season 7 gave me one amazing song, and two decent ones. The movie gave me five amazing songs ... minus that opening number. 

If Season 7 didn't follow at a rather seminal moment in my life, with a series of highly personal episodes, I would likely think otherwise. 

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, Jeric said:

That I completely agree with you on. Season 7 was light on musicality in general, and when I was trying to determine if I lived Season 7 better than Season 5, that was a hard to overlook issue. Season 7 gave me one amazing song, and two decent ones. The movie gave me five amazing songs ... minus that opening number. 

If Season 7 didn't follow at a rather seminal moment in my life, with a series of highly personal episodes, I would likely think otherwise. 

That's a good point. Season 7 did have a majority of episodes that was really heartwarming, and did answer some unanswered questions like the rest of the Mane Six's parents and the friendship journal! Need more stuff like this in season 8! Episodes with more continuity, development for the main cast, or episodes that answered unanswered questions. It would be really great if we had more of that instead of episodes like Honest Apple and Secrets and Pies which look like episodes that could've been in an earlier season.

• Brohoof 2

Nah, the movie was great and all, but S7 had some of the best stuff the show's ever put out, with the family episodes being classics among other things. S7 came out at a much needed time after the divisive S6, which had many people, myself included, believing the show was hitting a seasonal rot

• Brohoof 6

I love love loved the movie ☺️ Was anyone else actually surprised that they actually killed off a character? It shocked me tbh. Season 7 had a few stinkers, but I honestly loved the character development that took place. We know a lot more about each pony’s past now

In answer to your question, I would have to say "no".

While Season 7 gave me memorable moments in episodes like "The Perfect Pear" & "Celestial Advice"

I found the MLP Movie to be pretty forgettable, to be completly honest &

the parts I do remember I wish I could forget about entirely.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

I was more excited for the movie than I was Season 7. Is it better? No. This season has had some really top notch episodes. The movie was good, but not as good as some episodes this season.

• Brohoof 1

39 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

As of right now, season seven of MLP isn't over yet, so I can't really say if I liked the movie better than the overall season until I'v seen the season finally, as judging it right now would be unfair to both sides.  

So hold your breath! 

The rest of season 7 had an early release last week, so some of us already seen it end! ;)

Nope, the movie was good and the experience of watching it in the cinema was pretty great too, but it's mostly because I'm already a fan of the show and I've been waiting for this for years, aside from that there's really nothing special about the film that the show hasn't done better. 

Surprisingly... no. While i loved the Movie, unexpectedly I ended up loving the S7, especially the finale way more. But in any case, both were exactly what I needed after that abomination that one year ago killed my hype for this series (AKA To Where and Back again).

However, indipendently on what you enjoyed the most, both the S7 and the Movie raised the bars pretty high compared to the past. Nicole Dubuc has a big responsability in keeping high what her predecessors did before her. Let's hope she can handle this.

Edited by Sly

Personally I enjoyed Season 7 better than the movie, but I must admit that the villan in the movie (I'm talking about Tempest of course) was way more interesting than the main villain in Season 7.

• Brohoof 2

Both season 7 and the movie are great but fall short of the MLP standard I've come to expect IMHO, with notable exceptions.  Open Up Your Eyes is easily one of the strongest villain songs and may even give This Day Aria a run for its money, but the movie also has a bunch of meh or maybe good but not great songs.  Season 7 has some lacklustre songs, especially that cringey singoff with Bigmac and Featherbang, but it also has In Your Head Like a Catchy Song and We're Not Flawless.  Point goes to season 7.  The movie has a decent finale, but it's not the best I've ever seen.  Season 7 has...if you haven't seen it it's mindblowing!  I don't want to spoil it as it's technically not supposed to have aired and just got leaked online.  Point goes to season 7.  

For sheer content and great moments season 7 wins hands down, but that may just be because it's a whole season.  In terms of the beginning of both the film and the season, we got some very slice of lifey moments, and some good character moments in general.  I will say season 7 lacks individual character moments for the Mane Six in the beginning and the movie has little but accurate character moments.  The film lacks Starlight Glimmer other than a background cameo, but she's the focus of the first two episodes of season 7.  I'll call this one a tie.  Overall though, point has to go to season 7.  

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the movie way more than season 7, and for that matter more than any season since the 4th. The movie still had the feeling the show had back then and seemed to have been lacking ever since. Granted, there have been many exceptions with some truly outstanding episodes, but overall, the movie captured a lot of that old magic. The movie songs are incredibly strong (not that the songs have fallen off at all in the show) and the Mane 6 seemed more at the center than the peripheral characters that have come to dominate the show. All in all, I think the movie delivered on all the points that mattered most to me, whereas the show has been trying with mixed success to find its footing. 

• Brohoof 2

On 10/14/2017 at 9:04 PM, MegaSean45 said:

I have to tell the truth, I enjoyed this movie much better than season 7! I mean it was understandable because most of the main cast and Daniel, and some of the show staff were more focused on the movie which led to less main cast appearances and less songs. Don't get me wrong though, I did enjoy season 7, but there was alot that the movie had that this season didn't. Actually, this movie had alot that the show didn't have in a long time! I felt like I enjoyed it like I enjoyed the earlier seasons in the show! And the movie had the main cast be more equal to eachother in my opinion, in which season 7 didn't have for certain characters. Plus the songs were alot better in the movie! In my opinion though.

Hide contents

The season 7 finale did travel to the right direction though in terms of the usefulness of the characters, and the story! So this might mean that season 8 could bring the show back to it's prime!

Iunno, what do ya think? Which do ya like better? Season 7 or the movie?

Drastically more than S7. I was smiling ear to ear the entire time during the movie. its not as incredible as I was hoping, and only about an 8/10, but that was MUCH better than S7 IMO.

Having seen both the movie and the season seven finale, I have to say that the finale did a much better job--which is saying something given that it was told in 44 minutes compared to the movie's 99 minute time frame. I think it mainly involves how both projects handled their respective cast of characters with the movie failing in this regard by having some characters with barely any screen time or being there without anything to do. The finale utilized everyone equally and no one felt left out.