Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Games that simply make you 'happy'

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

I know this question might sound weird. "Kyoshi, you dinguswaffle, any game I enjoy makes me happy!" You aren't wrong on that. Let me be a bit more specific.

What I mean by this question is, are there any games that specifically make you feel joy? Like, you are playing it and it just makes you smile? It makes you actively know that you feel joy on the inside.

As an example: One of these games for me is definitely Minecraft. I was playing the 3DS version yesterday, and when I heard the glorious music kick in while I was adding to my house, it just made me smile. It filled me with joy. I can't say that for a lot of games, having that kind of spontaneous joy.

Do any of you have any games like that? This can possibly be pretty broad so fire away. :)

• Brohoof 6

Crusader Kings 2. Is there anything better than forging a mighty empire, plotting and fighting to break your enemies, working hard to build a good economy... and then finding out that your heir is an idiot, and a plague devastates everything? Truly, those are moments when a wide grin appears on my ugly face.

Also, Slime Rancher. Slimes are soooo darn cute!

• Brohoof 2

A couple come straight to mind. Bioshock Infinite and also Final Fantasy 8.

I love the whole setting of Infinite so even doing stuff like aimlessly wandering brings me alot of joy. 

FF8 is possibly largely based on my love for watching my brother play it when i was a young buba. Makes me a very happy bunny! 

• Brohoof 2

Earthbound for SNES. I got that game opening year and have loved it every since; long before it became as popular as it is.

Super Mario Bros. for NES. The first video game I ever owned. :D 

Red Dead Redemption for PS3

• Brohoof 1

Any mainline Mario game not named Lost Levels(which was made for Masochists)

Edited by Kiryu-Chan
  • Brohoof 2

Fur Fighters - No matter how times I've played and beaten it, I always find it a joyous as ever. It took me 15 years to get past a bastard of a glitch and advance to further levels I'd never been able to beat, so now I can fully enjoy it whenever I boot up my Dreamcast.

Kirby Games - Sure, the bosses are a pain in the arse, but the simple gameplay, cute visuals and bright colours will always bring me back.

Overwatch - Never have I played a competitive game that always puts a smile on my face... my go to game whenever I'm feeling the need to remind myself why I game in the first place.

• Brohoof 2

A couple games are like this for me, even if I don’t get to play some of them.

-I LOVE to play For Honor. For one thing, it’s one of the few multiplayer games I can say that I’m good at. Not like tournament winner but I win more fights than I loose. One time I actually held my own against three guys and won! It’s that life long fantasy of mine of being a master swordsman finally realized. I even replay the story every now and then just because I think it’s a pretty decent fantasy adventure with heroes on every side.

-The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker. Probably stems from my brothers and I playing it ages ago as our first Zelda game. Even aside from that though, just sailing the unbroken expanse of the sea gives a sense of freedom and adventure.

-A number of fighting games but most of all Street Fighter IV. (I WANT SFV but don’t have it yet.) Even though I’m not very good at fighting games, I love a lot of the characters. SF in particular places such an emphasis on the martial arts as a lifestyle and has a sort of James Bond appeal of traveling around the world that just playing a few rounds in different stages is a pleasant fantasy distraction.

• Brohoof 1

Megaman Classic and X Series and a game called Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures for the SNES/Sega MegaDrive. That Pac-Man game is the black sheep of the Pac-Man franchise.

It basically functions like a point n click adventure game where you guide Pac-Man to his objectives. Pretty fun and just hitting Pac-Man with the slingshot never ceases to amuse me.

Basically, this game where I torture Pac-Man makes me happy :lol:. Yeah IK low-self esteem.

• Brohoof 2

This one is.. uh... a bit unorthodox and grim. Also I'm going to be fan-boying here:

Doki Doki Literature Club - I'm sure some of you have seen this game; it released last month (on steam) and the past few days, I've been entranced by it. BEFORE you go get this game (which is free btw), please be aware that this game is fairly likely to disturb you, even if you are sound of mind.If you have or had ANY form of depression or anxiety, please be careful when viewing this game. That being said, this game is horrific to its core, genuinely scared me several times, and yet after finishing I'm so happy I played it. The game itself is like walking through the mind of another person, while also being satirical about dating sims, while acknowledging the important reason people gravitate towards games like that. The amount of respect and love and honesty that was put into this absolute cluster-f*** of a game made it into a legend. And the way it ends... I won't spoil that here, but the ending was an incredible mix of fear and love, that left me confused thinking about it.

DDLC left a very raw happiness in me. One that is hard to explain.

If you do decide to get it, get through the first act (first week), and then decide if you want to keep going. Again the game is free, and I personally vouch for it. This game expects you to be an adult and will treat you as such, through its tricks and themes. Good luck to all who attempt it, and stay determined.

(Sorry for the wall of text I just needed to vent this game out of my system.)

Edited by Dark Rider
  • Brohoof 1

Slime Rancher. I have never felt happier than when I first played Slime Rancher.

7 hours ago, Sly said:

Every games in the Kirby franchise. Over 25 years, and not a single dud in its resumeer.

Kirby is no doubt an amazing series (one of the best out there). But makes you feel joy? If explosions of blood, nightmare abominations, and characters attempting to genocide all life in the universe, makes you feel joy, than good on you. But most other people will not think so.

Edited by Babyyoshi309
  • Brohoof 4

7 hours ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

Any mainline Mario game not named Lost Levels(which was made for Masochists)

Weird, I didn't find that game THAT difficult, last time I've played, I was able to reach 8-3 in a single playthrought without that much trouble :huh:

. Well, anyways, it's easier to list Marios that don't make me happy :D, but I think the one that makes me the happiness  is Super Princess Peach. Legendary Starfy, CV Order of Ecclesia, and Zelda Spirit Tracks 

All the Mario, Kirby, Yoshi, Harvest Moon, Sonic (EXCEPT for Sonic '06), Spyro, and Animal Crossing games I've played have made for a lot of smiles. Same with Undertale, Unturned, and Stardew Valley. Not that I haven't had fun with darker or more serious games, but I avoid those when I'm looking for something more joyful.

• Brohoof 1

The Sims 3 in particular manages to make me smile. :P I could play it for days after days and not feel the slightest bit uncomfortable or unrelaxed (is that a word? If not, now it is). Hearing the music once I’m not playing makes me just itching to play it no matter what. I love that game. :D

• Brohoof 1

Guess the game that made me happy is the first Devil May Cry game for the PS2. There, I got into playing that game because of the awesome gameplay and graphics back then. And when I started playing the sumb**ch, I was happy like a 5 year old. And also, that was my first PlayStation experience. Good times. :pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

3D Mario games give me a lot of joy.

It has such nice music, art style and gameplay everytime i play i 100% enjoy my experience.

I have completed all 3D mario games 3 times at the very least and 100% them all. I just love Mario man. :pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

Pokemon. Especially after they implemented the Poke-Amie function and let you pet and play with your Pokemon. I have wasted hours just making sure my Pokemon are prim and proper before actually playing the game. 

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage is also a game that makes me smile, since it's very nostalgic for me and I've beaten the game more than enough times that I know it like teh back of my hand. 

• Brohoof 1