Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Windows & Mac Discussion

FlowerSun

I have always preferred Windows because i feel you get a computer with good hardware because different companies makes them to a fair prize.

However, considering Microsoft has stated that Windows 10 is the last OS they are gonna make and they are gonna do like apple and just update it forever. If that is the final product then i am considering with next laptop or computer i buy to be a mac. Some will say well just get Linux and a PC.

Well its a matter of principle since if i buy one then i am sort of supporting Microsoft. One pro with Windows is most games are on that system.

But as much as i don't like Apple, if this is the future then i consider to buying an overprized laptop Mac, i mean it can't be worse. I tried it out this weekend, i managed to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro because i had a paid license of Windows 7 Pro. I can survive the bad interface and stuff, but what i don't like is that they try to connect my email account to everything i do. Its just the lack of privacy that i really dislike. I don't want to give away my phone numbers so that companies can use my private life for their amusement.

So i've just considering just to change to mac if i get a new computer next time. Reverted back to Windows 7 today, but i won't ever buy a computer again with a windows on it.

I have two computers. One has Windows Vista and the other one Windows 8.1 in order to run some games. The thing is that for the video editing and motion graphics I do, a MacIntosh would be preferrable, but I also want to play video games, so I use Windows. 

It really depends to what you use Windows for. Why did you update to Win10 in the first place?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
23 minutes ago, SpiBaz said:

I have two computers. One has Windows Vista and the other one Windows 8.1 in order to run some games. The thing is that for the video editing and motion graphics I do, a MacIntosh would be preferrable, but I also want to play video games, so I use Windows. 

It really depends to what you use Windows for. Why did you update to Win10 in the first place?

Because i haven't testet it out much so i wanted to test it. Once i found out it didn't want to let me "log off" xbox or "store" once logged in which annoyed me so much in terms of hooking it to my local user etc.

Edited by FlowerSun

3 minutes ago, StrawCherry said:

But what is so bad about Windows 10? I have it myself and I have no issues with it whatsoever. :huh: I mean, to each their own but I am curious.

Its just the whole interface the forced commercial ads on start menu. But if Mac does it too then i sort of don't know what to do in the future :twi:

47 minutes ago, FlowerSun said:

they try to connect my email account to everything i do.

You can just not give them your email. It isn't required.

3 minutes ago, FlowerSun said:

forced commercial ads on start menu.

I forget how, but the first thing I did was get rid of those. I'm sure a quick Google search would give you the answers you seek.

7 minutes ago, FlowerSun said:

Its just the whole interface the forced commercial ads on start menu. But if Mac does it too then i sort of don't know what to do in the future :twi:

I think there is a way to get rid of those, yeah. :D As for me, it's no big deal since I don't exactly spend most of my time in the start menu. I really just use it for turning off my laptop or when I have to search something rarely once in a while. :huh: 

LOL. Apple invented that shit with email accounts, so don't think that mac will become salvation for you - they will require your credit card to install even free apps :D. If you care about your privacy, only Linux can help you. (I would recommend Linux Mint or Linux Ubuntu for beginner, they are maximally userfriendly)

Gb4qHNH.png

Talking about myself, I truly enjoy new Windows. I just created that stupid Microsoft email account and use it.

Edited by Crypty
  • Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Crypty said:

LOL. Apple invented that shit with email accounts, so don't think that mac will become salvation for you - they will require your credit card to install even free apps :D. If you care about your privacy, only Linux can help you. (I would recommend Linux Mint or Linux Ubuntu for beginner, they are maximally userfriendly)

Gb4qHNH.png

Talking about myself, I truly enjoy new Windows. I just created that stupid Microsoft email account and use it.

Aww.... well then i am screwed either way then. Well if i get a new computer with a local account i just need to remind myself not to log into anything Microsoft wants me to do. Otherwise i have no idea how to remove it lol. For now i just am happy with Windows 7 til i need a new PC.

You do know, with some adjustments here and there (turning off services, adjusting privacy settings and downloading an external program), you can turn off Windows 10's ads/telemetry/spying, right?

Barnacules did a good video on how to turn off such things. It's more advanced when it comes to the services thing, so just turn off the services instead of deleting them:

I haven't tried Windows 10 myself, I am a stubborn Windows 7 holdout and even disabled automatic Windows updates so Windows wouldn't reinstall the Windows 10 update nagware once I removed it, so I am not familiar with the particulars of Windows 10.  However, certain properties like ads might be a consequence of the particular Windows install.  I had ads that would be installed with Windows 98 everytime I had to use my IBM Aptiva recovery disk, and because I was running an IBM Aptiva I had to use said disk a lot.  Once I started building my computers and using stand alone Windows OEM installations, however, I never saw an ad installed with the OS again.  I hope that don't come standard on all Windows 10 installs, but I guess I won't find out until at least 2020.

Edited by Twilight Dirac

Is Windows 10 really going to be their final OS? If so, how bizarre for Microsoft to adopt a business tactic synonymous to the approach Apple made that might have pushed them out of the personal computer industry after the AIM alliance.

@FlowerSun

Just so you are aware, I will be altering this thread's title to give it more, although diffent, proper context. I will also be moving it to Media Disucssion with the appropriate tag so it can recieve the correct attention.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up in a Windows household (my first ever computer ran Windows 2000), the only times I got to use a Mac were when I was in school, Maine has a program that loans Apple laptops to students to use for schoolwork during middle and high school. I also got to use Macs when I was in college before leaving.

I do not hate Macs and I think that Apple has done a great job of carving out a sector of the PC marketplace for their computers (namely in the realms of content creation and marketing) macOS is pretty cool too, I got to toy with it in a virtual machine. However, Windows still very much dominates the gaming sector of the PC world, and that is one of the reasons why I'll stick with Windows for the foreseeable future.

My current PC, which I built myself, runs Windows 10 Pro. Despite all of the warnings of ads and spying, I haven't experienced any problems with Windows 10, I turned off the ads and disabled almost all of the telemetry services outside of error reporting and Cortana. Before Windows 10, I was a Windows 7 fanatic who bashed on Windows 8 quite frequently until I got a laptop with a touchscreen that came with 8.1. Windows 8 is better experienced with a touchscreen.

windows is reliable- it's easy to use. It's simple and makes room for customization. I don't like how macs have tiny little roller balls on their mice and things hidden off screen :/

@FlowerSun Linux is really really good. And actually you are not supporting Microsoft by using it, you just have to install Windows first. When you get Linux you can remove Windows. Linux is great, really user friendly and doesn't spy on you, it's a great OS and making ways. Once it's surpassed Windows in gaming I will be switching to it.

Having used Macs since I was nine years old, it's very difficult for me to ever go back to a Windows PC. Hell, the interface change between the two alongside the keyboard shortcuts being different always hits me for six and I just can't handle it. Then again, Macs have always felt like better work based machines, especially when it comes to my editing and production work as it runs a lot smoother than any PC I've ever used for the job. Sure, I can play more games on a PC, but I get by just fine with what my Mac can offer. While the price can be a little steep (especially when it comes to replacing wires, components and accessories) it's still my choice to pick MacOS over Windows any day.

That being said... I do wish that Apple Computers did have higher spec graphics cards and RAM packages as that is the only downside to them for me... as it would stop overheating when games are played... then again, it wasn't designed to be a gaming computer so I shouldn't complain.

My family originally used Macs way back in the mid to late 90s. The last Mac we had was a bundle of issues, though, and my parents decided to move to PCs. However, over the years I have certainly noticed that PCs are also a bundle of issues. I suppose Macs are just a more expensive bundle of issues, so no way am I ever going back to Macs. PCs are expensive enough as it is.

I never upgraded to Windows 10. I got a laptop with Windows 8 on it, and already had compatibility problems with devices like my microphone, so my PC and old laptop are locked down at Windows 7.

I'm pretty much happily stuck with Apple OS-X; if you will. Nothing against Windows, but Apple's OS runs more stable, has never crashed, and through the life of my laptops I've never needed to defragment a harddrive.

Yeah, it's more expensive, but it's worth it in my eyes.