Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Do you keep or sell your old consoles?

joanro

Still have my NES, Super NES and Nintendo 64 from childhood. I never sell them. I could probably sell them now for some decent coin, but I don't plan on it. I can put those bad boys on a new TV if I want. Adapters are the best things ever.

I usually keep my old consoles, especially those that are only one generation behind because I still play them. I have plenty of games on my Xbox 360 that I would consider to be better than the ones I have on Xbox One, and I have a lot more progress on them as well.

i do keep some of my old consoles but the big mistake i have done was selling my slim ps3 but it was just a moment of weekness to get the ps4 pro xD but i will always keep my old fat ps2 and ps1 and also get this....colombia home arcade atari console :3

I always keep my old consoles. I still have my SNES from my childhood and it's still in good working order. It's sometimes fun going back to a game years after you've played it just to see what are on the save files. Games are like books to me, I will occasionally go back to them and for that (outside of emulators), I be needing the consoles. :-P

I used to keep all of em (for the past 20 or so years), but recently I've been going crazy with selling all my old stuff. Literally had every single Nintendo console ever released with massive game libraries, as well as all the Sony platforms, most Microsoft consoles in addition to a multitude of handhelds and the like. I also had most console/handheld revisions, like DS Fat, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL for instance. 

However, at a certain point the nostalgic attachment starts to feel like an inhibition in a weird way. It took a really long time to sell everything (mostly due to the frequency of lowball offers on Ebay), but I pulled through, and quite frankly feel so relieved to have finally a "clean slate". I made slightly over $8k in total sales, which I consider to be an adequate amount for everything that was sold. Currently, I own a Ps4 Pro as well as an Xbox One X with their own respective libraries of games. I'll likely sell them eventually too and purchase a gaming rig/ laptop with my earnings. One thing i've noticed about myself as an adult is that a desperately crave change. Most peoiple I've talked with find familiarity comforting, but for me change seems to have the same effect. And this of course carries over to my hobbies as well. I'll never forget all the amazing times I had with my old systems for all those years, but at the end of the day, I feel compelled to move on and find a new horizon to chase.

When I was younger, I tended to sell them and use the funds to help buy a newer console. Did this with my SNES and PS1. Kinda wish I hadn't but I guess it's no big deal. PS2's can play PS1 games and I have a RetroN 2 that will play my SNES games.

I have a model 1 Sega Genesis paired with a model 1 CD and plan on keeping them forever. :mlp_proud:

I still have my PS2, PS3, GBA, and Nintendo DS despite having a PS4 and a 3DS. Backwards compatibility is sadly becoming a lost art, so I'm always going to be keeping my old consoles from now on. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to think it was best to keep old consoles for playing old games, in the thinking that the newer consoles which claim backwards compatibility are never truly as compatible as they advertise. But since I never (or very seldom) play any games, old or new, I have no reason to keep old consoles. Hence, I’ve gotten rid of my old Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis and Dreamcast. I only have my PS4 now, and I never use it for gaming; just watching streaming shows. I’m not a gamer, so I’m not sentimental about old electronics.

• Hugs 2

As long as they aren't broke I usually keep 'em. I still have my two Gamecube's from my childhood. My Wii, PS2, and PS3 as well. I had a GBA SP and DS Lite and DSi growing up too but they all ended up broke at some point. I had a 3DS as well but sold it when the Switch came out because I only used it for Pokemon games and New Leaf. Which in hindsight was a bit stupid because playing DS games is 100x better on the actual console vs emulation due to the dual screen.

Unfortunately made some poor choices when I was a bit younger and no longer have my 360 or PS4. Funnily enough I do still have my Xbox original. Go figure.

I've always had a bit of a fascination with 'retro' games and consoles and have managed to hold onto the family NES and SNES so that's a plus. Unfortunately when 360 gets superseded by One it's very easy as a broke teenager to 'upgrade'. Guess I forgot retro stuff was new too at some point.

I have been much more aware of the value of old tech in the last few years and have restored my old trusty 3DS and Wii though which is nice. Miss that 360 though.

• 1 month later...

I keep all of my old game consoles. The only time I sell or get rid of one nowadays is either if it's broken in a way that I can't repair or if I have too many of the same system.

A year after my family got a Wii, I got rid of my old GameCube because the Wii was backwards compatible. My launch revision PS2 had a broken disc drive, so I ended up getting rid of it and replacing it with a later revision one (still the Fat model though). I used to have a late revision Original XBOX, but its disc drive stopped working and replacement drives were hard to find, so I bought another Original XBOX and ended up donating the broken one to a thrift store.

• Brohoof 1

I still have my old Dsi and my 3Ds XL as well. I'm so glad that I have them to this very day because they brought me so much joy when I was younger and I can't not get rid of all my Pokémon games. Also I can't forget about all the stuff that people created when Flipnote Studios was still alive. 

• Brohoof 1

Depends on the console, I still have some older nintendo stuff but sold my old PS2 about a year ago. Tried selling an old xbox360 too but apparantly it stopped working at some point so they wouldn't take it :p

• 2 weeks later...

I used to keep them until finances and storage became an issue. That said there isn’t a moment where I don’t regret selling my old games, especially my GC Collection 

• Brohoof 1