Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Thoughts on Sunset Shimmer

Feather Scribbles

What are your overall thoughts on Sunset Shimmer? Do you like her? Dislike her? Hate her? Don't care?

Would you want her as a friend or would you want to date her?

And in between the first two episodes of Equestria Girls, would you forgive Sunset Shimmer? If so, would you tell her so, even if it means receiving backlash from the rest of the school?

Edited by Feather Scribbles
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't care for Sunset Shimmer in the first EQ girls movie, but in the 2nd movie she's totally adorkable! They actually made her redemption seem realistic, although I think they over did it a bit (she acts like she's suffering from PTSD in Rainbow Rocks). As for dating, I would totally date her. Rebecca Shoichet did an awesome job voicing her (as she's also the singing voice for Twilight Sparkle). How could you not love this?

Omg I totally agree with you! I would totally date her as well... I don't know if she's heterosexual or not, but, meh, one can only dream. x3

2 minutes ago, Feather Scribbles said:

Omg I totally agree with you! I would totally date her as well... I don't know if she's heterosexual or not, but, meh, one can only dream. x3

(By that I mean I hope she would be bisexual. :P)

I'm not at all fond of her being in the eq world. I don't like equestria girls. She should have stayed in equestria and gotten the alicorn amulet or something, and be a villain. I like her, and I wouldn't care what anyone else would think, I'd laugh their insults in their faces and show them how good she really is anyways. But I still like her evil self lol. I wonder where that...ego all started from. 

I would like her to be a villain in equestria like this here...

b7fafea6d977cc64fefcabf73f39c13b-d8tc7vp

nightmare_star_ii_by_orin331-damk04e.png

Then what she would do is come into contact with Nightmare Moon's remnants, which would possess her and turn her into Nightmare Star II. WHILE she is wearing the alicorn amulet. So she'll be a truly evil threat then. So the elements of harmony would eventually defeat her, destroying Nightmare Moon entirely, and leaving behind an alicorn filly, remembering her past as a dream. Or leave her behind, unpowered and devoid of her evil and ego.

She would be reformed, a long drawn out reform because of the chaos and destruction her evil self would caused. 

Edited by Twilight Witch
  • Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, Twilight Witch said:

I'm not at all fond of her being in the eq world. I don't like equestria girls. She should have stayed in equestria and gotten the alicorn amulet or something, and be a villain. I like her, and I wouldn't care what anyone else would think, I'd laugh their insults in their faces and show them how good she really is anyways. But I still like her evil self lol. I wonder where that...ego all started from. 

I would like her to be a villain in equestria like this here...

b7fafea6d977cc64fefcabf73f39c13b-d8tc7vp

nightmare_star_ii_by_orin331-damk04e.png

Then what she would do is come into contact with Nightmare Moon's remnants, which would possess her and turn her into Nightmare Star II. WHILE she is wearing the alicorn amulet. So she'll be a truly evil threat then. So the elements of harmony would eventually defeat her, destroying Nightmare Moon entirely, and leaving behind an alicorn filly, remembering her past as a dream. Or leave her behind, unpowered and devoid of her evil and ego.

That evil Sunset Shimmer art looks awesome! Where did you get it?

• Brohoof 1

I didn't really care for her much in the first movie, but from the second movie and onwards she became one of my top 3 favorite FIM/EQG characters.

Her reformation arc in Rainbow Rocks is one of the very few FIM reformations that I actually like, and the only one that really resonated with me.

Also I totally ship her with Princess Twilight.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, cmarston1 said:

I didn't really care for her much in the first movie, but from the second movie and onwards she became one of my top 3 favorite FIM/EQG characters.

Her reformation arc in Rainbow Rocks is one of the very few FIM reformations that I actually like, and the only one that really resonated with me.

Also I totally ship her with Princess Twilight.

Me too! Want to do an RP that is about Sunset Shimmer x Princess Twilight? ^^

Too add to my points I can imagine Sunset Shimmer going through pyramids and temples, much like daring do does to get the alicorn amulet. While on the run from equestrian authorities. Maybe she would side with dr caballeron to get said amulet.

Just now, Kyoshi said:

In my personal opinion, she is an overrated character from a highly overrated series that, in my opinion, shouldn't even exist. Sunset is alright for what she is, but her being in EqG is such wasted potential.

I agree. In my opinion, in the final episode of EqG, it is discovered that travelling through the portal outside of CHS is destroying the fabric of reality in the human world, and all entities must cease travelling through it. Therefore, Sunset Shimmer has to make a decision: stay in the human world and never communicate with Equestria again, or enter through the portal to Equestria, but never to return. In my opinon, to satisfy both parties, there must be a point where when she travels through the portal, she is somehow "duplicated", meaning one version appears on the human world and the other in Equestria. (The last part is optional.)

3 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

In my personal opinion, she is an overrated character from a highly overrated series that, in my opinion, shouldn't even exist. Sunset is alright for what she is, but her being in EqG is such wasted potential.

I agree with you, she has so much potential in the pony world.

• Brohoof 2

17 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Interestingly, I think by far the most interesting thing about Sunset is the mere fact that she spent the majority of her life as a pony only to become the sole Equestrian to reinvent her life as a human in a previously-unknown world. It's really impressive how well she was able to adapt, especially independently, to the point where she acts just as human as the others.

That being said, her not giving Equestria a meaningful visit would probably be the single biggest waste of potential in all of G4. There is near-endless potential with that, to say the least.

She has a fairly light personality without any major flaws, we don't have any idea of her hobbies or ambitions, and the most interesting things about her - her attempts to be a better person, and her links to Equestria - have basically been abandoned by the series by this point. And yet.. and yet... I can't bring myself to dislike her, and I guess part of that is residual affection for how great she was in the second and third movies, but part of it is also that her mixture of kindness and coolness is still really charming in small doses. Anything larger and she starts to feel vapid, but I still like her general attitude. 

When I first watched Equestria Girls back in the day, I didn't see Sunset as a good villain. In fact, I saw her as being both petty and conflicted in that what she wanted to achieve wasn't exactly the best thought-out plan out there. As such, I didn't like her initially until Rainbow Rocks started to get more information regarding what it would be about. My heart always knew that Sunset was destined for greater things other than the villain trope so when I learned that she had been reformed and was given a second chance, I became much more invested in her character. Upon watching Rainbow Rocks, I realized that I had more in common with her than any other character in MLP. Like her, I had been bullied and cast aside by my peers but for different reasons.

From there, she has become my favourite character and I continue to stand by that conviction. Is she perfect? Not by any means as she has flaws just like any other character and I've grown to accept this in addition to criticisms people have towards her.

• 4 weeks later...

In the original movie, I found her a decidedly 'meh' villain, but from Rainbow Rocks onward she's been one of my favorite characters in the series. I think they dealt well with showing her redemption and full acceptance into the group. Aside from that, ever since Rainbow Rocks I ship her with Princess Twilight. 

• 1 month later...

I don't care for her in the slightest, and as silly as it sounds, I can't quite tell you why. I just feel like she's unnecessary. Also, am I the only one who was super disappointed that they belittled Spike by making him a dog and didn't give us a human version of Spike?! I mean come on! Spike is more than just animal side-kick status. I was so disappointed. 

Sunset Shimmer is my favorite character. I didn’t like her much in the first movie, but after the part where she got blasted by the elements of harmony, I liked her. (Can’t give you details, it’s been so long.) I’m not real fond of the first movie, I think I’ve only watched it twice. I do want to watch it again.

but now,I really really like her, and in between the first two movies, I would definitely tell her I forgive her, even if the school hates me for that. Sunset and I would be best friends, a sisterly bond. 

Well, I personally prefer Equestria Girls to the main series (sue me), purely because of Sunset Shimmer. Don't get wrong, in the original EG movie she was not a good villain. Her plan was moronic, her backstory was weak and her personality felt very generic for a high school movie. And while I personally feel that her reformation in RR came across as somewhat jarring initially, it was a necessary move for her as a character. Since then, Sunset's sort of became the de-facto leader of the group, even over Twilight. She's relatable, likable and her confidence in herself regardless of her past make me like her more than Twilight, who already is my second favorite of the original Mane Six. By the time that the Specials or the YouTube series came around, Sunset had completely come into her own, being a natural leader, whose lack of presence in the main series makes me feel a little empty whenever I watch it.

She's the worst character of the entire TV series. As a "villain," she's incompetent, beyond stupid, the Alpha Bitch stereotype in high school stories, and flatter than Flash Sentry; absolutely no redeeming value. Her "character" since then is a fraudulent reset bestowed upon her by the Elements of Harmony — which should not have worked there, given canon established from Return of Harmony and EQG1's first act — against her will. Her original personality was completely replaced. If I want to see the character reformed, I wanna see the character reformed, not a Deus Ex Machina's brainwashed version of her. EQG's worldbuilding is a broken mess; Sunset-in-name-only exemplifies why.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Rarity the Supreme said:

Well, I personally prefer Equestria Girls to the main series (sue me), purely because of Sunset Shimmer. Don't get wrong, in the original EG movie she was not a good villain. Her plan was moronic, her backstory was weak and her personality felt very generic for a high school movie. And while I personally feel that her reformation in RR came across as somewhat jarring initially, it was a necessary move for her as a character. Since then, Sunset's sort of became the de-facto leader of the group, even over Twilight. She's relatable, likable and her confidence in herself regardless of her past make me like her more than Twilight, who already is my second favorite of the original Mane Six. By the time that the Specials or the YouTube series came around, Sunset had completely come into her own, being a natural leader, whose lack of presence in the main series makes me feel a little empty whenever I watch it.

I agree with most of what you said, and especially the first sentence. Sunset is definitely a natural leader, always there for her friends. It’s really nice to see the protection side of her, like in LoE. She’s such a great friend to Twilight. :D and even though I do feel she belongs in the EG world, it would be great to see her in Equestria. I’m sure we’ve all been wondering about her relationship with Princess Celestia. I really want them to talk about what happened. I’d also like to see her in the show staying at Twi’s castle, and hanging out with Princess Twilight. Both Twilights have a great friendship with Sunset.