Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Anyone else getting disturbed by old FMV games from the 90s?

FlowerSun

Like i've seen Retsupurae Let's play on such game or Slowbeef and sometimes Diabetus. And i don't know how they can stay so calm with the disturbing part happening in the games. Games such as Phantasmagoria, Harvester or Dark Seed just to mention a few. For me i have trouble eating or feel insanely guilty about it atleast whenever i watch it because its so disturbing on many levels ( i mean i never actually eat while watching youtube videos lol, but its sort of stuck in the head)..

As in consuming stuff i wish i didn't do. I just think there are so much disturbing elements to these old games i don't understand why some LPers look at them and go "yeah... yeah thats totally not shocking to me or disturbing in anyways"

Edited by FlowerSun

Well; it was a transitory and experimental time for video games, so a lot of the content from that time really doesn't hold up well. I mean, look at videos for a lot of FMV games on the Sega CD, Atari Jaguar CD, 3DO, and even early Playstation and Sega Saturn titles. They tried their best at 'em, but as I said they don't hold up for the most part.

I'm not sure what FMV stands for but I just looked up the things you listed, are they even allowed on YouTube? What's the point of those games, like is there a meaning behind it or is it just straight up reasonably disturbing?

2 hours ago, StrawCherry said:

I'm not sure what FMV stands for but I just looked up the things you listed, are they even allowed on YouTube? What's the point of those games, like is there a meaning behind it or is it just straight up reasonably disturbing?

FMV pretty much stands for Full Motion Video. I suspect the reason it looks 'disturbing' is due to the low quality & low framerate; mixed in with some...interesting ideas for games at that time; such as Night Trap, Sewer Shark, Time Gal, and others that don't involve much gameplay outside of trial & error and memorization through various clicks on the screen. Not bad on it's own, but if lazily implemented it can be boring. A famous example of one that still holds up is Dragon's Lair; which is largely due to it's timeless animation rather than low quality live action.

3 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

FMV pretty much stands for Full Motion Video. I suspect the reason it looks 'disturbing' is due to the low quality & low framerate; mixed in with some...interesting ideas for games at that time; such as Night Trap, Sewer Shark, Time Gal, and others that don't involve much gameplay outside of trial & error and memorization through various clicks on the screen. Not bad on it's own, but if lazily implemented it can be boring. A famous example of one that still holds up is Dragon's Lair;

Well the difference is those are just tame and kind of cheesy fun. But those games don't contain much disturbing stuff and is more mindless fun in that sense. I haven't tried Dragon's Lair but those were the very early Laser Disc interractive software i think in terms of full motion video games. Somewhere in the 90s they thought that FMV games would be the way of the future i think which may explain why somewhat alot of experiments was introduced. Games such as "Ripper" 1996 (which actually has good actors that some may recognize in it though people may be critical of the game itself though, but the overall actors are pretty good. But that one is like the only FMV game i sort of tolerated over the others, maybe its just that some are used too it but i just cannot understand how someone can act like its nothing, maybe its just me who can't be into it.)

• Brohoof 1

FMVs game were all experimental fads for their time just like Pogs and Beyblades. It's meant to be disturbing cause most FMVs focus on the Horror genre and its a video game so suspension of disbelief is to be expected. Famous one is Night-Trap for Sega-CD.

However, not all FMVs sucked on the Sega CD. There are gems like the Lunar RPG Franchise that debuted on Sega-CD being some of the best RPGs ever made with some FMV cutscenes that looked pretty decent for their time.

WARNING: If you're allergic to Cheesy 90s, then don't watch. Otherwise, skip the video here and there to see the FMV cutscenes. Viewer Discretion is Advised :lol: