Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Jeric

So I see that MLPF has the an Awards system now. I'm not sure if this is iAwards from InvisionHQ, so I don't want to assume the features at the staff's disposal, but I'm personally curious if this is something staff will be rolling out anytime in the near future.

For those that don't know, the Awards add-on offers way of offering either basic or custom achievements/trophy's for specific actions as set by administration. Imagine the gamification of MLPF's social elements for the benefit of the community. Actions like putting on a profile photo, posting in specific areas, posting deer jokes on @PathfinderCS profile, commenting on blogs, creating blogs, etc ... could be awarded with ... well ... icons that are awards which are displayable on a users profile and/or posts.

If they also have the Automation Rules extension they would be able to create conditions to automate the unlocking of various awards/achievements/trophies. 

I think this might be a decent idea worth developing further, especially if all the pieces are already installed. 

• Brohoof 12

The first MLP forum I joined used "trophies" akin to viewing another user's profile, setting a profile pic, etc. Basically things to get set up with the community, and comfortable moving around the forum. Then the other "trophies" were essentially the ranks that we already use here on these Forums. So I think, at the very least, a "get to know the community" series of badges would be beneficial. 

Beyond that -- I think I saw that we've started giving badges as awards for Forums contests? If so, I'm a fan and will start writing a lot more. ;)

Edited by Kolth
  • Brohoof 1

Feh, "Achievement Points" that basically amount to nothing? I'm getting Warcraft flashbacks over here.

Still though, would help to direct newcomers or the oblivious *cough* to things they didn't know they could even do on the forums. Aaand I'm not gonna complain about extra attention being fed my way. So, I'm like... 85% convinced its a good idea?

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

posting deer jokes on @PathfinderCS profile,

Oh, didn't realize that was tradition among these here parts! Good to know, Good to Knooow~~*

• Brohoof 1

29 minutes ago, Foxy Socks said:

It sounds cool, but I don't know about it being on this forum. It seems a bit random and unnecessary. It definitely could work out, but I don't know if it belongs on a forum. 

Curiously, I built something very similar to this extension for my phpBB Star Wars RP Forum. Instead of 'awards' it was actually loot and gear that would modify a characters stats (I had basic PvP and PvE random battle elements and mechanics in the RP parts of the forum). 

This was back in 2004 too. @_@

Anyway, one can get fairly creative with how they could apply this feature. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Jeric said:

Curiously, I built something very similar to this extension for my phpBB Star Wars RP Forum. Instead of 'awards' it was actually loot and gear that would modify a characters stats (I had basic PvP and PvE random battle elements and mechanics in the RP parts of the forum). 

This was back in 2004 too. @_@

Anyway, one can get fairly creative with how they could apply this feature. 

Perhaps, though this is more of a normal discussion type forum, not sure how it would be.

2 minutes ago, Foxy Socks said:

Perhaps, though this is more of a normal discussion type forum, not sure how it would be.

It's a psychological element of UX that is heavily studied. Using incentives and individual curiosity to promote product usage. Forums are starting to employ more and more social media elements, and as as the progenitor of shared content platforms, it is about time. Similarly, it makes sense to use the same base methodology that has proven to work. If not overused, the extrinsic can feed the intrinsic. It's those that don't heed that truism that find the extrinsic actually decreases the intrinsic. 

When you understand the psychology and neurology, the application of various UX strategies almost comes naturally. Even in a feature laden discussion focused site. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Red Cedar said:

Unforunately, this sounds like another opportunity for cronyism to me.

It does! That was my mysterious secret plan all along ... to make the popular kids more popular and keep the others eating their Thanksgiving turkey at the little kids table all alone. But you uncovered my plot with your clever use of a internet and talk radio buzz word!

edd3781407665a2271f1919b88a7464e88f41c0f

Salt aside, bias can be avoided by applying automation which by definition cannot be considered cronyism (since it would be earned irrespective of favoritism), and I included that in the OP, plus stated how this could be applied in some RP's using the same fair automation model. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Red Cedar said:

Yes, and sarcasm totally assuages my concerns.

It should. My sarcasm is like silk baby. It seduces all the people! 

Free-Tom-Hiddleston-Image.jpg

I meet cynicism with a pretty polished mirror, and do it with a modicum of respect. I also have to add that both of us have a knack for publicly addressing concerns with staff. I am certainly nobody's mouthpiece. I may be blunt with my concerns, but I also promote ideas that could be massaged into this site's framework to provide a better experience for some members. The optimist in me strives for a more balanced and nuanced approach than screaming about corrupted staff and looking like this guy ... 

giphy.gif

Where there is a concern, there is a solution. Both the Awards and Automation extensions could be used to creatively give various areas of MLPF new life, make new users transition easier, and just be fun and functional. 

On 2-11-2017 at 4:28 AM, Jeric said:

So I see that MLPF has the an Awards system now. I'm not sure if this is iAwards from InvisionHQ, so I don't want to assume the features at the staff's disposal, but I'm personally curious if this is something staff will be rolling out anytime in the near future.

For those that don't know, the Awards add-on offers way of offering either basic or custom achievements/trophy's for specific actions as set by administration. Imagine the gamification of MLPF's social elements for the benefit of the community. Actions like putting on a profile photo, posting in specific areas, posting deer jokes on @PathfinderCS profile, commenting on blogs, creating blogs, etc ... could be awarded with ... well ... icons that are awards which are displayable on a users profile and/or posts.

If they also have the Automation Rules extension they would be able to create conditions to automate the unlocking of various awards/achievements/trophies. 

I think this might be a decent idea worth developing further, especially if all the pieces are already installed. 

Wouldn't it make sense to get an award for helping this Forum too? Like giving advice, or something like that. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, A Honorable Mentioned Hierok said:

Wouldn't it make sense to get an award for helping this Forum too? Like giving advice, or something like that. 

I can see this used for both Life Advice and Site Questions, absolutely! Many people here pop in and answer SQ all the time and it would be a small way to recognize that. 

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I can see this used for both Life Advice and Site Questions, absolutely! Many people here pop in and answer SQ all the time and it would be a small way to recognize that. 

Exactly. And not only reconized by quantity, but also quality.

It really depends on how it would be implemented and balanced. Leaving popularity-aspects aside (as mentioned above, these could be used as fair-to-get achievements), if it will end up in 20 shiny badges under each user in their posts, it will look just bad. The more awards there will be, the more spammy and less meaningful they'll become. :twi: Personally I'm not sure if that would be really necessary here, but if you have non-invasive ideas for that, I won't complain. :derp: Well, if these would be shown only in profile pages, then I guess that wouldn't cause any harm.

This might be a good idea if this is tied in with good behavior. We once had a discussion on trying to find an incentive on increasing good behavior and to try and demonstrate for others to follow such paths (the idea of reward for doing the right thing over the idea of punishment for doing the wrong thing (sociology)). 

If this can incentivize people to show good behavior and inspire others to do so, I think this could be a great idea. 

On 11/5/2017 at 6:29 AM, JonasDarkmane said:

This might be a good idea if this is tied in with good behavior. We once had a discussion on trying to find an incentive on increasing good behavior and to try and demonstrate for others to follow such paths (the idea of reward for doing the right thing over the idea of punishment for doing the wrong thing (sociology)). 

If this can incentivize people to show good behavior and inspire others to do so, I think this could be a great idea. 

A system like this would be even more open to abuse by staff.

Then, by all means, please demonstrate for us how it would be so :).

To be fair, any system is open to abuse by people with access to it, and even some who don't. For a society or community to thrive, some trust has to be granted to those who make decisions. 

Think about this ... literally the only thing standing in the way between me continuing to type this or being banned is the decency of the staff. There are no laws, no rules that prevent them from doing so. Sure there are easy ways to avoid that fate that are controllable by me ... if I carry myself as I am in the real world ... genuine, genial, respectful, and (most of the time) friendly. In the end though, my fate as a continued member here is completely in their hands. 

In general some personalities tend be naturally distrustful, cynical, and unforgiving, but those are outliers here. It would be a shame to not allow feature improvements because of an outlier in staff or within the user community. 

But maybe dats jus me doe!

As far a behavior monitor, personally ... I would be more in favor of an automated approach to start. Something completely fair that limits bias. Then ... see where it goes. I can see a benefit for receiving a kudos for valued members status that hasn't received warning points or what have you in a set amount of time. A bit more biased, but not anywhere near as much as just randomly awarding "good behavior trophies". While I don't believe that would lead to abuse, I do believe it would lead to people being overlooked. 

Anyway, this thread has given the staff and tech peeps a lot to read and review so if they do like the idea it's something that can used and refined as they feel would he best applied. If they don't think it's a good idea, this thread at least showcases that some in the community are interested in something like this ... 

Feedback is always about this sort of thing. 

I am a forum owner, and I use an award system. However, that forum is technical in nature, so the 'medals' are for the most part used to recognize a member's skill or knowledge in a IRL field. I also award for merit (like good greeters, welcomers) and of course achievements. The awards are given at my own and my admin's discretion, most of which are started my nomination by another member.

But we only have about 200 active members.

This forums is so large I wouldn't even know where to start...

Therefore, my two cents would be 1) automated awards (so no one has to deal with it manually) and tongue-in-cheek awards (best brohoofer, fashion thrower, Pinkie approved, etc) that admins/mods can dole out for fun.

Fun is always paramount - Fun First!

• Brohoof 3