Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else disappointed that the film left almost no impact?

Toon4Thought

Now, to be completely clear here, I really enjoyed the movie that we got. Like, a solid 8.5/10. I believe it was worth all the effort and the big-budget advances, and while it isn't flawless by any stretch, to say the positives outweigh them would be the understatement of the year.

However, I am disappointed by how the film seems to be basically a small blip on the radar among the public. Even before the movie was announced, I was imagining in my head that one would be so phenomenal that it would basically break the misconception that just because it's made for girls it must suck, and bring the entire property to a level of popularity previously never even imagined. I mean, the Lego Movie accomplished a very similar feat on both fronts.

But it turns out, not only is the film not doing very well financially, but it seemed to just come and go at the blink of an eye. It's getting rather mediocre ratings on most sources, and it never even seemed to get much buzz anywhere. The consensus seems to be that this would mainly appeal to the fans and not really non-fans (though I have seen a couple exceptions on both ends), and while I most definitely see that while watching the film, it does make me wonder if the film could have potentially won over non-fans if it was done just a little differently. Or, if it was meant to appeal just to fans, they should've just gone all out with that direction and made it the best dang thing ever for us.

It just feels like both in and out of the fandom, it's leaving little more of an impression than your average Equestria Girls film. And for something that I and so many others wanted to see on the big screen for a long time, and an experience that the majority of us feel for the most part delivered, I was expecting it to leave at least somewhat of an impact, even if it was little more than social media trending. I mean, really think about what it could have done to American film animation if it was a major success.

Maybe I was just thinking unrealistically here, but I will admit, it's hard not to think about how IMO this film should've been much more of a hot topic than it actually was, especially out of the fanbase. Would you agree, and what is your own perspective here?

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 7

When the show first started, it garnered a lot of attention because of how it broke social norms and appealed beyond its target audience. The MLP movie didn't do the same because, well, the fandom is no longer a new thing. It's not trendy like it was before; it has no reason to expand beyond what it's already become. The media isn't going to focus on anything that isn't novelty, and the movie to the rest of the world just seems like another installation in a franchise that they don't know much about. Understanding the movie requires you to have some prior knowledge on the characters, so for an introductory piece, the movie isn't a good thing for that. The only way the franchise could attract another massive surge is a 5th generation, provided it's much different from FiM and has a broad appeal.

• Brohoof 5

If it was released when the show and fandom was still a huge thing, the movie may of left a larger impact to the general public. Almost 7 years later, it struggles to even catch the radar and I believe that's why it performed the way it did. 

I don't have a problem with it - it's at least partially a reboot, Bringing a new audience into the ponyverse, and at least some will reach beyond the merch to become hooked on FiM.  But yeah, it was released on the tail end of the upsurge of popularity.  They are also experimenting with video on demand and youtube too, so there is that...

Honestly; I really wasn't expecting much of an impact. My fandom interests aside, the film is very by the numbers. It's quite similar to a LOT of other stories that have come and gone, and it doesn't help that the film has its own share of flaws when reviewed by non-brony critics. Even some of the more positively worded reviews from critics tended to say "very cute" or "I had a lot of fun with this film," and while those are good reviews, they are FAR from earth-shattering.

Granted the fandom doesn't seem as unique to the general public as it once did, but I question the notion that had the movie been released around season 1 or 2 it would've done any better. I really don't see the happening.

• Brohoof 3

I saw the movie because my sister, who likes the show but has never trudged into the pit of the fandom and doesn't keep up with pony stuff on the regular, wanted to.

And that's about the kind of outside appeal I think you could ever have expected without Disney level branding and a bolder narrative. Breaking the toy product image is tough. You need a lot of momentum 

• Brohoof 1

45 minutes ago, Star Mist said:

If it was released when the show and fandom was still a huge thing, the movie may of left a larger impact to the general public. Almost 7 years later, it struggles to even catch the radar and I believe that's why it performed the way it did. 

You mean...decently? This idea that the movie would be some huge success if it was during the fandoms prime is beyond silly. It likely would have done mildly better. The fandom is still very large today, it was bigger back in the day but more importantly, it was far louder.

Really if Hasbro wanted the show/franchise to be some big thing again they would have to put it on a better network and advertise it more.

The movie is at 26M worldwide so it is doing okay.

Deep down, I truly did hope that the movie could have ignited a brand new spark for the fandom, bringing in loads of new fans and sorta creating a new era, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. The movie was never really pushed to achieve that with its marketing and I wouldn't be surprised if the stigma of MLP only being for little girls is still very present in the minds of many people. It doesn't matter though, because from what I have seen, the majority of fans did enjoy the film, quite so. In the end, that is probably the best thing we could have hoped for.

9 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

You mean...decently? This idea that the movie would be some huge success if it was during the fandoms prime is beyond silly. It likely would have done mildly better. The fandom is still very large today, it was bigger back in the day but more importantly, it was far louder.

Really if Hasbro wanted the show/franchise to be some big thing again they would have to put it on a better network and advertise it more.

Sounds like the movie will at least break even then, that is good news.

• Brohoof 2

17 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Deep down, I truly did hope that the movie could have ignited a brand new spark for the fandom, bringing in loads of new fans and sorta creating a new era, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. The movie was never really pushed to achieve that with its marketing and I wouldn't be surprised if the stigma of MLP only being for little girls is still very present in the minds of many people. It doesn't matter though, because from what I have seen, the majority of fans did enjoy the film, quite so. In the end, that is probably the best thing we could have hoped for.

Sounds like the movie will at least break even then, that is good news.

THe rumored budget is 30 million, it will pass that before next weekend.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Kind of a random tangent, but I've honestly been wondering for a while why they are still bothering with Discovery Family. Forget ratings, that channel is so irrelevant by now that I don't think even the people running it care. I think them putting shows like Hanazuki and Equestria Girls on YouTube is literally more profitable at this point.

If this movie is any indication I don't think a film released at the peak of the series' popularity would've fared much better. Clearly, merchandising was of greater priority with how the movie was structured than any considerations for the roles and motivations of the characters, and I'm sure that would've been just as much the case for a movie fast tracked to come out at peak popularity.

I know Thiessen and McCarthy are capable of a lot better (as is Big Jim Miller, if Thiessen for some reason can't do it), so hopefully this is just profitable enough to warrant another chance.

Edited by n1029

Had this been released back on 2012 - 2013, it might have been more successful. But I guess the producers didn't see a need to exploit it too early and thus they released the Equestria Girls series. I joined the fandom in 2013, and back then, I would have been PUMPED UP to see an actual MLP movie that was not Equestria Girls.

I have tons of friends I just met at my collage who LOVE MLP:FiM, but I don't know why they're not going to see the film... might be because of our country's dub. Not awful by any means, but it's sometimes laughably bad. Very few of them know about the leaks, and one told me if I knew of the leak, if I could pass her the link. Honestly, I first saw the leaked version, and THEN I payed to see the dubbed version to contribute for ONCE to the franchise. But when I saw the movie, I made sure that only those I trusted the most knew about my love for the franchise and that I saw seeing the movie. I believe that the fear of going to see the MLP Movie and being judged for it might be another reason why it's not as successful as we hoped :/

3 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

Kind of a random tangent, but I've honestly been wondering for a while why they are still bothering with Discovery Family. Forget ratings, that channel is so irrelevant by now that I don't think even the people running it care. I think them putting shows like Hanazuki and Equestria Girls on YouTube is literally more profitable at this point.

Honestly I believe Hasbro are locked into some sort of deal to keep certain shows on Discovery, Hasbro already has a license on CN with Transformers so moving MLP to there would be nice.

I was thinking there would be a bigger impact. I was hoping it would bring back a lot of fans from the peak of the fandom.

However, the film was a big success still, even though it didn't bring back a huge part of the fandom.

It is like you expected it to to change the world or something or usher in a new age of golden family entertainment.

The only impact of any importance is the one the film left upon you. If you loved it, then mission accomplished I would say. Everything else should just be white noise at that point.

• Brohoof 4

I've expected a second rise in the fandom as well. I'm disappointed it wasn't the case :sunny: 

7 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Those are big numbers indeed, but we have to see numbers compared to the overall cost 

7 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

THe rumored budget is 30 million, it will pass that before next weekend.

Assuming that's true, it'll still be a commercial failure, because films must make at least TWICE the budget to be financially successful due to distribution and stuff

6 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

Not only that ponies are virtually the only worthwhile show on channel, but the channel it's becoming increasingly less accessible by the day. As crappy as CN is today, it has a better programming than DF has today :dry: 

1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

It is like you expected it to to change the world or something or usher in a new age of golden family entertainment.

The only impact of any importance is the one the film left upon you. If you loved it, then mission accomplished I would say. Everything else should just be white noise at that point.

That may be true, but it would've been better for it to have been a huge success, so we could possibly get a sequel or something :dash: 

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I've expected a second rise in the fandom as well. I'm disappointed it wasn't the case :sunny: 

Those are big numbers indeed, but we have to see numbers compared to the overall cost 

Assuming that's true, it'll still be a commercial failure, because films must make at least TWICE the budget to be financially successful due to distribution and stuff

Not only that ponies are virtually the only worthwhile show on channel, but the channel it's becoming increasingly less accessible by the day. As crappy as CN is today, it has a better programming than DF has today :dry: 

That may be true, but it would've been better for it to have been a huge success, so we could possibly get a sequel or something :dash: 

The movie still has yet to open in a few decent markets, it will make double I guarantee it.

I thought the movie was pretty good overall, but I think us existing fans are going to get more out of it.

I'm definitely disappointed that the movie isn't making a bigger impact, yet not surprised. The animation turned out really well (better than I was expecting- except for Cadence.) The sound/music was very well done also. Realistically though I didn't think it was going to be anywhere near a blockbuster either. Hasbro seemed to have have conservative expectations too, since there really wasn't much advertising. I wasn't expecting anything mind blowing either. It IS a kids move based on a kids show and PG, so there's only so much the writers can do.

Just being MLP is more than a few nails in the coffin right off the bat. It's not something that a lot of society gives much merit to.

59e56d7d09f66_ahha.png.38ce9c9e4317879ae0b1b93a841a05f1.png

More often than not it's still scoffed at... and then forgotten about.

I don't see the movie really hooking a whole lot of new viewers into the show or fandom. If you think about it, there's A LOT of characters in this movie for a newcomer to "get to know" properly in just over an hour and a half. Watching them through 7 seasons WE know what's great about them. That's something that you can't really do anything about. Unfortunately, I think more people may walk away like, "OK, that was nice, but I don't see what all the hype/hubbub is about with all this."

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, immblueversion said:

According to Box Office Mojo, they reverted the foreign gross from $10 million to $4 million, bringing the numbering for the total worldwide gross down to just barely under $20 million.

Honestly, I legit can't tell whether or not it's because they have yet to get a reliable estimate on those. I've heard some markets take a while to gather such statistics.

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

CN's app alone, which the network actively encourages their viewers to use, would give the show a ton of exposure for sure even if it would end up on early Saturdays.

3 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Really, I just wanted this to be successful enough to encourage more studios to try different things in American film animation, not just in storytelling and tone but also in visuals. We really need a resurgence of 2D because all the mainstream 3D films basically look the same now and I can't think of much more that even could be done with it. Sure, this only would've been a starting point even if it was majorly successful, but if you don't have a starting point you can't have progress.

36 minutes ago, Cirrus. said:

I don't see the movie really hooking a whole lot of new viewers into the show or fandom. If you think about it, there's A LOT of characters in this movie for a newcomer to "get to know" properly in just over an hour and a half. Watching them through 7 seasons WE know what's great about them. That's something that you can't really do anything about. Unfortunately, I think more people may walk away like, "OK, that was nice, but I don't see what all the hype/hubbub is about with all this."

As true as that statement is, honestly one of the few legitimate issues I do have with the film is that I felt the first time we saw the Mane 6 weren't particularly great first impressions. And by that I mean, when making a movie on it that is also intended to appeal to non-fans, you basically need to fully establish the main characters as soon as possible by best summing them up in a single moment. They tried to do that, but it's a little drawn out and not particularly fluid.

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Firedog said:

Not true. Common for films not to make there full cost back.

https://priceonomics.com/why-do-all-hollywood-movies-lose-money/

Man, after so many years, I'm starting to know more of the cinematic industry due to ponies :D . Now the movie having a budget of 5-8 million dollars rumor doesn't sounds so far fetched :dash: 

1 minute ago, Toon4Thought said:

Really, I just wanted this to be successful enough to encourage more studios to try different things in American film animation, not just in storytelling and tone but also in visuals. We really need a resurgence of 2D because all the mainstream 3D films basically look the same now and I can't think of much more that even could be done with it. Sure, this only would've been a starting point even if it was majorly successful, but if you don't have a starting point you can't have progress.

That was what I was kind of hoping this movie might do too. I like 2D much more than 3D animated films. 22 years of it (since Toy Story) and it's really starting to get boring to me. The movement/motion just still isn't right. 2D animation can look much more unique and the artists have more control over the movement. It's not that glidy stretchy look that 3D animation has (I can't think of how to better explain what bugs me about it).

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Cirrus. said:

That was what I was kind of hoping this movie might do too. I like 2D much more than 3D animated films. 22 years of it (since Toy Story) and it's really starting to get boring to me. The movement/motion just still isn't right. 2D animation can look much more unique and the artists have more control over the movement. It's not that glidy stretchy look that 3D animation has (I can't think of how to better explain what bugs me about it).

Yeah, ponies animations in the movie and looks where a delight to watch :squee:. That reminds me, I WAS supposed to rewatch the movie last week, and.... I have yet to do so :muffins: 

• Brohoof 1