Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Rainbow Dash's musical scene "Time to be Awesome"

GeekyPsycho

1. This scene is about being yourself and not letting authority or society define you. The scene is about the scallywags, especially Captain Celaeno taking back who she is, and giving the finger to the authority (the Storm King). They have been pressured to suppress the pirate part of themselves, literally covering it up with the Storm King's banner, and leaving symbols of their identity locked away: Celaeno's hat, a hook, a cap, a floaty. Rainbow Dash swipes away the banner to reveal a beaming picture of Captain Celaeno when she was filled with pride in herself, and pride in being a captain. When she begins singing, you see her look at this picture of herself with a pained look. She longs to be that person again.

2. The Storm King, and his book of orders. This could be equated to authority, and it's expectations and rules people must follow. To a certain extent, his book of orders could be paralleled to the bible, and the idea that it must be followed word-for-word. At one point, Rainbow Dash tosses the book overboard. That would be a strong religious and political message. I think the book was perhaps more loosely a symbol of societal rules. And Rainbow says "to heck with it".

3. The lyrics. Let go of your "fears and doubts", and let the light within "shine for all the world to see". In order to come out of the closet, you have to let go of fears and doubts. "Don't let them rob you of who you are". Again, don't let others define who you are, or take your identity away. " It's time to break the shackles free". It's time to push back. "And start living like the brave and the bold". "'It's the time to let our colors fly".

4. Rainbows are not exclusively a symbol of LGBT, but they are a symbol of diversity, and boldness. The scallywags reveal a colorful array of feathers sprouting from their ship, and they all straighten up with slight smiles of self-confidence.

5. The boldness. When Rainbow Dash let off her sonic rainboom, she alerted everyone within miles. That takes guts. Albeit, this was stupid on her part, (she put the crew, the mane six, and spike in danger).

6. The fact Rainbow Dash's actions had a negative effect. Sometimes when someone comes out of the closet, it will be recieved negatively, and at times these negative reactions can be violent or extremely harmful to this person. When Rainbow Dash alerted Tempest to their presence, they became an easier target.

I understand this song is a vague and universal message. It could apply to anyone. And I think that was the intention.

Regardless of this, can you recognize any lgbt+ or pride themes within this song/scene? Has anyone else noticed?

EDIT: 

I do think it's about accepting one's identity, as I said, "lgbt+ or not". The message is generic. I was merely noticing gay pride themes. Gay pride is a thing of culture, and in this case not an explicit message, but rather an underlying societal truth with tones of that culture.

I meant in no way to say that Rainbow Dash is gay. Nor Captain Celeano for that matter. I know sexuality is explored in depth with MLP. I was looking at it in a thematic way, not a "are they gay" mayhem. I insinuate no labels on the characters, sexual or otherwise.

It bothers me when people assume Rainbow Dash is gay because of the rainbows, and the fact that she's a tomboy, instead of actually looking at her relationships and how she interacts with others.

This is not meant to be an assumption of sexuality of characters, or the writers' intent.

Edited by GeekyPsycho
  • Brohoof 2

I think the song matches the theme of being who you are and not letting society get you down, which of course can tie in directly with LGBT pride as well. I ddn't think the song was made with specifically LGBT in mind, but for anyone who struggles with having to hide their own identity from the world. 

• Brohoof 7

On 16/10/2017 at 0:39 AM, Kyoshi said:

I think the song matches the theme of being who you are and not letting society get you down, which of course can tie in directly with LGBT pride as well. I ddn't think the song was made with specifically LGBT in mind, but for anyone who struggles with having to hide their own identity from the world. 

This is what I think happens with this song/musical scene.

The thing about gay pride is that, it ultimately is about pride on being who you are. That is the general message of the song, it can also work on people who feel trapped in a safe job and decide to follow their dream (artists, entrepeneurs, social workers) or with teens/young adults who feel pushed by their families into a future chosen for them and decide to make their own way in life.

If this wasn't MLP or a RD song, I would agree that the rainbows tried to sent a more specific message. But the show is colorful from the start and RD is a show off with her rainbows, I don't see any hidden message beyond the general "pride in yourself" theme.

• Brohoof 2

Does it really have to be linked exclusively to gay pride, just because it's "rainbow" dash? I think everyone is facing hardships in his life, no matter what he faces. I think this is a song for everyone and not just a single group of people.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
15 hours ago, Kaa said:

Does it really have to be linked exclusively to gay pride, just because it's "rainbow" dash? I think everyone is facing hardships in his life, no matter what he faces. I think this is a song for everyone and not just a single group of people.

I agree. I don't think it's exclusively one thing or another. I do think it's about accepting one's identity, as I said, "lgbt+ or not". The message is generic. I was merely noticing gay pride themes. Gay pride is a thing of culture, and in this case not an explicit message, but rather an underlying societal truth with tones of that culture.

It's important to note the difference between intent and perception. When watching the movie, I thought about how different people might perceive the scene. Unlike the television series, the movie targeted a broader audience. To someone who is unfamiliar with the show, this scene is unexpected and impactful. In MLP, rainbows are common and hold a certain meaning, but in the real world, the symbol is more potent.

But from my own standpoint, I did feel "gay pride" resonating from the scene. Not because it's Rainbow Dash, or rainbows. I just felt something resonating from the scene. Something about the animation and the crew's facial expressions...  To be honest, that was what really spoke to me. When I analyzed the scene, it was the song's lyrics and rhythm, the execution of the scene, and the context. The rainbows were just a plus ;)

Edited by GeekyPsycho

Excuse me... What? I do not think that is what the scene was going for at all. This is like an over-analysis of an over-analysis of a parody of the show. I seriously have no idea how this stuff came into your head when you watched this scene. I think you were the only person who thought that when watching it. :confused:

Also, I wish people would stop associating Rainbow Dash with LGBT. RAINBOWS DO NOT MEAN GAY!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

• Brohoof 1

The whole movie had a big "freedom" Vibe.

There was a lot (Watch it again) of stuff that bordered on slavery (Sell sentient creatures after all)

So it stand to reason "Fight the man, do what you want" Shows up in a song.

So the answer is no, not directly. Its more a "Be yourself" Song. Don't let people tell you how to be you.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 10/18/2017 at 1:13 AM, Babyyoshi309 said:

Excuse me... What? I do not think that is what the scene was going for at all. This is like an over-analysis of an over-analysis of a parody of the show. I seriously have no idea how this stuff came into your head when you watched this scene. I think you were the only person who thought that when watching it. :confused:

Also, I wish people would stop associating Rainbow Dash with LGBT. RAINBOWS DO NOT MEAN GAY!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said, the rainbows were not part of my main points. And I understand rainbows have many different meanings, both within MLP and in the real world.

And this was a feeling I received by merely watching the movie casually. I later delved into the root of this feeling with this analysis. And no, I don't think that's what they were going for.

Edited by GeekyPsycho
  • Brohoof 1

Eh, you're reading way too much into it.

But whatever flies your fancy..

22 hours ago, Babyyoshi309 said:

Also, I wish people would stop associating Rainbow Dash with LGBT. RAINBOWS DO NOT MEAN GAY!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Yea, it's kinda lame imo. I like the ponies to have more depth of character and a big part of the show is breaking stereotypes and stuff. IMO RD is very much straight, albeit a big tomboy. If anypony in the Mane 6 is gay I can see it being AJ. With her being the traditional country girl one might normally associate with being straight. Because I hate stereotypes!

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Autumn_Breeze said:

Eh, you're reading way too much into it.

But whatever flies your fancy..

Yea, it's kinda lame imo. I like the ponies to have more depth of character and a big part of the show is breaking stereotypes and stuff. IMO RD is very much straight, albeit a big tomboy. If anypony in the Mane 6 is gay I can see it being AJ. With her being the traditional country girl one might normally associate with being straight. Because I hate stereotypes!

I literally could not agree more. It is almost like you are a clone of me. :confused:

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Babyyoshi309 said:

I literally could not agree more. It is almost like you are a clone of me. :confused:

Yea! Glad I'm not the only one :D

I kinda wish the show was more mature and could explore such topics more openly, not only sexuality but other adult themes. Might make for some interesting surprises. But I'll just have to conform with various quality fan works and my own personal headcanon haha

• Brohoof 2

19 hours ago, Autumn_Breeze said:

I meant in no way to say that Rainbow Dash is gay. Nor Captain Celeano for that matter. I know sexuality is explored in depth with MLP. I was looking at it in a thematic way, not a "are they gay" mayhem. I insinuate no labels on the characters, sexual or otherwise. And I agree with you. It bothers me when people assume Rainbow Dash is gay because of the rainbows, and the fact that she's a tomboy, instead of actually looking at her relationships and how she interacts with others.

Not so sure about guessing sexuality based on anti stereotypes either... I'm not sure if that's what you meant, or you do see AJ as gay based on her relationships and interactions?

19 hours ago, Autumn_Breeze said:

I kinda wish the show was more mature and could explore such topics more openly, not only sexuality but other adult themes. Might make for some interesting surprises. But I'll just have to conform with various quality fan works and my own personal headcanon haha

I actually find it refreshing that (for the most part), they avoid the mane six having crushes or expressing romantic or sexual attraction, and focus on individual relationships without labeling them. It's interesting to see how they blur the friendship line.

But I wish too that they could be more open. I have found some complex issues in MLP that are uncommon for children's shows. But they are always solved more easily than the real-life issues :(

But MLP has to be optimistic. And they have to slip the word "friendship" in at least five times in an episode. :unamused:

(edited)
2 hours ago, simba86 said:

pretty sure it's more about the general "be yourself" message and not really specifically about LGBTQQIP2SAA 

Like I said...

"I don't think it's exclusively one thing or another. I do think it's about accepting one's identity, as I said, "lgbt+ or not". The message is generic. I was merely noticing gay pride themes. Gay pride is a thing of culture, and in this case not an explicit message, but rather an underlying societal truth with tones of that culture."

I know this was not what they were aiming for. It is simply a theme.

Edited by GeekyPsycho

16 hours ago, GeekyPsycho said:

I meant in no way to say that Rainbow Dash is gay. Nor Captain Celeano for that matter. I know sexuality is explored in depth with MLP. I was looking at it in a thematic way, not a "are they gay" mayhem. I insinuate no labels on the characters, sexual or otherwise. And I agree with you. It bothers me when people assume Rainbow Dash is gay because of the rainbows, and the fact that she's a tomboy, instead of actually looking at her relationships and how she interacts with others.

Not so sure about guessing sexuality based on anti stereotypes either... I'm not sure if that's what you meant, or you do see AJ as gay based on her relationships and interactions?

I actually find it refreshing that (for the most part), they avoid the mane six having crushes or expressing romantic or sexual attraction, and focus on individual relationships without labeling them. It's interesting to see how they blur the friendship line.

But I wish too that they could be more open. I have found some complex issues in MLP that are uncommon for children's shows. But they are always solved more easily than the real-life issues :(

But MLP has to be optimistic. And they have to slip the word "friendship" in at least five times in an episode. :unamused:

Personally I think other than Rarity and Twi there's no information to base a reasonable guess as to the romance tendencies of the other Mane 4. In my own headcanon I see AJ as gay, but that's just my headcanon, mostly because I find it would be interesting for her character. Now if I had to guess as to the romance of AJ, I would guess her gay. But I know that has no realistic ground to it, since it's never been dealt with or hinted at either way.

By more mature topics, I mean more overall mature themes. Think Legend of Korra, or The Last Airbender. But it is a young kids show and that will never happen.

• Brohoof 1

People have a tendency to project their own feelings and experiences into media that they enjoy, if the song says one thing to you then as far as you're concerned that is what it's about.  Different people will read it differently, you may see it as a gay thing, other people might relate it to any other part of themselves that they feel a need to suppress to some level and none of those people will be any more right or wrong than you are.  Media is always subjective, and even if the creator of a particular thing doesn't have a certain intention in mind when producing that thing, it doesn't mean that anyone is wrong for relating it to their own life in any way that seems fitting to them.

• Brohoof 3

The song casts a wide net. Far too vague to be applied to one group. It could just as easily be identified with neo-nazi activists, as LGBT activists. Different people can relate to it in different ways. Not exclusively one group. It is meant to appeal to many different types of people. Let's not constrain this liberating message to just one group, or ideology that we happen to like.

Allow me to break my civility for a moment, to say that I'm sick of people equating Rainbow Dash, and rainbows in general with LGBT activism.

9 hours ago, Concerned Bystander said:

People have a tendency to project their own feelings and experiences into media that they enjoy, if the song says one thing to you then as far as you're concerned that is what it's about.  Different people will read it differently, you may see it as a gay thing, other people might relate it to any other part of themselves that they feel a need to suppress to some level and none of those people will be any more right or wrong than you are.  Media is always subjective, and even if the creator of a particular thing doesn't have a certain intention in mind when producing that thing, it doesn't mean that anyone is wrong for relating it to their own life in any way that seems fitting to them.

Well said, well said.

Edited by Heavenly Sun
  • Brohoof 2

Eh....no. It just applying to the parrot crew to come back being who they used to be...adventurer, bold, whatever it meant to be a pirate. Since the storm king force them to be his delivers after they were caught looting his ship.

Why relate a political topic for something that is self-explanatory?  But whatever, the song itself is just basically about just be who you are and not let other change you, it doesn't have to involve with LGBT....

And its rainbow because...ehh it rainbow dash?? :ooh:what else would it be?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 10/20/2017 at 9:33 PM, Heavenly Sun said:

I'm sick of people equating Rainbow Dash, and rainbows in general with LGBT activism.

As I said, rainbows mean different things. I pointed to the rainbows as a symbol of boldness, not strictly and lgbt+ symbol. And:

On 10/19/2017 at 7:00 PM, GeekyPsycho said:

21 hours ago, TBD said:

And its rainbow because...ehh it rainbow dash?? :ooh:what else would it be?

Not asking for arguments sake. I'm genuinely curious... what about the rainbow feathers the pirate crew had stored away? We see color outside of Equestria is rare ( pastelus coloritis ). Even the pirate crew doesn't have much diversity among themselves- aside from the captain, they are all green and red, and they wear an occasional brown or yellow. It interesting that you rarely see blue, purple, or pink, yet they have multicolored feathers that spring from their ship...

They had those feathers long before Rainbow Dash came along... within the show, there is no cannon for (sentient) blue, pink, or purple birds. How did this become a symbol of their identity?

I'm in no way implying it's lgbt. I'm genuinely wondering what could be the source of these rainbow feathers as their parrot pirate symbol?

Edited by GeekyPsycho
  • Brohoof 2

15 hours ago, GeekyPsycho said:

As I said, rainbows mean different things. I pointed to the rainbows as a symbol of boldness, not strictly and lgbt+ symbol. And:

Not asking for arguments sake. I'm genuinely curious... what about the rainbow feathers the pirate crew had stored away? We see color outside of Equestria is rare ( pastelus coloritis ). Even the pirate crew doesn't have much diversity among themselves- aside from the captain, they are all green and red, and they wear an occasional brown or yellow. It interesting that you rarely see blue, purple, or pink, yet they have multicolored feathers that spring from their ship...

They had those feathers long before Rainbow Dash came along... within the show, there is no cannon for (sentient) blue, pink, or purple birds. How did this become a symbol of their identity?

I'm in no way implying it's lgbt. I'm genuinely wondering what could be the source of these rainbow feathers as their parrot pirate symbol?

Ah I see what you mean I didn't caught the first parts. xp you got a point there. But I wouldn't say the crews never had diversity but rather lost it after The Storm king force them to work for him.  The prequel  comic says it all. There was also more Crews shown in the comic than just four in the movie which I found that disappointed. but either what I am more disappointed is they didn't implied how the Pirates got like this in the first place in the movie.:okiedokieloki:

11 hours ago, TBD said:

I wouldn't say the crews never had diversity but rather lost it after The Storm king force them to work for him.  The prequel  comic says it all. There was also more Crews shown in the comic than just four in the movie which I found that disappointed. but either what I am more disappointed is they didn't implied how the Pirates got like this in the first place in the movie.

Ahhh. I haven't read any of the comics, so I wouldn't know. They were probably trying to be more thematic when they convirted the story over to the big screen. But why then keep the multicolored feather sail?

Perhaps they (involuntarily) shed their different colored feathers when they felt weaker and something less? A physical response to emotional trauma? But my guess is they really didn't plan to explain the feather colors.

• Brohoof 1