Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could Gen 5. start with Gen 4. still going?

Firedog

Could a new Gen start with Gen 4 still going?  

20 users have voted

1. 1. Could a new Gen start with Gen 4 still going?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Do you think it is possible Gen 5 could start while Gen 4 is still going for hasbro to test the waters?

Or potentially Hasbro releases a teaser episode of some kind for gen 5??

Frankly I will be astounded if Hasbro doesn't take the opportunity to push another show while FiM is being wrapped up. I think it's likely they keep the same style for at least another series and personally would hope they give a spin-off a try before a totally new generation.

Also wouldn't surprise me if they simultaneously attempt to run a blocky 3d animated series instead, though I pray such a nightmare does not come into being.

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, Ivan The Adorable said:

Frankly I will be astounded if Hasbro doesn't take the opportunity to push another show while FiM is being wrapped up. I think it's likely they keep the same style for at least another series and personally would hope they give a spin-off a try before a totally new generation.

Isn't that pretty much what is happening with Youtube though - between the upcoming EqG and Hanazuki ?

28 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Isn't that pretty much what is happening with Youtube though - between the upcoming EqG and Hanazuki ?

True. EqG has been very successful for them in this regard. 

For those of us who are less fond of revisiting high school, do hope some of that success translates to a new pony series, though.

2 minutes ago, Ivan The Adorable said:

True. EqG has been very successful for them in this regard. 

For those of us who are less fond of revisiting high school, do hope some of that success translates to a new pony series, though.

Interested to see where they go with it in an episodic format. There is also the fact that Starswirl didn't just create portals to one other universe, but to dozens, and it would be really interesting to see where the CMC go once they graduate and have to earn bits (although they could be funded as a public service role, which is what I assume is true for Fluttershy and RD)

So lots of places they can go yet without having to reboot.

• Brohoof 1

Not, it'd be absurd to run G5 alongside a still going G4 :dry: . They COULD, make a spinoff show, but it'll still be G4, or G4.5 at most. Seriously? Why everyone keeps thinking a new show equals G5 :scots: ? 

I understand that G4 would involve MLP:FiM, Equestria Girls, The Movie (2017) and any other spin off that may come from them so, I don't think Hasbro would jump to a new gen without having drained the full potential of this one.

The world and the rich characters built for this generation still have lots of potential when looking at them from different angles, even if Friendship is Magic or Equestria Girls end their cycles they already have an off target audience willing to keep consuming gen 4. Aiming for a whole new generation would be an unnecessary move in my opinion.

I think this gen have at least another 5 years worth of content and that would be assuming any spin off, besides Equestria Girls, would fail to achieve its commercial objective in its medium term.

Not to be pedantic, but "gens" refer to iterations of the toy line.  Shows can operate in line with the toy gens, but they don't have to.  The first MLP series, which is commonly called G1 actually includes G2 ponies in its second season.  Pony Tales also includes both G1 and G2 ponies.  There is not actually a true "G2" series contrary to popular belief as G2 ponies were just added to the original show, and then co-starred with G1 ponies in the next one.  The previous MLP series is often referred to as G3 as it exclusively stars G3 ponies, while FiM exclusively stars G4 ponies thus far, so that's where the misconception comes in.  But, past history indicates that rolling out a new gen of toys doesn't necessitate making a new show.

As for whether they do try and reboot MLP again with a new show, I'm going to say...maybe.  It would definitely be a risk on their part.  Sure, if they could make FiM a success they could do so again with a new show, but they have to hope lightning will strike a second time.  They did try to push their Littlest Petshop reboot with limited success, so it actually kind of makes sense that they've stuck with FiM as long as they have.  Why reinvent the wheel if it works fine as is?  There's no guarantee it will work out again in nearly the same way.  

• Brohoof 2

Yes. It's just going to be the transitional phase. Stores will still have some of the old G4 toys still on the shelves as Hasbro is prepping and sending out the new toys, and there's a chance there might still be some EqG shorts or something that were still in production at the same time as they were starting up a new series, kind of like the G3's Newborn Cutie shorts being made and released around the same time FiM debut.

On 10/17/2017 at 5:30 PM, AlbaTross said:

The first MLP series, which is commonly called G1 actually includes G2 ponies in its second season.  Pony Tales also includes both G1 and G2 ponies.  There is not actually a true "G2" series contrary to popular belief as G2 ponies were just added to the original show, and then co-starred with G1 ponies in the next one.  The previous MLP series is often referred to as G3 as it exclusively stars G3 ponies, while FiM exclusively stars G4 ponies thus far, so that's where the misconception comes in.  But, past history indicates that rolling out a new gen of toys doesn't necessitate making a new show.

My Little Pony 'n Friends ran from 1986-1987, and My Little Pony Tales ran in 1992. The G2 toyline didn't start until 1997.

Edited by Marimo

5 hours ago, Marimo said:

Yes. It's just going to be the transitional phase. Stores will still have some of the old G4 toys still on the shelves as Hasbro is prepping and sending out the new toys, and there's a chance there might still be some EqG shorts or something that were still in production at the same time as they were starting up a new series, kind of like the G3's Newborn Cutie shorts being made and released around the same time FiM debut.

My Little Pony 'n Friends ran from 1986-1987, and My Little Pony Tales ran in 1992. The G2 toyline didn't start until 1997.

Really?  I heard somewhere that G2 Ponies starred in those other shows, but that contradicts what I've read.  Either way, MLP has a more complex history than just new gen, new show.  Maybe G2 toys were made based on characters from past shows at the time?  I'll have to read up some more on this most useless bit of trivia, lol.