Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fight scenes.

CastletonSnob

Fight choreography in animation is a takes more time to board and animate. When they can afford the time, it is done well. Thankfully I don't watch the show for Last Airbender quality fight scenes, so it never bothered me. 

Mistmane's battled was not bad this season. 

• Brohoof 8

You do know this is a show about Friendship, not Fighting! 

It's "Friendship is Magic" not "Fighting is Magic". If you're going to complain about this kind of thing, go watch "Game of Thrones" or whatever action shows are playing these days.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, WiiGuy2014 said:

It's "Friendship is Magic" not "Fighting is Magic". If you're going to complain about this kind of thing, go watch "Game of Thrones" or whatever action shows are playing these days.

I would recommend he watch Voltron and Castlevania on Netflix for decent fight choreography. 

• Brohoof 2

I thought the Twilight Vs Tirek fight was AWESOME. I show it to non-bronies all the time to show them why the show got popular with adults. It always leaves an impression. XD

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 4

It's not the fighting scenes that made this G4 show popular. It's the wide variety of characters, life lessons to learn from, something for everyone to relate to!

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

I would recommend he watch Voltron and Castlevania on Netflix for decent fight choreography. 

Very good choices! Especially Castlevania!!!

15 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

Why can't the show do fight scenes well? When we do get fight scenes, they're usually done poorly, like the slapfight in the Crystal War timeline in the Season 5 finale. When will we get good fight scenes?

There are key factors as to why there aren't "good" fight scenes. One factor is that its a kids show for young audiences around the ages of 3-10. Any violence would be shamed from parents. A second factor is animation budget. The more the characters move, the more money it takes to make them move. The last factor is that the show is about friendship... which means violence of any kind wont be a focus. 

• Brohoof 4

5 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

I thought the Twilight Vs Tirek fight was AWESOME. I show ignore to non-bronies all the time to show them why the show got popular with adults. It always leaves an impression. XD

That episode still stands as the highest rated episode too. It was pretty entertaining, but I think part of the reason it was so cool has to do with its novelty. Big badass villain battle in FiM? Wat? 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Jeric said:

That episode still stands as the highest rated episode too. It was pretty entertaining, but I think part of the reason it was so cool has to do with it's novelty. Big badass villain battle in FiM? Wat? 

Came for the ponies, stayed for the villain, came again, and again, and again for the DBZ LAZER CANON BATTLE YEEEEAH!!

• Brohoof 2

32 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

Why can't the show do fight scenes well? When we do get fight scenes, they're usually done poorly, like the slapfight in the Crystal War timeline in the Season 5 finale. When will we get good fight scenes?

To be fair though; we're talking about horses. I'm not sure how much else you could do horse-to-horse combat and make it look like what we're used to seeing elsewhere; even considering the Tirek fight.

45 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

TV Y rating basically.
The most we'll ever get is Twilight's kingdom, and even THAT is a massive outlier. You're not going to get any real choreographed conflicts unless they do a side series with a Y7.

34 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

>please see S2's finale

There's a good amount of adventure in this series, and faust wanted there to be conflict and a 50% adventure ratio, which kind of implies fights to beat the enemy (they didn't just talk discord into going away in return of harmony after all, even if it was just a tame rainbow laser).

its completely disingenuous to say that Friendship doesn't mean there can't be fights against villains or antagonists. Why do you think there's a GOH toyline after all? because alot of fans enjoy that, like the adventure aspect of the show, and think that it can handle more episodes like Canterlot wedding (Which had a fairly lengthy fight scene), twilight's kingdom or Princess twilight sparkle (which also had a fight against the plants).

Hell, power ponies, do princesses dream of magical sheep, gauntlet of fire... there's plenty of room for fights on the adventures.

kick.thumb.jpg.217cc4d7faa3e1b5cd69c29993e9112c.jpg

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

Twilight vs. Tirek in Twilight's Kingdom and ponies vs. changelings in A Canterlot Wedding are both pretty solid. The former is of DBZ proportions and the latter is a brawl with hoof-to-hoof combat and a few magic death lasers. :3

Other than those, we don't get many actual fight scenes. Mostly just the Mane 6 using a physical manifestation of the magic of friendship to fry the villain. This is NOT an action-oriented show! We aren't going to get much violence.

Edited by Prospekt

45 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Or the ChouSeiShin (Gransazer, Justiriser, and Sazer-X) and Takara Tomy (Madan Senki Ryukendo, Tomica Hero Rescue Force, and Tomica Hero Rescue Fire) Tokusatsu trilogies. They've got both quality storytelling and plenty of epic action at the same time.

• Brohoof 1

I think for being the more powerful unicorn/alicorn magic user they could have more variety in their arsenal. The typical magic beam is simple while they could do some minor variations like quick shots, volley spread, and charging shot. Also some combat magics would be useful like restraining magic, magic that can disable an opponent like make them dizzy or fall asleep.

1 hour ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

its completely disingenuous to say that Friendship doesn't mean there can't be fights against villains or antagonists. Why do you think there's a GOH toyline after all? because alot of fans enjoy that, like the adventure aspect of the show, and think that it can handle more episodes like Canterlot wedding (Which had a fairly lengthy fight scene), twilight's kingdom or Princess twilight sparkle (which also had a fight against the plants).

Hell, power ponies, do princesses dream of magical sheep, gauntlet of fire... there's plenty of room for fights on the adventures.

An argument could be made that most of the above fights are not much more than traditional Saturday morning fare we saw in the 80's, and I could be wrong but I believe the OP was mostly focused on the general quality and not the amount. The answer honestly is the assembly line nature of the show since season four. These guys have been working on season to season non-stop. There is a basic opportunity cost since it takes more man hours to do a fight scene than walk/react/talk/react ... especially if you are heavily stocked with assets to cut down the above non action elements.  

I'm not of the mindset that there isn't a place for action, though I am a fan of 'less is more'. I do like a well choreographed fight. 

31 minutes ago, Singe said:

I think for being the more powerful unicorn/alicorn magic user they could have more variety in their arsenal. The typical magic beam is simple while they could do some minor variations like quick shots, volley spread, and charging shot. Also some combat magics would be useful like restraining magic, magic that can disable an opponent like make them dizzy or fall asleep.

Ok. This is something that I completely agree with, especially that last part. I would love creative uses of magic in an action scene, instead of what boils down to basic laser pistols. Twi can teleport. Or have RD pull a Colossus Fastball Special and use AJ as a missile. Small things go a long way. Imaging a growing spell that calls vines to subdue an enemy, or creating a stone pillar cage ... 

Right now we see phasers and shields. Twilight is basically the Enterprise. 

People have said it, but yeah the Y7 rating makes it tough to put in really intense stuff. Twilight Vs Tirek is about as crazy as you’re going to get.

I don’t remember where I heard it, but apparently they had to follow some very specific rules when writing that scene. The one I remember is the funnily specific “Twilight cannot punch Tirek in the face.”

Which makes me really want to draw Twilight punching Tirek in the face. :squee:

• Brohoof 1

Fighting isn't the main part of the show, and I actually prefer it not to be shown often, as that isn't what I expect or want thew show to be like. I just want cute ponies on adventures, not intense fighting. Besides, the show has to stay at a lower rating, so too much can be a problem.

There are a few fight scenes like Mistmane legend, Daybreaker vs NMM, Changeling vs Maulworf (even its too silly but still counted)... S7 still had some decent fight scenes but they are not very long and not very violence compare to Canterlot Wedding or Twilight Kingdom (if you want a long and violence battle scenes then you will be disappointed).

I mean, if fighting scenes happens more often then I would considered it an action adventure cartoon. We did have some fight scenes here and there (Tirek vs Twilight being one of the best) but it can get tiring when being common since it will lose the theme of friendship.