Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

First 4 Equestria Girls Series Shorts are up

SaburoDaimando

At the rate they're going with releasing these like they are, we're bound to get all of them or most of them at the very least before the year is over. Of the four shown here, I cringed at the one involving Fluttershy and Trixie, A Little Birdie Told me. I just knew what was going to happen and it made me feel very uncomfortable so I don't think I'll watch that one again any time soon. It was actually Trixie and the entire setup that made me cringe with Fluttershy being a positive point. Oh, and who could ignore Cranky Doodle?

The Super Squad one was my favourite mainly because of the comic book styled still scenes that were seen throughout the short, and we now see how they change into their outfits from Legend of Everfree. Both this one and Display of Affection showcase Sunset's artistic skills though she refrains from wanting to become famous because of it. Quite the display of humility, something she needed to learn when she ignored it during her years as being Celestia's student in Equestria.

My Little Shop of Horrors... Celestia is confirmed as having a green thumb and we got to see wild Equestrian magic causing some trouble. Who knew that flowers could become quite the singers but then this has been done in other cartoons so I shouldn't be surprised.

• Brohoof 4

50 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

At the rate they're going with releasing these like they are, we're bound to get all of them or most of them at the very least before the year is over. Of the four shown here, I cringed at the one involving Fluttershy and Trixie, A Little Birdie Told me. I just knew what was going to happen and it made me feel very uncomfortable so I don't think I'll watch that one again any time soon. It was actually Trixie and the entire setup that made me cringe with Fluttershy being a positive point. Oh, and who could ignore Cranky Doodle?

The Super Squad one was my favourite mainly because of the comic book styled still scenes that were seen throughout the short, and we now see how they change into their outfits from Legend of Everfree. Both this one and Display of Affection showcase Sunset's artistic skills though she refrains from wanting to become famous because of it. Quite the display of humility, something she needed to learn when she ignored it during her years as being Celestia's student in Equestria.

My Little Shop of Horrors... Celestia is confirmed as having a green thumb and we got to see wild Equestrian magic causing some trouble. Who knew that flowers could become quite the singers but then this has been done in other cartoons so I shouldn't be surprised.

In my little shop of horrors, normally a human would freak out if a plant is all of a sudden, talking, much less singing

7 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

I love how the thief in Super Squad Goals is credited as "Theif" :D 

According to the credits for "The Finals Countdown", there is a character called "Flutterhy". :D

Spoiler

I watched the last four shorts and thought they were pretty good, though I preferred the previous three. "Display of Affection" was my favorite of these, followed by "Super Squad Goals". Sunset had quite significant roles this time, and she seems to be a great artist. :) Cranky Doodle's appearance was a slight surprise for me.

• Brohoof 4

4 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

According to the credits for "The Finals Countdown", there is a character called "Flutterhy". :D

Reveal hidden contents

I watched the last four shorts and thought they were pretty good, though I preferred the previous three. "Display of Affection" was my favorite of these, followed by "Super Squad Goals". Sunset had quite significant roles this time, and she seems to be a great artist. :) Cranky Doodle's appearance was a slight surprise for me.

We did saw him in the friendship games however had no speaking dialogue also sunset being an Artist? I kinda like it

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Cahead2015 said:

In my little shop of horrors, normally a human would freak out if a plant is all of a sudden, talking, much less singing

But then, since Sci-Twi is familiar with magic, seeing plants suddenly break out into song isn't anything to be afraid of. When they get larger, demand more water, and generally become more aggressive, then you can start being afraid.

• Brohoof 3

14 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

But then, since Sci-Twi is familiar with magic, seeing plants suddenly break out into song isn't anything to be afraid of. When they get larger, demand more water, and generally become more aggressive, then you can start being afraid.

I meant a common human

23 hours ago, Cahead2015 said:

It was shout out to this

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Cahead2015 said:

I meant a common human

If a common human saw what Sci-Twi and Applejack witnessed, their reactions would vary depending on their mental state.

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

My favorite of this batch had to be Super Squad Goals.

I'd pick that & "Display of Affection" as my two favorites for this set of EQG shorts. 

"Super Squad Goals" comic book parody art style was awesome & the ending to "Display of Affection" was really sweet. 

Does the theme song go "You are my Equestria Girls"? That doesn't make much sense. 

Anyway: these are mostly delightful. Didn't love all of them, but I feel like they continue the Summertime Shorts' trend of expanding upon the world with charm and humour, and they even feel a bit less thin than most of those summer shorts did. Maybe I just find these refreshing after season 7 disappointed me so much, or maybe my standards were lowered after the godawful "Magic" specials and all the outsourced nonsense, but this is a solid foundation. 3 minutes is a bit short, but these use time more efficiently than anything My Little Pony has in years. And hey, I'm glad we got to see Zephyr again. 

Anyway, favourites so far:

"School of Rock" (Maud is the best)

"The Finals Countdown" / "My Little Shop of Horrors" (as always, the songs are great)

"Display of Affection" (almost like a strong miniature episode of the show, plus Sunset Banksy)

"A Little Birdie Told Me" (Badass Fluttershy might just be Best Fluttershy)

"Super Squad Goals" (Perfect length for a lightweight comics homage. Plus, comic artist Sunset is brilliant.)

• Brohoof 4

6 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

It was shout out to this

I had no idea that the title was referencing that movie!

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I'd pick that & "Display of Affection" as my two favorites for this set of EQG shorts. 

"Super Squad Goals" comic book parody art style was awesome & the ending to "Display of Affection" was really sweet. 

Would you believe, that art style was from double rainboom(fan-made episode)?

• 2 weeks later...

These shorts have been pretty fun for the most part, unfortunately I was really hoping longer, full-fledged episodes(and I reaaaaallly hope this will actually come to fruition some day), and some of these plots could really benefit from that. Overpowered is probably the biggest disappointment from this, an episode about the girls' powers going haywire and them learning to control it sounds like a fantastic idea, but not only the fact that not really much was done about it, but the fact that the writers defaulted to "lol lets blame it on Rainbow Dash" once again, you know, the route everyone and their fucking mom usually hates, is fucking frustrating(and let's throw a shitty cameo of one of the most despised characters in the series for good measure)

Not to say they haven't done a good job with these, Star-Crossed, as cheesy and dorky as it is, is actually making me like TimberTwi a lot more, I'm finding them adorable together, Super Squad Goals is fun as fuck, Pinkie Sitter is adorable, and I love A Fine Line due to how relatable it is

Edited by Whompy Whomperson
  • Brohoof 3

I like that they are embracing a variable length format, so they can give the story only the amount of runtime it needs - no more, no less. But the fact is, we have gotten used to the depth of story of FiM in the 22 minute format, and really to have any equal depth, the EqG eps need to push past the ten minute mark, while most currently seem to struggle to pass 3. I can just hope they have queued up all the shortest ones first....

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

I like that they are embracing a variable length format, so they can give the story only the amount of runtime it needs - no more, no less. But the fact is, we have gotten used to the depth of story of FiM in the 22 minute format, and really to have any equal depth, the EqG eps need to push past the ten minute mark, while most currently seem to struggle to pass 3. I can just hope they have queued up all the shortest ones first....

Considering if they this series goes well, they'll make another one, with 22 min episodes, being the difference that is.

On 11/2/2017 at 5:29 PM, Midnight Blaze 98 said:

They were all fun, but I was expecting 20 minute episodes with a bit more of a plot. Hopefully the later ones will be!

probably not, its impossible for a equestria girls thing to be more than 30 minutes unlease its a movie

On 11/19/2017 at 10:03 AM, Kiryu-Chan said:

These shorts have been pretty fun for the most part, unfortunately I was really hoping longer, full-fledged episodes(and I reaaaaallly hope this will actually come to fruition some day), and some of these plots could really benefit from that. Overpowered is probably the biggest disappointment from this, an episode about the girls' powers going haywire and them learning to control it sounds like a fantastic idea, but not only the fact that not really much was done about it, but the fact that the writers defaulted to "lol lets blame it on Rainbow Dash" once again, you know, the route everyone usually hates, is fucking frustrating(and let's throw a shitty cameo of one of the most despised characters in the series for good measure)

Not to say they haven't done a good job with these, Star-Crossed, as cheesy and dorky as it is, is actually making me like TimberTwi a lot more, I'm finding them adorable together, Super Squad Goals is fun as fuck, Pinkie Sitter is adorable, and I love A Fine Line due to how relatable it is

I so totally agree about the length thing. Overpowered literally felt like a cold open to a larger story.

What confuses me is that K. Hadley said the lengths will vary, and yet we've seen nothing of the sort yet. So, I can't help but question, when will they start to vary and what will the max length be?

18 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

I so totally agree about the length thing. Overpowered literally felt like a cold open to a larger story.

What confuses me is that K. Hadley said the lengths will vary, and yet we've seen nothing of the sort yet. So, I can't help but question, when will they start to vary and what will the max length be?

Hopefully 10 minutes, if any