Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony else like to go to really old threads and go "Wow! History!"?

Heavenly Inexplicit

Only just joined these forums, but I'll occasionally come across random threads searching for things and it's often very amusing to see what the big discussions were back then.

The old "Are bronies for real" threads are also pretty funny. Social media really blew up since then and revealed so many legitimately bizarre and terrible things about humanity in groups that the accusations that people only were watching the show ironically seem very quaint now.

• Brohoof 2

17 minutes ago, GeekySonic said:

Oh heck yeah. Because not only did I just join the forums in like, 2015, I've only been a Brony for about 4 years, I think. It's funny, because I've missed out on a lot, and going back and reading all these things from people all these years ago, it's kinda like skimming a yearbook.

It sounds weird, but it makes me nostalgic. For something that I wasn't yet a part of.

I get the exact same vibe dude! Pretty weird how we feel nostalgic about something we've never experienced.

• Brohoof 1

I do! Although I think of this forum as very "recent", I realize now that I joined here six years ago and that's been quite a few years with a lot of different experiences and changes. The last few years have especially been a wild ride in my life. It's strange to run into posts from mid to late 2013 to mid to late 2015. Although that time in 2015 was rough and it was not silent about it here, not a time I like to look back on.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Heavenly Sun said:

Pretty damn surreal going to the older posts on the forums and seeing conversations that happened 6+ years ago. Am I the only one, or am I just the creep stalking through the archives?

Telekinesis.png

I watched recently all the posts in a topic "Fluttershy Fan Club" (almost 300 pages with posts since 2011). It vas very interesting experience. :)  

• Brohoof 1

I always enjoy looking at the history of websites, especially this forum as well as several other sites that are all very special to me. :) I've spent a ton of time reading through old threads here. In fact, I remember that was one of the first things I spent time on back when I first joined, as part of trying to get more of a feel for what the community was like. 

It's also really fun to check out the Wayback Machine. It's a really fascinating way to look into the past. 

For example, this is what the MLP Forums index looked like back on October 5th, 2011: https://web.archive.org/web/20111005165314/http://mlpforums.com:80/

And, this is what the MLP Forums index looked like the day I joined: https://web.archive.org/web/20130119083204/http://mlpforums.com/

Sometimes, though majority of the time I only look at threads that involve me. I still have my intro from the welcoming plaza saved after all these years and some of my old RPs. I like to go through them every now and then and let nostalgia consume me. When I do look at older threads before my time in 2012 and 2013, makes me wish I had discovered this place sooner.

I used to get called out ALL the time for bumping extremely old threads, like 2012 era. There's some good stuff in there, you just gotta do a little digging for it.

Plus it helps being an older member too. :rarity:

Considering I joined this forum just over a year ago, I don't have as much of a history around here as others do, but I can still look back on what I wrote at the time. In fact, when I do look back on them due to someone else either quoting me or adding a new post, I often question what I was thinking when I wrote that.

On MLP Forums, not much, as I haven't been here for long. I do look at old threads at times, but in those cases, it's more because of the topic.

On a couple of other forums, I definitely do that, especially when I remember a particularly funny discussion or post. Posts I made five to ten years ago make me cringe, though. The posts I made to some forums as a kid are the worst (almost all of them are thankfully gone forever), but I can laugh at them, as I don't feel they represent the person I am today.

The Wayback Machine is one of the most addictive things ever. It's not just once or twice that I have looked at a site that I used to frequent years ago. I can't believe how horrible all those sites looked, and I never realized it back then. :D

• Brohoof 1

I'm one to occasionally revive one of those old threads :proud: .

Some of them do not even "contain potential to start a discussion here and would, in turn, be better suited as a status update or perhaps a blog entry", so they'd probably get locked upon revival :wacko: .

"Class I want you all to go home and do some research into history and report back tomorrow with what you learned"

*Goes home and goes onto forum looking at old threads from a couple of years ago... calls it a day*

*Fails class, goes on said forum and bitches about crap teachers who don't get it*

Anyway... no I do not. I don't look at anything I wrote a week after writing it, much less years. I'll leave it for the archeologists to try to interpret a thousand years from now.

• 2 years later...

It's sometimes kind of an, uh, experience to read some of my old posts, lol. There's one thread I regret making, and it's my most popular thread. Go figure ^^;

But I also feel that some people get really upset over their old posts (or old anything for that matter, be it art or beliefs or whatever). You were either young, or you didn't know much because of inexperience. Ironically, you're still holding onto the past if you're hating on your old self that much.