Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Thoughts on Sunset Shimmer

Feather Scribbles

well as i guess she is responsible (i guess you can get it if you watch Mirror Magic + Rainbow Rocks)

I think she is logical (you can get it If you choose Sunset shimmer in "Text Support")

She is beautiful (it's very obvious)

She is changeable (Watch Equestria Girls 2013)

Edited by Fred Jones

I am a fan of sunset shimmer, though I have to admit I stopped watching EG stuff after the third movie. I would have loved to see her eventually come back to equestria, and perhaps become another element of harmony. I guess that is part of the reason why it has taken me a while to warm up to starlight glimmer, because she basically took sunset shimmer's place. I would love to have her as a friend, and perhaps even date her, but then again, I could say that for most of the mane 6.

Sunset Shimmer is one of my favorite characters. I actually didn't care for her as a villain in the first EG movie, but starting with Rainbow Rocks she really started to grow on me. I really liked her character development, and her desire to be a better person. The kitchen scene with her and Twilight is one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. She ends up making a good main character in Friendship Games, and becomes a good mentor to Sci-Twi in Legend of Everfree. She's developed from a generic bully character, to a really fun and cool character. Plus I like her bacon hair:D

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

I didn't like Sunset until "Forgotten Friendship" because before then, she was really boring. In EQG1, she was a generic bully, and in the other movies, she felt perfect. Whenever she got mad in "Rainbow Rocks" and "Friendship Games", the movies made sure we still sympathized with her.

In "Forgotten Friendship", her personality became a lot stronger bringing back her anger and ego from the first movie.

Wow, crazy how much can change in nine months; my answer to this question has radically changed since my original post. Almost none of my complaints apply anymore, and now I genuinely feel she's a great character on par with the mane six. 

On 10/22/2017 at 9:48 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

She has a fairly light personality without any major flaws,

Fast forward to "Rollercoaster of Friendship," and the anger issues which previous movies hinted at have been codified as something much more tangible, to the extent that they feel equal to the established flaws of the mane six. "Forgotten Friendship" helped, but seeing her get mad at the ring toss was the first time this series played it up for comedy, which frankly is what I feel is necessary to make characters in this show work. 

we don't have any idea of her hobbies or ambitions,

The ambitions are still a problem, but that's really only because her past is so turbulent and her future is so uncertain. I also feel like Equestria Girls is slowly starting to hint at what could be next for the mane six + Sunset once they leave high school, though I don't expect it to go too much further in that direction. Plus, more than one short has suggested Sunset has an interest in drawing and painting, which combined with her known love of science definitely gives her a fair share of hobbies. 

and the most interesting things about her - her attempts to be a better person, and her links to Equestria - have basically been abandoned by the series by this point.

The former has been replaced by the flaws and interests discussed above, alongside the aforementioned "mixture of kindness and coolness," and arguably for the better. The latter could use more attention, but we did get a bit of it from "Forgotten Friendship," so there's hope. 

So yeah, I'm back to being an unapologetic fan of this character. Funny how that works. 

(edited)

I love Sunset Shimmer. She's my favourite Equestria Girls-character and one of my favourite MLP-characters in general.

Edited by COH

I like her character. She doesn't from villain to liked right away. Through the rest of the movies, she works through her issues like a  real person would.Yes, the way she was portrayed in the first movie was your generic bully with no motivation except to be a bully. By the end the end of the firs movie, she's knocked all the way down to ground zero with no real friends. The second movie is where she really shines as a former bad person looking for redemption and trying to show everyone that she has changed but no one believes her. Her song "My Past is Not Today" is really effective in showing her inner turmoil.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

I like her character. She doesn't from villain to liked right away. Through the rest of the movies, she works through her issues like a  real person would.

I often get the feeling that we weren't supposed to take her too seriously as a villain - which in the long span of movies would make sense, but given the first movie might well have been the last, somewhat less so.  But she WAS a mediocre villain - GlimGlam was much more believable and sinister, while Sunset was just a spoilt brat with a sense of entitlement (so more like Diamond Tiara, really)

4 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

Yes, the way she was portrayed in the first movie was your generic bully with no motivation except to be a bully. By the end the end of the firs movie, she's knocked all the way down to ground zero with no real friends. The second movie is where she really shines as a former bad person looking for redemption and trying to show everyone that she has changed but no one believes her. Her song "My Past is Not Today" is really effective in showing her inner turmoil.

Indeed. There are some interesting touches too - like her offering (and being rebuffed) to help the CMC with their poster, when she is secretly "flanksey" :)

But yeah; it is made apparent that she is being universally shunned by the pupils of Canterlot High, and even Twi is hesitant to trust her, even for a hand up from the ground at first.  It is the rest of the rainbooms that are lifting her up, which makes it all the more devestating in forgotten friendshp when she loses their support.  Her actions in the final battle of the bands though clearly balance the scales, and while she is still nervous about her position during the friendship games, she is clearly no longer being rejected by the rest of the school. It is really in the fourth movie though, once SciTwi has been added to the group, that she comes full circle and is the defacto leader of the rainbooms, even if deferring to the (somewhat absent) leadership of Pony Twi.  Her eventual reconciliation with Celestia was a thing of beauty too :)

Just now, CypherHoof the Reblanked said:

I often get the feeling that we weren't supposed to take her too seriously as a villain - which in the long span of movies would make sense, but given the first movie might well have been the last, somewhat less so.  But she WAS a mediocre villain - GlimGlam was much more believable and sinister, while Sunset was just a spoilt brat with a sense of entitlement (so more like Diamond Tiara, really) 

She was your generic twirl your mustache villain. I didn't know any bullies that went to that much trouble just to become prom queen. All the students knew what she was doing but Celestia and Luna were useless as usual.  I would like to know how she was able to repair the school with her bare hands. I doubt her job paid her enough to make that happen. Regardless, I think she's all well rounded character with inner demons who is still going through redemption and character development.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

At first I tought that as a villain she wasn't that bad, just hidding her weakness. When she changed, it was awesome for me and I would forgive her even if it means to be ignored and hated by all the school 'cause everyone deserves a second chance. That's only my opinion

In Equestria, Rainbow Dash all the way. In E.G. it's a very close tossup between her and Sunset and think Sunset would have a good shot at winning out. Take that for what you will. Maybe it's just that she seems to fit closer to the angsty confusion that teen-hood actually felt like to me, which makes her seem more genuine compared to the Mane E.G. 6? Dunno. It's much easier to accept radically unique personalities in Equestria, vs those in what seems like it was meant to be a parallel to our own Earth.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

Sunny buns best human, she's really caring for her friends and she just has this confident, easygoing, friendly and understanding personality that I love :ph3ar:

She's a lot like pony Twilight, they're both smart and forgiving and are great leaders.