Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Are Your Thoughts on Steampunk?

Essence

12 hours ago, Thuja said:

This is pretty much what I think of when someone mentions steampunk.

It has gone this far huh?

Steampunk is not my thing.

10 hours ago, Splashee said:

It has gone this far huh?

Unfortunately, not much has changed for the genre since this video was released.  Not really into steampunk personally but whenever someone mentions it I automatically think of this song lol.

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Thuja said:

Unfortunately, not much has changed for the genre since this video was released.  Not really into steampunk personally but whenever someone mentions it I automatically think of this song lol.

I like it when videos like this becomes popular so that the issues can be caught early on.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh god, oh no, oh god....

I just realized quantum computers are steampunk...:
Quantum_Computer_Zurich.jpg

Just do an image search. Really, it cannot get more steampunk than this!

(edited)

Victorian fashion accented shining copper pipes and whirring gears?

Yes PLEASE. I love the aesthetic so much. Only Clockpunk can top it in appeal for me!

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Victorian fashion accented shining copper pipes and whirring gears?

Yes PLEASE. I love the aesthetic so much. Only Clockpunk can top it in appeal for me!

Searches for Clockpunk (You better have research that word!)

Wow it was something.

Well I like clocks. I don't like steam that much....

10 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Searches for Clockpunk (You better have research that word!)

Wow it was something. Well I like clocks. I don't like steam that much....

Yup. Similar concept to steampunk, but with more gears and clockwork tech, and an emphasis on Renaissance inventions and Rococo styles.

1 hour ago, ShadOBabe said:

Yup. Similar concept to steampunk, but with more gears and clockwork tech, and an emphasis on Renaissance inventions and Rococo styles.

It's almost impossible to come up with a new name for something. I was thinking Steamfunk, but no. Google didn't like that a bit.

Have to check every word, because on the Internet there are inappropriate names all over the place. :BornAgainBrony:

(edited)

Obsession with gears and Victorian fashion. :grin: People, it's just a form of science fiction

All of those tropes is technically true. 

Edited by RDDash
Extra

I really don't care much for it. I prefer straight-up medieval fantasy, rather than contraptions with tons of gears and steam coming out of everything. It doesn't help that I consider the Industrial Revolution IRL an incredibly boring part of history, thanks to high school just going on and on and on about it. The one steampunk thing I actually like is this one restaurant/bar/whatever it actually is in Gothenburg, Sweden, because they've got great burgers and really fancy brightly colored drinks with dry-ice in them to make them smoke. Great place.

(edited)

I like speculative fiction in general, but that's because of the potential to speculate about how things might work in a very different world from our own, and how that would have tangible impacts on the way stories unfold in that world. So when a fantasy/sci-fi work appears to have put no more thought into the setting than "we're doing swords and sorcery" or "we're doing present day plus robots", a lot of my enthusiasm evaporates.

Steampunk is one of those subgenres that in my experience is at just the right popularity level where it usually is a decent indicator that the author/artist/whatever put some serious thought into their setting and made something I'll find really interesting, but of course there are exceptions. Cyberpunk is in a similar place. Medieval european usually indicates the opposite, but I've been pleasantly surprised plenty of times. I don't have any strong opinions on steampunk relative to all the other subgenres defined by which branch of the tech tree your fictional world went down; they're all awesome when done well.

Where MLP fits into this is interesting. The show's tech levels are all over the place, presumably because having tons of magic makes them less interested in pursuing certain kinds of technology (which is exactly the sort of thing I love to dig into), but the show tends to avoid explaining this aspect of the setting so it's hard to tell how much was intentional. The one big exception is weather/season manipulation, which it does go into quite a bit of detail about, and I loved all of that.

Now the real question is... how many gears must one glue onto Twilight before she becomes a steampunk pony? :D

Edited by Ixrec