Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Anyone feel that two of the main cast were cheated in the movie?

FlareGun45

Twilight did the most stuff, no doubt about that. Rainbow helped the pirates get their pride back, Pinkie befriended the seaponies and at least won them over for a second, and Rarity helped show friendship towards Capper! AJ and Flutters however, they barely did anything in the film other than help out a little bit. I mean they did have a couple of awesome scenes like Flutters befriending the Storm soldier. But I mean, it feels like those two I feel got cheated in the movie. Spike even had a bigger role than them! I would've never expected that!

• Brohoof 3

While I agree that they should have tried to do more with AJ, they tried what they could to make her feel necessary. Fluttershy on the other hand felt nonexistent, they could have taken her out entirely and the movie would not have changed, she hardly had any actual lines and just acted scared or said "yay" most of the time

Edited by Kiryu-Chan
  • Brohoof 3

If AJ did and said a least a few things, Fluttershy really was virtually absent from the movie. I feel bad for her and want to see her playing an important part in the second movie. With Discord. Yeah, I know it's probably not going to happen...

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately, Fluttershy and AJ have a tendency to fade into the background when the entire Mane cast are involved. Applejack is usually the voice of reason and sarcasm along with Twilight, so her role was a bit reduced. Rarity was mostly comedy relief too, so Pinkie, Rainbow and Twi ended up getting the most screentime. 

• Brohoof 3

Honestly, even Pinkie and Rainbow felt shortchanged. Pinkie's sense of humor felt unimaginative for her, and it kinda sucked that Rainbow's big move was written to be nothing more than a liability considering that it was one of the few cinematic upgrades that actually looked like an upgrade.

• Brohoof 1

I don't mind so much that every character didn't get equal screen time, but I do think theu could have used the characters a bit better in the background. Like showing Fluttershy communicating more with animals. You wouldn't really get that was her defining deal from the movie alone

• Brohoof 1

It is a real shame they couldn't find anything to do with Applejack and Fluttershy, but at least they get at least a couple of good moments in and it is kind of a necessary evil when you still have time limitations and want to fully flesh out no less than two others (Twilight and Pinkie).

• Brohoof 1

As I mentioned in the hypothetical sequel thread, there is a way you can make six characters all stand out. Don't put them all together for the entirety of the film; have some of them involved in one narrative thread and the others in another, like how Finding Nemo is split between Marlin/Dory and Nemo and the Tank characters.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

While I agree that they should have tried to do more with AJ, they tried what they could to make her feel necessary. Fluttershy on the other hand felt nonexistent, they could have taken her out entirely and the movie would not have changed, she hardly had any actual lines and just acted scared or said "yay" most of the time

Totally agree with ya. However I somewhat feel that its a very hard character to work with in an adventure type movie like this. The movie need momentum to keep the story going and that leaves not much space for Fluttershy personallity. She is a deep thinking pony and is usally fine with being in the background, leting other ponies shine.  So as sad as it is that she did not get more space I'm glad that the writers honored her personallity and did not try to change it. 

36 minutes ago, n1029 said:

As I mentioned in the hypothetical sequel thread, there is a way you can make six characters all stand out. Don't put them all together for the entirety of the film; have some of them involved in one narrative thread and the others in another, like how Finding Nemo is split between Marlin/Dory and Nemo and the Tank characters.

I think this is almost what they were trying to do, when Twilight becomes trapped by Tempest I mean. Twilight is and has always been like the main of the serie all on her on but by dividing her and the rest of the mane 6, they achive an new dimension in the story. Twilight freinds now becomes vital for the plot of the movie, in a broder sense than before. However its is tricky with so strong personallity traits on each character to give them all enough space. I think this was a good alternative. Also the movie should not be viewed as a stand alone story but an compliment to the show so I guess that makes up a little for the lack of equaliy character involvement. 

• Brohoof 1

They should've been separated after the opening Tempest attack. I don't know how they would've worked the plot as it is around that, but their objective from the outset should've been to make all the characters useful; either that or they should've dropped them entirely.

I don't want to have the mindset that this is the best they could do because I know it isn't.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 1

I think AJ could have tried to calm things when Twilight snapped at Pinkie, taking her role as 'voice of reason' on the group I can see her telling everyone "hey, Twilight made a huge mistake but we're still alone and far from Equestria, let's all try to breath a little while and search for a new solution after that." Then again, that would have taken away Spike's best scene and Twilight's ponynapping at her lowest point and without a fight.

• Brohoof 2

It did definitely seem that Fluttershy got almost no actual lines in the movie, in fact it seems like she really didn't do anything expect be there because she's one of the mane 6. The only scene that I can think of off the top of my head that had a Fluttershy role in it was when she was talking to that Storm King guard during the Battle of Canterlot, other than that she really didn't have any scenes dedicated to her.   

Nevermind Fluttershy, Spike could've been completely written out of the movie and it wouldn't have made any difference. Seems they were so concerned with just having everyone there that they didn't actually think of giving them things to do.

1 hour ago, n1029 said:

Nevermind Fluttershy, Spike could've been completely written out of the movie and it wouldn't have made any difference. Seems they were so concerned with just having everyone there that they didn't actually think of giving them things to do.

What are you talking about? He did alot! I mean he did more than I thought he'd do! Comic-relief had nothing on him in the movie! Grubber pretty much had it! ;)

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

This one probably my biggest issue with the movie. The mane six really should've been equally showcased and developed throughout the movie, but it felt like half of the mane six was shortchanged. This was especially the case with Fluttershy, which was very disappointing to me considering she's actually my favorite character in the series. She was kind of just there, saying things every once in a while, but not really contributing anything to the story. The writers should have made a better effort in giving each of the main six a prominent role in the movie, and making sure each is represented fairly equally. I think the amount of unnecessary secondary characters that were introduced in this movie is a major part of what caused this issue, and I feel like they could've scaled back on all that. It's really a shame how underutilized some of the main six were.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...