Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where should be MLP's new primary US channel?

Toon4Thought

Let's be real here - Discovery Family is a channel that's basically just waiting to be put out of its misery. Nobody seems to care about it, including the network itself, and MLP seems to literally be the only reason people watch it at all (and even that's debatable given recent numbers). Put simply, the show is too good for a channel like that, so I believe it's about time they consider moving the show to somewhere different. I know the crew has said views aren't very important to the show's success, but they're obviously always good to have.

So, where do you think the show should be shown now? One possibility that comes to mind is Netflix, since it's proven popular on there, or possibly Cartoon Network. Yes, I'm aware it will likely be put to 6am on Saturdays or something, but their app alone would give the show a lot more exposure than it currently does.

Cartoon Network is the last place I'd put this show in, both because they usually have low faith in shows with female protags, and because they royally fucked over two other Hasbro shows, Transformers Animated and RID15 pretty hard

Netflix is really the only place that makes sense

13 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

Cartoon Network is the last place I'd put this show in, both because they usually have low faith in shows with female protags, and because they royally fucked over two other Hasbro shows, Transformers Animated and RID15 pretty hard

Netflix is definitely an option, though it looks like they might be giving YouTube a test run with the EQG series as well.

• Brohoof 1

I would prefer Netflix. Hasbro has a good relationship with Netflix right now. And I can only watch new episodes online because I don't get Discovery Family, so premiering all future new episodes on Netflix would make things easier.

Cartoon Network might just sideline the show and not care about it enough to do adequate promotion. Perhaps that would not happen if Lauren Faust was still in charge. She has a long history with CN. But I just don't trust CN very much.

• Brohoof 1

Stay on Discovery. Call me biased but I'm not going to upgrade my package to a +80 dollar price just for CN. That's how I was forced to stop watching Pokémon and I hope that doesn't happen to MLP ever that it goes to a channel I can't use

19 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Stay on Discovery. Call me biased but I'm not going to upgrade my package to a +80 dollar price just for CN. That's how I was forced to stop watching Pokémon and I hope that doesn't happen to MLP ever that it goes to a channel I can't use

Discovery Family is more accessible than Cartoon Network... those are some weird packages.

• Brohoof 2

I also side with the Netflix crowd.  Hasbro should consider embracing these options more if they want their franchises to grow.  Give us all a reason to continue to tune into My Little Pony AND the Transformers.  Maybe even give new life to old IPs like GI Joe and Jem and the Holograms(Perhaps as an Equestria girls Spinoff)

5 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

I don't know why you are suggesting Netflix since ponies, AND pastel colored humans are ALL already there :dash:

I think they mean for new episodes.

I for one don't see the need to move. they seem to have a good relationship and if you wait a few sort months itll be on Netflix anyway

To be honest, I don't think Discovery Family's end is that soon (to my surprise, the new LPS series is going there), but I still wouldn't be surprised if it does happen at some point (or at the very least, Hasbro pulls out). If/when that does happen, I wouldn't be surprised if MLP's new home in the U.S. is Netflix.

10 hours ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

Agreed on Netflix, but Cartoon Network hasn't really been a boy centric network since Stuart Snyder left. In addition to rebooting The Powerpuff Girls, they also have Unikitty and DC Superhero Girls series coming up.

Edited by PinkiePie97

Cartoon Network? No. It'll never be aired except for new episodes. Regular Show hasn't been on since its last new episode. In fact, here's tomorrow's schedule:

Spoiler

6-7 AM: Teen Titans (wait it isn't Go?!)
7-9 AM: Teen Titans Go
9-10 AM: Clarence
10-Noon: Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins (old, low-rated, live-action movie)
Noon-1: Ben 10
1-3 PM: Teen Titans Go
3-5 PM: The Amazing World of Gumball
5-6 PM: Teen Titans
6-8 PM: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
Then it's Adult Swim until 6 AM.

Hell, let's look at Friday's schedule.

Spoiler

6-7 AM: Teen Titans
10A-2P: Teen Titans Go
2-4 PM: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
4-5 PM: Teen Titans
5-5:30P: Ben 10
5:30-6:30P: Teen Titans Go
6-7 PM: OK K.O.
7-7:30P: The Amazing World of Gumball
7:30-8P: We Bare Bears

Those last 4 are likely only even played because they're new episodes followed by an older episode. Want to know when the new Transformers episode is? 6:30 AM. 6:30 AM. On Saturday morning. I didn't even know Transformers was on CN. Then right after that is a new episode of Justice League Action.

First episode I've seen of Adventure Time, and it's on from 6-7 AM on Sunday. 
On October 29, from 6-7 AM, I see Steven Universe for the first time in here. Both of these shows have only seen one hour each in all this time, and it's only been on Sunday mornings at the earliest possible time.

Anyway, I've gone as far as I possibly can (until November 1 at 10 AM) and both Adventure Time and Steven Universe only had 1 hour each, on a Sunday morning from 6-7 AM. And I'm sure we'll never see Regular Show again, since it's been 10 months now. Cartoon Network treats many of their shows like garbage.

But hey, they've got the LEGO movie this Saturday at 6 PM EST. Thought I'd add that in case anyone's interested.

If it has to find a new home, Netflix seems the only good option. Aside from being a very binge-friendly show and already being one of the more popular kids series there, they'd probably get a lot more Bronies to watch them legally that way.

I'm sorry, but I don't trust Cartoon Network. I wouldn't be shocked that if they wanted to movie, CN would advise them to add something that would drastically alter the show or something to that nature. Maybe it's an unfair bias, but stay away from CN please!

Netflix is fine, but if people are downloading MLP illegally they won't stop if new episodes are suddenly on Netflix.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

or possibly Cartoon Network

Fuck no, Cartoon Network can't even treat its own Adventure Time and Steven Universe right and overran the finale of Regular Show with a marathon of Teen Titans Go, and this is coming from someone who has never even seen nor liked any of the aforementioned. The show would be swamped by mediocrity and screwed over eventually.

5 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

Netflix is fine, but if people are downloading MLP illegally they won't stop if new episodes are suddenly on Netflix.

There's a lot more incentive to subscribe to Netflix than to Discovery Family. You're not just getting MLP, you're getting really good adult shows like House of Cards, Stranger Things and Orange is the New Black, and you can watch it discreetly on your mobile devices.  I think it'd be easier for Bronies to be willing to wait for a legit stream if a leak somehow did happen, though Netflix keeps a pretty good lid on them from what I'm aware.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
7 minutes ago, ShadowPhoenix said:

Fuck no, Cartoon Network can't even treat its own Adventure Time and Steven Universe right and overran the finale of Regular Show with a marathon of Teen Titans Go, and this is coming from someone who has never even seen nor liked any of the aforementioned. The show would be swamped by mediocrity and screwed over eventually.

The network is now predominantly focusing on their app, where these issues are near non-existent. And Steven Universe has for the most part gotten quite good treatment.

28 minutes ago, meme said:

Cartoon Network? No. It'll never be aired except for new episodes. Regular Show hasn't been on since its last new episode. In fact, here's tomorrow's schedule:

Hide contents

6-7 AM: Teen Titans (wait it isn't Go?!)
10-Noon: Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins (old, low-rated, live-action movie)
Noon-1: Ben 10
1-3 PM: Teen Titans Go
3-5 PM: The Amazing World of Gumball
5-6 PM: Teen Titans
6-8 PM: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
Then it's Adult Swim until 6 AM.

Hell, let's look at Friday's schedule.

Reveal hidden contents

6-7 AM: Teen Titans
10A-2P: Teen Titans Go
2-4 PM: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
4-5 PM: Teen Titans
5-5:30P: Ben 10
5:30-6:30P: Teen Titans Go
6-7 PM: OK K.O.
7-7:30P: The Amazing World of Gumball
7:30-8P: We Bare Bears

Those last 4 are likely only even played because they're new episodes followed by an older episode. Want to know when the new Transformers episode is? 6:30 AM. 6:30 AM. On Saturday morning. I didn't even know Transformers was on CN. Then right after that is a new episode of Justice League Action.

First episode I've seen of Adventure Time, and it's on from 6-7 AM on Sunday. 
On October 29, from 6-7 AM, I see Steven Universe for the first time in here. Both of these shows have only seen one hour each in all this time, and it's only been on Sunday mornings at the earliest possible time.

Anyway, I've gone as far as I possibly can (until November 1 at 10 AM) and both Adventure Time and Steven Universe only had 1 hour each, on a Sunday morning from 6-7 AM. And I'm sure we'll never see Regular Show again, since it's been 10 months now. Cartoon Network treats many of their shows like garbage.

But hey, they've got the LEGO movie this Saturday at 6 PM EST. Thought I'd add that in case anyone's interested.

Here's the thing though - their live feed is basically an afterthought to the network now, and they now predominantly rely on their app and On Demand services. And like I said somewhere else in this thread, even a 6am Saturday slot would be superior to Discovery Family considering the app would give it a good amount of exposure. Amount of reruns does not equal quality of treatment.

In both cases, I do agree that Netflix is probably by far the superior option though.

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 1

I would sat Netflix, but considering the UK hasn't got Seasons 6 or 7 yet, I'd want them on the platform before they unveil new episodes so people CAN catch up if needed. Not a problem for me, but I do want to be considerate. Then again receiving episodes at the same time as everyone else would be nice.

16 minutes ago, Vocal Analyst said:

I would sat Netflix, but considering the UK hasn't got Seasons 6 or 7 yet, I'd want them on the platform before they unveil new episodes so people CAN catch up if needed. Not a problem for me, but I do want to be considerate. Then again receiving episodes at the same time as everyone else would be nice.

This is just about the U.S. I would guess that MLP's home wouldn't change in other countries.

Edited by PinkiePie97

13 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

This is just about the U.S. I would guess that MLP's home wouldn't change in other countries.

If something that's Netflix produced is released (i.e. a Netflix Original), which I believe MLP would become if Netflix got the liscencing, it's often out in the UK and the US simultaneously. So that statement is kind of redundant.

58 minutes ago, Vocal Analyst said:

I thought the UK aired the tail end of season 6 before anyone else?

28 minutes ago, Vocal Analyst said:

If something that's Netflix produced is released (i.e. a Netflix Original), which I believe MLP would become if Netflix got the liscencing, it's often out in the UK and the US simultaneously. So that statement is kind of redundant.

Except Netflix wouldn't be producing it. It would just be the home for new episodes in the U.S.

1 minute ago, Toon4Thought said:

I thought the UK aired the tail end of season 6 before anyone else?

I think he was referring to Netflix U.K.

Would like to see it on Netflix because UK - although I do like the community feel of watching the feed with the chatroom and other bronies, I also don't mind paying for my Pony fix if that helps support the show.

Netflix makes the most sense to me. I don't know what legalities are involved with Hasbro and Discovery, but since it's already showing on Netflix it could just become a primary if something were to ever happen to Discovery Family.