Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can we get QUEEN Celestia now?

KillerKingBakudan

That's what Lauren Faust had envisioned for her originally, and it was totally harmless. Hasbro never should have struck this idea down. The notion that queens in kids' shows represent "evil" is both baseless and stupid. Celestia is way too mature to be a mere princess. What's keeping her from advancing? Is she too comfortable in her current position, or is she just not capable of taking on bigger responsibilities? It makes no sense.

The MLP movie just established Novo as a queen for the hippogriff kingdom. She's not evil. She's not leaving a bad taste in kids' mouths. So now we have no reason for Celestia not to rank up to queen status. Luna's the only princess Canterlot needs.

• Brohoof 8

At this point I don't really see much impetus for change; though I do agree that I would LIKE to see it. That said I have to wonder if there is an in-universe explanation for the avoidance of the use of queen in Equestrian monarchical hierarchy. Maybe Equestria doesn't recognize a queen by law? Maybe Celestia prefers a princess?

Could be anything then.

• Brohoof 6

We've known her as Princess Celestia for 7 seasons now, doesn't make sense to change her title now without good reason, even if the original title was silly. Anyway, the best explanation I have for why the ponies go by princess rather than queen is to emphasize that they are NOT a monarchy. Celestia and Luna are supposed to rule together.  

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Midnight Blaze 98 said:

Tia and Lulu are meant to be equal though. (Although they don't do a very good job of it)

But making Tia queen and leaving Luna as a princess just wouldn't be right. 

And Queen Celestia just doesn't sound right...

yeah I agree, princess celestia kinda rolls of the tongue, or something

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Midnight Blaze 98 said:

Tia and Lulu are meant to be equal though.

Maybe before Nightmare Moon's rebellion, but I'd argue that hasn't really been the case since - the pretence of equality wears thin when your 'equal' can remove you from power when they need to.

Celestia has always been shown as first among equals with the other princesses, which is what monarchs have traditionally been (a king or queen has always had to tread softly around powerful their powerful nobles) so she 'ought' to be called queen, but they've got this far with only a few cases of her being called a queen* they might as well keep it up.

*as I recall, one of the Cakes refer to her as 'your majesty', which is reserved for monarchs. The correct equivalent for a princess would be 'your highness'.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 2

Even though Celestia was called queen in the pitch bible, some things were changed after Lauren brought Martin Ansolabehere and Paul Rudish to the team. Paul Rudish is credited with creating the character nightmare moon. I figure they probably decided that with Luna becoming a coruler with Celestia that the title Queen would undermine Luna's position in sharing the position of ruler. Many concepts continued to be evolved after the pitch bible. We don't see 50/50 adventure to relationship episodes, rodeo applejack or much of filledalphia either.

I see it as Queen and Princess being titles given equal respect in the equestrian universe.

Going into Season 8 I would say this would be a pointless change. They can call her Queen, Princess, Your Highness, Fred, Ma'am, Empress, Royalty or whatever... it is accepted by now she is in charge. I think it works perfectly well within the context of the show. Does Rutherford have to be called King now as well? What about Ember and Thorax? I don't think we need to rewrite titles now to fit any accepted notion of how titles should work.

• Brohoof 1

Here's a possible explanation.

While Celestia and Luna reigned for a very long time, I'm not sure if it was ever mentioned that they were the only rulers of Equestria. So perhaps the title of Queen or King is reserved for the first ruler, an Eternal Queen/King, as a matter of showing respect and all successors are to take the lesser title of Princess or Prince.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

As much as I love Nostalgia Critic, one of his pet peeves, Princess Rule, is one I strongly disagree with. 

"Even though the king and queen are totally dead, she still technically calls herself 'Princess'. How does that work? If you're the ruler of a nation, you're a f***ing queen."

— The Nostalgia Critic, reviewing Felix the Cat: The Movie

I honestly don't give a darn about what title is given to female rulers. If she want to be call Princess, let her. As long as she's using her authority for good and not going around unjustly using it to invade other countries or whatever like Sombra or Chrysalis!

Edited by WiiGuy2014

On 10/15/2017 at 3:30 AM, KillerKingBakudan said:

That's what Lauren Faust had envisioned for her originally, and it was totally harmless. Hasbro never should have struck this idea down. The notion that queens in kids' shows represent "evil" is both baseless and stupid. Celestia is way too mature to be a mere princess. What's keeping her from advancing? Is she too comfortable in her current position, or is she just not capable of taking on bigger responsibilities? It makes no sense.

The MLP movie just established Novo as a queen for the hippogriff kingdom. She's not evil. She's not leaving a bad taste in kids' mouths. So now we have no reason for Celestia not to rank up to queen status. Luna's the only princess Canterlot needs.

I would be happy with a Queen Cadence.....

Celestia/Luna are co-rulers. So having them both be princesses is fine. (Also Celestia does not seem like the kind of ruler that would be comfortable with being a queen)

On 10/15/2017 at 1:30 AM, KillerKingBakudan said:

I mean even Naria books had mulpte queens nd kings.  but really would that iconic 'Dear Princes Celestia" really fit nostigically as Dear Queen Celestia? jsut doesn't roll of the tounge the same way

Plus we have Queen Elsa, so I think that for Lauran's excuse for not turning Celestria into a queen is no longer needed.

On 10/15/2017 at 4:01 AM, Hierok said:

The only thing I want to change about Celestia is her size. Why can't she just be the size of Luna? :grin:

Forget THAT. Tia’s perfect the way she is.

Anyway, it’s quite possible that Princess IS the highest rank in Equestria. It’s a “rose by any other name” situation. Changing it to Queen wouldn’t actually make any difference in her duties or role.