Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

OC hate I need help understanding

dellapoint

ok, so I have loved this show as a child and have been watching the newest gen since it first came out. It started as watching it, then I started dressing as rainbow dash for Halloween every year, started drawing them (since I draw other things all the time anyway for my job), started getting plushies and figurines, I even got her cutie mark tattooed on my "flank". I was invited to Ponyville Ciderfest and it was not only the first con I have ever gone to, but I staffed it as well and started understanding the OC thing a little better. 

One of the friends I made there suggested creating my own OC since he thought my costume was pretty good for it being simply a halloween costume and I'm good at lots of different kinds of art. When I was discussing my frustration about creating an OC I said "I identify well with the characteristics of all three pony types, but I am guessing being an alicorn is frowned upon". I don't know why I had this feeling, but I just did. He immediately confirmed my assumption and says it is hated on quite widely throughout the con community. Upon further research, it seems people don't like this at all. I assumed it is because it seems pretentious, but what if it isn't because you think you are powerful, or a princess or anything of the sort, but more because you are hard-working and strong (physically, mentally and emotionally), but you also love learning and music and can sing, and you are quick and light on your feet? 

In the show, Twilight became an alicorn after accomplishing an amazing feat! I have overcome a lot of really hard things that have made me a stronger person and much better friend/family member because of it and I guess that is why I felt I identified with it. I just want some thoughts on it because I def don't want to offend any con attendees in future cons or come off as pretentious or be hated on at all. Thoughts?

I've always thought that that line of thinking about alicorns always boils down to the grade school argument that always starts when two kids are playing superheroes "no! My character is impervious to your characters strength! Therefore I win!" 

True there is some merit to that If you're looking at the conversation in a vacuum, but c'mon man, it's whoever and whatevers making the characters deisre for that character! It's your head canon for your head character! Buck those have hate! :D

• Brohoof 1

When it comes down to it you're pretty right, alicorn OC's tend to be hated throughout the fandom. I guess the main issue with them tends to be that others will assume that the creator of the OC is just making a Mary Sue, or a character that's just too overpowered. This makes the creator look bad.

But as long as you know that you're doing it out of a genuine interest in the alicorn race and because it's based on your own feelings and life experience, then I think you should! Just be prepared to defend your OC once in a while. People tend to be annoying XD

• Brohoof 2

There are different kinds of OCs. There are those that you create in an attempt to make them fit into the world of the show. And then there are OCs that are literally YOU as a pony or other species.

For example, the ahuizotl character in my avatar. That’s literally me as a cartoon character. She’s a visual representation of a specific fan. I don’t personally believe there are other ahuizotls running around within the Equestrian borders, and especially not bespectacled ones that like to draw cartoons.

I wouldn’t recommend making an alicorn OC if it’s a character separate from yourself. You can always give it a shot, but you need to really sit down and think about the character’s life and backstory and think of an explanation for why they are an alicorn.

But if the OC is just an artistic rendering of yourself, just do whatever you want!

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

I've never spent time with anyone in the fandom who actually sat down and individually called out people about their OC, but I reckon that's a great way to find people in the fandom totally unworthy of interaction.

Keep that perspective and I think you only have upsides to you doing you.

• Brohoof 2

@Valencia-Thanks for feeling the same way as me with "buck those who have hate" bc I always felt a large part of the con is everyine gets to do what they want, so let them do their thing. I saw a lot of things I didn't understand and would ask them in a friendly way to find out more! But I also saw a lot of people talking behind backs and making fun of OC's and I guess it feels like its counter-productive to one of the best reasons we love going to cons-acceptance of our differences and uniting in that difference!

@Tech Reel-like I said, when it's broken down, I relate to all three. I am 32 and was raised to be hard working, help family and have a good work ethic, so Earth pony. I love music and learning, singing and the arts, and have weaknesses because of depending on other things sometimes, so unicorn. I am quick and hyper motivated, love flying and speed and am light on my feet and agile when competing in sports, so pegasus. It's hard to choose when I identify with all three. I also had a lot of hardships and one truly big one that changed my life forever and am now able to live to my full potential which allows me to be helpful to those around me who need me in my family and friends! I had one big moment that changed me for the better forever. Now i can be strong for me and others, confident for me and others, responsible for me and others. It was a real game-changer! And I guess when Twilight changed, it really resonated with me. Its what the alicorn represents that draws me in, not the attention or design, so I'm glad that you get it would be for identity purposes more than astheatics!

@ShadOBabe-the explanation above I believe relates to what youre saying. Yeah, I would rather have an OC that feels like me, not walking around acting like I should be or deserve to be a newly created character. I agree with youre take on things too. That it would be me as a pony, how I feel I would make the most sense. But, because of the defending I would possibly have to do, maybe my OC can actually live the life I did as well. I started out never having confidence or self worth or self awareness of who I was and went through this great change in life. Maybe if my OC starts out as one, can eventually live out her OC life going through this change and by then my con friends would get the change should I decide to do that. It would make for a fun OC story to actually play it out over several cons and then my fan friends wouldn't see me as being pretentious!

@Ivan The Adorable-I have only ever been to this last con for MLP and while most people were very chill and accepting, there were some more seasoned attendees that would talk behind the other cosplayers back and rag on their OC's or choices or whatever. But youre right, at least I would know who I wouldnt want to spend my time at the con with at that point.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an alicorn oc. I mean, I really had just created her in my likeness. Alicorns normally get hate because others think that we are creating a Mary Sue. You just got to focus on the details that make them not like that. Trust me, it gets better. If they don't like you oc, then they don't have good taste.

On 10/24/2017 at 9:41 PM, dellapoint said:

In the show, Twilight became an alicorn after accomplishing an amazing feat! I have overcome a lot of really hard things that have made me a stronger person and much better friend/family member because of it and I guess that is why I felt I identified with it. I just want some thoughts on it because I def don't want to offend any con attendees in future cons or come off as pretentious or be hated on at all. Thoughts?

A lot of people make their OC's as pony versions of themselves, from style to personality. Your choice of Earth, Unicorn, Pegasus, Bat, Alicorn, ect... is for you to decide. Don't change your values because someone else disagrees with your choice to have a Alicorn OC.