Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Powerpuff Girls second reboot

Whirlwindmark

PPG 2016 is a failure both critically and ratings wise, and has been universally panned all over Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit and more. 

A second reboot will happen, there is no question, when it will happen I don't know..most likely in the early 2020's. When they do, they need to look back and see why the reboot failed, listen to the fans, and try an approach that the Youtuber Brain Dump suggested, take a tad darker approach to it.

Edited by Whirlwindmark
  • Brohoof 1

I actually do question why CN would reboot PPG.  I can't find any information anywhere as to whether or not the show is making the network money either through viewership or toy sales, but what is painfully obvious is that the current corporate heads care about money and nothing else.  So long as a show is making them money, they couldn't care less if it's a vapid, lobotomized abortion of a reboot like PPG 2016 or TTG.  Unfortunately, I don't think this show is going anywhere anytime soon, not while Cartoon Network is raking in the dosh from toy sales.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Hazard Time said:

I actually do question why CN would reboot PPG.  I can't find any information anywhere as to whether or not the show is making the network money either through viewership or toy sales, but what is painfully obvious is that the current corporate heads care about money and nothing else.  So long as a show is making them money, they couldn't care less if it's a vapid, lobotomized abortion of a reboot like PPG 2016 or TTG.  Unfortunately, I don't think this show is going anywhere anytime soon, not while Cartoon Network is raking in the dosh from toy sales.

Answer: money.

8 minutes ago, Hazard Time said:

6 minutes ago, Whirlwindmark said:

Though the least they could do is turn TTG and PPG 2016 into products worth spending money on.

Props to Hasbro for realizing that.

1 minute ago, Whirlwindmark said:

Most corporate heads can be greedy assholes, but they're not insane.  If a thing they're doing isn't making them as much money as they wanted, they're not going to waste the time and money investigating where they went wrong and try and prepare a reboot, especially after the previous thing they were doing was such a huge flop.  No, they're going to choose the path with the least amount of risk and invest in a show that they KNOW will make them money.

So yes, the answer IS money, but I think you're a touch too optimistic if you think a PPG reboot that caters more to the sensibilities of an adult generation will make CN as much or more money than what they have now.

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Hazard Time said:

Most corporate heads can be greedy assholes, but they're not insane.  If a thing they're doing isn't making them as much money as they wanted, they're not going to waste the time and money investigating where they went wrong and try and prepare a reboot, especially after the previous thing they were doing was such a huge flop.  No, they're going to choose the path with the least amount of risk and invest in a show that they KNOW will make them money.

So yes, the answer IS money, but I think you're a touch too optimistic if you think a PPG reboot that caters more to the sensibilities of an adult generation will make CN as much or more money than what they have now.

A PPG reboot that tells an actual story will gain more views. Just look at the Ducktales reboot.

and not insane?! Have you not heard of the Wiensteins?

Edited by Whirlwindmark

15 minutes ago, Whirlwindmark said:

A PPG reboot that tells an actual story will gain more views. Just look at the Ducktales reboot.

Well, when you said that, I was inclined to question myself.  After all, Ducktales was getting rave reviews left and right, people calling it a great show.  You might be on to something!

And then I looked at the viewership ratings.

Looking on Wikipedia, out of the 6 episodes which have aired so far, the average viewership of each episode was around 357k viewers, with a range of 280k to 410k viewers.  Not too shaby!

Now let's take a look at TTG, and...oh my.  There are too many episodes for me to go about and get an average in a timely manner, but it's a rare occasion that viewership drops below one million viewers, sometimes even climbing past two million!  The lowest recorded viewership rating stands at a mere 870k viewers.  That is more than twice Ducktales' highest viewership rating.

Admittedly, there are a number of variables I may not be taking into account here, but it doesn't look like pre-teen kids really give a rip about good story-telling.

Edited by Hazard Time

I haven't seen the PPG reboot myself but I remember reading some of the criticism. I think the main problem is changing things for no reason. Why did they replace the voice actresses without even asking the original ones to reprise their roles (I'd understand if they had been unavailable but this was not the case)? Why not try to get at least some of the original writers and directors on board? Also, the slight alterations to the character designs seem fairly pointless.

I think there are too many reboots being made in general. Reboots can be great if done well (even FIM could be considered a reboot), but in many cases, it seems to be an attempt to replicate what used to be successful while lacking the creativity of the original. Surely there are many great ideas waiting to be brought to life, which are overlooked in favor of remakes, sequels and the like. New characters and universes would also allow for more creative freedom, without the comparisons to earlier works that are inevitable when a beloved series is remade.

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, Whirlwindmark said:

The original PPG didn’t follow a story and it was one of CN’s biggest hits ever. It was episodic.

4 minutes ago, Hazard Time said:

Well, when you said that, I was inclined to question myself.  After all, Ducktales was getting rave reviews left and right, people calling it a great show.  You might be on to something!

And then I looked at the viewership ratings.

Looking on Wikipedia, out of the 6 episodes which have aired so far, the average viewership of each episode was around 357k viewers, with a range of 280k to 410k viewers.  Not too shaby!

Now let's take a look at TTG, and...oh my.  There are too many episodes for me to go about and get an average in a timely manner, but it's a rare occasion that viewership drops below one million viewers, sometimes even climbing past two million!  The lowest recorded viewership rating stands at a mere 870k viewers.  That is more than twice Ducktales' highest viewership rating.

Admittedly, there are a number of variables I may not be taking into account here, but it doesn't look like pre-teen kids really give a rip about good story-telling.

The reason TTG gets more viewers than DuckTales is probably because DuckTales airs on a network available in less homes than CN.

Just now, PinkiePie97 said:

The reason TTG gets more viewers than DuckTales is probably because DuckTales airs on a network available in less homes than CN.

You might need to explain that, since I'm unaware as to whether or not Disney XD (I think that's the channel it's airing on?) is less accessible.

3 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

The original PPG didn’t follow a story and it was one of CN’s biggest hits ever. It was episodic.

True. 

1 minute ago, Hazard Time said:

You might need to explain that, since I'm unaware as to whether or not Disney XD (I think that's the channel it's airing on?) is less accessible.

Yes, it airs on Disney XD. DXD is a digital network that you may need to pay more to get, while CN is usually available on basic packages.

24 minutes ago, Whirlwindmark said:

and not insane?! Have you not heard of the Wiensteins?

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.  Harvey Weinstein wasn't insane, just a sexual predator.

Just now, Hazard Time said:

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.  Harvey Weinstein wasn't insane, just a sexual predator.

And a bully. Plus it looks like his brother may also be a predator.

7 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Yes, it airs on Disney XD. DXD is a digital network that you may need to pay more to get, while CN is usually available on basic packages.

So I looked up Xfinity, and it seems that it's at least true with them that Disney XD is unavailable on economy cable packages while Cartoon Network is.  That could certainly be an issue, but my original point that pre-teen kids, the demographic that makes up the majority of CN's viewer base, don't care about story telling still stands.  They only care if a show can hold their attention long enough that they forget to change the channel.  It's why Spongebob, TTG, and PPG have stayed on the air as long as they have.

Edited by Hazard Time

PPG had a reboot? Why wasn't I made aware of this? :o

Actually, since I don't follow Cartoon Network, I never saw any advertising for it. I only learned it existed at all because of two things. One, McDonald's carried happy meal PPG toys for short time. And two, a few PPG fans I chat with here brought it to my attention.  I remember saying I would have to make time to check it out but oops, I never did. :blush: But sadly the thing I recall the most about PPG 2016 was the lack of buzz and excitement. You'd think that after a decade long hiatus, longtime fans would be psyched. If the product was better, I'm sure word would've gotten around. 

Having grown up with the original PPG, I was quite looking forward to the reboot. Oh boy did that enthusiasm evaporate quickly. I still love the visual style of it, but the writing is so tone deaf and abhorrent that honestly very little good could've been taken from it. As for not calling in the original VA's for the job AND getting rid of Ms. Bellum for NO REASON, I'm still annoyed as hell. Tara Strong not being Bubbles breaks my heart.

As for a second reboot, it won't happen. I agree with the consensus, as long as this current one keeps making money CN will keep putting it out. I WANT some of the merchandise because it's adorable, so blame me loving cute things if the show is still on the air... I won't watch it but the dorbs merch will still tempt me.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

As much as I like Tara and respect the other VAs..you gotta let other people cut their teeth in already small pond. I think that they could do something and invite the 3 originals back for a passing of the torch type deal..otherwise there's no reason to hate on it.

Technically, the Powerpuff Girls Z anime was also a reboot. It's certainly different from the original, and not just because of the animation style. The girls are older, their fighting style is different, the setting has changed a bit, supporting characters have been altered and added. The English dub cast is completely different from the original English voice cast.

People weren't exactly ecstatic about it, but the reception was certainly better than the Western reboot. I haven't seen the entire series, but from the first dozen episodes I can tell that it's written much better than the other reboot. Kinda surprising, given that Craig McCracken was involved with neither show.

@Prospektlicious that's the militant resistance that kinda bothers me to be honest. 

Take Teen Titans Go..to some it's a cancer far worse than MLP (Sorry in advance if that was offensive.) to me it's a really dumb cartoon that at times is funny but not always. Same with Ben 10 and even the PPG now. Are they better then the original? No, not at all..do the originals hold a place in my heart? Definitely.  Should TTG take up every dang time slot on CN? No..it's why Clarence! is getting cancelled this year.

As a fan of cartoons in general I say this like..it was my stance when Twilight got her wings/EGs first trailer was released and it'll be it for years to come. Try and enjoy it because there's always something far worse coming around the corner.

• Brohoof 1