Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rate the Movie

Mortar

Greetings:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but for those who have i'd be interested in how you'd rate it on a scale of 1-5.  If you want to say why please don't give an spoilers.  I just want to get a feel for how it's going.

Have a good one.

• Brohoof 1

Probably a solid 3.5/5. I loved the animation, the feeling of adventure, most of the songs were great, and it had a wonderful ending. Open Up Your Eyes in particular was fantastic. Some of my issues were the lack of development for characters like Capper, I wasn't fond of the fake seapony hypogriphs, and Storm King didn't quite live up to his potential, which he had a lot of. All in all, far better than what the critics let on.

• Brohoof 5

4.5/5 for me.

53 minutes ago, Jade Fire said:

but starlight wasnt really in it

yeah.. that's true, I wish there was more than just that one fireworks scene and end credits. I remember starlight having a movie toy

• Brohoof 1

3/5 seems fair to me.

Animation sometimes jarring, but overall good.

Fantastic work by storyboard team on action and environmental humor.

Poor plot pacing and structure for first half, pretty good for second.

Character development leaves much undone, but peppered with a handful of standout moments.

Music and dialogue mostly quality

• Brohoof 2

8.5/10 for myself personally, but objectively I feel I must lower it to 7/10. I enjoyed it greatly as a fan, but for a brand new person going into it there'd be some slight plotholes or clunkiness (Compare how Unicron has no backstory or purpose in the original transformers movie, but going in with outside knowledge today, a fan wouldn't be bothered because of knowing unicorn's story already).

Plus, there's still the issue of the journey to get the hippogryphs not ultimately serving a purpose since they only gain like 6 new allies to storm the castle with, and lose twilight in the process.

• Brohoof 1

8.5/10

It's a very packed film for 99 minutes so the constraints of lack of development for the new characters (Storm King) is largely self-imposed. Fluttershy is severely under-utilized and Rarity contributes deceptively little. The narrative is really good but possesses  a few of the same weaknesses as the show. All the VAs, even the guest celebrity voices, give everything they've got, especially Twilight and Pinkie who give standout performances. The scope, dialogue and atmosphere are all polished but the pacing is very quick. The songs and animation itself are stunning and as I discovered upon rewatching the film, it is laden with surprising emotional poignancy throughout.

For some reason or another, it feels like something was being held back because with some fixes to the run time, this film could reach a 9/10 so I can hope for an extended edition.

Bottom line: It's a whole lot of fun with wit, charm, effort and depth with a seamless transition from the show and deserves to succeed far more than most of the animated fare this year that is unmissable for a fan but for a casual movie-goer, this film should place at 7.5-8.0/10.

Edited by ShadowPhoenix

3.5/5

The story is generic, many two-parters of the show had even better story, plot twist than this movie.

The songs, the V.As, soundtracks are incredible, they are already one of the show biggest strengths and they still true in the movie. All the songs are great, Daniel Ingram magic is strong in this movie. The show V.As still great as usual, the celebrities nailed their characters.

The visuals are nice but they are not totally 2D, some CGI animation just looks ... OK at best, i just wish they went full 2D, but it will be expensive, i guess. Character designs are good, really pleasant to watch, my only complain is the princesses design looks bad, i am glad they are captured so i dont have to see them.

Mane Character are not matched to their current development of the show (This movie occured between S7 and S8), their characters should belong to S4 or something (i guess the script was written during between S4 and S5). The half of mane 6 are just there, they just look very 'basic', only Twilight, Pinkie, Rainbow actually do something interesting. Pinkie is the most amazing mane character of group, most of funny scenes came from her, her confrontation with Twilight was good, she look like a second leader to me. Fluttershy, on the other hand, had very few dialogues, did nothing noticeable beside the final battle, which is a shame to her 7 seasons of development. Twilight was nerfed too much, she didnt use teleportation spell in the movie, i dont know why she look so weak in this movie, maybe for story progression because she kinda OP. Twilight's 'Putting Your Hoof Down' moment was a great idea but they feel forced that made Twilight look OUT OF CHARACTER, can you imagine S7 Twilight can say those hurtful words to her friends? Even Twilight at her worse didnt go that far, she even try to steal the artifact, that's low, thanks god that she realized she fucked up instantly. 

The other non-mane characters are ok. Tempest is cool but not a really villain. Storm King is just a combination of Tirek and Discord, not very funny and not very threatning at all, his most memorable moment is his own death. Grubber is meh, just a throwaway character. Capper is charming. Celaeno looks cool but she didnt have much screentime. Skystar and her mom are so cute, i want to spend more time with them. Sia pony is just being Sia .All these characters served their purposes, i wish the writers could flesh out their characters more. I knew the comic existed, but if you need other materials outside the movie to understand the movie, you failed.

And one more thing...

Where is Starlight Glimmer? Discord? Thorax? Shining Armor? Element of Harmony? Pillars? Is it supposed to be canon?

The movie did a poor job to appeal both new audiences and old audiences. New audiences feel overwhelmed by a ton of references that the only fan of the show can understand. They make the movie event right after S7 but the script was written like this movie is right after S4/S5. If they want to appeal new audiences, just make a stand-alone movie, If they just want to appeal the old fan, just make it like a true sequel to S7 and release it for Mlp fan only, pick one.

6-6.5. I enjoyed the movie, but its myriad of useless new characters and iffy story really hold it back. I'm really hoping we get a sequel and it goes the way of the Equestria Girls movies. Meaning, the first movie was iffy but the second knocks it out of the ball park.