Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just how much smaller are MLP Ponies to real life Ponies?

Azureth

It's really too abstract a question. We can know roughly based on relative sizes, compared to objects like trees etc - and by that scale, the Mane 6 are around the size of a large dog.  However, that is only relative to the size of things like trees; if trees were noticeably larger in the pony universe, then our "little" ponies could be larger than full sized horses here. If trees were much, much smaller, then ponies could be pocket sized.

If the question really was "if magic transported a pony here, what size would it be?" then the answer is simpler - whatever size the magic says it will be :)

1 hour ago, Concerned Bystander said:

I was looking for that picture, but you beat me to it.  Of course that comparison, as meticulous as it is, is predicated on an Equestrian foot being the same as an Earth foot.

Well, that, and that a "foot" is an anatomically derived unit - you can't use a measure of how long someone's foot (hoof?) is, to work out how tall they are, because you are basically just measuring a ratio :)

It may depend on the breed of the pony in question. Some ponies are almost as big as the average horse, and others are smaller than many dog breeds :huh: . I'm not very knowledgeable in real life ponies, but I think the average equestrian pony is not the smallest kind of pony if we compare the Friendship Games blooper picture  

• 4 years later...

And of course the other end of the comparison is kinda wibbly as well, given that there are several somewhat vague overlapping criteria for the classification of 'pony' in equine breeds. A lot of people go off the height of the horse at the withers (between 38 and 59 inches), but there are many non-pony equine breeds that fall into that size range as well. Plus there's *miniature* horse breeds that break that.

Other criteria involve leg length to body diameter ratios, thickness of the mane, etc. It's all rather arbitrary, to be honest, and most of the time it's left up to the various breed registries to define whether their specific equine is a 'pony' or a 'horse'.

And, of course, the farther back in history you go, the more arbitrary it gets. 'Pony' used to be a term describing how you used the breed, rather than what it looked like, and before that it was a term meaning the regions the breed originated from (Cold, northern climate vs warm, southern climate). Which is due to the fact that 'Pony', 'Equine', and 'Horse' all come to English through different languages (Gaelic, French, Germanic, etc.), so it's all really boils down to what the people who bred the animal called them. ;)

• Brohoof 1