Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler What Did You Think About The MLP Movie?

Sketchy Tune

I really enjoyed it.  The animation was beautiful, I loved that they dialed it up a notch from the cartoon without losing any of the feel that we're used to.  Some of the new characters were great, and although I would have liked to see a lot more of Captain Celaeno I do appreciate that they only had so much to work with and I don't grudge the amount of time that they focused on Tempest because they really managed to build her up throughout the course of the film, and her eventual change of heart felt a lot more graduated than the usual sudden eleventh hour reformation that we see in the series.

I honestly don't have a lot bad to say about it, I am well aware of the usual issues that affect cartoon tie-in films and I went it into with moderated expectations, all of which were surpassed.  If I had to pick fault with it I'd say that they tried to introduce too much new material in terms of locations, characters and creatures too quickly, but that didn't detract from my overall enjoyment.

• Brohoof 4

The only thing that annoyed me was the immediate and blatant shunting off the Princesses from the story. I don’t mind them getting imprisoned, but my God, make it look like they at least didn’t want to get caught. First thing they do when Cadence gets crystallized is just STAND THERE like sitting ducks. Run, teleport, fire off a magic blast, SOMETHING! At least friggin try to duck when you get magic crystal orbs launched at you. It would have literally taken seconds to portray some kind of resistance, but no. I knew the princesses would get sidelined, but the way it happened was just so unexpectedly BAD.

I loved literally everything else. XD

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 4

15 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

The only thing that annoyed me was the immediate and blatant shunting off the Princesses from the story. I don’t mind them getting imprisoned, but my God, make it look like they at least didn’t want to get caught. First thing they do when Cadence gets crystallized is just STAND THERE like sitting ducks. Run, teleport, fire off a magic blast, SOMETHING! At least friggin try to duck when you get a magic crystal orbs launched at you. It would have literally taken seconds to portray some kind of resistance, but no. I knew they princesses would get sidelined, but the way it happened was just so unexpectedly BAD.

I loved literally everything else. XD

I actually agree with this. They could have done way better in pushing them to the sidelines. ^_^

• Brohoof 2

I really dig the 2017 movie. It's something that my friends and I waited for 3 long years, and it turned out to be a great film. Due to moving for my job to France, I never expected to see the film in French (while in Paris)! The voice acting work was pretty good and for the French release they put " Les liens de l’amitié " (The Bonds of Friendship) in the end credits. This was not in the original English version.

Went to the UK to see it in English.

Edited by SeaSpray
  • Brohoof 2

I didn't expect much from it, and I was satisfied with what I saw, for the most part. I liked the animation, the action scenes, most of the songs and new characters. Tempest turned out to be a great villain, although initially I thought that she's a badly designed OC. I also liked how they depicted Pinkie - she was the second most important Mane Six character in the movie. And the appearance of Ursa Minor was a really nice touch.

As for the negative aspects, I prefer not to write about them. The haters and "critics" are vocal enough already.

Edited by Oleks
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

Hm, I have mixed feelings on the movie. While I loved the animation, and just from a fan point of view, it was great to see a full length movie. But for the story? I don't know, I only give it a 6/10. : /

We get no real backstory on our main villain, and for him to be our main villain, we know next to nothing about him. No exposition at all. Why should we hate him? Just because he's the bad guy? But why is he the bad guy? Why is he like this? What made him evil in the first place? There is no explanation. And that bothers me.

And I'm sorry, Tempest is an interesting design, but as for character-----no. We do learn what happened to her horn, sure, but really? Really? It was just a bear in a cave? And she became this horrid hateful pony just because her friends ran out on her as a filly?! Really?! How sensitive and easy to turn do you unrealistically have to be? I expected a bigger reason for the loss of her horn, her scar, and her hatred. I mean, yeah what her friends did was awful, and while there's no excuse for it, they were also children. Children are stupid and make stupid choices, and I'm quite sure everyone here had something similar happen to them with a friend or a sibling, but that didn't turn you into this absolutely horrid person bound for revenge on everyone. That I would assume, takes years of abuse. Speaking of which, where were her parents?! Are you telling me she just left town with no one gong to look for her? How did she survive? Where did she live, how did she eat?

Lastly even if you DO read the 'prequel' story/comic, it still answers none of these things. It gives you I guess... more backstory on Tempest, but again answers none of the above. Oh and the Storm King? He goes off like "I bet you wanna know my back story...TOO BAD!" and then just continues to be an arse,and the story goes on following his 'conquests' and all the kingdoms he's stolen from. I cannot take this villain seriously, we know nothing about him to be threatened other than he just acts like a jerky jackarse, steals things, and grins like an idiot while making dumb jokes bossing everyone around. Oh and SURPRISE he didn't keep his promise to help Tempest. e___e so didn't see that coming a mile away

I get that it was mainly targeted to young audiences, but not only do we need to treat our younger audiences with more respect but this show is obviously aware  of it's older fan-base. Why insult us as well by making a barely cohesive story-line, unrealistic character arcs and probably one of the most laughable villains I have ever seen next to the Shadow Pony from the latest season. (Also the song pony with the hair in her eyes, and that...what Sia-whoever whom I didn't even know was a real person she was based off was un-needed and just a celebrity plug.)

So all in all, visually, yes 8/10, very nice. But for the rest? A wobbly 6/10. 

Edited by Momento Mori
Fixed typos and added more thoughts
  • Brohoof 2

I liked the animation, which was quite different from the actual show, I'd rate it 7/10, loved the songs they've made and put them into the movie and Pinkie's jokes aswell as some of the references I've seen in the movie, made it quite better.

Apart from that, loved the fact that the main antagonist turned out as a good guy and had a reason to be an antagonist in the first place unlike some other pony *coughs* Starlight Glimmer *coughs*. lol sorreh :P

Edited by Guest

See my issues are much bigger than that. The story-line is the big problem. Sure the jokes hit on point, the references cracked me up, but what good is a movie with just that? You might as well not make a movie and just shove that into an episode or two, or a small 45 minute special on TV. I wanted more background on very key characters, believable backstory on them. Instead, we just get "here's this guy, here's this pony, here is why pony is sad, and the guy? He's a bad guy, just hate him cuz he's a bad guy. See him doing bad guy things? That's why you should hate him. Trust us."

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

I am not really sure, this movie is too much glitter and not much of the story this Movie is heavily relies on the comic books, and I don't really think that they should have done that. I didn't like how they portrayed Princess Celestia in this movie like she is that shallow incompetent leader that allowed invading army to invade her kingdom. Like picture Princess Celestia like a joke character on Marie Antoinette telling peasants 'Let them eat cake, and then buck off." Maybe Commander Tempest is correct, maybe the Equestria needs a revolution.  its like you have this moment where you ask yourself, who is the real villain here? The pirate who can invade every nation he wants, or the very incompetent rulers that allowed him to do so. This is just like Queen Chryssalis invades Canterlot on the day of Royal Wedding, except she actually needed to put some effort to do so

Edited by Rebellious Rainbow
  • Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Rebellious Rainbow said:

its like you have this moment where you ask yourself, who is the real villain here? The pirate who can invade every nation he wants, or the very incompetent rulers that allowed him to do so. This is just Like Queen Chryssalis invades Canterlot on the day of Royal Wedding, except she actually needed to put some effort to do so

I've done a lot of thinking about this.

I made the mistake of watching the movie while I was suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder, and actually that whole invasion gave me anxiety attacks---it's silly, but they really did.

That said, those attacks made me think quite a bit about the invasion, and I concluded that it succeeded entirely because of the element of surprise.  If it weren't for the huge brown smokescreen that concealed the fleet, the pegasus ponies would've seen them coming, formed a tornado, and either ripped the fleet out of the sky or forced them to surrender.  And if she weren't fast with those obsidian orb grenades, the princesses would've been able to get away---though I agree with ShadOBabe on this:

On 11/8/2017 at 1:04 PM, ShadOBabe said:

First thing they do when Cadence gets crystallized is just STAND THERE like sitting ducks. Run, teleport, fire off a magic blast, SOMETHING! At least friggin try to duck when you get magic crystal orbs launched at you. It would have literally taken seconds to portray some kind of resistance, but no.

I dunno...IIRC, after Cadence got crystallized, Celestia spent time talking about a counter-plan instead of dodging, which is a brain fart, but then Luna tried to fly away, but she made the mistake of not dodging or teleporting while doing so---okay, yeah, actually, ShadOBabe's post is spot-on; pretty much only Twilight has an excuse here, because she was occupied, using her magic to save Luna from falling down and shattering.

Apart from that, removing the princesses meant there was nopony to lead a resistance, so it was pretty much a rout after that; ponies' instinct is to run from threats and not so much to fight back, so the numerically-superior storm guards pretty much pwned the whole city.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I really liked the movie, it was what I expected it to be, and loved all the cameos -- Clear Skies, Trixie, Starlight, and the others -- that was awesome.

The thing that bugged me was why the princesses were so stingy regarding Twilight's request for the Friendship Festival. Maybe Twilight wanted them to have a part in the festival and not just her doing it all with her friends. A minor irritation to be sure, but it made me wonder.

I also agree with those above in hoping that there would be more resistance, like, where was the Royal Guard.

Derpy taking the hit for Twilight was a great surprise.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that the movie was simply good. I didn't surpass my expectations, but it didn't fail to meet them either. I liked it, but under no circumstances did I LOVE it. The humor was great, the animation was excellent, the soundtrack was superb, and Tempest Shadow is just a way better version of villainous Starlight and a good antagonist in general. That being said, the story is just decent, a lot of the new characters really don't serve much of a purpose in the long-run, and the actual main villain, while I actually genuinely really liked his character, is criminally under-utilized and has far too little screen-time and in general, there just weren't really any moments that WOWED me.

I'd give the movie 7/10. If you’re a fan of the series, then it'll probably satisfy you, but I doubt that it's really going to change public opinion on the series nor do I think that it's really worth any awards. It was what I expected, pure and simple, which, I feel the need to reiterate, is certainly not a bad thing.:grin:

Edited by Rarity the Supreme
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will crack down my thoughts in parts and such.

1. Animation: The animation in this movie was awesome and I think that it was top notch and managed to actually make the emotions that could be garner in the show even more powerful here with the facial expressions, voice syncing, and effects being amazing and extremely well done. The animation is perfect.

2. Music/OST: I find it great how they were able to get a full blown orchestra for this movie to really makes the songs unique from a traditional Mlp Fim song. For example when twilight says: “Friendship didn’t fail me, I failed friendship”, the music gives me goosebumps because of how powerful the music makes that moment. Imo the best songs were “We got this together” and “ A friend indeed” as they both stood to me as very well done and pleasant to listen too. From time to time I like to listen to these songs however I believe the third best song was “Open up your eyes” as I love the backstory and the dark themes in the song as well as. Emily’s singing voice. Overall the Music is very much good and fits what I believe the writers were going for and such. I wouldn’t say however that all of the songs are amazing but all of them are above average and again the orchestra was awesome.

3: Show Characters: I like how they did the mane 6 except for flutter shy I felt like they could have given fluttershy more important things to do other than say yay and act afraid. It seemed like they were trying to depict flutter shy as she was in earlier seasons as less assertive and timid. I like how they kept the characters consistent to who they are in show and it didn’t feel like there was one time where they acted like not themselves in this movie. All of the princesses were good too despite them being in the movie very little besides as statues. I think the characters from the show were very good and they written pretty much exactly like they are in the show.

4. New Characters: 

Villains: I think the three villains in this movie were good antagonists. I personally love Tempest as she seems to fit the darker themes in this movie I like her design, character and voice actor. I actually like Grubble because he is basically a sillier evil version of spike. He’s tempests assistant, he’s small, and he likes to eat sweets kinda like how spike likes to eat gems. The Storm King could have been better and I think they should have worked on him more but he was decent and a little funny his voice actor did great though.

5. Voice Acting: I think the voice actors were really good for every character in the movie and I felt that they were done pretty much flawlessly.

6. Story: The story in this movie is very much like a season finale except on a bigger movie scale. There were some cliche aspects to the story but what I think was great about it was the darker theme to it. It’s like mix of Return of Harmony and The Crystal Empire in terms of darkness with a mishmash of adult jokes which I think helped the movie be more accessible to non fans such as parents.

7. My Verdict As Well As other Notions: In my opinion there were flaws to this movie but all in all it stayed very much true to the series as well as trying different things which was very impressive to me. I’d give it a 10/10 as it had some problems but not enough to match how great its execution was. It’s definitely one of my favorite animated movies ever and definitely the best animated movie of 2017  and movie based on the entire Mlp series ( Rainbow Rocks is the only other notable film but it’s equestria girls and a lower budget so I don’t think it can be compared ) I think every Mlp fan should watch it and I also look forward to seeing more people watch it and see their thoughts.

Edited by The Whiteraven
  • Brohoof 3

It was better than what I had expected. The animation was great and fit the movie well. The songs and background music were great. I’m glad they resisted the urge to be lazy and use songs from pop culture. The song “Rainbow” has been added to my playlist. The background music made moments very powerful like when Twilight yells at Pinkie and Twilight says that she failed friendship. It reminded me of the Crystal Kingdom episode where the door showed twilight her worst fear of failing the test and getting banished by Celestia. The soft music made you feel her sadness and how alone she felt.

The villains could have been fleshed out a lot better in my opinion. No backstory to the Storm King was given or an explaination of how he knew that he needed the magic from the princesses to power his staff. Maybe it would have been better if Celestia or Luna recognized him or had heard of him. Just sounded like your average villain. I liked Tempest but her forgiveness and friendship was a little too quick for me. 

The new characters needed more work or be eliminated like the cat character. His betrayal of the mane 6 was too easily forgiven. The only one I really liked was the pirate captain. 

One thing that was pointed out in a review I read was that Tempest was almost like a foil for Twilight. Tempest was what Twilight could become is if her friends never came back for her or I felt she gave up on them. She was a dark reflection. Twilight had already started going down the same path as Tempest after seeing how cruel the world was outside of Equestria. She started to believe she had to be the same way. She didnt believe they could win by making friends and sonic rainbooms. That is why she lied to her friends so that she could steal the pearl. It wasn’t until after hearing Tempest’s song that she saw the dark part of herself in Tempest’s eyes. She had failed friendship.

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 2