Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most Awkward Moment As A Brony?

teh_supar_hackr

I have one, while at walmart once I saw a shirt (one of the ones that says brony on it and has Rainbow Dash on it) and my grandma looked at it and asked "Is that sparkle shine?" I then put the shirt back and ignored the question, and she asked that question loudly too, which made things worse. :sunny:

Edited by teh_supar_hackr
  • Brohoof 3

I keep pony and life STRICTLY apart, so mine isn't too bad.

It was years ago, and out of the blue someone was talking about mlp, my ear pricked and I immediatly went to them and started some discussion (I think it was about best pony.) Problem was that it was in range of my normal friends at the time, and when my over-anxious mind realized this, I just saw them staring.

They never brought it up, and I've learned my lesson since then. Although it was the first time I'd ever encountered another fan, and I was young, so I give myself some slack.

• Brohoof 3

I was at the store one afternoon and I was looking at a few pony related toys. I didn't notice a young girl standing next to me alongside her parents. They were all shooting me odd glares. I really had no choice but to smile and awkwardly walk off.

• Brohoof 3

I have been stared at in the comic store near me because I was buying an issue of MLP. And I told my college roommate that I'm a brony while he was ranting during an MLP commercial about how stupid he thinks the franchise is. I think that taught him a lesson (we're still good friends).

• Brohoof 2

Well, since I am not very open about being a brony, I don't recall many awkward moments.  But, I do remember this very funny one.

So, I had invited some friends over to hang out and we decided to search each other's browser history. Mine was filled with pony episodes and who knows how many Starlight pictures. Therefore, I tried to come up with every excuse I could think of. Fortunately, we dropped off the idea of invading each other's privacy. They never found out I like ponies. Seriously, someone needs to know I am a brony IRL. 

• Brohoof 3

For me it was buying a ticket for MLP movie, then walking into the theater wearing a pony shirt and sitting next to a mom and her two little daughters. The mom glanced at me with suspicion, and I tried to keep my poker face all this time. 

Also, that one time I ordered a happy meal with a Rainbow Dash toy.

• Brohoof 4

There was this time I was out walking my dog and I wasn't paying attention while checking email ... and walked smack into a tree. The dog bolts hilarity ensued ... and the neighbors saw the whole thing. That was a year ago so I was a Brony then. ;)

If you mean awkward moments because of being a Brony ... I'll have to say that those things don't happen to me. 

At the end of last year, I started the difficult trek back into the work force after being away for five years being a stay-at-home parent with a career change to boot. So I was grasping at straws for what I was doing other than acting during that time. I threw the Poniverse board member and MLP Forum staff on my resume, thinking maybe some random brony would notice it and call me in. Who knows.

Well, I was called in for a job interview. And the interviewer, in a very prestigious institution here in NYC, asked me what Poniverse was...I explained it. "Oh...so you're one of those bronies?" 

She seemed fine with it and intrigued, but it was very embarrassing. I took it off my resume and with a LOT of help from a really great friend of mine on here, tweaked my resume and finally landed a job right before Christmas last year. Being called out for being a brony at a job interview with my "life on the line", tens of thousands of dollars and health insurance for my family up for grabs, was a little much.

• Brohoof 1

Awkward more in that I was caught singing in public. "California Gurls" came on while I was exploring a thrift store. I absentmindedly started singing along...With the "Equestra Girls" lyrics. It was mildly embarrassing when a couple of teenage girls started giggling. I just kept singing!

LOL!

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
On 2017-11-12 at 8:27 AM, Bricks_Ahoy said:

Well, since I am not very open about being a brony, I don't recall many awkward moments.  But, I do remember this very funny one.

So, I had invited some friends over to hang out and we decided to search each other's browser history. Mine was filled with pony episodes and who knows how many Starlight pictures. Therefore, I tried to come up with every excuse I could think of. Fortunately, we dropped off the idea of invading each other's privacy. They never found out I like ponies. Seriously, someone needs to know I am a brony IRL. 

Now that's a close call. xD

• Brohoof 1

bringing a pinkie pie funko miniature to class and explaining what you can feel about the design of the character.

i felt proud.

but others wwill cringe

• Brohoof 1

The most awkward moment for me began back in the early days. In fall 2016 I bought a Rarity figurine (the one below) with the last of my allowance during a trip to Walmart to get some rice for my mom. I hid it in my backpack and quietly unboxed - no, un..wrapped? (however the heck you say it) during one of my online classes and unraveled her hair. It felt soooooo awkward I tell ya! :D

480?cb=20150625232520

But I did a quick search, snuck her into the bathroom one day, wet, brushed, and dried her hair, then combed it, before attempting a simple braid and a ponytail with the ribbon. I did volunteer work at a nearby islamic school as a parking manager, managing the flow of parents dropping off their kids and ensuring no one got hurt.

TMI TMI! Let's get to the meat of this...

One day I just decided to bring Rarity with me (I'd kinda fallen in love with her by this time), and set her down on the chair that I'd typically sit on while waiting for cars to pull in, while I stood. Sometimes I'd sit down holding her in my hands. Right from day one the little Muslim girls started to notice, and soon a few inquired about it. Aaaaand I had to explain, which did feel awkward. But slowly I broke out of my shell and began talking with them more and more. I then bought Pinkie and Twilight, and word got 'round. Soon the girls became even more excited to see me and chat about MLP - given they arrived extra early.

Even though this phase of my bronyhood is over, credit where credit is due: It gave me the push to become social and have a topic I could openly and enthusiastically discuss. All from one little pony toy.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine would be being asked if I knew what equestria is by a non brony... in english class we were doing poems and he put something that has an e in it and put equestria for it and asked if I knew what it was. I said yes and then he went on and on about how much he doesn’t like it and is forced to watch it with his little sister. It was a very stressful moment because I didn’t want anyone to know that I’m a brony.

8 hours ago, Im_not_crazy_im_just said:

Mine would be being asked if I knew what equestria is by a non brony... in english class we were doing poems and he put something that has an e in it and put equestria for it and asked if I knew what it was. I said yes and then he went on and on about how much he doesn’t like it and is forced to watch it with his little sister. It was a very stressful moment because I didn’t want anyone to know that I’m a brony.

A least you glad he didn't make fun of you

• Brohoof 1