Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler What Did You Think About The MLP Movie?

Sketchy Tune

(edited)
On 3/20/2018 at 2:14 PM, twilightsparkle3562 said:

The animation and characters were great, but the story could have REALLY been toned down a little bit to make it not as dark as it ended up being.  

See now, the darker aspects is what I liked. You want to challenge your audience and your characters otherwise, no develpment happens. Just because this is MLP doesnt means its always Sunshine and Rainbows. In fact, the episodes with Tirek, I found more dangerous and enthralling than the Storm King.

Edited by Memento Mori
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 5/4/2018 at 1:32 PM, Memento Mori said:

See now, the darker aspects is what I liked. You want to challenge your audience and your characters otherwise, no develpment happens. Just because this is MLP doesnt means its always Sunshine and Rainbows. In fact, the episodes with Tirek, I found more dangerous and enthralling than the Storm King.

Tirek was better in everyway to the storm king. For one Tirek is intelligent, second he is an actual threat. One of my favorite things about this show is that they actually do bring dark topics and such in the show to an extent and it was great in the movie too!

Edited by The Whiteraven

It was a great movie...though I was forced to watch it a few times but it was good.it has enjoyable songs,newer characters,and a king for once! (Also what is he? A monkey? Harambes uncle?!?) the only thing I didn’t like was how the princess’ were so easily captured. Also how twilight manipulated pinkie and co. to steal the dragon ba- er... I mean the orb! But all around it was good! (Lol spike pufferfish)

Overall, its a good movie. Not the best but still better than some movies based off of cartoons. The Storm King was a very weak and boring villain. He was only there to spout cheap one-liners which all fell flat. Tempest made a better villain since she was actually given a back story and motivation. In the end, the movie would have benefited from another re-write. Maybe have something that explored the lore of the show like where the alicorns came from.

To be honest, I'd have to agree with @Concerned Bystander The animation was incredible (you could see hints of it came from equestria girls) and many of the characters were loveable, but they just introduced way too many characters at once. And the storm king was a let down. He came across as much less detailed and developed as all the other villains. Honestly I had been hoping that Chrysalis was going to be the villain, but I can see why they didn't do that.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Ok, glad I found this, cuz was going to just start a new thread to mention my thoughts on the movie as a whole.  So yeah, let's get started.

So, I'll go ahead and start by saying that I found the movie a bit, disappointing.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, per say.  Just I feel like it could of been better.  I did like the premise of the movie too, just a few things were a bit of a let down.  So let me go ahead and run through some things.

Animation: First of all, I did enjoy the animation, it was pretty fun and I loved being able to check out the different ponies and other characters in this new style.  Just it was a bit sad going back to the series after it because dang, the animations started to feel a bit 'stiff' I guess the word is, even though they were the same as before.  But my mind finally readjusted.

Songs: I'll give a brief opinion on that here and probably go into a bit more detail a bit later.  But the songs themselves were pretty good.  I enjoyed them and they tied into the plot well, without feeling too out of place.

Side quests should of been longer: I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.  Just each time they met a new 'ally' or what not things just... felt too short.  Like They get a introduction.  Sing a song, Tempest shows up, exists... then gets the next one.  Just I feel like the encounters in each of them could of been fleshed out a little more than what they were, imo.

Creatures Beyond Equistria: Truth be told this is one of the things that now just short of bugs me.  I mean I can 'accept' it but still bugs me.  Now, the issue is that while I know there are other kingdom's/lands outside of Equistria, but they've always implied that the planet is populated primary of Ponies.  Seriously, in I believe Season 4 ep 1, There were delegates that came from other kingdoms to have a chat with the 3 other princesses... yet these were Ponies.  Not to mention the Daring Do stories which I assumed took place outside of Equistria, which would make sense with her books not being sold out there... But again, primarily Ponies.  But with this movie, it establishes that there are mostly non-pony (or bipedaled equestrian based species) that make up the outsides of the place.  Like it's more dencly populated and Ponies... well seems are more 'rare' considering the cat dude (sorry that I forgot his name... only seen the movie once and it was yesterday) was going to try and sell them to that one dude.  Then you have the fact that most of the others were two-legged or more speficially they had 'arms/hands' which bugged me a bit because if you go back to the Equetrians they seem to not get the concept of 'hands' and then there's the 'every pony' terminology which I mean... the kingdom's been around for over 1000 years... and ponies aren't even the primary inhabitants of this planet... so why are they using "Every Pony" for everyone... even to Dragons... I mean it'd make sense if they were the dominant species.  (as in the other creatures were more rare) then sure... But since they aren't... Just bugs me.  But something I can look past.

Starlight Glimmer: I know this was another topic and truth be told I wanted to reiterate a few things here about it.  Now, my issue is not that she wasn't part of the main quest, and I understand that (from what I read in that other topic) the movie began working on this movie before Starlight became (as I see it anyways) An honorary member of the mane 6.  Now as I said there, I think they should of either moved the Starlight Cameo to after the Friendship festival was back under way at the end of the movie, or removed her cameo entirely.  Don't get me wrong, she's my favorite character just I think where they put the cameo hurts the over all story of Starlight than helps with fans.  Because we have to ask ourselves, Why didn't she get involved as it makes no sense as to why she didn't.  With these two options it allows us to, at the very least, simply believe she wasn't there and didn't know about the problem.  Which could be a number of reasons then.  For example, she could of went back to chat with the EG characters (or it could of taken place during the Mirror magic EG special)  Or perhaps she was away on a friendship problem or some other reason.  However, there is another option that I wouldn't of minded seeing.  Pretty much replaced Dopey saving Twilight from those crystal bomb things with Starlight.  Would make sense and explain why she didn't get involved, AND not really much adjustments to do on that part.

Discord: Again let me say that I like Discord, and quiet frankly I'm ok with him not being in the movie... and since he didn't have a cameo like Starlight, we can easily say he was busy or didn't know about the issue.  Yeah it was mentioned that Discord may have noticed the 'power imbalance' (forgot the right term there... unless that was it) When the Princess' Magic was transferred into the staff.  But you have to remember, this didn't happen until the end of the movie which honestly it lasted at most an hour after it happened.  And this wouldn't of been the first time Discord stayed on the sidelines when he could of otherwise been helpful.  In some way, he could of just as easily believed that they could handle it and didn't want to rob them of the expierence.  Or, for all you know, Discord may not even be able to sense those disturbances while he's at home.  Though, Discord coming out in the climax to duke it out with the storm King but then lose, would of helped set up the Mane 6 a bit nicer.

The climax: This is more referring to the fight with the storm King.  Because it was leading up to something fun but it was a bit disappointing.  I mean, how many people called The Storm King breaking his promise to Tempest?  Probably a lot.  And also with the whole "don't trust anyone" speech, I have to wonder why Tempest assumed he would do it anyways.  Maybe she thought he was as niave?  Could be manipulated or something?  I dunno.  But anyways, I just feel like there could of been a bit better when they got to the "Working together with friends" moment.  seriously I felt like it didn't have as good a climax when it came to that point.  They did start something... had that build with the music when they did that chain to grab the staff... song was nice and momentum had it going well... but lasted like 10 seconds (or a little more) before it cut to "The bad guy returns" theme which just ruined the moment in my opinion.

No Friendship beam: Funny, how trigger happy these girls have been when it comes to that friendship beam.  Seriously they used it on like all of their foes but like King Sombra (and did the changlings get hit with it?  Eh the "Give her all of your love" was practically the same.)   So why not have it here?  I mean I could see three arguments coming up here.  First one being that since the writing started so far back, it may have been before they got the elements returned to them or what not.  But I mean they could of easily have gone "Super Pon-yian" ( ;) ) granted they only did that once against Tirek (not counting the dream episode because it was a dream and not actually them.)  But this would of been a perfect time to have them return to using it.  It would of also made a bit more an awesome climax showing just how much she needed her friends.  Secondly, you could argue that Twilight was drained of her magic, so how could she do the friendship blast... uh well, for starters, she was also drained when they went Super Pon-yian so no excuse there.  And in EG Twilight even used the power of the element while it was on someone else's head :P:D  so not impossible.  And finally, the actual ending of the Storm King, with how Tempest redeems herself by getting in the way of that crystal snag-em ball thing but honestly that easily could of been done a different way.  Like, the friendship blast could of put the storm king in a weakend state... maybe during the friendship blast he tried to counter it with a blast from the staff and well it was over powered but he was hurt but not well fully taken out :P  Then either A, they assumed he was unconscious or what not and they 'celebrate' (Or maybe talk to Tempest and offer her friendship) and he 'comes back for another attack' or they offer him friendship and he's like "No" and tries to back stab them with the crystal ball thing... and each of them boom! you got your Tempest redemption!

Why wasn't Tempest's horn fixed?: This was something that I honestly was expecting as it's your typical ending.  I thought that it would either happen Storm King would restore it (and either she backstabs him... or he backstabs her another way)  Or like she did some kind of magical attack that restored it (like how Rarity's tail was restored after the friendship blast in the 2nd episode ever!)  Or one of the alicorns (or multiple of them) would.   And while I'm fine with her leaving it the way it was (I do like the look) and I can see where they were going with it... But it doesn't make sense as to why it wasn't... I mean, Surely Twilight would of done so before she returned the alicorns to their state.. or even afterwords as a 'reward' for turning around in the end.  But They just didn't... which just bugs me a bit.

Ok, I think that's it.  Again despite all those 'negative' things, the movie wasn't bad.  (granted the climax could of lost a bit of it's magic because my video feed *hulu streaming* lost it's quality and was blury… but still.)  Would of loved to have seen those adjustments. And if I remember any others I'll let you know.

Edited by JCKane

• 2 weeks later...

The animation is totally different, the story is illogical, and it doesn't look like it's canon (Canterlot has been remodeled).

Maybe I watched too many cinema sins about that film. :maud: