Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How long do you think the show will last?

heavens-champion

I think it'll get to ten seasons. Beyond that depends on if the Bronies still hold out.

But in any case I think this series will be the template for any future MLP iterations. I don't think they'll be going back to the more "realistic" earlier styles.

• Brohoof 2

I have no idea, but at least ONE more season with everything I'm dying to see (like another anniversary party episode or another Ember episode involving Fluttershy or more PinkieShy) is good enough.

After that, the show is free to end in a great note.

It will really depend on how much the Movie will pull the sales. In the last three quarters of year, MLP gradually dropped in the sales, making me understanding that the show is slowly losing its powers to pull the sales. If it wasn't for the Movie, I would have already taken as granted that the S8 would have been the last one. Now we'll have to see how the Movie performed compared to the expectations and how the toys' sales went thanks to it, to understand what the fate of the series will be. 

58 minutes ago, simba86 said:

it will probably make it to 10 or 12 seasons . my little pony is a big money maker for hasbro and has been for decades like transformers so i think it will go for a long time

Unless they are already planning another theatrical Movie, I HIGHLY doubt the series is gonna get THAT far. I already explained that in the last year the sales of the merchandize gradually dropped and if they can recover, they will recover only thanks to the Movie. But MLP movies don't happen every year, so once the hype of the current one is gone, things will return to normality and the sales will drop again until they won't be satisfying anymore and as such Hasbro will cancel the series.

Basically, it will last as long as Hasbro thinks the profits from merchandise, DVDs, & any futuremovies justify the expense of making more episodes.  No idea whatsoever how long that will be.

How much longer it should last is another story.  Shows should leave before fans start wishing they'd just die (though only a few do) Introducing new characters/ dropping old ones can be a sign of trouble.  It wouldn't break my heart if next year was the last.

10 hours ago, Sly said:

It will really depend on how much the Movie will pull the sales. In the last three quarters of year, MLP gradually dropped in the sales, making me understanding that the show is slowly losing its powers to pull the sales. If it wasn't for the Movie, I would have already taken as granted that the S8 would have been the last one. Now we'll have to see how the Movie performed compared to the expectations and how the toys' sales went thanks to it, to understand what the fate of the series will be. 

Well, a billion dollars is still a ton of money in merchandising. I think the revenue is going to have to drop dramatically for cancelling the series to be a financially sound option.

10 hours ago, Sly said:

Unless they are already planning another theatrical Movie, I HIGHLY doubt the series is gonna get THAT far. I already explained that in the last year the sales of the merchandize gradually dropped and if they can recover, they will recover only thanks to the Movie. But MLP movies don't happen every year, so once the hype of the current one is gone, things will return to normality and the sales will drop again until they won't be satisfying anymore and as such Hasbro will cancel the series.

i really doubt they will do a second movie, this one would have to make a ton before they would make another

7 hours ago, n1029 said:

Well, a billion dollars is still a ton of money in merchandising. I think the revenue is going to have to drop dramatically for cancelling the series to be a financially sound option.

A dramatical drop wouldn't have been that unlikely considering that the show lost more and more power with the time, and with the low ratings it's having lately surely sales would have not raised at all.

Hard to say, but I hope the show lasts at least until its 10th anniversary in 2020. I personally think the show should keep going as long as they can keep making it work, but if it hits the 10th anniversary, I will be super happy.

24 minutes ago, n1029 said:

According to Google Trends, interest in the series is currently about where it was at the beginning of Season 2, which certainly would be enough to keep it going. 

That's probably a more accurate way to view how popular the series is.

It's hard to really tell how well it's doing as TV ratings are no longer an accurate way to measure a shows value.

Also, as far as Discovery Family is concerned My Little Pony would be the absolute last show they'd want to get rid of. None of their other programs still hold a candle to its popularity.