Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you change your name?

Essence

nah,i'm fine with it,i just wish they bothered translating it when they wrote it in english on my ID instead of just changing each letter to its english counterpart
(my name is Τριανταφυλλος they made it Triantafyllos instead of Rose)

• Brohoof 2

I thought about changing my name for a while because I hated the way it was pronounced, but after many years I've come to realize I actually have a really nice name, it's just the way people pronounce it in the part of Norway where I live that I don't like. My brother had the same problem, but we've both gotten used to it by now

One thing that does bother me about my name, is that I have no idea how I'd pronounced it if an English-speaking person asked for it :blink:

1 hour ago, Synniken said:

I thought about changing my name for a while because I hated the way it was pronounced, but after many years I've come to realize I actually have a really nice name, it's just the way people pronounce it in the part of Norway where I live that I don't like. My brother had the same problem, but we've both gotten used to it by now

One thing that does bother me about my name, is that I have no idea how I'd pronounced it if an English-speaking person asked for it :blink:

Same story here. I typically use my middle name with English natives because my first name is hard to say in English.

I don't know if I'd ever consider changing my name. I actually like it.

I think I was stupid and thought the thread meant a username before hand. Let me correct my answer. No, I don't plan on changing my name anytime soon. It's a bit too complicated of a task right now and I don't want to go through it at all.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

I did it. When I was 21 I changed my middle and last names around. My family name is a first name and my middle name was my grandmothers maiden name. 

If I could go back and undo it I definitely would. It upset my dad more than I thought it would. We’re so thoughtless sometimes when we’re young. Too much water under the bridge now to change it back. 

Already did.  Sorta.  I've always hated my given name.  First, middle, and last.  After many years of feeling too scared and awkward to say anything about it, I finally decided to have my friends and family call me something different.  I wanted to change it legally as well, but I bailed out on that idea after learning how difficult it is.  I mean, yeah, I knew it was difficult, but holy crap, dude.  You have to have two background checks--both a state and a federal.  And they have to both come back and be turned in or whatever within a certain amount of time from each other.  Like, they both have to be current and simultaneous.  And the federal takes way longer, so you're advised to let that one get a several week head-start.  They have to come back, like, within a week of each other.  If one is delayed, they both become invalid and you have to start over from scratch.  And it's expensive every time you do it.  If you get 'em back in time, then you go down to the government center and pay hundreds of dollars to have court hearings, and if the judge doesn't like your reason for changing your name, they can deny it.  If they approve, then you have to have your new name published in the newspaper three times within 21 days of the change or it legally reverts back to your old one.

Spoiler

WHAT THE F*CK?!  ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME?!  MAN..... MAN, F*CK THAT SHIT.

On 12/6/2017 at 11:26 PM, Beauty Divine said:

Yes. I LOATHE my true name. Look, I respect my parents to a certain degree, but one of the things that I hate about babies being given their names is that they never really have a choice in the matter. I understand why, of course, but as a result, I don't really see MY name as MY name, but more my parent's name for me. I want my name to reflect who I am now, not what I was like when I was an infant.

Exactly.  We all deserve to be called what we want.  We deserve a say in the matter.  That's why I don't consider my legal name to be my true name.  My legal name is just... well, it's like my social security number.  Just a legal government label.  It's not me.  And y'know, why not?  After all, in the age of the internet, so many online celebrities are better known by their self-chosen aliases, anyway.  I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to called what we want.  The legal name need only be for the legal documentation.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I did try one or two different names a while ago but none of them really worked or had as good a rhyme in it. :twismile: I had already been using the name TomDaBomb for a couple of years before I joined and I always liked how it rhymed. 

I tried to change it to a name that further showed my love for the Mane Six but I couldn't find a way to make it rhyme. :dash:I think I'll keep being a Bomb. :kindness:

• Brohoof 1

Probably with ”Midnight Harmony” my OC in the future, but l'm not so sure... :huh:

Anyway, long time ago l had a ”_” symbol between my name, l deleted that symbol cuz it was pretty weird as ”Midnight_Danny”. :twismile:

• Brohoof 1

My real name is the only thing I’ve consistently liked about myself, so I wouldn’t change it. If I were to get married or something and could have a last name people knew how to spell, I wouldn’t mind that too much.

As for my username, I wouldn’t change that permanently. People seem to like it and there aren’t any other ExplosionMares around that I know of.

• Brohoof 1

As far as usernames go I could potentially see myself changing this one again if I think of one I like more. I originally had Operetta from Monster High. I really loved some of the names the Monster High characters had, like Draculara, Cleo De Nile and Clawdeen.

• Brohoof 1

My name is Katie and it fits me. I look like a Katie (I’m just assuming what a Katie looks like; they’re seldom seen in the wild). It’s easy to spell and can be turned into a wide variety of nicknames. So I wouldn’t want to change that.

• Party! 1

Moments ago, Dreambiscuit said:

My name is Katie and it fits me. I look like a Katie (I’m just assuming what a Katie looks like; they’re seldom seen in the wild). It’s easy to spell and can be turned into a wide variety of nicknames. So I wouldn’t want to change that.

It's a dream, Katie. :wub:

I have always thought about changing my name.