Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is "Open up your eyes" up there with "Be Prepared" from the lion king?

Azureth

YES YES YES A thousand times YES!!

Ingram has actually reached Disney song level with this one and Im so happy for him! Its so perfect. That rise in the chorus gives me the shivers everytime its beautiful and powerful. I hope they can get it at least nominated for song awards (maybe in the Annies). I cant wait to see what else he brings to the next movies or episodes in terms of epic song quality. 

I was discussing it with my movie expert brother, and we both agree with Blunt's vocals, this would be on par with Frozen if Elsa had a villain song. Blunt's voice is very similar in style and power to Indina Menzel's. 

Given that I think "Be Prepared" is overrated and doesn't even make the top 20 for me. Yes "Open Up Your Eyes" surpasses it.

Edited by Mysterious
  • Brohoof 1

Be Prepared was certainly the first to spring to my mind there, but I do have to say, Hellfire sounds so much more even on par with its message.

Everytime I watch that song I'm astonished by how incredibly mature that is for a movie you know is being played in front of impressionable youths that are so used to flashy-happy stuff. Just that big, angry, face looming out over the audience telling the kiddies that sometimes life beats you down into a heartless shell, that sometimes life is unfair & cruel & you just have to buck up & take it.

Man! Haven't seen a project this creative in ages!

...though the weird little short before sort of effectively countered it. lol.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Given that Lion King is my favorite movie of all time, I'd say it isn't, but to be fair to this song I'm going to try and be somewhat objective about my final opinion about it.

First off, Scar and Tempest are very different kinds of villains and that of course reflects in their songs. Scar is at the very least incredibly narcissistic, believing he is far better suited to be king than Mufasa, and I'm pretty sure he's actually a full-blown sociopath given that he cares absolutely nothing for anyone but himself. Tempest, on the other hand, is very lonely and feels betrayed, with good reason, and sees her self-serving ways as her only option in light of the betrayal of her 'friends' when she was young. However, the very fact she's working for the Storm King in hopes of getting her horn back seems to indicate she really isn't that certain that going it alone is the real answer.

What it would come down to, then, is how well their respective songs bring out their personalities and motivations. Be Prepared is abundantly clear about Scar's personality. He constantly derides the hyenas and makes himself out to be the smartest and most powerful person/lion/whatever around. Everything in the song shows clearly what kind of guy Scar is and it tells you all you need to know about him. Open Up Your Eyes, on the other hand, isn't a self-aggrandizing song like Be Prepared is. It sounds more like a desperate plea to both Twilight and Tempest herself to believe that everything is better without friends, on your own. She isn't so much deriding Twilight as she is trying to convince her of her own right ('me, among the mighty, you, caged at my command'). I actually really like the subtle hesitation of her own words throughout the song that makes it feel like there's more to Tempest than what meets the eye, which turns out to be justified later in the movie.

Both songs, then, do a great job of showing the personalities of the people singing them and with the subtle layer of hesitance Open Up Your Eyes actually just edges out as the better villain song.

As for a musical comparison...I don't know. The styles are different but they fit their respective tones and lyrics well and I like both equally on that measure.

So, I suppose that my conclusion would be, 'Yes, Open Up Your Eyes measures up as a villain/character song to Be Prepared, and might in fact barely surpass it'.

• Brohoof 3

Open Up Your Eyes was a fascinating song, both musically and lyrically. But Be Prepared is a musical god, and I'm not sorry to say Be Prepared is better. Its aura of villainy isn't just evil. It's deliciously evil. It's starts off quietly, and then when Scar convinces the hyenas to join him, it gets bombastic to the point of really chilling. *cough*Third Reich march*cough*

• Brohoof 1

On 10/16/2017 at 10:14 PM, Azureth said:

I think it's my favorite song from the film. I think it could possibly even be up there with Scar's song.

It's my favorite song of the movie, too, but I wouldn't go that far. It's not exactly as dramatic or scary.

• Brohoof 1