Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Sunset Shimmer ever make a meaningful return to Equestria?

Toon4Thought

When I first saw "Mirror Magic", the little bit we got of Sunset forgetting her old pony habits really seemed to make me realize just how much I'd love to see Sunset revisit her old equine roots that she long left behind. I just find it really engaging how the character is the only pony who has permanently transitioned to human life, both physically and mentally, and especially all the potential that can be done with that. I mean, really imagine just how comedic, heart-wrenching, and fascinating it would be for Sunset to reunite with Princess Celestia and/or relish getting her magic back. It's the kind of potential that you simply can't get anywhere else.

However, it also hurts to think about, because between the fact it took us this long to even get two minutes' worth, Hasbro deciding what stories the crew can tell, and just how little said background has played into Sunset's characterization (especially as of late), I keep fearing it won't happen. And what particularly sucks about this instance is that I feel these things are outright begging to be explored, and is something I am beyond fascinated over. So, I can't help but fear I'm just setting myself up for disappointment, and it really would be a huge letdown if this never does get explored.

I've been feeling this way for months now to a downright unhealthy degree, so I feel it's best I just ask the question right here. Do you think we'll see more pony Sunset in future official media?

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 4

Is it just me, or does this question get posted like every other week?

More on topic, I personally hope not. I don’t begrudge people that enjoy Equestria Girls, But I really don’t, and would much rather keep the main show and its spinoff at arms length away from each other.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
1 minute ago, ShadOBabe said:

I wouldn't know TBH. The only other one in recent memory involved her appearing in the show, which is kind of like this but not really.

Edited by Toon4Thought

More on topic, I personally hope not. I don’t begrudge people that enjoy Equestria Girls, But I really don’t, and would much rather keep the main show and its spinoff at arms length away from each other.

I mean it doesn't necessarily have to happen in an episode of FIM.

It could easily just take place during either an episode of the digital series, another movie, or another 22 minute EQG special, and people who don't like EQG wouldn't have to deal with Sunset appearing in the show, and fans would finally be able to get closure on a hanging plot thread. 

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, cmarston1 said:

It could easily just take place during either an episode of the digital series, another movie, or another 22 minute special or what have you.

Ahhh, that is true. Still it’s separate thing, but EQG fans get what they want.

• Brohoof 2

It could easily just take place during either an episode of the digital series, another movie, or another 22 minute special or what have you.

Yeah, but my question is basically "do you think it will happen in any of those things you listed". Because I want to believe it will, but it's hard not to be worried they won't. Me constantly going back and forth on this is kind of fueling this obsession.

Often enough it may deserve its own subforum. 

9 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

I've been feeling this way for months now to a downright unhealthy degree, so I feel it's best I just ask the question right here. Do you think we'll see more pony Sunset in future official media?

By your own account this is starting to become obsessive, which is usually not healthy. The focus should be to find peace absent this obsession, not feed the obsession. 

I can't predict what they will or won't do with Sunset. I wouldn't mind her inclusion. I'm not holding my breath either. 

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Toon4Thought said:

Yeah, but my question is basically "do you think it will happen in any of those things you listed". Because I want to believe it will, but it's hard not to be worried they won't. Me constantly going back and forth on this is kind of fueling this obsession.

I am hoping that we get to see it soon, but I have a feeling that it is being saved for a series finale of the EQG series.

I can see Sunset having to chose between whether or not she wants to stay in the human world or go back to Equestria after graduation.

I am hoping that we get to see it soon, but I have a feeling that it is being saved for a series finale of the EQG series.

I can see Sunset having to chose between whether or not she wants to stay in the human world or go back to Equestria after graduation.

I fully agree. I even have this entire idea in mind as to how it could play out. But then again, I have no idea if they would even give EqG a definitive finale.

I just wish it gets covered, period.

I really hope so. She must have a family back in Equestria (or does she actually?:huh:

I think that if human Sunset ever shows up she’ll take Sunsets place in the... whatever world that is. I refuse to call it human! 

But if she doesn’t, I can’t see the show moving Sunset back to Equestria any time soon.

I really hope it does happen though.

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Midnight Blaze 98 said:

I really hope so. She must have a family back in Equestria (or does she actually?:huh:

I think that if human Sunset ever shows up she’ll take Sunsets place in the... whatever world that is. I refuse to call it human! 

But if she doesn’t, I can’t see the show moving Sunset back to Equestria any time soon.

Might be interesting to see what would happen if EqG-born Sunset decided to take Sunny's place back ponyside, leaving EqG to Sunny...

• Brohoof 2

51 minutes ago, Midnight Blaze 98 said:

That would be an interesting turn of events.

• Brohoof 1

It all depends on what Hasbro decides to allow the writers to do with her character. From a toy selling standpoint, having Sunset remain in the human world would mean more revenue for the company as she is considered to be the face of Equestria Girls, so having her go back to Equestria would go against Hasbro's business practice. From a character development standpoint, Sunset needs more of her backstory revealed and not simply through comics or brief references. I still want her to reconcile with Celestia as that would finally conclude her troubled past story arc as it's the only thing left of that which has yet to be resolved and I think the writers can do a good job of it, but again, it depends on what Hasbro will allow them to do.

• Brohoof 5

On 11/8/2017 at 5:33 PM, Toon4Thought said:

When I first saw "Mirror Magic", the little bit we got of Sunset forgetting her old pony habits really seemed to make me realize just how much I'd love to see Sunset revisit her old equine roots that she long left behind. I just find it really engaging how the character is the only pony who has permanently transitioned to human life, both physically and mentally, and especially all the potential that can be done with that. I mean, really imagine just how comedic, heart-wrenching, and fascinating it would be for Sunset to reunite with Princess Celestia and/or relish getting her magic back. It's the kind of potential that you simply can't get anywhere else.

However, it also hurts to think about, because between the fact it took us this long to even get two minutes' worth, Hasbro deciding what stories the crew can tell, and just how little said background has played into Sunset's characterization (especially as of late), I keep fearing it won't happen. And what particularly sucks about this instance is that I feel these things are outright begging to be explored, and is something I am beyond fascinated over. So, I can't help but fear I'm just setting myself up for disappointment, and it really would be a huge letdown if this never does get explored.

About all of what you said, I hope it happens in season 8

42 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

It all depends on what Hasbro decides to allow the writers to do with her character. From a toy selling standpoint, having Sunset remain in the human world would mean more revenue for the company as she is considered to be the face of Equestria Girls, so having her go back to Equestria would go against Hasbro's business practice. From a character development standpoint, Sunset needs more of her backstory revealed and not simply through comics or brief references. I still want her to reconcile with Celestia as that would finally conclude her troubled past story arc as it's the only thing left of that which has yet to be resolved and I think the writers can do a good job of it, but again, it depends on what Hasbro will allow them to do.

The "stories are mandated by Hasbro" thing is a significant part of my concern, really. The fact that the artists pretty much have no control over what they can explore... And yeah, I know that's just kind of how it is for shows of this nature, but man will it be painful just to wait for all these dangling, shiny threads to never become reality.

22 minutes ago, Cahead2015 said:

About all of what you said, I hope it happens in season 8

Me too. But the bitter truth is it most likely won't; their reluctance to directly reference EqG in the main show, along with not always optimally using some characters that are actually in the show (looking at you, Diamond Tiara) are kind of two big barriers that they could only really get past if they are especially committed and motivated.

I have no doubt they very easily CAN make something great with Sunset making a one-off appearance. It's more a matter of whether or not they WILL.

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 2

My theory only.

Probably not permanently, but I personally can't think of a reason to not have her visit occasionally. Comically like Mirror Magic. Sunset is too necessary to EG to ever be allowed leave forever. Think of the toy line :)

Edited by Lektra Bolt

2 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

My theory only.

Probably not permanently, but I personally can't think of a reason to not have her visit occasionally. Comically. Sunset is too necessary to EG to ever be allowed leave forever. Think of the toy line :)

I'm not denying that she should stay in the human world at all.

I just want to see her make one meaningful visit, but I fear even that may be too much to ask for given the barriers despite the goldmine of potential, but comedically and emotionally.

• Brohoof 1

I want to see her make multiple meaningful visits, as an occasionally recurring character, but my point was that she cannot permanently remain in pony form and rejoin the main show permanently as it would damage the bottom line of Hasbro. No more human Sunset means no more toys of new outfits to sell

7 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

I want to see her make multiple meaningful visits, as an occasionally recurring character, but my point was that she cannot permanently remain in pony form and rejoin the main show permanently as it would damage the bottom line of Hasbro. No more human Sunset means no more toys of new outfits to sell

That would probably be the ideal case, yes. And I actually agree that she shouldn't be a permanent mainstay of FiM; that takes away a large reason of why I love the character in the first place, and when you really look at what she's been through in the human world it only make sense for her to continue living there.

It's just... at least one visit would be enough for me to be satisfied with what we got. Not having one would legitimately leave me bummed.

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 1

On 11/8/2017 at 4:07 PM, CypherHoof said:

Might be interesting to see what would happen if EqG-born Sunset decided to take Sunny's place back ponyside, leaving EqG to Sunny...

That’s my secret crazy story idea I want to see. I want human Sunset and Starlight to be the villains in the next EQG movie, and I want human Sunset to go to Equestria and become Celestia’s student there. It’ll never happen though...

5 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

The "stories are mandated by Hasbro" thing is a significant part of my concern, really. The fact that the artists pretty much have no control over what they can explore... And yeah, I know that's just kind of how it is for shows of this nature, but man will it be painful just to wait for all these dangling, shiny threads to never become reality.

The writers do have some creative freedom yet there is much they cannot explore without Hasbro giving them the go-ahead to do so. Hasbro owns the rights to MLP and whatever they say goes even if the decision doesn't make sense. It's a sad state I know but it's the unfortunate true.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

Me too. But the bitter truth is it most likely won't; their reluctance to directly reference EqG in the main show, along with not always optimally using some characters that are actually in the show (looking at you, Diamond Tiara) are kind of two big barriers that they could only really get past if they are especially committed and motivated.

I have no doubt they very easily CAN make something great with Sunset making a one-off appearance. It's more a matter of whether or not they WILL.

So long story short: there's a 15(probably 10) precent chance it'll happen.

I think that her making a memorable return to Equestria (aside from another book delivery, we don't know how fast she'll fill up that last book) will depend on why she returns.  At this point with the return of the legends I'm not sure she'd be needed to save the day.  After all there are now 4 ailcorn princesses, the legends and the M6, plus Starlight Glimmer; that's a pretty hefty power block for any villain.

I think the kind of episode that would be the most memorable is one where Sunset faces some massive trauma in the world of CHS and decides to return to Equestria because she can't face it.  Some action or event that is so great that she can't stand living in the human world anymore.  I can think of a lot of reasons, but most would have to stay in the realm of fanfic (Twilight rejects her, something happens to the rest of the girls... something like that), leaving the sort of friendship problem solving arc that would at least demand a two parter.  The decision of where to live and in what body to live would be worth a mini-movie all its own.  

Or alternately she might be forced to return to Equestria because with her in the human world there is a magical imbalance and if she doesn't return both worlds are doomed.  This would be interesting on a lot of levels, she might have some resentment of human Twilight for damaging the portal, she might try to re-create her friendship with the human M5 with the pony M5 but get what she's done with the human counterparts mixed up with what she's done with the pony counterparts.

Another way that she might be forced to return would be if her human body contracted an illness that her pony body would be immune to, she'd have to return to Equestria to live.

Right now Sunset has in many ways the best of both worlds.  She has a human life and friends and can contact and talk to Twilight when ever she wants, she even has a choice of bodies (and who wouldn't envy that?  I'd love to turn into a cat or a dragon or something like that if I could) and universes to live in.  I think a memorable return episode would be one where her choices were suddenly a lot less.