Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

how far is too far?

~Phoenix~

2 hours ago, ~Phoenix~ said:

perhaps it would be better to discuss this with a mod in PM, but i have a few questions in regards to what sort of things are allowed, and where the line between fine, and NSFW lies. 

Nah this can be a public thing. 

In general the rule is saucy is ok ... but not anything fetish focused and definitely directly depicting a sexual act or genitalia. Excessive gore is also a no no. 

Staff have always been open to reviewing a specific pic or whatnot before you post it to vet it so you don't have it flagged or hidden and receive a message or warning from them.

Traditionally, this would be acceptable

77e.png

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Nah this can be a public thing. 

In general the rule is saucy is ok ... but not anything fetish focused and definitely directly depicting a sexual act or genitalia. Excessive gore is also a no no. 

Staff have always been open to reviewing a specific pic or whatnot before you post it to vet it so you don't have it flagged or hidden and receive a message or warning from them.

Traditionally, this would be acceptable

77e.png

Alright. I typically like to speak in a roleplay sense, because that's what I end up doing on here most of the time. I'm a huge fan of romance, and I'm certainly no stranger to being descriptive when it came to two characters interactions in the bedroom. 

So, it's okay to reference it, but not go into detail? Would it be okay to imply that two characters interacted in an nsfw manner, without directly going into detail about it?

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, ~Phoenix~ said:

Alright. I typically like to speak in a roleplay sense, because that's what I end up doing on here most of the time. I'm a huge fan of romance, and I'm certainly no stranger to being descriptive when it came to two characters interactions in the bedroom. 

So, it's okay to reference it, but not go into detail? Would it be okay to imply that two characters interacted in an nsfw manner, without directly going into detail about it?

My fault. I missed the RP tag completely. This is actually a bit more ... nebulous. Honestly, textual references were something that was often hard to come to a consensus back with I was on staff, and the RP staff team often drew their own line that may or may not have been the same as a line in other areas of the site. 

I'm actually be curious myself if they have ever figured this out. Personally I've never had an issue with innuendo anywhere ... but I'm not on staff so I'd wait for them. Or ... 

@Randimaxis ... question. How much can someone in RP talk about sexytimes?

• Brohoof 2

43 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

Is romantic RPing allowed?

as far as i'm aware, yes. i'm just trying to figure out to which degree you can take your affection before it becomes too much. 

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Jeric said:

How much can someone in RP talk about sexytimes?

That's a very good looking question, Jeric!  Well then, let's explore our limits, shall we?

Right off the bat:

"He whipped out his enor[CENSORED]k, throbbing and pulsing, and shoved it into her q[ALSO CENSORED]sy.  Thru[NUH-UH]usly, he knew it wouldn't be long before her w[NOPE]ld be soaked in h[DON'T THINK SO]z."

^THAT sort of thing is right out.^

As far as it goes, when it comes to how far one can go description-wise, it's always best to err on the side of prudence.  This is, after all, a forum for a kids' show; being overly descriptive about sex on such a site... well, it makes someone seem a bit skeevy when they do it.  Add into that the different times there actually HAVE been issues... 

But that doesn't mean we're all neutered/neutral, either.  

Now, being what they are, roleplayers can be exceedingly intelligent; it's not much of a stretch to see when characters in a scene are moving from PG-13 to R rated activities, and it's also not a crime to merely allude to such things.  Why get all sorts of descriptive when chances are, you folks already know there's some 'boink-squeak' about to happen.  And don't give me any complaints about NOT knowing what sex is; you've got the Internet - ignorance is no excuse.

At the safest, something like this would be acceptable:

"They slid their forehooves around each other, and the kiss that ensued was one of legend.  The slight pop when their lips parted was a sound of pure joy to her, and she smiled a half-lidded and salacious grin as she led him to her chambers.  As the door closed, they kissed again... and the sounds that came from behind the door were both merry and naughty, and proved to all whom was truly in love."

^Tamest, safest stuff.^

Now, if we want to get descriptive, that can be allowed, sure... but keep it tasteful, and know where to stop.

When you post romance, try to keep descriptions mental in nature, or alliterative - folks may want the big, juicy details of what sexual organs look like, but with the possible tiny tots around, it pays NOT to write absolute smut in a roleplay.  I've seen a sex scene carried out JUST BARELY within allowable parameters, where nothing directly physical was involved.  THAT would be my best advice, I think. 

Romantic moves?  Yes.  Romance makes for GREAT roleplay.

Talking dirty?  PG-13 rated, at best.

Flirting?  Sure.  (Keep it tasteful.)

For the most part, Common Sense plays a large role in how far you can go.  I'd actually suggest you picture in your mind that, as you write your scene, there are young children whom your post is being narrated to.  Picture their faces as you choose which words to use, and remember that actual, physical sex scenes are unnecessary to a descriptive mind.

If it's something you'd see in Equestria Girls, then it's acceptable to be in a roleplay.  At the MOST, I will refer you to the sex scenes in the TV series 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer'; they gave a glimpse into the romantic world, then left the sordid details up to individual imaginations, usually going from passionate kisses and segue-ing into the next-day scenes.

Bottom Line:  This is MLP Forums - not PENTHOUSE Forums.  Describe enough to convey what's happening, but leave the actual scene's physical details up to the imaginations of others.

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

thanks! that actually helped to clear things up a lot. i kinda already knew that going all the way was a definite nono, but was unclear as to where the edges lie (of course, if i'm in berlin then i know without a doubt i'm in Germany. but i have no clue where the border lies)

truth be told, i had no idea before asking this if you could go beyond kissing and cuddling. perhaps blush faces the next morning was all i could really imagine when trying to convey how things went the night before. 

although, when i used to roleplay on other mediums, i was no stranger to the lewd details. i can deffinitely still understand how a descriptive mind can fill in the gaps. in fact, i think i got plenty from your demonstration :)

at the end of it all, i thank you for helping me to understand where the line is, and it will certainly make my RP experience better off for it. 

hold on just a moment though. i have ONE more question, and this one i think sorta skims the edges of things a little closer. what about touching and caressing? i mean, obviously not in the nono zones, but for instance, what if the stallion in question were to place a hoof on the flanks of the mare in question?

Good answers in here already. 

I'll give my own advice on this though. 

Try to keep things non-descriptive or keep the descriptiveness to a minimum. When it comes to something sexual or nsfw like and you are on a site such as this one, I think it would be safer to keep it out of the RP considering this is a PG-13 site. Why would it be needed in the first place? There are so many ways around it as Randi kinda showed with just the kissing and the romance. There really is nothing that calls for it to be taken all the way :) If it is about you know... having a foal together and parenthood, well. There is always the Disney approach :P Romance (kissing), bedroom and suddenly pregnancy is revealed, that is suggestive enough for a site like this one I think. 

I don't think you want to be taking the risk of anything NSFW-like in a RP as it can sometimes be taken too far as you can forget yourself (unless you contact someone like Randi or another RP staffer whether you post is fine or not ;)) 

I know firsthand of how it can go when you take things far :P  @Jeric here was the first one to ever give me a warning (it was my first one and rightly so) and it was supposed to be an 800 point one (yes, it was that serious, I was way too gory :blink:) but was instead trimmed down a bit since it was my first one. Plus other NSFW things took place in the same RP. This is why I tell you to stay on the safe side :please: There is not always a need to push things a bit further ;)

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis, you mention examples from visual media based entertainment. Perhaps for the OP's benefit we should draw inspiration for examples from actual literature as RP is a bit more textual, and I could most certainly make Buffy scenes inappropriate for anywhere on MLPF stating within the confines of what is depicted on screen. 

As a better barometer, this is from Nicholas Sparks The Notebook

"The world seemed dreamlike as she pulled back from him, the firelight setting her face aglow. Without speaking, she started to undo the button on his shirt. He watched her as she made her way downward. With each button he could feel her fingers brushing against his skin, and she smiled softly at him when she finally finished [...] She felt short of breath as he lowered his head and kissed between her breasts and slowly ran his tongue up her neck. His hands gently caressed her back, her arms, her shoulders, and she felt their heated bodies press together, skin to skin."

Decidedly PG-13 at the worst, yet nothing you would see on the show or on Equestria Girls. Obviously this is acceptable for GD if someone created a Romance Novel thread, as I don't think bewbs are banned. 

One element of the answer you gave makes it sound like the above would be inappropriate, yet how you conclude the answer would make it appear Mr. Sparks penchant for the sensual would be appropriate. 

Thougts?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
6 hours ago, JonasDarkmane said:

Why would it be needed in the first place?

I enjoy putting romance into my RP. And adding those extra details can make it all that much better if done tastefully. Seeing as how it can be a slippery slope, I wanted to ask before it happens, to make sure. 

Edited by ~Phoenix~

• The topic was locked