Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else disappointed that the film left almost no impact?

Toon4Thought

To make an impact, you need marketing; you just need it, it can singlehandedly make a crap movie a success and a good movie a failure (look at the emoji movie sitting pretty at 200 million despite being universally panned and despised by BOTH audiences and critics. Marketing).

What the HECK was lion'sgate doing here? were they doing ANYTHING? Like, I'd almost want to accuse them of embezzling their marketing money Producers style out of a prediction of "LOL little girls movie, who'll know?".

They should have been jamming this thing into a crapton of previews, in front of every movie they could, slather every possible internet and TV venue they can think of with the message "This isn't the 80s MLP!", to fight back against the MLP stigma like how Trollz managed to do.

On 10/31/2017 at 10:08 PM, Unlikeable Pony said:

To make an impact, you need marketing; you just need it, it can singlehandedly make a crap movie a success and a good movie a failure (look at the emoji movie sitting pretty at 200 million despite being universally panned and despised by BOTH audiences and critics. Marketing).

What the HECK was lion'sgate doing here? were they doing ANYTHING? Like, I'd almost want to accuse them of embezzling their marketing money Producers style out of a prediction of "LOL little girls movie, who'll know?".

They should have been jamming this thing into a crapton of previews, in front of every movie they could, slather every possible internet and TV venue they can think of with the message "This isn't the 80s MLP!", to fight back against the MLP stigma like how Trollz managed to do.

On 10/30/2017 at 4:59 PM, Regent said:

I saw exactly one ad (on tv). It was the most phoned-in bullcrap I had ever seen. Everything about it said, "only little girls will like this." You'd be forgiven for thinking it was a direct-to-video movie. I don't know if it's the same ad they have on the internet, I thought there was more than one, but the first one seemed to be pretty rushed too.

Heck, I didn't even know that it was out until I came to this forum. If someone's talking about it, I'll have to look for them, because I don't see any mention of it on my typical YT and Facebook feeds.

I can only imagine that it was a disappointment... but then I saw all the Equestria Girl flicks, so I might as well watch this one when it comes to Xfinity. If it comes.

I may actually have to disagree with you here.  Sure, it wasn't promoted as much as the bigger movies (Marvel, Star Wars, DC, etc.), but it still got the word out there fairly well.  There were posters in theaters, big signs up in stores, I walked by the TV and saw a trailer on more than one occasion, and my Mom even heard them talking about it on some of her talk shows before it hit theaters.  When my MOM knows there's an MLP movie coming out, I think that's a good sign they did their job.  I saw more ads for this than about 90% of what hits theaters.

Of course, that could just have been my area.  Just because my Target had signs and a display case right when you walked in doesn't mean the ad complain was as successful elsewhere.