Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

visual art My Own Book Covers

Tao

So I've been working on my own books on and off for a while and even went as far to make my own covers for said books!  Just looking for a bit of feedback!

rwxa6SS.png

d9I8Eyn.png

NWHz5Yf.png

HjVCAxX.jpg

oCszqlz.jpg

Qn6YDH6.jpg

• Brohoof 5

Gonna be honest here.

I think covers 1 and 2 are fantastic.

3 is by far the weakest, 4 and 5 have a similar, what I personally believe is an issue. They look like pics just shoved together in photoshoped. Unspoken Song and Hunt a bit less so (the blending's ok.) I think it's because they seem like seperate contextes mashed together instead of elements of a story interacting.

I haven't a clue of the actual contextes but here's some random thing's off the top of my head:

Unspoken Song

Based on the headline, I'd tease readers with what the "choice" is and stick the protagonist in the scene of climax, but not show the conflict. If the wolf is her own, have her hand on it to indicate relationship, maybe desperately grabbing to defend herself. If her foe, have her in a standoff with it. Alternatively, you could have just a relaxed scene of her with it under a snowy tree, then have some indication of the antagonist around. Any of the above draped in a dark, gloomy, harsh, wood setting to go along might make it more atmospheric.

I'd need more context for Unspoken Spell, but I'd probably showcase what her spell does. Like have the effect on a person as the cover so an onlooker knows "things are goin' down. That's a mean witch."

Unspoken Hunt

A simple difference of the handsome dude just looking at the moon could make the world blend a bit more. Or have a scene mid-hunt, displaying something exciting and to compliment Hunt in the title more.

But the thing about these descriptive covers is that they're so specific, if I ever wrote a book, I'd just comission an artist to do the cover.

I am in NO place to judge a book cover though, I couldn't design one if I had 5 years.

Sorry if I seem mean, but I'm trying to think through the perspective of a book publisher who NEEDS these books to sell.

• Brohoof 4

• 1 month later...