Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So We Got A Movie. Is A Video Game The Next Step?

Denim&Venöm

Will We Ever Get An Official MLP Video Game?   

27 users have voted

1. 1. Will We Ever Get An Official MLP Video Game?

• Yes. There is enough demand.
    • No. There isn't enough demand.
  2. 2. What Platform Would Be Best?

• Consoles
    • PC/Mac
    • Hand Held Consoles

So we've finally hit the milestone of getting our own MLP theatrical movie. We're now up there with The Powerpuff Girls and Pokemon and The Simpsons for TV shows that got movies in theaters. So what's next? 

How about a video game? Preferably one that wasn't just an educational flash game, but a proper release. It would be the first since Pinkie Pie's party for the DS in 2008 for hand helds and Friendship Gardens for the PC in 1997, and could potentially be the first ever console release for the franchise.

Who should make an MLP game? What style or genre should it be? Should it be a console/ PC game or a hand held? 

Honestly, I'd be shocked if there was enough demand to warrant a game. Granted, we do have some official mobile games and I think that is about as far as that will go. When it comes to consoles games unless you're a big-budged AAA game you'll like be ignored, and I'm skeptical PC would work any better. As such I would think a hand-held game would be best if there ever was a possibility of it.

• Brohoof 1

I do remember back there was a surprising amount of people wanting an MLP game when developer WayForward showed interest, but apparently not enough people to get Hasbro's attention on it. I would absolutely love a good 2D platformer game, taking us through the show's timeline, having bosses and mini-bosses comprised of the show's many antagonists. There's plenty of potential with the concept, but demand? These days, I am not sure, but provided that it is good, I would buy it instantly. Unless Activision somehow got their claws on the license. Then it would be a big NOPE.

• Brohoof 1

I actually would like it if Nintendo got the license for an actual My Little Pony game.  Primarily because of their game design ethic.  I think My Little Pony would fit in with Nintendo's philosophy when it comes to designing Video Games.

Then again, they could bring in the same teams responsible for both Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors and help make a My Little Pony Musou game.

I don't think there is enough demand. Hasbro already has an official mobile game plus a couple other mobile games with different gameplay if I recall correctly. And sadly there has been no speculation from Hasbro itself that a console, handheld, or Mac/PC game could be on its way.

But if they were to make a proper game, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I would like it to be a platformer, a Paper Mario-esque lighthearted RPG, a Zelda sort of adventure game with an open world to explore, or perhaps an episodic choose-your-own-adventure sort of game by a developer like Telltale Games. There are lots of possibilities!

I still want to see an arcade-style beat-em-up, with the option to play not just the Mane Six, but over 30+ ponies from the show. All with different mechanics, and tons of possibilities for team synergy in multiplayer games where you tromp your way through changelings, dragons, Everfree monsters and even Cabbelleron's henchmen. The game would be quick, yet easy to play and extremely addictive. Just as any game ought to be. It should be good for a concurrent PC and console release for a cheap price.

Yeah, MLP is a kids' show. I don't care. There's still fighting involved in some of the adventure-based episodes, so MLP lends itself to this genre well.

• Brohoof 1

People have been wanting a legit video game for a while, and while the demand isn't as strong due to the fandom dying down, I still think there's still enough for Hasbro to consider. As for which platform, just put it on all of them and get in as many hands as possible

As for who should make it, I'm all for Wayforward, they're a great dev and have already expressed interest in making one

Spoiler

Though if it were up to me I'd have Platinum make it as long they get the director and the team who did Transformers and they keep Eiro Shirahama who fucked up Korra and TMNT far away from it

Edited by Kiryu-Chan

The incentive for a title any studio would put effort behind it is altogether absent. Even with the fandom at its peak you'd have to recognize enough of those fans will pay into any random sort of mobile game just as well and the target audience prefers those games.

That said, I could see something like a standard storybook rpg being released. Comparatively minuscule resources needed for that type of game 

I'm not sure. One could definitely make a good game about MLP. However, many games aimed at kids (which would most likely be the case with an MLP game) are cheaply made or too easy to complete. For example, the "Power Ponies Go!" online game is reasonably entertaining but one of the easiest games I have ever tried. Maybe having multiple difficulty levels would be a good solution to make the game enjoyable for as many people as possible.

• Brohoof 1

I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet, but given how long it's been I doubt it will.  It definitely should happen though.  I'm just not sure what genre would work best and I wouldn't have high expectations for it.

While I dream for a real official pony game, I doubt it'll happen. Problems I see, are that it won't be directed at us, of course it'll be mainly directed at the show's target audience, but it'll be risky. Not because a good adventure game with said audience can't be done, but because there's no demand for such a game by them :sunny: 

I've wanted there to be a decent video game since I got into the fandom during season 2, but it's unrealistic to expect one at this point in the show's progression in my opinion. I feel like if one were going to happen it would have happened a long time ago.

If it weren't for Hasbro's tendency to shutdown indie developers, I would say there would probably be at least more fandom games. Which I've seen some pretty incredible community created video games before from the time I spent on a Mario fan games forum several years ago.

If it were to happen though, I'd love a light RPG type game, maybe like Paper Mario or the Mario & Luigi series. That way it could keep with the show's satirical humor through dialogue and also have good gameplay based on how much they could expand on with the show's universe and the adventures they could come up with. All without being too heavy or difficult of a game for younger audiences like some Final Fantasy games.

Edited by Flutt3rTree
  • Brohoof 1

Due to the nature of the audience, no there wouldn't be demand, and if there were one it likely wouldn't be any good. Besides, games based off shows are rarely good, so I don't think it would be worth it.

• 1 year later...