Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions Cover photo for rent??

Clod

So I came to the forum and clicked on my profile. Suddenly there's an image I've never seen before. "THIS SPACE FOR RENT" as my cover photo.

At first I thought it was automatically added when someone hasn't added a cover photo. But I checked a few other profiles and it doesn't seem to exist elsewhere.

Now, I don't know how this happened. Did someone gain access to my account to make a joke? Does a member of staff have this ability and used it to make a joke? I have no idea.

If it's the latter, I'm sure someone's having a good laugh reading this. And if so I don't really care, I'll just continue with my day. If it's the former, do you have a record of IP's accounts have signed in from? Not sure what good that would do, but I don't really want someone else having access to my account. Clearly there is no malicious intent, but maybe that IP would match another user's and you could give them a warning? Idk. I don't want to send anyone on a hunt through every user's IPs for a match if that would be necessary. Idk what you're working with. If not, I'll just change my password I guess.

Someone suggested it may be a bug, but it seems too perfect for that.

• Brohoof 4

Yeah to be honest administrators are system operators so they can make modifications to other people's accounts and content just by being logged in as themselves. So no they didn't log into your account but they rather had system permissions to do something like what they might of done. Like it was most likely one of the admins who changed your cover image as a prank but still if it wasn't a prank from them then it would probably mean that someone has hacked your account. Anyways let's just see what the admins say about this! :)

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Techno Universal said:

Anyways let's just see what the admins say about this! :)

Said all activity affecting my account was from my IP. So we have no idea. Possibly a bug.

• Brohoof 3

As an admin, I can say that if anypony here did abuse their power, even for a prank, they would not remain an admin.

You didn't happen to grab a screenshot of it, did you?

• Brohoof 3

Just now, tinker said:

You didn't happen to grab a screenshot of it, did you?

The cover photo is still on my profile. But I did get a screenshot, if needed.

And it's really nothing, so I'd rather someone not lose their position as admin for something this small. Idk what your policies are, but if it's just someone messing with me I don't mind it.

• Brohoof 6

So it is. Shame on me for not checking :)

Yeah, you've had no sign-ins on another IP address since February, so I don't think it was anypony logging in as you.

Would there be a chance that somebody within the place you use MLPF could have accessed your account? Using the same computer, leaving your computer unattended e.g.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, tinker said:

Would there be a chance that somebody within the place you use MLPF could have accessed your account? Using the same computer, leaving your computer unattended e.g.

Nope. I'm in my bedroom 24/7 and my laptop stays on my bed with me. And even if I did, no one else here knows what MLPF is. Not signed in on anything else.

• Brohoof 2

Okay, folks... I confess:  It was ME.

You see, I'd been doing a lot of profile lurking (as is my wont), and I saw so many profiles that didn't have a cover photo... and well, I honestly felt bad for 'em.  I mean, a profile here is supposed to be something for folks to look at and enjoy, right?

So, as per my strange sense of community, I decided to sit down and make up FOUR different CPs, and then I went ONLY to profiles that had no cover photo and changed them, all with the intention to simply give folks who didn't have one something for their profiles.

I swear, I meant no harm or malice - I just wanted to share, because the community here is wonderful, and I always feel as though I rarely get the chance to give back to it.  So, this was what I decided on to do my part to help out.  Admittedly, I was wondering how long it would take for folks to discover it...

Though it really didn't occur to me that folks would think they got hacked; for that, I offer my sincerest apologies to anyone who went through unneccesary steps to prevent something that didn't happen.  AND I apologize to anyone who might be offended or angry over this.

I meant absolutely no harm.  All I wanted to do was something nice for the folks here.

Please forgive me.  *bows humbly*

EVIDENCE:

59edefe9ef4fa_ThisSpaceForRentCP.thumb.jpg.74164b794b52c18fe76d83e9c7b2b01f.jpg59edefeec6e82_NMMblankCP.thumb.jpg.19969dab0f83725b2c94c941031dd176.jpg59edeff3bbf9d_MPblankCP.thumb.jpg.788bc4f0e37d6d14fb33816c0d9c2187.jpgNoCapes.jpg.867ceeccbbaf77a49ea2554bbf12d615.jpg

... all me.

• Brohoof 8

18 hours ago, meme said:

Idk what your policies are, but if it's just someone messing with me I don't mind it.

Throughout the long history of this site, several staffers do/did engage in the occasional joke like this. Rather than an abuse of power, it tends to create a sense of community engagement that goes beyond normal interactions. I've even been known to do large scale things like this on a whim, such as changing everyone rank badge image to Blank Flank and changing the banner to Diamond Tiara. Small and large scale tomfoolery keeps the community from feeling too stale. 

The trick in individual jokes was always knowing where the line was, and knowing the person who you are interacting with. For instance, playing a prank on @Lightwing would have always elicited a friendly response. Doing the same thing with another person would would not. It's a skill to be able to read people online, and one only a few people can apply judiciously when it comes to this sort of thing. If you don't have a decent relationship with the person, it's a risk. 

That's why I tried to encourage restraint. Chaotic Discord, Artemis, Lightwing, and myself had a knack for being able to have playful fun with the members without it coming off as anything coming close to mean and inappropriate. One need only to look at one of the lessons in Griffon the Brush Off and Pinkie Pie warning Dash away from pranking Fluttershy. That's a applicable lesson when it comes to this. Personally, I hope this sort of thing never changes. It makes the place feel more dynamic. 

• Brohoof 6

7 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

Okay, folks... I confess:  It was ME.

For the record, there is no logging of cover photos changes, so thank you for coming forward.

I'm just a poor ops pony, that was more worried about the security of our beloved MLPF and possible intrusions. For this situation, I respectfully bow to the wisdom of ponies like @Jeric and our current mod staff. Though the notion of doing such a thing is completely ineffable to me, none know our community better than those ponies.

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

One need only to look at one of the lessons in Griffon the Brush Off and Pinkie Pie warning Dash away from pranking Fluttershy.

^ This.

• Brohoof 4

Does anybody have cover photo space for rent? I'm looking for some space to put MLPF advertisements. :D 

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 4