Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Attempt at a Chronological Timeline

Starshine Sprinkles

Take a look at the OP of this thread. There's a timeline that shows this timeframe.

It's been quite a few years... most feel it's about 7 or 8 which is reasonable. You say 4 and you have to do a lot of squeezing to get that to happen. 

Why do you say that "most feel it's about 7 or 8 years"? I've seen very few timelines that show that length of time. Other than "one season is probably one year", you don't get that -- and we don't see anywhere near enough time-themed episodes to show that much.

1 hour ago, keybounce said:

Why do you say that "most feel it's about 7 or 8 years"? I've seen very few timelines that show that length of time. Other than "one season is probably one year", you don't get that -- and we don't see anywhere near enough time-themed episodes to show that much.

Based on people that watch the show. Some even feel it's been 10 years but the most common time frame believed from my point of view is 7 or 8 years. That's just usually the answer I get. It's an opinion.

Well, then we are just at the "agree to disagree" point. When I talk with people that have seen any attempt to put a timeline down, it's consistent at about 4, 4.5 years to Twilight's school. I've seen three timelines now. Basically, the question is, was the school only open for half a year in season 8, or a full year.

Re-reading the OP here ... it seems inconsistent. The OP actually has the school open for a year and a half. So that's ... ???

Now, the length of 8 and 9 ... I've seen that vary based on the timeline.

14 hours ago, keybounce said:

Well, then we are just at the "agree to disagree" point. When I talk with people that have seen any attempt to put a timeline down, it's consistent at about 4, 4.5 years to Twilight's school. I've seen three timelines now. Basically, the question is, was the school only open for half a year in season 8, or a full year.

Re-reading the OP here ... it seems inconsistent. The OP actually has the school open for a year and a half. So that's ... ???

Now, the length of 8 and 9 ... I've seen that vary based on the timeline.

4 to 4.5 years can be done for the beginning of the show to Twilight's school... It's still squeezing and assuming we see everything but possible.

As far as Twilight's school... It's been a long time. A few things points to a year... but if you include the time after season 8 to season 9... I would say near 2 years as the nine month mark happens before the hearts warming... and you have the hearts warming special. I think there was a clip of Fluttershy winning teacher of the month for like 19 months or something as well.

Edited by Kadeda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/29/2017 at 2:46 AM, Starshine Sprinkles said:

TL;DR version:

Reveal hidden contents

Colour-coded by season with noteworthy recurring events in parentheses.

Year 1:

• Friendship is Magic (Summer Sun Celebration)
  • Griffon the Brush Off
  • Boast Busters
  • Dragonshy
  • Look Before You Sleep
  • Bridle Gossip
  • Feeling Pinkie Keen
  • Over a Barrel
  • Applebuck Season (applebuck season)
  • Call of the Cutie
  • The Ticket Master
  • Stare Master
  • Spike at Your Service
  • Suited for Success
  • Swarm of the Century
  • The Show Stoppers
  • Green isn't Your Colour
  • Sonic Rainboom
  • A Bird in the Hoof
  • Family Appreciation Day (zap apple season)
  • Lesson Zero
  • A Dog and Pony Show
  • Sisterhooves Social (Sisterhooves Social)
  • The Cutie Mark Chronicles
  • Owl's Well That Ends Well
  • The Cutie Pox
  • Baby Cakes (Cake twins' month-i-versary)
  • Ponyville Confidential
  • The Last Roundup
  • The Mysterious Mare Do Well
  • Secret of My Excess (Spike's birthday)
  • One Bad Apple
  • The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 (cider season)
  • Luna Eclipsed (Nightmare Night)
  • Fall Weather Friends (Running of the Leaves)
  • Hearth's Warming Eve (Hearth's Warming Eve)
  • Winter Wrap Up (Winter Wrap Up)
  • Read It and Weep
  • Sweet and Elite (Twilight's birthday)
  • Dragon Quest
  • A Friend in Deed
  • Hearts and Hooves Day (Hearts and Hooves Day)
  • May the Best Pet Win!
  • The Best Night Ever (Grand Galloping Gala)
  • The Return of Harmony
  • Putting Your Hoof Down
  • MMMystery on the Friendship Express
  • Party of One (Pinkie's birthday)
  • It's About Time
  • Hurricane Fluttershy
  • Too Many Pinkie Pies
  • Sleepless in Ponyville
  • Wonderbolts Academy (trial week)
  • Apple Family Reunion
  • A Canterlot Wedding
  • The Crystal Empire
  • Magic Duel
  • Just for Sidekicks
  • Games Ponies Play
  • Keep Calm and Flutter On
  • Magical Mystery Cure
  • Equestria Girls (fall formal in the human world)

Year 2:

• Princess Twilight Sparkle (Summer Sun Celebration)
  • Castle Mane-ia
  • Daring Don't
  • Leap of Faith
  • Power Ponies
  • Three's a Crowd
  • It Ain't Easy Being Breezies
  • For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils
  • Inspiration Manifestation
  • Rarity Takes Manehattan
  • Twilight Time
  • Pinkie Apple Pie
  • Trade Ya!
  • Bats! (applebuck season)
  • Rainbow Falls
  • Flight to the Finish
  • Simple Ways (Ponyville Day)
  • Filli Vanilli (shortly before zap apple season)
  • Pinkie Pride (Rainbow's birthday)
  • Somepony to Watch Over Me
  • Maud Pie
  • Equestria Games
  • Testing Testing 1, 2, 3
  • Twilight's Kingdom
  • Rainbow Rocks
  • The Cutie Map
  • Castle Sweet Castle
  • Made in Manehattan
  • Brotherhooves Social (Sisterhooves Social)
  • Bloom & Gloom
  • Slice of Life
  • Appleoosa's Most Wanted
  • Party Pooped
  • Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?
  • Crusaders of the Lost Mark
  • Scare Master (Nightmare Night)
  • Tanks for the Memories (Running of the Leaves)
  • Hearthbreakers (Hearth's Warming Eve)
  • The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone
  • Princess Spike
  • Canterlot Boutique
  • The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows
  • Amending Fences
  • Make New Friends But Keep Discord (Grand Galloping Gala)
  • Rarity Investigates!
  • The Hooffields and McColts
  • What About Discord?
  • The Mane Attraction
  • The Cutie Re-Mark
  • Friendship Games
  • On Your Marks

Year 3 (approx.):

• Legend of Everfree
  • The Crystalling (Flurry Heart's birthday)
  • The Gift of the Maud Pie
  • Gauntlet of Fire
  • No Second Prances
  • Newbie Dash
  • The Cart Before the Ponies
  • Dance Magic
  • Buckball Season
  • Spice Up Your Life
  • Every Little Thing She Does
  • The Fault in Our Cutie Marks
  • A Flurry of Emotions
  • P.P.O.V.
  • Movie Magic
  • Campfire Tales
  • Applejack's "Day" Off
  • Where the Apple Lies (cider season)
  • 28 Pranks Later
  • The Saddle Row Review
  • A Hearth's Warming Tail (Hearth's Warming Eve)
  • Forever Filly
  • The Times They Are A Changeling
  • Mirror Magic
  • Dungeons & Discords
  • Forgotten Friendship
  • Viva Las Pegasus
  • Stranger Than Fan Fiction
  • Rollercoaster of Friendship
  • Top Bolt (trial week)
  • Parental Glideance
  • Flutter Brutter
  • To Where and Back Again
  • Celestial Advice
  • All Bottled Up

Year 4 (approx.):

• Rock Solid Friendship
  • Honest Apple
  • Fluttershy Leans In
  • Fame and Misfortune
  • Hard to Say Anything
  • A Royal Problem
  • Marks and Recreation
  • The Perfect Pear
  • Not Asking for Trouble
  • Triple Threat
  • Daring Done? (glowpaz festival)
  • Discordant Harmony
  • Once Upon a Zeppelin
  • Secrets and Pies (shortly after Rainbow's birthday)
  • To Change a Changeling
  • A Health of Information
  • It Isn't the Mane Thing About You
  • Uncommon Bond
  • Shadow Play
  • My Little Pony: The Movie
  • Spring Breakdown (spring break in the human world)
  • School Daze
  • The Maud Couple (Maud's birthday)
  • The Break Up Break Down (Hearts and Hooves Day)
  • Grannies Gone Wild
  • The Parent Map
  • The Mean 6

Year 5 (approx.):

• Fake It 'Til You Make It
  • Surf and/or Turf
  • Non-Compete Clause
  • Horse Play
  • Molt Down
  • Marks for Effort (applebuck season)
  • Road to Friendship (glowpaz festival)
  • A Matter of Principals
  • Friendship University
  • Yakity-Sax
  • Father Knows Beast (cider season)
  • The Hearth's Warming Club (Hearth's Warming Eve)
  • The End in Friend
  • A Rockhoof and a Hard Place
  • The Washouts
  • What Lies Beneath
  • Sounds of Silence
  • School Raze

When I have the time, I like to rewatch the whole series before the new season premieres, which is what I did during the hiatus leading up to season seven. I've been wanting to try arranging the episodes in chronological order for a while now, since I often find myself enjoying a series more if I feel like I’m watching it in the same order as the characters experience it, as it adds more context to the episodes. So during my latest rewatch, I made notes whenever I encountered tidbits that could have an effect on the episode's chronological placement, and arranged the episodes according to these notes as season seven was being released. I figured the end of season seven would be as good a time as any to release my timeline. It would be much appreciated if you could give me feedback on my order and point out details I might have missed. It’s probably impossible to create a definitive timeline but I believe we might be able to at least get close.

Now, I am of the belief that the first three seasons take place over the course of a single year. It’s never outright stated that exactly one year has passed, but Celestia’s words at the end of Princess Twilight Sparkle make it sound like it’s the first Summer Sun Celebration since Luna’s return.

”Citizens of Equestria, it is no longer with a heavy heart but with great joy that I raise the summer sun. For this celebration now represents not the defeat of Nightmare Moon, but the return of my sister, Princess Luna.” – Princess Celestia, S4E2

So, the first course of action was to fit the first three seasons’ episodes into a one-year timespan. Although there is no evidence that would suggest an Equestrian year is the same length as an Earth year I’m going to be using real-life dates for the sake of simplicity. My interpretation is as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

Friendship is Magic: The first two-parter seems like the obvious starting point. The pilot takes place during the Summer Sun Celebration, which is said to be on the longest day of the year. Summer solstice occurs on the 21st of June, which is where I’m going to place this episode.

Griffon the Brush Off: I’m placing this episode early on in the series since Rainbow Dash and Twilight find Pinkie annoying, meaning they don’t know each other very well yet. This also marks the first instance of a friendship letter in my timeline. Twilight is supposed to send a weekly friendship letter to Celestia, but I believe this deadline is something she set for herself. Twilight cares deeply about impressing Celestia and would probably take the friendship letters very seriously and in Celestial Advice we find out that the letters were mostly an excuse for Celestia to remain in contact with her student. Let’s say that Gilda visits Rainbow Dash on Tuesday the 22nd of June, giving Twilight an opportunity to write a letter to Celestia and decide that her self-imposed deadline falls on each Tuesday, meaning the 29th of June is the next deadline. This is the framework I will be using up until Lesson Zero.

Boast Busters: Twilight is afraid of showing off her magic powers, meaning this episode takes place early on in the series. Twilight writes a letter to Celestia, meaning she has met her deadline, placing the next deadline on the 6th of July.

Dragonshy: Rainbow Dash is annoyed with Fluttershy, despite the two of them being childhood friends, meaning this likely takes place early on in the series. In this episode, Twilight writes to Celestia to tell her that they successfully convinced the dragon to leave, she just so happened to learn a friendship lesson along the way. Knowing Twilight, it is quite possible that she wouldn’t count this as meeting the deadline and decides she needs to learn another friendship lesson in order to meet the deadline on the 6th of July.

Look Before You Sleep: Applejack and Rarity don’t get along yet, placing this episode early on in the series. Applejack also says the pegasi accidentally skipped a rainfall last week, which would make sense if they were distracted by the presence of a dragon. Twilight writes a friendship letter to Celestia, thus meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 13th of July.

Bridle Gossip: This episode takes place less than a month after Twilight moves to Ponyville since Zecora visits the town every month and this is the first time Twilight sees her. Twilight writes a letter to Celestia, thus meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 20th of July.

Feeling Pinkie Keen: This episode introduces the Pinkie sense, so any episode it appears in should come after this one. Additionally, Fluttershy addresses Twilight by her full name, which means it’s probably quite early on in their friendship. Probably takes place after Bridle Gossip since Twilight was quite adamant about not believing in curses in that episode, which kind of goes against the lesson she learns in this one. Twilight writes a letter to Celestia, meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 27th of July.

Over a Barrel: Braeburn says that first harvest should be any day now, placing this episode shortly before Applebuck Season. Twilight writes a letter to Celestia, meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 3rd of August.

Applebuck Season: I’m placing this episode right after Over a Barrel since Braeburn said harvest season is coming up. Certain kinds of apples are ready for harvest in late July/early August, so this seems like a decent point to place this episode. I don't think Equestrian flora and fauna should be viewed as an absolute indicator of the time of year since their world works so much differently from ours, but I occasionally use it as a reference when I need some inspiration for where to place the episodes. Twilight writes a friendship report, meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 10th of August.

Call of the Cutie: School has started at this point, so I’m placing it in August. This marks the formation of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Twilight writes a friendship letter to Celestia, meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 17th of August.

The Ticket Master: Applejack lets Twilight help her with the harvest, placing this episode after Applebuck Season. This episode serves as the introduction of the Grand Galloping Gala arc. Twilight writes a letter to Celestia mainly to explain why she’s returning the tickets so she probably doesn’t regard it as meeting the deadline, which is still on the 17th of August.

Stare Master: This episode serves as the introduction of the stare as well as the CMC capes. At the end of the episode, Twilight says she’ll write a letter to Celestia, but to me it sounds like she’s going to write about the cockatrice and Fluttershy’s stare rather than about a friendship lesson that she wasn't even around to witness first-hand, meaning she might not consider it meeting the deadline. The deadline is still on the 17th of August.

Spike at Your Service: This episode takes place after Call of the Cutie since Apple Bloom mentions the Crusaders. It may feel a bit odd to place a season three episode this early, but I feel like most of this episode’s problems can be solved by placing it early on in the series. Why is Spike a terrible baker? This episode takes place before he has learned to bake (I even headcanon that this episode is where his interest in baking comes from). Why has Spike’s dragon code never been brought up before? Because he hasn’t been in a life-threatening situation before (other than Twilight saving him from the hydra in Feeling Pinkie Keen, but he is already her assistant), and by the end of this episode he learns he doesn’t have to feel indebted to someone if they save his life. I didn’t find anything in the episode that suggests it has to take place later on in the series, so I’m going to stick with this placement. There is no friendship letter in this episode, so it’s okay to place it before Lesson Zero. Twilight’s deadline is still the 17th of August.

Suited for Success: Continues the Grand Galloping Gala arc. At one point, Rainbow Dash crashes through the roof of Carousel Boutique while practising a new trick, which I like to think is her preparing for the Best Young Flyer Competition, placing this episode before Sonic Rainboom. Twilight writes a friendship report to Celestia, meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 24th of August.

Swarm of the Century: Zecora appears in this episode, so it has to take place after Bridle Gossip. The gala dresses appear for a split second, so it probably comes after Suited for Success. Celestia has to postpone her visit, which I’m guessing is why she visits Ponyville in A Bird in the Hoof. Twilight delivers a friendship report in person instead of writing a letter, so I wouldn’t put it past her that she might not count this lesson as meeting the friendship letter deadline. The deadline is still on the 24th of August.

The Show Stoppers: This episode introduces the CMC clubhouse. Twilight mentions that she wants to write a report to Celestia at the end of the episode, but she hasn’t really learned anything herself and instead tries to teach a lesson to the Crusaders in a way, which they didn’t even get quite right in the end. It is possible she still wrote a report to Celestia, but she probably didn’t think her deadline had been met. The deadline is still on the 24th of August.

Green isn’t Your Colour: The gala dresses appear in a scene in which Rarity doesn’t seem to have a dress inspired by nature (which sounds strange given the nature of Fluttershy’s dress). My thinking is that the dresses on the rack are the ones that Hoity Toity ordered at the end of Suited for Success, which would explain why she wouldn’t want to use them in a photo shoot – she can’t deliver already worn dresses to the Best of the Best Boutique. Twilight writes a letter to Celestia, meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 31st of August, which is where I’m placing Lesson Zero.

Sonic Rainboom: Twilight has never heard of a sonic rainboom before, placing this episode before The Cutie Mark Chronicles. Celestia expects a friendship report from Twilight, meaning this episode takes place before Lesson Zero. It is Rarity who delivers the friendship lesson, so this episode doesn’t count towards Twilight’s deadline.

A Bird in the Hoof: Celestia visits Ponyville, presumably after her visit was postponed in Swarm of the Century. Twilight’s friends seem anxious about how to behave around Princess Celestia, so this episode probably takes place before Lesson Zero after which they feel familiar enough to write letters to her. Additionally, this episode showcases quite how nervous Twilight is about disappointing Celestia which serves as some nice buildup for Lesson Zero. Fluttershy delivers the friendship lesson, so this episode doesn’t count towards Twilight’s deadline.

Family Appreciation Day: The CMC clubhouse appears, so this episode takes place after The Show Stoppers. My chronology places zap apple harvest towards the end of August. There is no friendship letter in this episode, so it’s okay to place it before Lesson Zero. Speaking of which...

Lesson Zero: This episode takes place on Twilight’s final deadline day (31st of August in my timeline). After this point, the rest of the mane six can write letters to Celestia, and there are no longer any restrictions on how often the friendship reports are written.

A Dog and Pony Show: Spike’s reaction to Rarity giving him a gemstone seems to suggest this is the first time he has received a gift from her, placing this episode before Owl’s Well That Ends Well where his reaction to receiving the bowtie is nowhere near as strong. Applejack also has a line about how Rarity “won’t even touch mud unless it’s imported”, probably placing this episode before Sisterhooves Social.

Sisterhooves Social: This is where I run into a slight problem with my timeline. This episode takes place one year before Brotherhooves Social, which occurs simultaneously with Made in Manehattan during which the Midsummer Theatre Revival takes place. I can’t seem to place this episode anywhere close to Midsummer, so either it’s a hole in my chronology or there is some explanation such as: 1. Midsummer occurs at a different time in Equestria; most trees are still green on Nightmare Night (presumably on the 31st of October), after all. 2. The climate in Manehattan is different. or 3. The event is simply called the Midsummer Theatre Revival but does not actually take place on Midsummer. For now, I’m choosing to place this episode in early September.

The Cutie Mark Chronicles: Sweetie Belle suggests Rarity when Scootaloo says they should ask the coolest pony in Ponyville how she got her cutie mark, so it would make sense if this episode comes after Sisterhooves Social as the sisters are a lot closer at this point.

Owl’s Well That Ends Well: This marks the first appearance of Owloysius, so any episodes featuring him must come after this one.

The Cutie Pox: Takes place not too long after Bridle Gossip, since Zecora hasn’t visited Ponyville since then and thinks the ponies might still be afraid of her. This does place the episode more than a month after Bridle Gossip, but I imagine Zecora routinely visited the town every month in order to see if the ponies would be ready to talk to her and after the events of Bridle Gossip she was able to stock up on the herbal ingredients sold in Ponyville, making it unnecessary for her to come back to town before now.

Baby Cakes: Introduces the Cake twins, so any episodes featuring them must come after this one. This episode takes place on their month-i-versary, placing their birthday sometime in August in my timeline.

Ponyville Confidential: Has to take place fairly early on in the school year, since Cheerilee says the school paper's previous editor-in-chief graduated last year. There is an article featuring the Cake twins, so this episode comes after Baby Cakes.

The Last Roundup: Cherries are usually harvested in June/July, but as I mentioned, Equestrian climate seems different from ours, so cherries still being ready for harvest probably isn’t too much of a stretch. Has to take place after Lesson Zero since Applejack writes a letter to Celestia.

The Mysterious Mare Do Well: I’m placing this episode after The Cutie Mark Chronicles and Owl’s Well That Ends Well, since Scootaloo’s admiration for Rainbow Dash was hinted at in those episodes and at this point she has started a full-blown fan club for her.

Secret of My Excess: Spike receives a blanket from Applejack in this episode, which later appears in Dragon Quest. A very minor detail, but since I somehow noticed it, it would bother me if I didn't place this episode before that one. This episode takes place on Spike's birthday which is the same day as Twilight's entrance exam. Entrance exams are usually held in spring, but I can't fit this episode there since A Friend in Deed has to take place very early on in the spring since it takes place 75 days before Party of One (which is still in springtime) and has several episodes that have to come before it (including Dragon Quest) which in turn have requirements of their own. Basically, the first few weeks of February are chock-full and having entrance exams in autumn isn't unheard of, right? Maybe they accept new students for the spring term?

One Bad Apple: The Summer Harvest Parade occurs in this episode, so it probably takes place fairly late in the Equestrian summer which seems to span from about June to October. In Apple Family Reunion, Apple Bloom says it hasn't been that long since she and Babs last met, but my interpretation would place that episode about 6-7 months later (unless they met up off-screen, of course). However, Babs has had time to switch schools between these two episodes which would seem awfully quick if this episode came in late spring (which it would have to, if something called the “Summer Harvest Parade” could take place during her stay) so this placement seems the most plausible.

The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000: Cider season occurs fairly late in the year, so mid to late October seems like a good time for this episode, making this the last episode before Nightmare Night.

Luna Eclipsed: Takes place on Nightmare Night, which is based on Halloween, so I choose to place it on the 31st of October.

Fall Weather Friends: Autumn seems to be very short in Equestria, since we’ve barely had any episodes with an autumn setting, and most of the leaves are still green even in the Nightmare Night episodes. We know from the Winter Wrap Up song that Equestrian winters are three months long, so I’m placing the Running of the Leaves sometime in the first few weeks of November, making November, December and January the three winter months.

Hearth’s Warming Eve: This is one of the only two winter episodes of the first three seasons. Since Hearth’s Warming is based on Christmas, I’m placing this episode on Christmas Eve.

Winter Wrap Up: This marks the end of the winter season. I’m placing it towards the end of January.

Read It and Weep: Rainbow Dash is introduced to the Daring Do books. Probably takes place after Fall Weather Friends in which Rainbow makes fun of Twilight for being an egghead.

Sweet and Elite: Twilight’s birthday. The Grand Galloping Gala is coming up soon.

Dragon Quest: Spike has a photo from Twilight’s birthday party, placing this episode after Sweet and Elite. Has to take place before A Friend in Deed, since Cranky Doodle Donkey appears in this episode, travelling and wearing his old wig. I like to think he moved to Ponyville on Spike’s suggestion.

A Friend in Deed: Has to occur in early springtime since Pinkie says her birthday is in 75 days, and in Party of One Spike says it's spring. Takes place after Read It and Weep since Rainbow is reading a Daring Do book.

Hearts and Hooves Day: Takes place on Hearts and Hooves Day, which is based on Valentine’s Day, so I’m placing it on the 14th of February.

May the Best Pet Win!: Tank is introduced in this episode. Takes place after Winter Wrap Up since Rainbow has never spent a winter with Tank prior to Tanks for the Memories.

The Best Night Ever: We know that it takes place on the 21st of an unspecified month. I think March sounds about right.

The Return of Harmony: Has to take place sometime in the spring since Applejack has a flashback to Fall Weather Friends when Twilight restores her memories.

Putting Your Hoof Down: I’m placing it after The Return of Harmony since Fluttershy refers to herself as weak and helpless in that episode, indicating it takes place before she starts taking steps towards becoming more assertive.

MMMystery on the Friendship Express: Donut Joe says long time no see to Twilight in The Best Night Ever, and since he reappears in this episode it means it takes place after that one.

Party of One: Pinkie’s birthday. Takes place 75 days after A Friend in Deed, placing it in late April in my timeline.

It’s About Time: Takes place shortly after Arbor Day at the end of April.

Hurricane Fluttershy: Takes place after The Best Night Ever, since Spitfire hadn’t seen Rainbow since the Best Young Flyer Competition in that episode.

Too Many Pinkie Pies: Takes place after Party of One since Harry the bear’s house was mentioned in that episode and the joke doesn’t really work if we’ve seen his house already. Possibly before A Canterlot Wedding since Pinkie tells a changeling that she’s “seen better”. I want to place a couple of season three episodes between It's About Time and A Canterlot Wedding to increase the amount of time that passes between Twilight's visits to Canterlot. Since Shining Armour hasn't had time to tell Twilight he's getting married due to the increase in security, Twilight probably would have noticed something was up during It's About Time if these two episodes were too close together.

Sleepless in Ponyville: Rainbow Dash officially takes Scootaloo under her wing.

Wonderbolts Academy: It’s hard to tell how long Rainbow stays at Wonderbolts Academy, although Spitfire calls the same set of exercises trial week during Top Bolt, so a week seems likely. In any case, there’s probably nothing demanding Rainbow be absent in future episodes.

Apple Family Reunion: Has to take place a while after One Bad Apple since Babs Seed goes to a different school now.

A Canterlot Wedding: The last remaining season two episode, so I’ll place it here.

The Crystal Empire: Occurs after A Canterlot Wedding since Cadence and Shining Armour appear in this episode. The Crystal Empire is introduced.

Magic Duel: I want at least one Twilight episode between The Crystal Empire and Magical Mystery Cure to make her arc progress more smoothly.

Just for Sidekicks: Occurs simultaneously with Games Ponies Play. The elements of harmony are moved to Golden Oaks Library in Keep Calm and Flutter On, but they are nowhere to be seen in this episode. It is possible they were just off-screen, but I’ll just place these episodes before that one.

Games Ponies Play: Occurs simultaneously with Just for Sidekicks. Introduces the Equestria Games arc.

Keep Calm and Flutter On: The last remaining season three episode other than Magical Mystery Cure.

Magical Mystery Cure: Twilight becomes an alicorn, so pretty much all remaining episodes have to take place after this one.

Equestria Girls: Twilight is still getting used to her wings so it takes place not long after Magical Mystery Cure. In Equestria, it should be mid-June at this point but in the human world, the fall formal is about to take place, which seems like something that would be held at the start of the school year, likely placing it in August/September. That means the human world is 2-3 months ahead of Equestria, assuming the years are the same length, which they probably aren't. I really have no idea how time in the human world works, but under the Equestria Girls entries I will be listing the approximate times of year of both worlds, with the assumption that the human world is a bit over two months ahead of Equestria. So, for the first movie, this would be: Equestria time: mid June; human time: late August.

Equestria Girls is followed by Princess Twilight Sparkle, which marks the one-year anniversary of Twilight moving to Ponyville. I don’t believe there is any season-mixing necessary for season four, so I am going to rearrange the episodes within the boundary of their own season. My timeline is as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

Princess Twilight Sparkle: This episode is the obvious starting point, being the premiere. It takes place during the Summer Sun Celebration on the longest day of the year (21st of June).

Castle Mane-ia: Twilight is trying to find information about the chest from the tree of harmony, so this episode probably takes place right after the premiere. This episode also introduces the friendship journal, making it one of the first episodes of the season.

Daring Don’t: Fluttershy is teaching baby birds how to fly, so I think June/July would be a good time for this episode to take place.

Leap of Faith: According to the bookmarks in the friendship journal, the order in which the mane six received their keys is Applejack – Fluttershy – Rarity – Rainbow Dash – Pinkie Pie, making this the first of the key episodes. Additionally, Granny Smith is afraid of water prior to this episode, placing it before Pinkie Apple Pie in which she doesn’t have any objections to making a raft.

Power Ponies: The mane six are renovating the Castle of the Two Sisters, so it takes place after Castle Mane-ia.

Three’s a Crowd: Fluttershy goes on a trip to see the breezies, placing this episode shortly before It Ain’t Easy Being Breezies.

It Ain’t Easy Being Breezies: The second key episode. Occurs shortly after Three’s a Crowd since the breezies are now migrating through Ponyville.

For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils: Cheerilee is helping out at Sweetie Belle’s play, but to me it seems more like an extracurricular activity that doesn’t necessarily have to occur during the school year, since Sweetie Belle was the one who directed the play and the CMC were the only actors in it. Cheerilee was probably just helping to arrange it.

Inspiration Manifestation: No particular requirements. The Foal and Filly Fair is held in this episode, and summertime seems like a good time for that.

Rarity Takes Manehattan: The third key episode. No particular requirements.

Twilight Time: The schoolponies are hanging out at the playground, but there’s no sign of Cheerilee, so this episode can take place during the summer holidays. Diamond Tiara asks Sweetie Belle if her sister is going to take her to Manehattan anytime soon, meaning it might take place after Rarity Takes Manehattan and Diamond Tiara heard about her going to the city. Otherwise it seems like a slightly random thing to ask.

Pinkie Apple Pie: Granny Smith isn’t afraid of water, so this episode comes after Leap of Faith. Applejack hasn’t met Goldie Delicious before, so this episode takes place before Filli Vanilli in which she visits the Ponyville pet centre fundraiser. At the end of the episode, the Apples are arguing about who should write the journal entry, so it probably comes after Twilight Time which seemed like the first time a non-mane seven member was allowed to make an entry.

Trade Ya!: Twilight seems slightly annoyed at a filly who wanted her autograph, so it probably comes after Twilight Time in which she was surprised the foals wanted her autograph. There isn’t any dialogue in this episode nor in Rainbow Falls that would suggest either one has to come before the other. I’m mostly just trying to distribute the key episodes somewhat evenly.

Bats!: Occurs at the start of applebuck season, so sometime around late July/early August.

Rainbow Falls: The fourth key episode. Continues the Equestria Games arc. Probably takes place before Testing Testing 1, 2, 3 since Rainbow probably wouldn’t be so conflicted over flying with the Wonderbolts or not if she already was a reserve.

Flight to the Finish: The school year has started. Continues the Equestria Games arc.

Simple Ways: This episode takes place on Ponyville Day, celebrating the foundation of Ponyville. I’m guessing it takes place on the same date as the day the Smith family settled near the Everfree Forest, so sometime before Zap Apple season.

Filli Vanilli: At the end of the episode, Rarity says the Ponytones have been booked for the Apple Family Zap Apple Jam Extraordinaire, placing this episode sometime before Zap Apple season at the end of August.

Pinkie Pride: The final key episode. Takes place on Rainbow’s birth-iversary. Should probably occur before Maud Pie, since the introduction of a fourth Pie sister would be kind of awkward without the foreshadowing on Pinkie’s photo.

Somepony to Watch Over Me: Likely takes place during applebuck season since Apple Bloom is attempting to harvest apples.

Maud Pie: Takes place right before Maud leaves to study rock science. The classes at my university usually start towards the end of August, so that’s the timeframe I’ll use. Maud encounters Starlight Glimmer sometime between this episode and The Cutie Map, which is not a huge timespan, but my thinking is that getting a rocktorate is mostly based on field studies so Maud would start travelling Equestria almost immediately. In The Gift of the Maud Pie, Pinkie says Maud is taking her studies near Manehattan, which is very close to Starlight's village on the map of Equestria, so the area around Starlight's village could very well be the first place Maud visited as part of her studies. Additionally, in Rock Solid Friendship it seemed like Starlight had already stolen the villagers’ cutie marks some time ago since their hairstyles were all the same and they were building the houses in the shape of an equal sign, so I’m guessing the village was expanding and Starlight wasn’t able to keep such a large amount of cutie marks bottled up for long, which led her to look for a more efficient means of storing them.

Equestria Games: Concludes the Equestria Games arc. I don’t want to place it right before Twilight’s Kingdom, since it seems a bit silly that they leave the Crystal Empire only to go back there in the very next episode in the original airing order. There is an inconsistency regarding the Equestria Girls film, since Twilight says the last time Spike was in the Crystal Empire was the season three premiere. This is either a plothole, Equestria Girls being confirmed as non-canon, or Twilight simply forgetting she went to the Crystal Empire during Equestria Girls since the human world was kind of a big deal, making her overlook minor details such as where the mirror was located. Choose whichever one is to your liking.

Testing Testing 1, 2, 3: No particular requirements, but probably comes after Rainbow Falls.

Twilight’s Kingdom: The Golden Oaks Library is destroyed and Twilight receives her own castle, which is featured pretty prominently in future seasons, so it seems like an unnecessary hassle to place any future episodes earlier than this.

Rainbow Rocks: Twilight’s castle appears, and the cutie map is foreshadowed in the second Equestria Girls film, placing it between the season four finale and season five premiere. Equestria time: late August; human time: early November (I really have no idea how the human world works, probably best not to think about it too much.)

And that concludes season four. I’m not getting any other seasons mixed up in season five either, I’m just rearranging the episodes as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

The Cutie Map: This marks the first appearance of the cutie map, meaning any episode it appears in comes after this. Making the premiere come first in the season five chronology seems like the simplest course of action.

Castle Sweet Castle: Twilight still doesn’t feel at home in the castle, making this early on in season five. This episode also introduces the chandelier.

Made in Manehattan: I placed Sisterhooves Social in early September, so that’s where this episode goes as well. There is nothing in this episode or The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone that suggests either episode comes before the other. However, as mentioned under the Sisterhooves Social entry, there is a bit of a plothole here, what with the Midsummer Theatre Revival, but I really don’t see how I could possibly fit the social anywhere near Midsummer, so I’ll keep it in this slot. This episode occurs simultaneously with Brotherhooves Social.

Brotherhooves Social: Occurs simultaneously with Made in Manehattan.

Bloom & Gloom: To me, it seems like Luna foreshadows the Tantabus with her line “Sometimes we can worry about a thing so much, the fear can make us feel we're trapped in a nightmare”, so this seems like a good place for this episode.

Slice of Life: Has to come before Crusaders of the Lost Mark, since the CMC appear without their cutie marks. I’m placing it before Appleoosa’s Most Wanted since I want to space out the CMC episodes a little.

Appleoosa’s Most Wanted: Has to come before Crusaders of the Lost Mark, since the CMC don't have their cutie marks.

Party Pooped: Has to take place before Crusaders of the Lost Mark, since the CMC appear without their cutie marks.

Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?: Has to take place before Crusaders of the Lost Mark, since the CMC appear without their cutie marks.

Crusaders of the Lost Mark: The CMC get their cutie marks, so it has to take place after any episodes where their blank flanks are visible. Make New Friends But Keep Discord can be placed in the upcoming spring since the CMC were wearing dresses the entire episode (thankfully – otherwise my whole chronology would've fallen apart. Rewatching that episode with this knowledge in mind was a pretty nerve-wracking experience, I'll tell you!)

Scare Master: Takes place one year after Luna Eclipsed, on the 31st of October.

Tanks for the Memories: Takes place one year after Fall Weather Friends and less than a year after May the Best Pet Win!

Hearthbreakers: Takes place one year after Hearth’s Warming Eve, on the 24th/25th of December.

The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone: There is nothing preventing it from taking place after Made in Manehattan, so I’m placing it here.

Princess Spike: In Made in Manehattan and The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone, Twilight seems dejected about not being summoned by the map, so I believe she organised the summit in this episode in order to try to contribute towards spreading friendship. I’m placing it before The One Where Pinkie Pie knows since I want that to be Cadence’s last appearance before Flurry Heart is born. She is very skinny and, realistically, she should start showing eventually and my suspension of disbelief can only handle so much.

Canterlot Boutique: I don’t want to place this episode right before Rarity Investigates!, since Rarity introduces a new line in that episode, which would probably take a while to create.

The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows: This marks Cadence’s last appearance before The Crystalling. I’m placing this episode in mid-February and The Crystalling in late June, so it is kind of possible she still wouldn’t be showing, right? The CMC have their cutie marks so it comes after Crusaders of the Lost Mark.

Amending Fences: I'm imagining Starlight Glimmer spends some time coming up with a revenge plan after the events of The Cutie Map, and begins stalking Twilight towards the end of the season, waiting for the right time to strike, so I'm going to place the episodes with her background appearances (this one and What About Discord?) close to the finale.

Make New Friends But Keep Discord: Takes place one year after The Best Night Ever. The Grand Galloping Gala takes place on the 21st of March in my timeline, and it’s about time for that now.

Rarity Investigates!: Rarity introduces a new line to the Canterlot Carousel, so this episode takes place a while after Canterlot Boutique. Rainbow Dash says it's springtime, so this seems like a good time for this episode.

The Hooffields and McColts: Twilight says they've all been called by the map now, making this the last map episode of season five.

What About Discord?: The Smooze makes a cameo so this episode probably comes after Make New Friends But Keep Discord.

The Mane Attraction: Has to take place after Crusaders of the Lost Mark, since the CMC have their cutie marks. Its original airdate was right before the finale, and that seems like a good place for it.

The Cutie Re-Mark: The last episode of season five. Starlight becomes Twilight’s pupil. Occurs simultaneously with Friendship Games.

Friendship Games: Occurs simultaneously with The Cutie Re-Mark. Equestria time: late May/early June; human time: early to mid August.

For seasons six and seven and the Equestria Girls specials, there will be some mixing, so I’m going to list them together:

Reveal hidden contents

On Your Marks: This marks the first post-mark CMC meeting, so I want to place it as early as possible. Ideally it would come even earlier than this, but I prefer not to mix seasons with major changes to the theme song (alicorn Twilight, Twilight’s Castle and Starlight) so I’ll place this episode here and headcanon that the CMC decided to focus more on school for the spring term, explaining why this episode didn’t occur sooner. It may well take place before The Crystalling since Twilight suggests tagging along with the CMC to solve a cutie mark problem as one of Starlight's potential first lessons, and this is the episode in which they definitively figure out their purpose in life.

Legend of Everfree: It’s stated that about a year has passed since the events of Equestria Girls, so I’m placing this film in mid to late June (in Equestria time). I’m guessing the trip to Camp Everfree takes place right after the current year’s Fall Formal. Feels a bit weird to place two feature films this close together, but the way Sci-Twi and the others act does make it seem like this film takes place not long after the previous one. Equestria time: late June; human time: early September.

The Crystalling: This episode takes place not too long after The Cutie Re-Mark since Starlight is still getting used to staying at the castle and is just about to have her first friendship lesson. I’m placing it towards the end of June.

The Gift of the Maud Pie: I'm going to place this episode sometime in July in order to distribute them more evenly. I imagine Maud would be taking some sort of summer courses, given how passionate she is about the subject she studies. At this point, Maud has studied rock science for one year and will soon begin her second, leading to her obtaining her rocktorate in the upcoming spring. This probably takes place before Gauntlet of Fire since Rarity makes a joke about creating a rock-based fashion line named after Maud at the end of that episode.

Gauntlet of Fire: The princesses say they rarely get a chance to visit Twilight, so it probably takes place before No Second Prances, what with the dinner with Celestia.

No Second Prances: Has to come before Every Little Thing She Does since Starlight befriending Trixie is brought up in that episode.

Newbie Dash: Rainbow Dash becomes a Wonderbolt, so any episode mentioning that must come after this one.

The Cart Before the Ponies: This episode takes place during schooltime. I’m placing it in mid-August.

Dance Magic: Sugarcoat says it's only been a few months since the Friendship Games, which I placed in late May/early June, so mid-August seems like a good place for this special. Equestria time: mid-August; human time: late October.

Buckball Season: It seems a bit strange Applejack and Rainbow Dash wouldn’t ask Twilight or Starlight to compete on their team (Rarity probably isn’t too interested in sports), which is why I’m placing this episode right before Spice Up Your Life since my headcanon is that Twilight and Starlight were busy working on the spell to fix the cutie map which is why they couldn’t join the buckball team.

Spice Up Your Life: Has to take place a fair while after The Hooffields and McColts, since Twilight comments on how it’s been quite some time since they were called by the map.

Every Little Thing She Does: This episode seems like a decent followup to the previous one, since it’s focused on how Starlight has been making progress on her magic but not her friendship lessons. Twilight says Starlight hasn’t learned any friendship lessons since No Second Prances, which is why I’m placing it before A Hearth’s Warming Tail and The Times They Are A Changeling, since she kind of learned friendship lessons in those.

The Fault in Our Cutie Marks: Takes place before P.P.O.V. since the boat featured in that episode is the same as the one built by Gabby in this episode.

A Flurry of Emotions: In The Times They Are A Changeling, Twilight says she hopes Cadence and Shining Armour don't think it's too soon for another visit. It is of course possible she has visited them off-screen, but I still don't want too many episodes to pass between Twilight seeing them. Additionally, school picture day, in my experience, usually takes place quite early on in the school year.

P.P.O.V.: Applejack is seen bucking apples in this episode, so it probably takes place during applebuck season. Comes after The Fault in Our Cutie Marks, since the boat in this episode is the same as the one that Gabby built.

Movie Magic: Has to take place a while before Mirror Magic, since the film that's being produced in this episode premieres in that one, and there's usually a pretty long gap between production and release. Equestria time: late September; human time: early December. (The entire special takes place inside a film studio, so it can occur at any time of year.)

Campfire Tales: Apple Bloom refers to the Big-Sister-Little-Sister Camping Trip as annual, and this trip could be interpreted as either the first trip since Sleepless in Ponyville or one of several they have been on since. Apple Bloom makes it sound like the latter with her line “But the more we do it, the better we get at camping” which would be a strange thing to say if this was merely the second time. Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo on the other hand seem to imply this is their first camping trip since Sleepless in Ponyville what with Rainbow saying “You've got a big sister this time”. I choose to believe this is the first Big-Sister-Little-Sister Camping Trip since season three, placing it approximately a year and a half after Sleepless in Ponyville (I don't believe there's any indication it has to take place at the same time of year). Apple Bloom's line can still be reasonably explained if you assume that the Apple siblings, and possibly Rarity and Sweetie Belle, have gone camping since Sleepless in Ponyville, but this is the first time all three sister pairs have gone together since then.

Applejack's “Day” Off: Rainbow Dash mentions Wonderbolts practice, so it comes after Newbie Dash. Applejack says the rest of the Apple family is taking the harvest to the market, so I'm placing it at the same time of year as the summer harvest parade in One Bad Apple.

Where the Apple Lies: Takes place during cider season, so I'm placing this episode in mid to late October.

28 Pranks Later: No particular requirements, but seems thematically fitting to place near Nightmare Night.

The Saddle Row Review: Rarity states it is the last day of the fall season. As I've previously stated, Autumn seems very short in Equestria, and all the trees are still green anyway, so I'm not really sure where to place this episode. The end of October or start of November seems like a decent spot.

A Hearth's Warming Tail: Takes place on Hearth's Warming Eve, one year after Hearthbreakers.

Forever Filly: Takes place during the winter-spring transition, so it's likely the first episode of this spring. I imagine that Rarity was away over the winter working on new lines for her boutiques in Canterlot and Manehattan, and only briefly came back to Ponyville to celebrate Hearth's Warming Eve, which would explain why she misses Sweetie Belle so much in this episode.

The Times They Are A Changeling: I'm placing this episode before Mirror Magic since Starlight saying "Friendship lessons can happen anywhere" would seem like a redundant observation after spending time in the human world.

Mirror Magic: Probably takes place a couple of months after Movie Magic. Has to come before Forgotten Friendship since Sunset uses her new journal in that episode. Starlight says Twilight and her friends were called away to solve a friendship problem, but I don't know what episode that could be referring to, so the mission most likely happens off screen. Equestria time: mid-February; human time: late April.

Dungeons & Discords: Since Starlight is absent in this episode, despite living in the castle, I'm placing it right after Mirror Magic since she ends up staying in the human world for a few days.

Forgotten Friendship: Wallflower Blush says she's been on the yearbook committee all year, so this special probably takes place towards the end of the school year. Has to come before My Little Pony: The Movie and season 8, since the Canterlot throne room uses its old design. Equestria time: late March; human time: late May.

Viva Las Pegasus: No particular requirements, I'm placing a couple of episodes between Forgotten Friendship and Rollercoaster of Friendship to avoid having back-to-back Equestria Girls specials.

Stranger Than Fan Fiction: I believe spring is a pretty popular time of year for conventions. Probably takes place a while after The Fault in Our Cutie Marks, since Twilight is going to a friendship summit in Griffonstone, and according to Gabby, the griffons still seemed pretty hostile in that episode.

Rollercoaster of Friendship: Rarity and Applejack have applied for summer jobs, so it probably takes place at the start of the summer holidays. Comes before Spring Breakdown since Equestria Land (referred to as "Equestria World") is mentioned in that special. Equestria time: early April; human time: mid-June.

Top Bolt: Takes place two years after Wonderbolts Academy. Sometime in late May, I would say.

Parental Glideance: Takes place during the school year since Scootaloo is preparing for a presentation. This marks Thunderlane's first appearance as a Wonderbolt, so it should probably come before Marks and Recreation to serve as some nice foreshadowing. Since that episode takes place at a summer camp, that would place this one in the spring term. Has to come after Top Bolt since Sky Stinger and Vapour Trail appear, wearing academy uniforms.

Flutter Brutter: Since Zephyr Breeze graduates at the end of this episode, I'm placing this episode in late spring. I want to place the three graduation episodes (this one, Celestial Advice and Rock Solid Friendship) close together, to get a bit of a theme going.

To Where and Back Again: The last remaining season six episode.

Celestial Advice: Seems to take place a few days after the season six finale. Starlight graduates in this episode, and although it's not an official graduation from a school, it seems thematically suitable to place it in late spring.

All Bottled Up: Twilight says Starlight has barely graduated, placing this episode shortly after Celestial Advice.

Rock Solid Friendship: Takes place shortly after Maud's graduation, so sometime in late June seems good.

Honest Apple: Comes before Fame and Misfortune since Applejack sings “there's such thing as being too honest too” in the Flawless song.

Fluttershy Leans In: Introduces Sweet Feather Sanctuary. This episode serves to show how far Fluttershy has come, so to me it seems fitting to place it before Fame and Misfortune in which she is able to defend herself about learning the same lesson over and over. It would be a bit redundant to place this episode any later in the series.

Fame and Misfortune: Chip Cutter has his cutie mark, so it comes after Forever Filly. The CMC get the idea for a cutie mark summer camp, which is later seen in Marks and Recreation, so this probably takes place in early summer.

Hard to Say Anything: Probably comes after Celestial Advice, since I imagine Big Mac and Sugar Belle met when the Our Town ponies visited Ponyville for Starlight's ceremony. Has to come before It Isn't the Mane Thing About You since Big Mac and Sugar Belle appear together in that episode.

A Royal Problem: Twilight says it's the first time the map has called just one of them, so it comes before Triple Threat. Should probably come before The Perfect Pear since Applejack's parents are foreshadowed in a dream bubble.

Marks and Recreation: Has to take place after Fame and Misfortune, since that's where the CMC first mentioned the idea of a cutie mark summer camp (even though they act as if they come up with the idea in this episode, so I don't know if Fame and Misfortune is supposed to be non-canon or what).

The Perfect Pear: Has to come before It Isn't the Mane Thing About You, since Granny Smith and Grand Pear are selling produce together and Apple Bloom is talking to Burnt Oak in that episode.

Not Asking for Trouble: Applejack mentions “this season's batch” of apples and is seen receiving help with the harvest from Fluttershy, so applebuck season has probably begun, placing this episode in early August, or so. In my chronology, the majority of It Isn't the Mane Thing About You takes place shortly after this episode, but I will list it according to the closing scene. Get ready for two months without Rarity.

Triple Threat: Has to come before To Change a Changeling, since Thorax mentions the group of renegade changelings who, aside from Pharynx, have all transformed by the time that episode comes along. Probably comes after Not Asking for Trouble, since I imagine Pinkie is the one who made Twilight realise that she can make her friends ambassadors if she so desires, explaining Spike's new title in this episode.

Daring Done?: Should be at the same time of year as Road to Friendship since the glowpaz festival is taking place in that episode. The event in this episode is never referred to by name but I assume it's the same festival. Road to Friendship can be placed in August at the earliest, so I'm placing this episode here. Rarity doesn't appear so it can take place during the time skip in It Isn't the Mane Thing About You.

Discordant Harmony: No particular requirements. Since Rarity doesn't appear in this episode, I'll place it during the timeskip in It Isn't the Mane Thing About You.

Once Upon a Zeppelin: I'll place this episode before A Health of Information, since Twilight placing other ponies' well-being before her own is a problem of a similar nature to Fluttershy's in the aforementioned episode. Twilight telling Fluttershy to take care of her own needs kind of seems like she's passing along the lesson she learned in this episode.

Secrets and Pies: When listing the most recent pies she has made for Rainbow, Pinkie mentions a pie she made for her birthday, meaning this episode takes place shortly after Rainbow's birth-iversary, which I placed in mid-to-late august. Rainbow has been a Wonderbolt for approximately a year and a month at this point, which seems like a fitting timespan for 74 training sessions to take place in. Rarity doesn't appear in this episode, so it can be placed during the timeskip in It Isn't the Mane Thing About You.

To Change a Changeling: Has to take place after Triple Threat, since Starlight mentions Ember helping Thorax be more assertive.

A Health of Information: Takes place after Fluttershy Leans In, since Sweet Feather Sanctuary is mentioned.

It Isn't the Mane Thing About You: This episode is kind of a continuity nightmare. The Cake twins would have to be turning three years old by now, so they had their first sneezes when they were two? Flurry Heart sneezed in her debut episode, for crying out loud. There is absolutely no way only a year has passed since Baby Cakes if that's what this episode is implying – please age them up already! The timeskip at the end means Rarity won't be able to appear for the duration of these months, the main body of the episode taking place in early August and the epilogue in mid-October, making the timeskip a bit over two months.

Uncommon Bond: Probably comes right before the finale, since Starswirl's journal was foreshadowed at the end of this episode. Sunburst probably discovers the journal shortly after the episode ends, since it was on top of the pile of antiques.

Shadow Play: The Canterlot throne room uses its old design, so this episode comes before The Movie and season 8, in which the new design is used.

My Little Pony: The Movie: Takes place between season 7 and 8 since the events of the movie are referenced in School Daze.

Spring Breakdown: Takes place in between the movie and season 8 since the Storm King is mentioned but the school of friendship doesn't seem to have been built yet. We never get a clear view of the area where the school is located, but I'd say its towers should have been visible if construction was finished. This would place this special somewhere in the time skip in School Daze during which the school is built. I imagine it's late January shortly after winter wrap-up in Equestria, placing the human world in early April, which seems like a fitting time for spring break.

Season 8 doesn't require any mixing as of yet, so I'm just rearranging the episodes as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

School Daze: The cold open takes place shortly after the movie since that's when the characters first notice the cutie map has expanded. I'm placing the main body of the episode in early February. Since this is the last episode in which the old intro is used, all remaining episodes should come after this one.

The Maud Couple: Maud's birthday. Introduces Mud Briar, so I'm placing it before The Break Up Break Down where he makes a cameo.

The Break Up Break Down: Takes place on Hearts and Hooves Day on the 14th of February. Should come after The Maud Couple since Maud and Mud Briar appear.

Grannies Gone Wild: Takes place during the school year since Applejack is covering Rainbow's classes.

The Parent Map: No particular requirements. I'm placing it here to distribute the episodes more evenly across the year.

The Mean 6: Starlight's first time camping, so it has to come a while before Road to Friendship where she has a collection of campfire spices. Spike doesn't appear so it can take place before Molt Down.

Fake It 'Til You Make It: Fluttershy says she's never tried to act before, so this episode comes before Horse Play in which she ends up playing the leading role. Twilight is writing a curriculum, meaning it might take place right before a school term, so I'm placing it in July.

Surf and/or Turf: Probably takes place a while after the movie since they've had time to build a railroad to Mount Aris. Since Twilight is getting a field trip permission slip signed, I'm placing it shortly before Non-Compete Clause which is the first time the students go on a field trip.

Non-Compete Clause: This is where I'll have to jump through some hoops, since Fluttershy has been teacher of the month nine times. Assuming the school has been running since February, that would place this episode at the start of November at the earliest, which means it'd have to be autumn (which it isn't). Additionally, Spike doesn't have his wings yet, so I'd have to fit Molt Down and Marks for Efforts in which he's still getting used to his wings between this episode and The Hearth's Warming Club where he has his wings and that just doesn't seem feasible, so I had to come up with some convoluted headcanons to explain my placing it earlier in the year. I have decided to imagine that initially the students got to vote for their favourite teacher each week, before Twilight decided that was too frequent, changing it to a monthly vote in March, and since the school of friendship is more leisurely, I made the summer holidays take place over six weeks in June and July, so that a teacher of the month poll would be held in the first week of June and the last week of July. So that places polls 1-4 in February and 5-9 once a month, the most recent one being in July, placing this episode in early August.

Horse Play: Has to come after Fake It 'Til You Make It, since Fluttershy said she hadn't tried acting before in that episode. Starlight mentions having met Princess Celestia at galas, by which I assume she means the Grand Galloping Gala, so at least two Galas must have been held since Starlight's redemption. According to my chronology, this year's Gala would have been the second one Starlight could have attended, so that adds up.

Molt Down: Spike gets his wings, which provides a clear indicator of when episodes can be placed.

Marks for Effort: Spike is still getting used to having wings, so it most likely comes right after Molt Down. Applejack says Apple Bloom is supposed to be on harvest duty, so it probably takes place during applebuck season. Cozy Glow says she just moved there to go to school, so it would make sense if it's at the start of a new term.

Road to Friendship: Starlight has students queuing up for counselling, so it should come after Marks for Effort where she was frustrated about not having much to do. Starlight has a collection of campfire spices, so it must come after The Mean 6 which was the first time she went camping. The glowpaz festival is taking place, so it should be at the same time of year as Daring Done?.

A Matter of Principals: Cozy Glow starts taking notes as soon as she learns of the magical artefacts, so I'm guessing this is when she starts working on her plan to take over the school, placing this episode before the ones where she's helping Twilight, trying to gain her trust. Discord mentions not being invited to the baccelaureate, by which I assume he means Marks for Effort, since the CMC are the only ones who have "graduated" from the school of friendship at this point.

Friendship University: Cozy Glow is helping Twilight, so it comes after A Matter of Principals. I'm placing it a while before A Rockhoof and a Hard Place to distribute the pillar episodes more evenly.

Yakity-Sax: The events of Horse Play are mentioned so it has to come after that. The Apple family is harvesting apples, so it might take place during applebuck season. Applejack says Pinkie has been playing the yovidaphone for moons, although that to me seems hyperbolic, equivalent to our 'taking ages'. There should still be a time skip, perhaps of a couple weeks or so.

Father Knows Beast: Spike is learning to fly, so it takes place not too long after Molt Down. Applejack and Big Mac are using the cider press so it probably takes place during cider season in mid to late October.

The Hearth's Warming Club: Takes place on Hearth's Warming Eve, two years after A Hearth's Warming Tail.

The End in Friend: Rainbow says Rarity is "working on her winter collection and it's not even summer yet", placing this episode in the spring. The artefacts from the spellvenger hunt appear, so it should come after A Matter of Principals.

A Rockhoof and a Hard Place: Meadowbrook says Starswirl is still learning about friendship, so it should come after Friendship University where that plot point was introduced. Should probably take place a while after Shadow Play since Stygian has had time to write three novels.

The Washouts: Should come after Non-Compete Clause, since Rainbow Dash putting the students in danger to break a record would be really out of character after this episode.

What Lies Beneath: Cozy Glow is helping Twilight so it comes after A Matter of Principals.

Sounds of Silence: Rockhoof has told Twilight about the Peaks of Peril, so it probably comes after A Rockhoof and a Hard Place.

School Raze: The last remaining season 8 episode. Gallus says finals are coming up, probably placing it fairly late in the spring term. Twilight says the school has been running for one semester, but that doesn't add up since this season spans several months as seen in Non-Compete Clause and seems to cover almost all times of year, such as Hearts and Hooves Day, cider season and Hearth's Warming Eve and Spike's wings make it impossible to shuffle the episodes around in a way that would make it work, so I choose to believe the school of friendship uses different terminology where semester refers to a whole school year (even though semester comes from the Latin word for six months, but shhh!)

...And here's the super short WIP of season 9, why not:

Reveal hidden contents

The Beginning of the End: Starlight says the school is closed for the summer.

The Best Gift Ever: The Young Six are shown getting on a train at the start of this special, so it takes place at least one year after The Hearth's Warming Club in which they ended up staying in Ponyville for the holidays.

Kudos to you if you read all that! Feel free to ask if you want me to clarify things further. Feedback would be much appreciated!

AWESOME and FANTASTIC work! I couldn't have done a better job if I'd tried!

I have two suggestions though:

1)It would be amazing if you could categorise these chronological episodes "Years" such as "Year 1 summer -->fall --> winter -->spring -->end of year 1" and so on.....(You can  check out tthi link https://www.deviantart.com/auren-dawnstar/art/MLP-Chronological-Timeline-636546794)

2) I have also made a chronological order of the IDW comics and chapter books, keeping the season premieres and finales as fixed reference points.

If I share my work with you, could you maybe include the events of the comics into your chronology?

That would make your work literally the most exhaustive and extensive MLP chronology in existence!

Please do consider the idea!

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the radio silence. Unfortunately, I kinda hated the finale due to the points brought up in this video (along with pettier reasons like my OTP being sunk in favour of my NOTP >_>). As you can probably tell by my convoluted attempts to explain plotholes, I'm not the kind of person who can ignore the parts of canon they dislike and as a result I've pretty much lost all interest in MLP. Figured I should inform you so nobody's checking back for an update that's never going to come.

However, I'm grateful for everyone's feedback and the fact that people seem to have been interested in my thread (12k views, whaaat?! o_O) – at least writing this wasn't a complete waste of time.

Sorry I couldn't see this project through to its conclusion. If anyone wants to make their own timeline you're more than welcome to use the info I've gathered.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2017 at 2:46 AM, Starshine Sprinkles said:

UPDATE: Unfortunately, I am no longer a fan of MLP and will not be completing this project.

TL;DR version:

Reveal hidden contents

Colour-coded by season with noteworthy recurring events in parentheses.

Year 1:

• Friendship is Magic (Summer Sun Celebration)
  • Griffon the Brush Off
  • Boast Busters
  • Dragonshy
  • Look Before You Sleep
  • Bridle Gossip
  • Feeling Pinkie Keen
  • Over a Barrel
  • Applebuck Season (applebuck season)
  • Call of the Cutie
  • The Ticket Master
  • Stare Master
  • Spike at Your Service
  • Suited for Success
  • Swarm of the Century
  • The Show Stoppers
  • Green isn't Your Colour
  • Sonic Rainboom
  • A Bird in the Hoof
  • Family Appreciation Day (zap apple season)
  • Lesson Zero
  • A Dog and Pony Show
  • Sisterhooves Social (Sisterhooves Social)
  • The Cutie Mark Chronicles
  • Owl's Well That Ends Well
  • The Cutie Pox
  • Baby Cakes (Cake twins' month-i-versary)
  • Ponyville Confidential
  • The Last Roundup
  • The Mysterious Mare Do Well
  • Secret of My Excess (Spike's birthday)
  • One Bad Apple
  • The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 (cider season)
  • Luna Eclipsed (Nightmare Night)
  • Fall Weather Friends (Running of the Leaves)
  • Hearth's Warming Eve (Hearth's Warming Eve)
  • Winter Wrap Up (Winter Wrap Up)
  • Read It and Weep
  • Sweet and Elite (Twilight's birthday)
  • Dragon Quest
  • A Friend in Deed
  • Hearts and Hooves Day (Hearts and Hooves Day)
  • May the Best Pet Win!
  • The Best Night Ever (Grand Galloping Gala)
  • The Return of Harmony
  • Putting Your Hoof Down
  • MMMystery on the Friendship Express
  • Party of One (Pinkie's birthday)
  • It's About Time
  • Hurricane Fluttershy
  • Too Many Pinkie Pies
  • Sleepless in Ponyville
  • Wonderbolts Academy (trial week)
  • Apple Family Reunion
  • A Canterlot Wedding
  • The Crystal Empire
  • Magic Duel
  • Just for Sidekicks
  • Games Ponies Play
  • Keep Calm and Flutter On
  • Magical Mystery Cure
  • Equestria Girls (fall formal in the human world)

Year 2:

• Princess Twilight Sparkle (Summer Sun Celebration)
  • Castle Mane-ia
  • Daring Don't
  • Leap of Faith
  • Power Ponies
  • Three's a Crowd
  • It Ain't Easy Being Breezies
  • For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils
  • Inspiration Manifestation
  • Rarity Takes Manehattan
  • Twilight Time
  • Pinkie Apple Pie
  • Trade Ya!
  • Bats! (applebuck season)
  • Rainbow Falls
  • Flight to the Finish
  • Simple Ways (Ponyville Day)
  • Filli Vanilli (shortly before zap apple season)
  • Pinkie Pride (Rainbow's birthday)
  • Somepony to Watch Over Me
  • Maud Pie
  • Equestria Games
  • Testing Testing 1, 2, 3
  • Twilight's Kingdom
  • Rainbow Rocks
  • The Cutie Map
  • Castle Sweet Castle
  • Made in Manehattan
  • Brotherhooves Social (Sisterhooves Social)
  • Bloom & Gloom
  • Slice of Life
  • Appleoosa's Most Wanted
  • Party Pooped
  • Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?
  • Crusaders of the Lost Mark
  • Scare Master (Nightmare Night)
  • Tanks for the Memories (Running of the Leaves)
  • Hearthbreakers (Hearth's Warming Eve)
  • The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone
  • Princess Spike
  • Canterlot Boutique
  • The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows
  • Amending Fences
  • Make New Friends But Keep Discord (Grand Galloping Gala)
  • Rarity Investigates!
  • The Hooffields and McColts
  • What About Discord?
  • The Mane Attraction
  • The Cutie Re-Mark
  • Friendship Games
  • On Your Marks

Year 3 (approx.):

• Legend of Everfree
  • The Crystalling (Flurry Heart's birthday)
  • The Gift of the Maud Pie
  • Gauntlet of Fire
  • No Second Prances
  • Newbie Dash
  • The Cart Before the Ponies
  • Dance Magic
  • Buckball Season
  • Spice Up Your Life
  • Every Little Thing She Does
  • The Fault in Our Cutie Marks
  • A Flurry of Emotions
  • P.P.O.V.
  • Movie Magic
  • Campfire Tales
  • Applejack's "Day" Off
  • Where the Apple Lies (cider season)
  • 28 Pranks Later
  • The Saddle Row Review
  • A Hearth's Warming Tail (Hearth's Warming Eve)
  • Forever Filly
  • The Times They Are A Changeling
  • Mirror Magic
  • Dungeons & Discords
  • Forgotten Friendship
  • Viva Las Pegasus
  • Stranger Than Fan Fiction
  • Rollercoaster of Friendship
  • Top Bolt (trial week)
  • Parental Glideance
  • Flutter Brutter
  • To Where and Back Again
  • Celestial Advice
  • All Bottled Up

Year 4 (approx.):

• Rock Solid Friendship
  • Honest Apple
  • Fluttershy Leans In
  • Fame and Misfortune
  • Hard to Say Anything
  • A Royal Problem
  • Marks and Recreation
  • The Perfect Pear
  • Not Asking for Trouble
  • Triple Threat
  • Daring Done? (glowpaz festival)
  • Discordant Harmony
  • Once Upon a Zeppelin
  • Secrets and Pies (shortly after Rainbow's birthday)
  • To Change a Changeling
  • A Health of Information
  • It Isn't the Mane Thing About You
  • Uncommon Bond
  • Shadow Play
  • My Little Pony: The Movie
  • Spring Breakdown (spring break in the human world)
  • School Daze
  • The Maud Couple (Maud's birthday)
  • The Break Up Break Down (Hearts and Hooves Day)
  • Grannies Gone Wild
  • The Parent Map
  • The Mean 6

Year 5 (approx.):

• Fake It 'Til You Make It
  • Surf and/or Turf
  • Non-Compete Clause
  • Horse Play
  • Molt Down
  • Marks for Effort (applebuck season)
  • Road to Friendship (glowpaz festival)
  • A Matter of Principals
  • Friendship University
  • Yakity-Sax
  • Father Knows Beast (cider season)
  • The Hearth's Warming Club (Hearth's Warming Eve)
  • The End in Friend
  • A Rockhoof and a Hard Place
  • The Washouts
  • What Lies Beneath
  • Sounds of Silence
  • School Raze

When I have the time, I like to rewatch the whole series before the new season premieres, which is what I did during the hiatus leading up to season seven. I've been wanting to try arranging the episodes in chronological order for a while now, since I often find myself enjoying a series more if I feel like I’m watching it in the same order as the characters experience it, as it adds more context to the episodes. So during my latest rewatch, I made notes whenever I encountered tidbits that could have an effect on the episode's chronological placement, and arranged the episodes according to these notes as season seven was being released. I figured the end of season seven would be as good a time as any to release my timeline. It would be much appreciated if you could give me feedback on my order and point out details I might have missed. It’s probably impossible to create a definitive timeline but I believe we might be able to at least get close.

Now, I am of the belief that the first three seasons take place over the course of a single year. It’s never outright stated that exactly one year has passed, but Celestia’s words at the end of Princess Twilight Sparkle make it sound like it’s the first Summer Sun Celebration since Luna’s return.

”Citizens of Equestria, it is no longer with a heavy heart but with great joy that I raise the summer sun. For this celebration now represents not the defeat of Nightmare Moon, but the return of my sister, Princess Luna.” – Princess Celestia, S4E2

So, the first course of action was to fit the first three seasons’ episodes into a one-year timespan. Although there is no evidence that would suggest an Equestrian year is the same length as an Earth year I’m going to be using real-life dates for the sake of simplicity. My interpretation is as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

Friendship is Magic: The first two-parter seems like the obvious starting point. The pilot takes place during the Summer Sun Celebration, which is said to be on the longest day of the year. Summer solstice occurs on the 21st of June, which is where I’m going to place this episode.

Griffon the Brush Off: I’m placing this episode early on in the series since Rainbow Dash and Twilight find Pinkie annoying, meaning they don’t know each other very well yet. This also marks the first instance of a friendship letter in my timeline. Twilight is supposed to send a weekly friendship letter to Celestia, but I believe this deadline is something she set for herself. Twilight cares deeply about impressing Celestia and would probably take the friendship letters very seriously and in Celestial Advice we find out that the letters were mostly an excuse for Celestia to remain in contact with her student. Let’s say that Gilda visits Rainbow Dash on Tuesday the 22nd of June, giving Twilight an opportunity to write a letter to Celestia and decide that her self-imposed deadline falls on each Tuesday, meaning the 29th of June is the next deadline. This is the framework I will be using up until Lesson Zero.

Boast Busters: Twilight is afraid of showing off her magic powers, meaning this episode takes place early on in the series. Twilight writes a letter to Celestia, meaning she has met her deadline, placing the next deadline on the 6th of July.

Dragonshy: Rainbow Dash is annoyed with Fluttershy, despite the two of them being childhood friends, meaning this likely takes place early on in the series. In this episode, Twilight writes to Celestia to tell her that they successfully convinced the dragon to leave, she just so happened to learn a friendship lesson along the way. Knowing Twilight, it is quite possible that she wouldn’t count this as meeting the deadline and decides she needs to learn another friendship lesson in order to meet the deadline on the 6th of July.

Look Before You Sleep: Applejack and Rarity don’t get along yet, placing this episode early on in the series. Applejack also says the pegasi accidentally skipped a rainfall last week, which would make sense if they were distracted by the presence of a dragon. Twilight writes a friendship letter to Celestia, thus meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 13th of July.

Bridle Gossip: This episode takes place less than a month after Twilight moves to Ponyville since Zecora visits the town every month and this is the first time Twilight sees her. Twilight writes a letter to Celestia, thus meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 20th of July.

Feeling Pinkie Keen: This episode introduces the Pinkie sense, so any episode it appears in should come after this one. Additionally, Fluttershy addresses Twilight by her full name, which means it’s probably quite early on in their friendship. Probably takes place after Bridle Gossip since Twilight was quite adamant about not believing in curses in that episode, which kind of goes against the lesson she learns in this one. Twilight writes a letter to Celestia, meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 27th of July.

Over a Barrel: Braeburn says that first harvest should be any day now, placing this episode shortly before Applebuck Season. Twilight writes a letter to Celestia, meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 3rd of August.

Applebuck Season: I’m placing this episode right after Over a Barrel since Braeburn said harvest season is coming up. Certain kinds of apples are ready for harvest in late July/early August, so this seems like a decent point to place this episode. I don't think Equestrian flora and fauna should be viewed as an absolute indicator of the time of year since their world works so much differently from ours, but I occasionally use it as a reference when I need some inspiration for where to place the episodes. Twilight writes a friendship report, meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 10th of August.

Call of the Cutie: School has started at this point, so I’m placing it in August. This marks the formation of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Twilight writes a friendship letter to Celestia, meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 17th of August.

The Ticket Master: Applejack lets Twilight help her with the harvest, placing this episode after Applebuck Season. This episode serves as the introduction of the Grand Galloping Gala arc. Twilight writes a letter to Celestia mainly to explain why she’s returning the tickets so she probably doesn’t regard it as meeting the deadline, which is still on the 17th of August.

Stare Master: This episode serves as the introduction of the stare as well as the CMC capes. At the end of the episode, Twilight says she’ll write a letter to Celestia, but to me it sounds like she’s going to write about the cockatrice and Fluttershy’s stare rather than about a friendship lesson that she wasn't even around to witness first-hand, meaning she might not consider it meeting the deadline. The deadline is still on the 17th of August.

Spike at Your Service: This episode takes place after Call of the Cutie since Apple Bloom mentions the Crusaders. It may feel a bit odd to place a season three episode this early, but I feel like most of this episode’s problems can be solved by placing it early on in the series. Why is Spike a terrible baker? This episode takes place before he has learned to bake (I even headcanon that this episode is where his interest in baking comes from). Why has Spike’s dragon code never been brought up before? Because he hasn’t been in a life-threatening situation before (other than Twilight saving him from the hydra in Feeling Pinkie Keen, but he is already her assistant), and by the end of this episode he learns he doesn’t have to feel indebted to someone if they save his life. I didn’t find anything in the episode that suggests it has to take place later on in the series, so I’m going to stick with this placement. There is no friendship letter in this episode, so it’s okay to place it before Lesson Zero. Twilight’s deadline is still the 17th of August.

Suited for Success: Continues the Grand Galloping Gala arc. At one point, Rainbow Dash crashes through the roof of Carousel Boutique while practising a new trick, which I like to think is her preparing for the Best Young Flyer Competition, placing this episode before Sonic Rainboom. Twilight writes a friendship report to Celestia, meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 24th of August.

Swarm of the Century: Zecora appears in this episode, so it has to take place after Bridle Gossip. The gala dresses appear for a split second, so it probably comes after Suited for Success. Celestia has to postpone her visit, which I’m guessing is why she visits Ponyville in A Bird in the Hoof. Twilight delivers a friendship report in person instead of writing a letter, so I wouldn’t put it past her that she might not count this lesson as meeting the friendship letter deadline. The deadline is still on the 24th of August.

The Show Stoppers: This episode introduces the CMC clubhouse. Twilight mentions that she wants to write a report to Celestia at the end of the episode, but she hasn’t really learned anything herself and instead tries to teach a lesson to the Crusaders in a way, which they didn’t even get quite right in the end. It is possible she still wrote a report to Celestia, but she probably didn’t think her deadline had been met. The deadline is still on the 24th of August.

Green isn’t Your Colour: The gala dresses appear in a scene in which Rarity doesn’t seem to have a dress inspired by nature (which sounds strange given the nature of Fluttershy’s dress). My thinking is that the dresses on the rack are the ones that Hoity Toity ordered at the end of Suited for Success, which would explain why she wouldn’t want to use them in a photo shoot – she can’t deliver already worn dresses to the Best of the Best Boutique. Twilight writes a letter to Celestia, meeting the deadline. The next deadline is on the 31st of August, which is where I’m placing Lesson Zero.

Sonic Rainboom: Twilight has never heard of a sonic rainboom before, placing this episode before The Cutie Mark Chronicles. Celestia expects a friendship report from Twilight, meaning this episode takes place before Lesson Zero. It is Rarity who delivers the friendship lesson, so this episode doesn’t count towards Twilight’s deadline.

A Bird in the Hoof: Celestia visits Ponyville, presumably after her visit was postponed in Swarm of the Century. Twilight’s friends seem anxious about how to behave around Princess Celestia, so this episode probably takes place before Lesson Zero after which they feel familiar enough to write letters to her. Additionally, this episode showcases quite how nervous Twilight is about disappointing Celestia which serves as some nice buildup for Lesson Zero. Fluttershy delivers the friendship lesson, so this episode doesn’t count towards Twilight’s deadline.

Family Appreciation Day: The CMC clubhouse appears, so this episode takes place after The Show Stoppers. My chronology places zap apple harvest towards the end of August. There is no friendship letter in this episode, so it’s okay to place it before Lesson Zero. Speaking of which...

Lesson Zero: This episode takes place on Twilight’s final deadline day (31st of August in my timeline). After this point, the rest of the mane six can write letters to Celestia, and there are no longer any restrictions on how often the friendship reports are written.

A Dog and Pony Show: Spike’s reaction to Rarity giving him a gemstone seems to suggest this is the first time he has received a gift from her, placing this episode before Owl’s Well That Ends Well where his reaction to receiving the bowtie is nowhere near as strong. Applejack also has a line about how Rarity “won’t even touch mud unless it’s imported”, probably placing this episode before Sisterhooves Social.

Sisterhooves Social: This is where I run into a slight problem with my timeline. This episode takes place one year before Brotherhooves Social, which occurs simultaneously with Made in Manehattan during which the Midsummer Theatre Revival takes place. I can’t seem to place this episode anywhere close to Midsummer, so either it’s a hole in my chronology or there is some explanation such as: 1. Midsummer occurs at a different time in Equestria; most trees are still green on Nightmare Night (presumably on the 31st of October), after all. 2. The climate in Manehattan is different. or 3. The event is simply called the Midsummer Theatre Revival but does not actually take place on Midsummer. For now, I’m choosing to place this episode in early September.

The Cutie Mark Chronicles: Sweetie Belle suggests Rarity when Scootaloo says they should ask the coolest pony in Ponyville how she got her cutie mark, so it would make sense if this episode comes after Sisterhooves Social as the sisters are a lot closer at this point.

Owl’s Well That Ends Well: This marks the first appearance of Owloysius, so any episodes featuring him must come after this one.

The Cutie Pox: Takes place not too long after Bridle Gossip, since Zecora hasn’t visited Ponyville since then and thinks the ponies might still be afraid of her. This does place the episode more than a month after Bridle Gossip, but I imagine Zecora routinely visited the town every month in order to see if the ponies would be ready to talk to her and after the events of Bridle Gossip she was able to stock up on the herbal ingredients sold in Ponyville, making it unnecessary for her to come back to town before now.

Baby Cakes: Introduces the Cake twins, so any episodes featuring them must come after this one. This episode takes place on their month-i-versary, placing their birthday sometime in August in my timeline.

Ponyville Confidential: Has to take place fairly early on in the school year, since Cheerilee says the school paper's previous editor-in-chief graduated last year. There is an article featuring the Cake twins, so this episode comes after Baby Cakes.

The Last Roundup: Cherries are usually harvested in June/July, but as I mentioned, Equestrian climate seems different from ours, so cherries still being ready for harvest probably isn’t too much of a stretch. Has to take place after Lesson Zero since Applejack writes a letter to Celestia.

The Mysterious Mare Do Well: I’m placing this episode after The Cutie Mark Chronicles and Owl’s Well That Ends Well, since Scootaloo’s admiration for Rainbow Dash was hinted at in those episodes and at this point she has started a full-blown fan club for her.

Secret of My Excess: Spike receives a blanket from Applejack in this episode, which later appears in Dragon Quest. A very minor detail, but since I somehow noticed it, it would bother me if I didn't place this episode before that one. This episode takes place on Spike's birthday which is the same day as Twilight's entrance exam. Entrance exams are usually held in spring, but I can't fit this episode there since A Friend in Deed has to take place very early on in the spring since it takes place 75 days before Party of One (which is still in springtime) and has several episodes that have to come before it (including Dragon Quest) which in turn have requirements of their own. Basically, the first few weeks of February are chock-full and having entrance exams in autumn isn't unheard of, right? Maybe they accept new students for the spring term?

One Bad Apple: The Summer Harvest Parade occurs in this episode, so it probably takes place fairly late in the Equestrian summer which seems to span from about June to October. In Apple Family Reunion, Apple Bloom says it hasn't been that long since she and Babs last met, but my interpretation would place that episode about 6-7 months later (unless they met up off-screen, of course). However, Babs has had time to switch schools between these two episodes which would seem awfully quick if this episode came in late spring (which it would have to, if something called the “Summer Harvest Parade” could take place during her stay) so this placement seems the most plausible.

The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000: Cider season occurs fairly late in the year, so mid to late October seems like a good time for this episode, making this the last episode before Nightmare Night.

Luna Eclipsed: Takes place on Nightmare Night, which is based on Halloween, so I choose to place it on the 31st of October.

Fall Weather Friends: Autumn seems to be very short in Equestria, since we’ve barely had any episodes with an autumn setting, and most of the leaves are still green even in the Nightmare Night episodes. We know from the Winter Wrap Up song that Equestrian winters are three months long, so I’m placing the Running of the Leaves sometime in the first few weeks of November, making November, December and January the three winter months.

Hearth’s Warming Eve: This is one of the only two winter episodes of the first three seasons. Since Hearth’s Warming is based on Christmas, I’m placing this episode on Christmas Eve.

Winter Wrap Up: This marks the end of the winter season. I’m placing it towards the end of January.

Read It and Weep: Rainbow Dash is introduced to the Daring Do books. Probably takes place after Fall Weather Friends in which Rainbow makes fun of Twilight for being an egghead.

Sweet and Elite: Twilight’s birthday. The Grand Galloping Gala is coming up soon.

Dragon Quest: Spike has a photo from Twilight’s birthday party, placing this episode after Sweet and Elite. Has to take place before A Friend in Deed, since Cranky Doodle Donkey appears in this episode, travelling and wearing his old wig. I like to think he moved to Ponyville on Spike’s suggestion.

A Friend in Deed: Has to occur in early springtime since Pinkie says her birthday is in 75 days, and in Party of One Spike says it's spring. Takes place after Read It and Weep since Rainbow is reading a Daring Do book.

Hearts and Hooves Day: Takes place on Hearts and Hooves Day, which is based on Valentine’s Day, so I’m placing it on the 14th of February.

May the Best Pet Win!: Tank is introduced in this episode. Takes place after Winter Wrap Up since Rainbow has never spent a winter with Tank prior to Tanks for the Memories.

The Best Night Ever: We know that it takes place on the 21st of an unspecified month. I think March sounds about right.

The Return of Harmony: Has to take place sometime in the spring since Applejack has a flashback to Fall Weather Friends when Twilight restores her memories.

Putting Your Hoof Down: I’m placing it after The Return of Harmony since Fluttershy refers to herself as weak and helpless in that episode, indicating it takes place before she starts taking steps towards becoming more assertive.

MMMystery on the Friendship Express: Donut Joe says long time no see to Twilight in The Best Night Ever, and since he reappears in this episode it means it takes place after that one.

Party of One: Pinkie’s birthday. Takes place 75 days after A Friend in Deed, placing it in late April in my timeline.

It’s About Time: Takes place shortly after Arbor Day at the end of April.

Hurricane Fluttershy: Takes place after The Best Night Ever, since Spitfire hadn’t seen Rainbow since the Best Young Flyer Competition in that episode.

Too Many Pinkie Pies: Takes place after Party of One since Harry the bear’s house was mentioned in that episode and the joke doesn’t really work if we’ve seen his house already. Possibly before A Canterlot Wedding since Pinkie tells a changeling that she’s “seen better”. I want to place a couple of season three episodes between It's About Time and A Canterlot Wedding to increase the amount of time that passes between Twilight's visits to Canterlot. Since Shining Armour hasn't had time to tell Twilight he's getting married due to the increase in security, Twilight probably would have noticed something was up during It's About Time if these two episodes were too close together.

Sleepless in Ponyville: Rainbow Dash officially takes Scootaloo under her wing.

Wonderbolts Academy: It’s hard to tell how long Rainbow stays at Wonderbolts Academy, although Spitfire calls the same set of exercises trial week during Top Bolt, so a week seems likely. In any case, there’s probably nothing demanding Rainbow be absent in future episodes.

Apple Family Reunion: Has to take place a while after One Bad Apple since Babs Seed goes to a different school now.

A Canterlot Wedding: The last remaining season two episode, so I’ll place it here.

The Crystal Empire: Occurs after A Canterlot Wedding since Cadence and Shining Armour appear in this episode. The Crystal Empire is introduced.

Magic Duel: I want at least one Twilight episode between The Crystal Empire and Magical Mystery Cure to make her arc progress more smoothly.

Just for Sidekicks: Occurs simultaneously with Games Ponies Play. The elements of harmony are moved to Golden Oaks Library in Keep Calm and Flutter On, but they are nowhere to be seen in this episode. It is possible they were just off-screen, but I’ll just place these episodes before that one.

Games Ponies Play: Occurs simultaneously with Just for Sidekicks. Introduces the Equestria Games arc.

Keep Calm and Flutter On: The last remaining season three episode other than Magical Mystery Cure.

Magical Mystery Cure: Twilight becomes an alicorn, so pretty much all remaining episodes have to take place after this one.

Equestria Girls: Twilight is still getting used to her wings so it takes place not long after Magical Mystery Cure. In Equestria, it should be mid-June at this point but in the human world, the fall formal is about to take place, which seems like something that would be held at the start of the school year, likely placing it in August/September. That means the human world is 2-3 months ahead of Equestria, assuming the years are the same length, which they probably aren't. I really have no idea how time in the human world works, but under the Equestria Girls entries I will be listing the approximate times of year of both worlds, with the assumption that the human world is a bit over two months ahead of Equestria. So, for the first movie, this would be: Equestria time: mid June; human time: late August.

Equestria Girls is followed by Princess Twilight Sparkle, which marks the one-year anniversary of Twilight moving to Ponyville. I don’t believe there is any season-mixing necessary for season four, so I am going to rearrange the episodes within the boundary of their own season. My timeline is as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

Princess Twilight Sparkle: This episode is the obvious starting point, being the premiere. It takes place during the Summer Sun Celebration on the longest day of the year (21st of June).

Castle Mane-ia: Twilight is trying to find information about the chest from the tree of harmony, so this episode probably takes place right after the premiere. This episode also introduces the friendship journal, making it one of the first episodes of the season.

Daring Don’t: Fluttershy is teaching baby birds how to fly, so I think June/July would be a good time for this episode to take place.

Leap of Faith: According to the bookmarks in the friendship journal, the order in which the mane six received their keys is Applejack – Fluttershy – Rarity – Rainbow Dash – Pinkie Pie, making this the first of the key episodes. Additionally, Granny Smith is afraid of water prior to this episode, placing it before Pinkie Apple Pie in which she doesn’t have any objections to making a raft.

Power Ponies: The mane six are renovating the Castle of the Two Sisters, so it takes place after Castle Mane-ia.

Three’s a Crowd: Fluttershy goes on a trip to see the breezies, placing this episode shortly before It Ain’t Easy Being Breezies.

It Ain’t Easy Being Breezies: The second key episode. Occurs shortly after Three’s a Crowd since the breezies are now migrating through Ponyville.

For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils: Cheerilee is helping out at Sweetie Belle’s play, but to me it seems more like an extracurricular activity that doesn’t necessarily have to occur during the school year, since Sweetie Belle was the one who directed the play and the CMC were the only actors in it. Cheerilee was probably just helping to arrange it.

Inspiration Manifestation: No particular requirements. The Foal and Filly Fair is held in this episode, and summertime seems like a good time for that.

Rarity Takes Manehattan: The third key episode. No particular requirements.

Twilight Time: The schoolponies are hanging out at the playground, but there’s no sign of Cheerilee, so this episode can take place during the summer holidays. Diamond Tiara asks Sweetie Belle if her sister is going to take her to Manehattan anytime soon, meaning it might take place after Rarity Takes Manehattan and Diamond Tiara heard about her going to the city. Otherwise it seems like a slightly random thing to ask.

Pinkie Apple Pie: Granny Smith isn’t afraid of water, so this episode comes after Leap of Faith. Applejack hasn’t met Goldie Delicious before, so this episode takes place before Filli Vanilli in which she visits the Ponyville pet centre fundraiser. At the end of the episode, the Apples are arguing about who should write the journal entry, so it probably comes after Twilight Time which seemed like the first time a non-mane seven member was allowed to make an entry.

Trade Ya!: Twilight seems slightly annoyed at a filly who wanted her autograph, so it probably comes after Twilight Time in which she was surprised the foals wanted her autograph. There isn’t any dialogue in this episode nor in Rainbow Falls that would suggest either one has to come before the other. I’m mostly just trying to distribute the key episodes somewhat evenly.

Bats!: Occurs at the start of applebuck season, so sometime around late July/early August.

Rainbow Falls: The fourth key episode. Continues the Equestria Games arc. Probably takes place before Testing Testing 1, 2, 3 since Rainbow probably wouldn’t be so conflicted over flying with the Wonderbolts or not if she already was a reserve.

Flight to the Finish: The school year has started. Continues the Equestria Games arc.

Simple Ways: This episode takes place on Ponyville Day, celebrating the foundation of Ponyville. I’m guessing it takes place on the same date as the day the Smith family settled near the Everfree Forest, so sometime before Zap Apple season.

Filli Vanilli: At the end of the episode, Rarity says the Ponytones have been booked for the Apple Family Zap Apple Jam Extraordinaire, placing this episode sometime before Zap Apple season at the end of August.

Pinkie Pride: The final key episode. Takes place on Rainbow’s birth-iversary. Should probably occur before Maud Pie, since the introduction of a fourth Pie sister would be kind of awkward without the foreshadowing on Pinkie’s photo.

Somepony to Watch Over Me: Likely takes place during applebuck season since Apple Bloom is attempting to harvest apples.

Maud Pie: Takes place right before Maud leaves to study rock science. The classes at my university usually start towards the end of August, so that’s the timeframe I’ll use. Maud encounters Starlight Glimmer sometime between this episode and The Cutie Map, which is not a huge timespan, but my thinking is that getting a rocktorate is mostly based on field studies so Maud would start travelling Equestria almost immediately. In The Gift of the Maud Pie, Pinkie says Maud is taking her studies near Manehattan, which is very close to Starlight's village on the map of Equestria, so the area around Starlight's village could very well be the first place Maud visited as part of her studies. Additionally, in Rock Solid Friendship it seemed like Starlight had already stolen the villagers’ cutie marks some time ago since their hairstyles were all the same and they were building the houses in the shape of an equal sign, so I’m guessing the village was expanding and Starlight wasn’t able to keep such a large amount of cutie marks bottled up for long, which led her to look for a more efficient means of storing them.

Equestria Games: Concludes the Equestria Games arc. I don’t want to place it right before Twilight’s Kingdom, since it seems a bit silly that they leave the Crystal Empire only to go back there in the very next episode in the original airing order. There is an inconsistency regarding the Equestria Girls film, since Twilight says the last time Spike was in the Crystal Empire was the season three premiere. This is either a plothole, Equestria Girls being confirmed as non-canon, or Twilight simply forgetting she went to the Crystal Empire during Equestria Girls since the human world was kind of a big deal, making her overlook minor details such as where the mirror was located. Choose whichever one is to your liking.

Testing Testing 1, 2, 3: No particular requirements, but probably comes after Rainbow Falls.

Twilight’s Kingdom: The Golden Oaks Library is destroyed and Twilight receives her own castle, which is featured pretty prominently in future seasons, so it seems like an unnecessary hassle to place any future episodes earlier than this.

Rainbow Rocks: Twilight’s castle appears, and the cutie map is foreshadowed in the second Equestria Girls film, placing it between the season four finale and season five premiere. Equestria time: late August; human time: early November (I really have no idea how the human world works, probably best not to think about it too much.)

And that concludes season four. I’m not getting any other seasons mixed up in season five either, I’m just rearranging the episodes as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

The Cutie Map: This marks the first appearance of the cutie map, meaning any episode it appears in comes after this. Making the premiere come first in the season five chronology seems like the simplest course of action.

Castle Sweet Castle: Twilight still doesn’t feel at home in the castle, making this early on in season five. This episode also introduces the chandelier.

Made in Manehattan: I placed Sisterhooves Social in early September, so that’s where this episode goes as well. There is nothing in this episode or The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone that suggests either episode comes before the other. However, as mentioned under the Sisterhooves Social entry, there is a bit of a plothole here, what with the Midsummer Theatre Revival, but I really don’t see how I could possibly fit the social anywhere near Midsummer, so I’ll keep it in this slot. This episode occurs simultaneously with Brotherhooves Social.

Brotherhooves Social: Occurs simultaneously with Made in Manehattan.

Bloom & Gloom: To me, it seems like Luna foreshadows the Tantabus with her line “Sometimes we can worry about a thing so much, the fear can make us feel we're trapped in a nightmare”, so this seems like a good place for this episode.

Slice of Life: Has to come before Crusaders of the Lost Mark, since the CMC appear without their cutie marks. I’m placing it before Appleoosa’s Most Wanted since I want to space out the CMC episodes a little.

Appleoosa’s Most Wanted: Has to come before Crusaders of the Lost Mark, since the CMC don't have their cutie marks.

Party Pooped: Has to take place before Crusaders of the Lost Mark, since the CMC appear without their cutie marks.

Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?: Has to take place before Crusaders of the Lost Mark, since the CMC appear without their cutie marks.

Crusaders of the Lost Mark: The CMC get their cutie marks, so it has to take place after any episodes where their blank flanks are visible. Make New Friends But Keep Discord can be placed in the upcoming spring since the CMC were wearing dresses the entire episode (thankfully – otherwise my whole chronology would've fallen apart. Rewatching that episode with this knowledge in mind was a pretty nerve-wracking experience, I'll tell you!)

Scare Master: Takes place one year after Luna Eclipsed, on the 31st of October.

Tanks for the Memories: Takes place one year after Fall Weather Friends and less than a year after May the Best Pet Win!

Hearthbreakers: Takes place one year after Hearth’s Warming Eve, on the 24th/25th of December.

The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone: There is nothing preventing it from taking place after Made in Manehattan, so I’m placing it here.

Princess Spike: In Made in Manehattan and The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone, Twilight seems dejected about not being summoned by the map, so I believe she organised the summit in this episode in order to try to contribute towards spreading friendship. I’m placing it before The One Where Pinkie Pie knows since I want that to be Cadence’s last appearance before Flurry Heart is born. She is very skinny and, realistically, she should start showing eventually and my suspension of disbelief can only handle so much.

Canterlot Boutique: I don’t want to place this episode right before Rarity Investigates!, since Rarity introduces a new line in that episode, which would probably take a while to create.

The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows: This marks Cadence’s last appearance before The Crystalling. I’m placing this episode in mid-February and The Crystalling in late June, so it is kind of possible she still wouldn’t be showing, right? The CMC have their cutie marks so it comes after Crusaders of the Lost Mark.

Amending Fences: I'm imagining Starlight Glimmer spends some time coming up with a revenge plan after the events of The Cutie Map, and begins stalking Twilight towards the end of the season, waiting for the right time to strike, so I'm going to place the episodes with her background appearances (this one and What About Discord?) close to the finale.

Make New Friends But Keep Discord: Takes place one year after The Best Night Ever. The Grand Galloping Gala takes place on the 21st of March in my timeline, and it’s about time for that now.

Rarity Investigates!: Rarity introduces a new line to the Canterlot Carousel, so this episode takes place a while after Canterlot Boutique. Rainbow Dash says it's springtime, so this seems like a good time for this episode.

The Hooffields and McColts: Twilight says they've all been called by the map now, making this the last map episode of season five.

What About Discord?: The Smooze makes a cameo so this episode probably comes after Make New Friends But Keep Discord.

The Mane Attraction: Has to take place after Crusaders of the Lost Mark, since the CMC have their cutie marks. Its original airdate was right before the finale, and that seems like a good place for it.

The Cutie Re-Mark: The last episode of season five. Starlight becomes Twilight’s pupil. Occurs simultaneously with Friendship Games.

Friendship Games: Occurs simultaneously with The Cutie Re-Mark. Equestria time: late May/early June; human time: early to mid August.

For seasons six and seven and the Equestria Girls specials, there will be some mixing, so I’m going to list them together:

Reveal hidden contents

On Your Marks: This marks the first post-mark CMC meeting, so I want to place it as early as possible. Ideally it would come even earlier than this, but I prefer not to mix seasons with major changes to the theme song (alicorn Twilight, Twilight’s Castle and Starlight) so I’ll place this episode here and headcanon that the CMC decided to focus more on school for the spring term, explaining why this episode didn’t occur sooner. It may well take place before The Crystalling since Twilight suggests tagging along with the CMC to solve a cutie mark problem as one of Starlight's potential first lessons, and this is the episode in which they definitively figure out their purpose in life.

Legend of Everfree: It’s stated that about a year has passed since the events of Equestria Girls, so I’m placing this film in mid to late June (in Equestria time). I’m guessing the trip to Camp Everfree takes place right after the current year’s Fall Formal. Feels a bit weird to place two feature films this close together, but the way Sci-Twi and the others act does make it seem like this film takes place not long after the previous one. Equestria time: late June; human time: early September.

The Crystalling: This episode takes place not too long after The Cutie Re-Mark since Starlight is still getting used to staying at the castle and is just about to have her first friendship lesson. I’m placing it towards the end of June.

The Gift of the Maud Pie: I'm going to place this episode sometime in July in order to distribute them more evenly. I imagine Maud would be taking some sort of summer courses, given how passionate she is about the subject she studies. At this point, Maud has studied rock science for one year and will soon begin her second, leading to her obtaining her rocktorate in the upcoming spring. This probably takes place before Gauntlet of Fire since Rarity makes a joke about creating a rock-based fashion line named after Maud at the end of that episode.

Gauntlet of Fire: The princesses say they rarely get a chance to visit Twilight, so it probably takes place before No Second Prances, what with the dinner with Celestia.

No Second Prances: Has to come before Every Little Thing She Does since Starlight befriending Trixie is brought up in that episode.

Newbie Dash: Rainbow Dash becomes a Wonderbolt, so any episode mentioning that must come after this one.

The Cart Before the Ponies: This episode takes place during schooltime. I’m placing it in mid-August.

Dance Magic: Sugarcoat says it's only been a few months since the Friendship Games, which I placed in late May/early June, so mid-August seems like a good place for this special. Equestria time: mid-August; human time: late October.

Buckball Season: It seems a bit strange Applejack and Rainbow Dash wouldn’t ask Twilight or Starlight to compete on their team (Rarity probably isn’t too interested in sports), which is why I’m placing this episode right before Spice Up Your Life since my headcanon is that Twilight and Starlight were busy working on the spell to fix the cutie map which is why they couldn’t join the buckball team.

Spice Up Your Life: Has to take place a fair while after The Hooffields and McColts, since Twilight comments on how it’s been quite some time since they were called by the map.

Every Little Thing She Does: This episode seems like a decent followup to the previous one, since it’s focused on how Starlight has been making progress on her magic but not her friendship lessons. Twilight says Starlight hasn’t learned any friendship lessons since No Second Prances, which is why I’m placing it before A Hearth’s Warming Tail and The Times They Are A Changeling, since she kind of learned friendship lessons in those.

The Fault in Our Cutie Marks: Takes place before P.P.O.V. since the boat featured in that episode is the same as the one built by Gabby in this episode.

A Flurry of Emotions: In The Times They Are A Changeling, Twilight says she hopes Cadence and Shining Armour don't think it's too soon for another visit. It is of course possible she has visited them off-screen, but I still don't want too many episodes to pass between Twilight seeing them. Additionally, school picture day, in my experience, usually takes place quite early on in the school year.

P.P.O.V.: Applejack is seen bucking apples in this episode, so it probably takes place during applebuck season. Comes after The Fault in Our Cutie Marks, since the boat in this episode is the same as the one that Gabby built.

Movie Magic: Has to take place a while before Mirror Magic, since the film that's being produced in this episode premieres in that one, and there's usually a pretty long gap between production and release. Equestria time: late September; human time: early December. (The entire special takes place inside a film studio, so it can occur at any time of year.)

Campfire Tales: Apple Bloom refers to the Big-Sister-Little-Sister Camping Trip as annual, and this trip could be interpreted as either the first trip since Sleepless in Ponyville or one of several they have been on since. Apple Bloom makes it sound like the latter with her line “But the more we do it, the better we get at camping” which would be a strange thing to say if this was merely the second time. Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo on the other hand seem to imply this is their first camping trip since Sleepless in Ponyville what with Rainbow saying “You've got a big sister this time”. I choose to believe this is the first Big-Sister-Little-Sister Camping Trip since season three, placing it approximately a year and a half after Sleepless in Ponyville (I don't believe there's any indication it has to take place at the same time of year). Apple Bloom's line can still be reasonably explained if you assume that the Apple siblings, and possibly Rarity and Sweetie Belle, have gone camping since Sleepless in Ponyville, but this is the first time all three sister pairs have gone together since then.

Applejack's “Day” Off: Rainbow Dash mentions Wonderbolts practice, so it comes after Newbie Dash. Applejack says the rest of the Apple family is taking the harvest to the market, so I'm placing it at the same time of year as the summer harvest parade in One Bad Apple.

Where the Apple Lies: Takes place during cider season, so I'm placing this episode in mid to late October.

28 Pranks Later: No particular requirements, but seems thematically fitting to place near Nightmare Night.

The Saddle Row Review: Rarity states it is the last day of the fall season. As I've previously stated, Autumn seems very short in Equestria, and all the trees are still green anyway, so I'm not really sure where to place this episode. The end of October or start of November seems like a decent spot.

A Hearth's Warming Tail: Takes place on Hearth's Warming Eve, one year after Hearthbreakers.

Forever Filly: Takes place during the winter-spring transition, so it's likely the first episode of this spring. I imagine that Rarity was away over the winter working on new lines for her boutiques in Canterlot and Manehattan, and only briefly came back to Ponyville to celebrate Hearth's Warming Eve, which would explain why she misses Sweetie Belle so much in this episode.

The Times They Are A Changeling: I'm placing this episode before Mirror Magic since Starlight saying "Friendship lessons can happen anywhere" would seem like a redundant observation after spending time in the human world.

Mirror Magic: Probably takes place a couple of months after Movie Magic. Has to come before Forgotten Friendship since Sunset uses her new journal in that episode. Starlight says Twilight and her friends were called away to solve a friendship problem, but I don't know what episode that could be referring to, so the mission most likely happens off screen. Equestria time: mid-February; human time: late April.

Dungeons & Discords: Since Starlight is absent in this episode, despite living in the castle, I'm placing it right after Mirror Magic since she ends up staying in the human world for a few days.

Forgotten Friendship: Wallflower Blush says she's been on the yearbook committee all year, so this special probably takes place towards the end of the school year. Has to come before My Little Pony: The Movie and season 8, since the Canterlot throne room uses its old design. Equestria time: late March; human time: late May.

Viva Las Pegasus: No particular requirements, I'm placing a couple of episodes between Forgotten Friendship and Rollercoaster of Friendship to avoid having back-to-back Equestria Girls specials.

Stranger Than Fan Fiction: I believe spring is a pretty popular time of year for conventions. Probably takes place a while after The Fault in Our Cutie Marks, since Twilight is going to a friendship summit in Griffonstone, and according to Gabby, the griffons still seemed pretty hostile in that episode.

Rollercoaster of Friendship: Rarity and Applejack have applied for summer jobs, so it probably takes place at the start of the summer holidays. Comes before Spring Breakdown since Equestria Land (referred to as "Equestria World") is mentioned in that special. Equestria time: early April; human time: mid-June.

Top Bolt: Takes place two years after Wonderbolts Academy. Sometime in late May, I would say.

Parental Glideance: Takes place during the school year since Scootaloo is preparing for a presentation. This marks Thunderlane's first appearance as a Wonderbolt, so it should probably come before Marks and Recreation to serve as some nice foreshadowing. Since that episode takes place at a summer camp, that would place this one in the spring term. Has to come after Top Bolt since Sky Stinger and Vapour Trail appear, wearing academy uniforms.

Flutter Brutter: Since Zephyr Breeze graduates at the end of this episode, I'm placing this episode in late spring. I want to place the three graduation episodes (this one, Celestial Advice and Rock Solid Friendship) close together, to get a bit of a theme going.

To Where and Back Again: The last remaining season six episode.

Celestial Advice: Seems to take place a few days after the season six finale. Starlight graduates in this episode, and although it's not an official graduation from a school, it seems thematically suitable to place it in late spring.

All Bottled Up: Twilight says Starlight has barely graduated, placing this episode shortly after Celestial Advice.

Rock Solid Friendship: Takes place shortly after Maud's graduation, so sometime in late June seems good.

Honest Apple: Comes before Fame and Misfortune since Applejack sings “there's such thing as being too honest too” in the Flawless song.

Fluttershy Leans In: Introduces Sweet Feather Sanctuary. This episode serves to show how far Fluttershy has come, so to me it seems fitting to place it before Fame and Misfortune in which she is able to defend herself about learning the same lesson over and over. It would be a bit redundant to place this episode any later in the series.

Fame and Misfortune: Chip Cutter has his cutie mark, so it comes after Forever Filly. The CMC get the idea for a cutie mark summer camp, which is later seen in Marks and Recreation, so this probably takes place in early summer.

Hard to Say Anything: Probably comes after Celestial Advice, since I imagine Big Mac and Sugar Belle met when the Our Town ponies visited Ponyville for Starlight's ceremony. Has to come before It Isn't the Mane Thing About You since Big Mac and Sugar Belle appear together in that episode.

A Royal Problem: Twilight says it's the first time the map has called just one of them, so it comes before Triple Threat. Should probably come before The Perfect Pear since Applejack's parents are foreshadowed in a dream bubble.

Marks and Recreation: Has to take place after Fame and Misfortune, since that's where the CMC first mentioned the idea of a cutie mark summer camp (even though they act as if they come up with the idea in this episode, so I don't know if Fame and Misfortune is supposed to be non-canon or what).

The Perfect Pear: Has to come before It Isn't the Mane Thing About You, since Granny Smith and Grand Pear are selling produce together and Apple Bloom is talking to Burnt Oak in that episode.

Not Asking for Trouble: Applejack mentions “this season's batch” of apples and is seen receiving help with the harvest from Fluttershy, so applebuck season has probably begun, placing this episode in early August, or so. In my chronology, the majority of It Isn't the Mane Thing About You takes place shortly after this episode, but I will list it according to the closing scene. Get ready for two months without Rarity.

Triple Threat: Has to come before To Change a Changeling, since Thorax mentions the group of renegade changelings who, aside from Pharynx, have all transformed by the time that episode comes along. Probably comes after Not Asking for Trouble, since I imagine Pinkie is the one who made Twilight realise that she can make her friends ambassadors if she so desires, explaining Spike's new title in this episode.

Daring Done?: Should be at the same time of year as Road to Friendship since the glowpaz festival is taking place in that episode. The event in this episode is never referred to by name but I assume it's the same festival. Road to Friendship can be placed in August at the earliest, so I'm placing this episode here. Rarity doesn't appear so it can take place during the time skip in It Isn't the Mane Thing About You.

Discordant Harmony: No particular requirements. Since Rarity doesn't appear in this episode, I'll place it during the timeskip in It Isn't the Mane Thing About You.

Once Upon a Zeppelin: I'll place this episode before A Health of Information, since Twilight placing other ponies' well-being before her own is a problem of a similar nature to Fluttershy's in the aforementioned episode. Twilight telling Fluttershy to take care of her own needs kind of seems like she's passing along the lesson she learned in this episode.

Secrets and Pies: When listing the most recent pies she has made for Rainbow, Pinkie mentions a pie she made for her birthday, meaning this episode takes place shortly after Rainbow's birth-iversary, which I placed in mid-to-late august. Rainbow has been a Wonderbolt for approximately a year and a month at this point, which seems like a fitting timespan for 74 training sessions to take place in. Rarity doesn't appear in this episode, so it can be placed during the timeskip in It Isn't the Mane Thing About You.

To Change a Changeling: Has to take place after Triple Threat, since Starlight mentions Ember helping Thorax be more assertive.

A Health of Information: Takes place after Fluttershy Leans In, since Sweet Feather Sanctuary is mentioned.

It Isn't the Mane Thing About You: This episode is kind of a continuity nightmare. The Cake twins would have to be turning three years old by now, so they had their first sneezes when they were two? Flurry Heart sneezed in her debut episode, for crying out loud. There is absolutely no way only a year has passed since Baby Cakes if that's what this episode is implying – please age them up already! The timeskip at the end means Rarity won't be able to appear for the duration of these months, the main body of the episode taking place in early August and the epilogue in mid-October, making the timeskip a bit over two months.

Uncommon Bond: Probably comes right before the finale, since Starswirl's journal was foreshadowed at the end of this episode. Sunburst probably discovers the journal shortly after the episode ends, since it was on top of the pile of antiques.

Shadow Play: The Canterlot throne room uses its old design, so this episode comes before The Movie and season 8, in which the new design is used.

My Little Pony: The Movie: Takes place between season 7 and 8 since the events of the movie are referenced in School Daze.

Spring Breakdown: Takes place in between the movie and season 8 since the Storm King is mentioned but the school of friendship doesn't seem to have been built yet. We never get a clear view of the area where the school is located, but I'd say its towers should have been visible if construction was finished. This would place this special somewhere in the time skip in School Daze during which the school is built. I imagine it's late January shortly after winter wrap-up in Equestria, placing the human world in early April, which seems like a fitting time for spring break.

Season 8 doesn't require any mixing as of yet, so I'm just rearranging the episodes as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

School Daze: The cold open takes place shortly after the movie since that's when the characters first notice the cutie map has expanded. I'm placing the main body of the episode in early February. Since this is the last episode in which the old intro is used, all remaining episodes should come after this one.

The Maud Couple: Maud's birthday. Introduces Mud Briar, so I'm placing it before The Break Up Break Down where he makes a cameo.

The Break Up Break Down: Takes place on Hearts and Hooves Day on the 14th of February. Should come after The Maud Couple since Maud and Mud Briar appear.

Grannies Gone Wild: Takes place during the school year since Applejack is covering Rainbow's classes.

The Parent Map: No particular requirements. I'm placing it here to distribute the episodes more evenly across the year.

The Mean 6: Starlight's first time camping, so it has to come a while before Road to Friendship where she has a collection of campfire spices. Spike doesn't appear so it can take place before Molt Down.

Fake It 'Til You Make It: Fluttershy says she's never tried to act before, so this episode comes before Horse Play in which she ends up playing the leading role. Twilight is writing a curriculum, meaning it might take place right before a school term, so I'm placing it in July.

Surf and/or Turf: Probably takes place a while after the movie since they've had time to build a railroad to Mount Aris. Since Twilight is getting a field trip permission slip signed, I'm placing it shortly before Non-Compete Clause which is the first time the students go on a field trip.

Non-Compete Clause: This is where I'll have to jump through some hoops, since Fluttershy has been teacher of the month nine times. Assuming the school has been running since February, that would place this episode at the start of November at the earliest, which means it'd have to be autumn (which it isn't). Additionally, Spike doesn't have his wings yet, so I'd have to fit Molt Down and Marks for Efforts in which he's still getting used to his wings between this episode and The Hearth's Warming Club where he has his wings and that just doesn't seem feasible, so I had to come up with some convoluted headcanons to explain my placing it earlier in the year. I have decided to imagine that initially the students got to vote for their favourite teacher each week, before Twilight decided that was too frequent, changing it to a monthly vote in March, and since the school of friendship is more leisurely, I made the summer holidays take place over six weeks in June and July, so that a teacher of the month poll would be held in the first week of June and the last week of July. So that places polls 1-4 in February and 5-9 once a month, the most recent one being in July, placing this episode in early August.

Horse Play: Has to come after Fake It 'Til You Make It, since Fluttershy said she hadn't tried acting before in that episode. Starlight mentions having met Princess Celestia at galas, by which I assume she means the Grand Galloping Gala, so at least two Galas must have been held since Starlight's redemption. According to my chronology, this year's Gala would have been the second one Starlight could have attended, so that adds up.

Molt Down: Spike gets his wings, which provides a clear indicator of when episodes can be placed.

Marks for Effort: Spike is still getting used to having wings, so it most likely comes right after Molt Down. Applejack says Apple Bloom is supposed to be on harvest duty, so it probably takes place during applebuck season. Cozy Glow says she just moved there to go to school, so it would make sense if it's at the start of a new term.

Road to Friendship: Starlight has students queuing up for counselling, so it should come after Marks for Effort where she was frustrated about not having much to do. Starlight has a collection of campfire spices, so it must come after The Mean 6 which was the first time she went camping. The glowpaz festival is taking place, so it should be at the same time of year as Daring Done?.

A Matter of Principals: Cozy Glow starts taking notes as soon as she learns of the magical artefacts, so I'm guessing this is when she starts working on her plan to take over the school, placing this episode before the ones where she's helping Twilight, trying to gain her trust. Discord mentions not being invited to the baccelaureate, by which I assume he means Marks for Effort, since the CMC are the only ones who have "graduated" from the school of friendship at this point.

Friendship University: Cozy Glow is helping Twilight, so it comes after A Matter of Principals. I'm placing it a while before A Rockhoof and a Hard Place to distribute the pillar episodes more evenly.

Yakity-Sax: The events of Horse Play are mentioned so it has to come after that. The Apple family is harvesting apples, so it might take place during applebuck season. Applejack says Pinkie has been playing the yovidaphone for moons, although that to me seems hyperbolic, equivalent to our 'taking ages'. There should still be a time skip, perhaps of a couple weeks or so.

Father Knows Beast: Spike is learning to fly, so it takes place not too long after Molt Down. Applejack and Big Mac are using the cider press so it probably takes place during cider season in mid to late October.

The Hearth's Warming Club: Takes place on Hearth's Warming Eve, two years after A Hearth's Warming Tail.

The End in Friend: Rainbow says Rarity is "working on her winter collection and it's not even summer yet", placing this episode in the spring. The artefacts from the spellvenger hunt appear, so it should come after A Matter of Principals.

A Rockhoof and a Hard Place: Meadowbrook says Starswirl is still learning about friendship, so it should come after Friendship University where that plot point was introduced. Should probably take place a while after Shadow Play since Stygian has had time to write three novels.

The Washouts: Should come after Non-Compete Clause, since Rainbow Dash putting the students in danger to break a record would be really out of character after this episode.

What Lies Beneath: Cozy Glow is helping Twilight so it comes after A Matter of Principals.

Sounds of Silence: Rockhoof has told Twilight about the Peaks of Peril, so it probably comes after A Rockhoof and a Hard Place.

School Raze: The last remaining season 8 episode. Gallus says finals are coming up, probably placing it fairly late in the spring term. Twilight says the school has been running for one semester, but that doesn't add up since this season spans several months as seen in Non-Compete Clause and seems to cover almost all times of year, such as Hearts and Hooves Day, cider season and Hearth's Warming Eve and Spike's wings make it impossible to shuffle the episodes around in a way that would make it work, so I choose to believe the school of friendship uses different terminology where semester refers to a whole school year (even though semester comes from the Latin word for six months, but shhh!)

...And here's the super short WIP of season 9, why not:

Reveal hidden contents

The Beginning of the End: Starlight says the school is closed for the summer.

The Best Gift Ever: The Young Six are shown getting on a train at the start of this special, so it takes place at least one year after The Hearth's Warming Club in which they ended up staying in Ponyville for the holidays.

Kudos to you if you read all that! Feel free to ask if you want me to clarify things further. Feedback would be much appreciated!

hey, any chance the Season 8 episode "Molt Down" can be placed before "The Mean 6" , without continuity issues?

• 5 weeks later...

@Starshine Sprinkles

Hello Starshine Sprinkles!

I must say, I was very impressed with what you’ve managed to put together!
Yours and Auren Dawnstar’s work (https://www.deviantart.com/auren-dawnstar/art/MLP-Chronological-Timeline-636546794 ) has inspired me to create my own interpretation of the timeline, taking into account all the comments and arguments about questionable placement of certain episodes - but with some major changes, such as – (1) accounting for the actual dates on which the episodes occurred and fitting them into one year (2) including storylines and other material from the IDW comics, chapter books, mangas and other picture storybooks etc.

Although doing so has led me to shuffle a majority of the episodes around to the extent that the episodes in my list do not take place in the same order as yours or Auren’s chronology.

Also, I have decided to not interfere with the wording you and Auren originally used in your explanations, because your descriptions were so apt and beautifully worded.
I have also followed Auren’s exact format of presenting the material (i.e. the episode/comic/storyline name, followed by ’major note’, ‘minor note(s), ‘special note’).

I am nearly in the final stages of completing my work, and would like to post in on my DeviantArt page and other MLP related sites. I have credited the both you, of course, and also mentioned which bits I’ve left intact, and what extra material I have added. However, I would like to know if you are OK with it. I will only post my timeline when you give me permission to do so. I know you fell out of the fandom, because of the ‘update’ note you posted on this page, but it’s the right thing to do, isn’t it? Just because you’re no longer in the fandom doesn’t give me the right to plagiarize your hard work.

Hoping for a positive response! Have a great day!

- Dreamstar Moonlight