Banner by ~ Rikifive

Are high school friendships meaningless?

There are low quality friends that yes, you will lose- but if they're not quality friends, don't stress it. However, not all high school friendships are meaningless. There are the few you will find that will be the closest people you have, and I couldn't imagine losing them. Even if you end up going to different colleges, try to hang out with them sometimes. The ones who are there for you and make you feel loved and welcomed are keepers.

I'm prepared to lose a good 90% of my friends after high school, but I already have loose connections to them as I don't care for them or their friends much because of who they choose to hang out with and they're relatively immature. I do have a few that I absolutely cherish and I am not going to allow those friendships to fade even after it's no longer just convenient to be around them. They're the ones who showed me the light when I was recovering from a tough spot in life and those friendships are definitely not meaningless.

Don't expect to keep all your friends, but hang on to those who mean the most to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Register now to remove this ad.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd say it is unwise. A lot of things about high school are meaningless. Friends aren't one of them, as they are one of the few things that could stay with you through out life. It doesn't have t

So here comes good ol Jeric to dispense with his experience that tends to nullify an OP by showcasing an example of my life disproving that the OP's assertion is a truism, while highlighting an amazin

Nope.  One of my good friends is a friend I've had since high school.  Granted, I don't see anyone else from high school anymore unless I just happen to run into them, which given where I live just ne

Somewhat. By the time people leave, they'll probably have one or two friends that will keep in contact all the time, a few will probably have them on social media and occasionally say "Hi" or "Happy Birthday" and the rest will probably just be a silent Facebook friend, or they'll probably never hear from them again. Experiences differ from person to person; they could all stay friends or they could all disappear.

They always say the meaningful friendships are when you start working. School friends are mostly temporary, but co-workers are friends for life.

• 1 month later...

They're only meaningless if you find your friendships with them meaningless. A lot of my high school friends, about 95% of them probably don't even remember who I'am. Though that 5% I'm still close with, I talk with them occasionally. I actually have plans on moving in with one of them, though we've known each other since before high school.

• Yay 1

• 3 weeks later...

When i graduated high school in 2014, I literally had no one but, of course, i technically had no one to begin with so...

I use to have a chat buddy but, they turned rotten after graduation. meh

Badges

Depends really how much contact you maintain after you go your separate ways. Some people make the effort, others don't. For me I value some my high school friends just as much as I did back then, but others I don't. It's all down to whether life gets in the way :derp:

58 minutes ago, Raritas said:

Depends really how much contact you maintain after you go your separate ways. Some people make the effort, others don't. For me I value some my high school friends just as much as I did back then, but others I don't. It's all down to whether life gets in the way :derp:

I agree with Raritas here. The 'friends' I made in high school didn't last. Even someone I considered a best friend, whom I had known for the majority of my childhood utterly dumped me as a friend because I wasn't a Christian and wasn't "saved". After all the years we were friends, it didn't make a lick of difference to them, but as they got older they got brainwashed by religion and felt that they no longer wanted to be well.. "a good christian" and love me no matter what. Ya know "thou shalt not judge" and all that, part of the 10 Commandments, but hey, whatever.

Other friends just didn't make the effort, and to be honest, you're a different person in high school than when you go into college or graduate college and become an adult. Some people keep their friendships because the relationships grow with them, but sometimes...you outgrow those friends.

Badges

They aren’t meaningless in a sense. There are literally only 2 people from high school I even regularly talk to and I went to 3 high schools. I had friends and still see their stuff on social media, but I don’t actually talk to them. Not because I don’t like them, it’s just neither of us put forth that effort to keep in touch. 

You learn a lot socially in high school. Honestly I don’t see much of a difference college wise and that’s coming from a third year student. Relationships are never pointless, but you can’t expect to stay in touch with everyone. It just isn’t reality. 

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends on your experience with them. Many people here have probably had good experiences.

However, I wasn't so fortunate, so to me they're 100% pointless.

Edited by Panzy, Scoffer of Rings

High school friendships are the stepping stones to friendships in every other corner of the world. They allow us to learn how to treat people, and how to present ourselves. They may even teach us things we couldn't have learned on our own! All friendships are valuable, in all stages of life. I might not see many of my highschool friends after graduating this year, but I don't regret knowing them, and I hope that they (and I) go on to find new friends in our futures. :fluttershy:

It boils down what kind of friendship you had with them. No friendship is meaningless as long as it’s a positive one. The friendships you make early on help you make new ones later in life. I haven’t talked with anyone I was friends with in high school nor have I gone to any reunions. 

I personally haven't kept in touch with any of my high school friends and I don't consider that a bad thing.

I would not say that it's meaningless, though.  You certainly can make the the most important relationships of your life in high school but that doesn't happen for everyone.

It's up to you what you want to make of those friendships and it will probably take some time to get a proper perspective for them

I don’t see any of my high school friends anymore, although there’s one I’d be happy hitting up if ever the chance is given. I became more and more distant overtime with friends in college that I knew in college.

Are high school friendships pointless? Well, in the long run, yes they are. The chances of a friendship at such a point in your life remaining relevant once you go to university is highly unlikely.

That being said, it would also be pointless not to have them. Considering how much pair-work, team-work, and general social activity is involved in almost any form of school, refusing to have friends on the principle of them being pointless just makes life a great deal more difficult for you. 

A very wise individual once gave my mother an ingenious piece of advice, who then subsequently passed it on to me. Though it may sound callous, when it comes to any form of social area, just use people. High school friendships are like wearing a coat whenever it's cold outside. Yes, you can technically survive without it/them, and you can go off of the philosophy that even if you get sick, you'll eventually recover, therefore making the coat pointless, but simply wearing said coat will prevent any feelings of discomfort from occurring in the first place, therefore rendering any sort of conundrum unnecessary.:grin:

So, in short, kind of but kind of...not.:D 

• Brohoof 1

On 2018-03-02 at 8:04 PM, Nosotros. said:

Ok, I'm gonna get a little angry here, forgive me for that.

The way you phrased things, it makes me feel like you don't value friendship. If you think friendships are dispensable, then I'm afraid you need to change your attitude.

If there's one thing I've learned in high school, it's to make sure you get out there and make some friends. Tossing other people's feelings away like they're nothing isn't just being a bad friend. It's plain insensitive.

If you feel like you can just play with peoples' feelings like that, you're in for a rude awakening. No one will want to be friends with someone who doesn't value others' company.

And remember, bonds with other people should be cherished, because you don't know when you're going to lose them. Don't take friendship for granted.

I agree with the banished user. Friendships - especially those made in high school and college/university - are pretty much useless.

With the rise of social media, IRL friendships are obsolete. On-line, I can express my true thoughts and feelings - something I cannot do IRL, due to my poor social skills. Plus, one can very easily find someone on-line who has the same interests, morals, and beliefs (or lack thereof) as they do.

As a 19-year-old, I have officially put friendships on the backburner. I have more important things to focus on in life, such as financial issues and chasing my dreams until I finally catch them. Besides, as a writer, I have created many characters over the years, and a few of them I hold dear to my heart. Whenever I need advice on something, or if I need someone to talk to (and who understands me), then they are there. (And no, I do not hallucinate.) In my opinion, they are more interesting and more REAL than a lot of people out there.

If I had to choose between staying at home and reading a book or listening to a podcast/music, or going out and meeting a theoretical friend, I would always choose the former. I'm basically an antisocial a**hole. (Not that there is anything wrong with that!)

People honestly have to stop socially interacting (outside of jobs, stores, etc.) IRL, because on-line, if you get into an argument with someone, you can just block them or unfriend them.

Traditional friendships are kind of pointless. I mean, why increase your social skills and cause an immense amount of stress on yourself (if you're an introvert, like me) when you can just read a book and expand your knowledge?

Thank goodness I will be moving into my parents basement soon. I can finally listen to music, read and write books, listen to podcasts, etc. alone.

This depends on certain factors. Most of my high school friends have moved away from my area, and I hardly keep in touch with them after high school is over, but I wouldn't say its pointless since the experience has given me positive memories. Plus with social media sites like Facebook, I can connect with my old friends again. 

High school relationships, on the other hoof... 

On 3/2/2018 at 8:04 PM, Nosotros. said:

Ok, I'm gonna get a little angry here, forgive me for that.

The way you phrased things, it makes me feel like you don't value friendship. If you think friendships are dispensable, then I'm afraid you need to change your attitude.

If there's one thing I've learned in high school, it's to make sure you get out there and make some friends. Tossing other people's feelings away like they're nothing isn't just being a bad friend. It's plain insensitive.

If you feel like you can just play with peoples' feelings like that, you're in for a rude awakening. No one will want to be friends with someone who doesn't value others' company.

And remember, bonds with other people should be cherished, because you don't know when you're going to lose them. Don't take friendship for granted.

Can you tell me what about my post made you feel that way? 
I stated the bad run ins that were legitimate with my high school friends, and that they didn't make the effort. I certainly did, but you can't keep toxic people in your life. And it's true, in high school you can make lasting friendships but you can't deny that you are more immature at that age and sometimes, not all the time but SOMETIMES, friendships you make are based off of more shallow reasons. So therefore, as you get older and grow into who you are as a person, as an adult, sometimes you just grow apart. You end up going your separate ways because you do outgrow the friendship. You no longer have those things in common anymore. I would like to know how you think that mere observation, not to mention experience I have witnessed not only with myself but with what my friends now have said about their high school relationships makes me appear to be a terrible friend. 

Just because a friendship doesn't last, or you choose to let a toxic friend go, doesn't make you the bad guy. Not all friendships are forever. That doesn't mean they aren't important at the time, but some people serve their purpose in your life, as you do in theirs, then you move on. People come and go in your life, some have positive impact, some have negative. That's just life dear.

Do keep in mind, I am not angry, but perhaps you just didn't understand the tone of my message.

Edited by Momento Mori
Badges

7 hours ago, Momento Mori said:

Can you tell me what about my post made you feel that way? 
I stated the bad run ins that were legitimate with my high school friends, and that they didn't make the effort. I certainly did, but you can't keep toxic people in your life. And it's true, in high school you can make lasting friendships but you can't deny that you are more immature at that age and sometimes, not all the time but SOMETIMES, friendships you make are based off of more shallow reasons. So therefore, as you get older and grow into who you are as a person, as an adult, sometimes you just grow apart. You end up going your separate ways because you do outgrow the friendship. You no longer have those things in common anymore. I would like to know how you think that mere observation, not to mention experience I have witnessed not only with myself but with what my friends now have said about their high school relationships makes me appear to be a terrible friend. 

Just because a friendship doesn't last, or you choose to let a toxic friend go, doesn't make you the bad guy. Not all friendships are forever. That doesn't mean they aren't important at the time, but some people serve their purpose in your life, as you do in theirs, then you move on. People come and go in your life, some have positive impact, some have negative. That's just life dear.

Do keep in mind, I am not angry, but perhaps you just didn't understand the tone of my message.

Oh, I wasn’t responding to you. Heck, I didn’t even read your comment! My post was directed at the banished user.

Also, I was a little angry in real life when I made that post, too. I may have to just edit everything out, considering people keep responding to it like the way they are. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

*sigh* well, I think it is not meaningless, some of my roommates and classmates did help me getting through those hard days, only if that could stand longer... I didn't value friendship too much that time. 

It all depends, really. Some friendships have a way of standing the test of time... while others, unfortunately, don't. This can be said about any friendships; not just any High School related. :rarity:

I think it all depends on how much you stay in contact, if you want to at all.  I haven't seen anyone from high school in years, and quite frankly, don't miss them a bit.  

Badges

I do keep contact with most of my childhood friends, but HS.... what friends :dash:? They where toxic acquaintances at best, and horrible people in general. I don't want them in my life, thank you :D. The last thing I knew of them (about 8 years ago), was that 3 of the worst were jailed for brawling at a party  :D

It's hard for me to say I'm in my last few weeks of school before going to university so it's kinda hard to tell at the moment although I think my friends will forget about me