Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things that make you feel young/old

Reecejackox

Young: MLP, drawing

Old: my job (nearly all of my colleagues are 50 or over), my style, very inactive in social media, not into video games, I have a child, partying is not for me anymore, I'm apparently a boomer because the way I act and type (and I'm only 28???)

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever I play an old game that I used to play when I was young, especially old games with their potato graphics. I marvel at how I thought that those games were amazing yet never realized how terrible the graphics were back then compared to now. Not that the graphics made those games unenjoyable or that they weren't the best graphics of their time. I suppose this happens to every visual, digital object, like photos, movies and TV shows, and video games - you thought they were visually amazing but looking back, you see how terrible they are visually compared to now.

My hypogonadism. It is a deficiency in the production of hormones such as testosterone and estrogen, that stunted my development into adulthood.

So, my friends moved on with adult responsibilities and families of their own. While I am in the same place as twenty years ago. And it is the same with my relatives. They never matured. So, they can be prepotent, childish and irresponsible, which is sweet in some way. But it can be a massive detriment when it comes to deal with actual life.

And I believe the problem is related with our ancestry. Since our family mentioned being an offshoot of french nobility. And as some people may be aware of, endogamy was a known practice among nobles and royalty to keep power. And these are the results... But this is the main reason I feel so "young". Because biologically, my body never developed past puberty. Which explains the reason people mistake me for an adolescent.

What makes me feel old?

Seeing wrestlers I used to watch show up on "Legend Night" shows who look like they can barely walk. 

On 2022-12-20 at 7:36 AM, Stone Cold Steve Jobs said:

Seeing more and more gray hairs come in.

*Vince McMahon voice*: "I NEED THE OLD, STONE COLD!" :angry:

• Brohoof 1

You know what makes me feel old? Oh, and this happened 3 years ago.

Bassoonists of the city and around where I live put on a little Christmas bassoon mall performance every year (well, it hasn't happened in three years now, for various reasons, but I assume it will be back next year) where people of all ages and experience/skill levels can play. I, being the bassoon nerd, I always make it. Well, this time I was sitting in front of a teenager that I heard talking to the boy next to her and I couldn't help but overhear her give her age, and that age was...the same amount of years I had been playing the bassoon.

So, she should now be 16 going by this. Note: I started playing the bassoon in my senior year of high school. :O

Returning to college at age 27 also made me feel old. The years since high school had begun blending together and going by so fast that I hadn't even realized that I could no longer relate as much with 18 year olds and now they felt like children compared to me. :O I can not imagine what it'd be like now.

A lot of the music I listen to makes me feel older. It's always awkward explaining that the music that a lot of the music I find nostalgic about from my high school years is music from my parents' generation. 

--

I try to keep myself feeling young by keeping up with many of the things I loved as a child and teenager, like Pokemon. Also music, I mix in the music I loved in my teen years with the rest of my music that I listen to all of the time. I'm a sucker for nostalgia, and music is a huge nostalgia outlet for me. I also collect G3 and G1 MLPs as well as unicorn stuff and have them everywhere, even at my work desk.

• Brohoof 1

Hard to say actually. Usually I feel younger..

Usually listening to music I recall from the 2000s does it (including that 70s-80s Spanish pop my mom would always play). Like, that’s when I was a child and I was really starting to see the world I’m living in as far as… everything.

This especially. 1981 song actually. Most people my age who watched enough cartoons remember where this is from.

I'm 26.

Things that make me feel young:

• I'm aging in reverse (sort of). I look younger facially now than I did when I was 16 and multiple people have said so
  • I have a lot of energy, particularly in the morning
  • I'm physically strong and have reasonably good cardiovascular stamina

Things that make me feel old:

• The sheer number of social media platforms these days that I have no idea how to use
  • The fact that video games all seem to be boring, contrived nonsense these days and none of them present any interest to me
  • I always get tired at 10pm and can't stay up past midnight anymore
  • Every single one of my friends is either in a serious relationship, engaged, married, or has a child
  • I don't drink alcohol and don't like parties
Edited by daviddaviddavid

10 hours ago, Splashee said:

I am too old to ever try looking what TikTok is.

That I get! :fiery:

Gaming:  I like gaming and stuff but I find myself just missing those one/one days alone, grinding and yellig at my TV....

Pokemon:  How many is there now......:scoots:

Food Cost: Bigger boxes on pizza rolls,  smaller bites :fiery:

Something that makes me feel both young and old at the same time is music. I can listen to a song from the 60s, 70s, and so on and feel young in comparison to them, but then I can hear a song from my high school years(early 2010s) and then feel old as I realize that they came out a decade ago.

What makes me feel old is learning about the exact number of years a movie from my childhood has been out for. For example, only yesterday, I was talking to a mate and they mentioned that Finding Nemo was almost over 20 years old. It only came out in 2003 when I was a child. Has it really been THAT long? The 2000s seem so much more recent to me.

Edited by Aticus the Adequate

• 2 weeks later...

Young?  Nothing, really.  Old?  Everything.  I'm not that old, relatively speaking, but I feel like an ancient f*cking corpse whenever an adult youtuber says that their favorite nostalgic childhood game is Halo 3.  Like, god dammit, WTF?!  Uh... that's so depressing.  How am I so old that adults today grew up playing Halo f*cking 3??!

• 9 months later...

Young: I play yu-gi-oh duel links. The game is probably aimed at younger people than me. 

Old: I like games from the early 2000s and cartoons from the 1990s.

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, zerox said:

Young: I play yu-gi-oh duel links. The game is probably aimed at younger people than me. 

Old: I like games from the early 2000s and cartoons from the 1990s.

I like playing Duel links as well.

• Brohoof 1

What has made me feel old today is after talking things over with my family, I now have a burial plot. Which is a good thing because I have a someplace to be buried. It just leads me to think about things I'd never really thought about.