Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Simple Question VERY Simple Did My Little Pony The Movie Fail At The Box Office Yes Or No

TwilightSparkleAndAJ

To answer the question of why I don't think 20 million is a good ideal for a budget is simple.

#1: It was done in house... Thus the animation costs are basically only slightly over what 4.5 episodes would cost.

#2: Its not a CGI movie.

#3: Because, the people who we have actually listened to that should know how much the movie costs say that the budget should be no more then 5-8 million. It would be like arguing with a doctor because a plumber tells you that your heart is fine. - I don't care what the plumber has to say.

#4: Hasbro has not actually told us how much the movie costs. And most likely will not. but they are a publicly traded company, they MUST tell us how much they lose / wake. And there animation studio is alone on the book keeping. They will tell us when they do there stock holder meeting how much they have made or lost.

17 hours ago, blackstarraven said:

And most likely will not. but they are a publicly traded company, they MUST tell us how much they lose / wake.

Actually, they don't ... at least not in the way you think. SEC regulation still allows for critical accounting judgments to be passed through to material disclosure in future reporting. I read 10-K's and 10-Q's for light reading. Though Part V: Item 15 may contain evidence of associated cost of the film, though its calculation may come to a figure that is not what the layperson would consider a budget accounting to make the film. 

And there are more creative ways at playing with the numbers. Question, does Hasbro Studios count as a reverse merger? Did they do an IPO? 

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2017 at 4:21 PM, Jeric said:

Actually, they don't ... at least not in the way you think. SEC regulation still allows for critical accounting judgments to be passed through to material disclosure in future reporting. I read 10-K's and 10-Q's for light reading. Though Part V: Item 15 may contain evidence of associated cost of the film, though its calculation may come to a figure that is not what the layperson would consider a budget accounting to make the film. 

And there are more creative ways at playing with the numbers. Question, does Hasbro Studios count as a reverse merger? Did they do an IPO? 

Ya. Knew all that.

But that's kind of what I was talking about.

Sooner or later we will get a pretty good account of how much the movie costed.

13 hours ago, Jeric said:

So ... do they count as a reverse merger under SEC regs? Enlighten me. 

OK so now you have moved from a light parsing of how Corporations work to a clear "Gotcha question." -Which I'm actually fine with-

To answer the question as best I can.

-

Hasbro to MY Knowledge. Was never purchased by a private company as a public company for the reason of skipping the SEC regulations of going public. (Which can take a while, and skips the process of IPO)

So No. I don't think Hasbro has ever preformed a Reverse Merger.

-

Mind you.. I'm a informed stock holder. Not a expert of corporate law. I'm some one who works in a economically based job.. not a economist.

-

My biggest contention (getting back to the discussion at hand) That there is no way the 4chan price tag is correct is simple...

I work in "the industry" for a... mouse based company.

And if Hasbro payed (In house mind you) That much for this movie, they over paid by a GREAT deal.

The licensing for toonboom, salary (It was in house so they didn't actually pay extra for the animation and voice actors from the show)

-

The (Basically four and a half episode long) Movie should have costed at the VERY most no more then a season of the show.

And we actually know how much the seasons have costed (Not super exactly because we don't know what is and is not included in those figures)
But the simple answer is about 5 million a season for every season past the first. (That's Canadian Dollars)

With a bit of the extra expenses simply put. There is no way that what amount to 4.5 episodes of this show should cost more then 20 episodes of the flash show. Because again it was all done in house.

-

Disney could have made this for less then 8-9 million. I'm willing to except that they might have had to go a bit higher. Maybe 10-12 Million.. But Honestly I don't even think that high I think we are looking at LESS then 8 million.

But again that's not including Merchandising buy in, advertisement, distribution and so on. With all that in there MAYBE it reaches the 4chan level. But at that point, you should not be comparing it to the box office take.

-

That's my point. And its all pretty well grounded and based in pretty solid reasoning. The only counter i have gotten so far from anyone is "4Chan Leak" Which as I have said has way more questions then answers involved.

Hasbro has stated they are very happy with the outcome of the movie. (Because lets face is, they never really thought that GEN 4 would be there most lucrative property in... more or less the companies history) It accounts for over 1/4th there company income at this point. And while some parts of it (Looking at you Eqestria girls) toy sales have not done so well. The show proper has actually seen a up tick in toy sales.

-

I would actually have a discussion about the concept of Hasbro looking at other ways to produce the show/movie after they end the show. (Because one thing you learn from pop culture in the age of the internet... Fandoms this size, never actually end...)

On 11/1/2017 at 4:19 PM, Denim&Venom said:

Not so simple actually. 

It failed in drawing praise from critics and in drawing a sizable number of viewers.

It succeeded in pleasing fans & general audiences, and in turning a profit for it's creators.

It all depends on context. 

Reasons for this I'd assume:

It failed drawing praise from critics because the story was flimsy at best and gave no real exposition on our main villain and why he is supposed to be a threat. Not to mention the feeble explanation of Tempests turn.
It did however manage to fool enough children, and unfortunately some adults by dazzling with great animation to mask a half-baked story-line and character set-up.

I did go see it, because I was truly excited and yes, I enjoyed myself for entertainment's sake, and I did go with friends to make it more enjoyable, I think watching it again, and by myself, really did highlight how overrated it was. Visually it is stunning. But you aren't fooling me, Hasbro, it's nothing else than that. No sturdy story, no great character backstory/exposition/development, and a celebrity song plug. Marketing. Plain and simple. 

Edited by Momento Mori

• 2 weeks later...

As a final statement from Hasbro by the way.

They stated that the Budget to the movie was "Modest"

More or less made fun of the 35 million dollar rumor and stated that the movie had "Already returned the investment they made on it several times."

• Brohoof 1

Earning on movies actually have very little to do with the total amount of money it makes.

If I spend 5 million on a movie and make 50. I made ten times my money back.

-

And it preformed in over all box office as well as other movies of the year that no one calls bad earners.

The Smurfs
Tigger Movie
An Amaerican Tail
The land before time
The road to el dorado
Hoodwinked
Soutpark

Area all examples (Some of them made more when adjusted for inflation)

-

The only reason any one ever considered calling it a bad earner or a flop was because of the stupid 4chan "Leak" Which was/is stupid.

Sure this movie that was made in house by salaried production company cost six times more then a season of the show... sure.

-

The movie most likely costed about as much as a season of the show. And mostly because of paying guest actors. Which is to say 5.5 to 7 Million. Everyone in the industry states that's about how much it costed. And I have gotten no indication that they are wrong.

Hasbro has stated it made "Several times its cost"

So for a movie it actually did very well. (They shoot for x2.5 return)

-

It did well enough that they have up frunted money for a second movie to be places between Gen 4 and Gen.. (I'm still saying 4.5, but Sure Gen 5 if people want to call it that)

On 1/12/2018 at 7:08 AM, blackstarraven said:

Earning on movies actually have very little to do with the total amount of money it makes.

If I spend 5 million on a movie and make 50. I made ten times my money back.

-

And it preformed in over all box office as well as other movies of the year that no one calls bad earners.

The Smurfs
Tigger Movie
An Amaerican Tail
The land before time
The road to el dorado
Hoodwinked
Soutpark

Area all examples (Some of them made more when adjusted for inflation)

-

The only reason any one ever considered calling it a bad earner or a flop was because of the stupid 4chan "Leak" Which was/is stupid.

Sure this movie that was made in house by salaried production company cost six times more then a season of the show... sure.

-

The movie most likely costed about as much as a season of the show. And mostly because of paying guest actors. Which is to say 5.5 to 7 Million. Everyone in the industry states that's about how much it costed. And I have gotten no indication that they are wrong.

Hasbro has stated it made "Several times its cost"

So for a movie it actually did very well. (They shoot for x2.5 return)

-

It did well enough that they have up frunted money for a second movie to be places between Gen 4 and Gen.. (I'm still saying 4.5, but Sure Gen 5 if people want to call it that)

However, these recent leaks apparently shows the cost for the movie where way higher. :huh:

On 1/13/2018 at 9:41 PM, Steve Piranha said:

However, these recent leaks apparently shows the cost for the movie where way higher. :huh:

~Sigh~

That's actually what I had been referring to.

Look, I hate to be that guy.

But the leaks in general have about a 50/50 record.

I have said many times at this point, I don't actually agree with or believe the leaks when they state that the movie costed (Something like 30 million dollars)
That would mean they paid Salaried workers who where already in house, to use a program I can buy for about $1200 to make a movie that was 4.5 longer then a episode to a show that costs 5.5 million for 22 episodes.

That's the thing, They didn't need to pay the crew anything extra. The only additional cost to the movie was the increased time to draw it. And the pay for the guest stars.

And if they had to pay the 4-5 people that where extra 25-27 million? That would make those people the best paid actors in hollywood (Some of them anyways)

-

If the leak is correct in its 25 million figure. Then I will assume it is talking about the ENTIRE cost of the movie. (That I would believe)

As in production, distribution, marketing, merchandising production and DVD printing.

But if your going to count that then you pretty much are nit-picking, because the figure that we have for the box office take would need to include things like the uptick in merchandising. The Movie only Mearch, the DVD sales (Which have not started yet I don't think) And the streaming deals.

-

A simply way to look at it is this.

No one makes a movie to lose money.

In the movie industry companies more or less say they want at least twice there money on return. (2.5+ is considered good) Hasbro stated they expected a total return of box office of about 30 million.

No one expects to break even on movies....

They also said they where very pleased with the 52.8 million they got in returns.

They where a bit surprised by the lower then expected domestic return, but then overseas where higher.

-

As another note... which leak, we now have two sperate leaks I am aware of on the budget, both giving different figures.