Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever heard a false rumour about yourself?

Reecejackox

Oh yes, back in grade school rumors would spread that I was gay because how affectionate I'd get to my friends. Guess I was the only guy who'd hug their friends. There was also a really fun one spread by my old friends that I was in an incestual relationship with my younger sister. I managed to defuse the situation, but someone tries that shit now I'd make them regret it.

These are really all I can remember.

• Brohoof 5

I can somewhat relate to the above post, at least the first part. Way back in middle school everyone took it for granted that me and my friend were gays because we were always together. It really did not have anything to do with sexuality, but rather the fact that we were such introverted cowards back then that getting friends was as easy as flying to the moon. It was, however, quite easily defused when some girl came to us and actually asked about it. 

Then there was this nifty little rumor where I had put a cat inside a washing machine for some reason. I don't know how, where and when it was born but it sure made me the fool of the school. 

• Brohoof 4

Quite a few.

First time I can recall is at school, the year we moved to France, when a bully beat me up right outside the gates (and nobody intervened, except to hold me when I wanted to hit back). Afterwards there were rumors that I'd cried rape, and - hoo boy, kids I didn't even know talked about it for several months.

Another one happened on the forums, prompted by some stupid DeviantART meme I'd done. It was a journal meme where you had 100 questions, and for one of them I admitted I sometimes slapped my autistic sister when she was "being intolerable". This was when my vocabulary was more limited, so what I'd meant by "intolerable" was "harassing", as in pushing my patience too far about things. The people on that forums, however, decided it would be cool to point at that and go: "see, you hit your autistic sister for pleasure and to vent off your anger". I of course tried to clear that up, explaining that we (mainly my mother and I) were actually doing our best to hold back but she sometimes pushes us over the edge. Again, the same people decided it was a good idea to warp that into: "it's okay to hit my autistic sister because she's annoying" (conveniently ignoring my use of the plural in the process). I eventually left that place, and I've been told they'd continued spreading those same lies about how I'd "said it was okay to hit my sister to let off steam". Still can't figure where they got the "said it was okay" and "stress relief" bits from, but I think it was all done on purpose; as they were calling me "drama queen" whilst digging for months-old posts of mine and continuing to hate on me long after I stopped reacting.

• Brohoof 1

I suppose so. I've had stuff get back to me via coworkers, friends, family, and certainly through forum related activities.

Mostly innocuous stuff, and almost always off the mark to various degrees. That's actually the most common rumor type, friends and family talking about a mutually known individual without said individual present, resulting in the building of a consensus about this individual. I never really paid them much mind as I'm an open book and have no reluctance in showing others my virtues AND faults should they ask. Not having an agenda or strong desire to be right is appropriately liberating. However there is safety in not talking directly to the person, since not wanting to have an uncomfortable conversation tends to arise from fear and apprehension. 

Some aren't false, just opinion based. Apparently, I am mean. :smug:

• Brohoof 1

There was a rumor apparently that involved me having some unnamed contagious disease. Probably why so many people avoided me like the plague and used me for the stupidest jokes involving other people "liking" me. They should know it's false, and it was downright insulting. If that's a joke, then maybe I don't want to have a sense of humor, because it'd make me a worse person if I found anything like that even remotely funny.

• Brohoof 2

Well back in 2015 there was a student called Marcus at my school and he always wanted to get me into trouble and he started a fake rumour scheme claiming that I said I wanted to rape the girls at the school. Now that's just something I would never say but still the rumour eventually got around to the teachers and I ended up getting a number of detentions for something that I didn't even do. It's also because Marcus convinced a number of other students to report me about saying I wanted to rape the girls to the teachers and the students he convinced all had a reputation of being 100% honest about everything so that just made things worse for me. However in the end Marcus got into a lot more trouble than me as he was found out to have created the fake rumour himself. And that's also when the teachers let me off the hook of the situation! :)   

• Brohoof 4

When I was little I used to get into fights with other kids, and because I often didn't talk to others afterwards they would say things like I was knocked out or I was beatin up bad, while the matter was I won the fights it just that I felt really guilty and didn't want to say anything.

• Brohoof 1

I heard rumors about myself when I was in high school because my friends would tell me about them, a lot of them ranged from me being autistic (some people at my school thought it was an insult to call somebody autistic, go figure) to me being some kind of psychopath who was on the verge of murdering somebody.

Of course these rumors were false, I'm not autistic (at least I don't think I am) and I'd never be able to take another person's life.

Not only rumours. False claims and allegations. Shit's fun, the amount of crap people tell about me is hilarious. There are so many things they say that's outright wrong and false that I just end up laughing my ass off.

Well, I don't know if this counts but a lot of the people in my building seem to think I'm the "Resident Lesbian".  It used to be annoying but now I think it's funny, I'm actually ftm...

• Brohoof 2

Yep, it was pretty hilariously stupid . Back in high, I was reading a manga "Death Note, " and one chick goes around making things up  to people that I was holding an actual death note with the students names.  Kids right? xp

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

When I was 11, someone passed me a note during a test. I can’t even remember what was on it now, but it made me want to laugh, and while I was trying to hold back my laughter, I kind of farted. :lie:

It wasn’t that loud; only the people near me actually heard, but by the end of the day the story was that I had farted really loudly on purpose during the test in a poor attempt to make people laugh. 

Kids... :huh:

I thought I’d never live that down, but thankfully everyone got bored of it in a few days!

• Brohoof 3

not very big compared to some, but apparently there was a rumor that i fell asleep during science class in 5th grade. i didn't even know that was a rumor until three years later lmao.

• Brohoof 1

People tended to question my sexuality and even gender because I was the shy & quiet type. IIRC a rumor as such was beginning to spread in either junior high or high school, but was quickly quashed as those who liked me tended to majorly outnumber those that didn't. :/

When I was in primary school (so, between the ages of 4-12 or so), someone in my class, began to call my ginger hair ugly and freakish, and after getting most of the class on his side, knowing that my young classmates didn't know any better, started a rumour that my ginger hair was a result of a disease, and that if people touched me, they would catch it. Over the next few years, they figured out that it wasn't true, but by then, the whole class was against me, so they perpetuated it by refusing to play with me and refusing to touch me. The bullying continued into high school, although many of them stopped it when the cool new students decided that they liked me. Some of them genuinely felt sorry about it and apologised in later years, though. That was nice.

sadly too many. Back in the days when I was part of drama on a furry forum. This was about 7 years ago now. Some people still like to bring it up via twitter every so often. Ive since let it go, but there are some evil personalities out there who thrive on making us miserable. =/ 

• Brohoof 2

Ha I've had one too many about me :lol:  A few months ago all of my friends I know irl we're pretty sure I was dating this dude who I'm very close friends with. The truth is I've never thought of him as anything more than a friend, and he always thought the same of me. We're just very good friends. We never dated, and never will. But all my other friends were going around with this rumor thinking we were secretly boyfriend/girlffriend. It was so annoying. Eventually everyone must have forgot about it, because now no one ever speaks of it. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1