Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why wasn't Starlight Glimmer in the movie?

Flamepaw17

The only greater question of asking is where Discord is? I mean the Storm King wants absolute order, no room for chaos in that world... there is a reason he can only coincide with ponies, or not... lol... but the greatest question would be, having not the magic of three of equestrias most powerful ponies turned to stone and then the energy of all four princesses syphoned into a staff, he sensed no "magical disturbance" lol?

4 hours ago, Aquaflame said:

The only greater question of asking is where Discord is? I mean the Storm King wants absolute order, no room for chaos in that world... there is a reason he can only coincide with ponies, or not... lol... but the greatest question would be, having not the magic of three of equestrias most powerful ponies turned to stone and then the energy of all four princesses syphoned into a staff, he sensed no "magical disturbance" lol?

I have a feeling that the writers either didn't know what to do with him in the movie or just wanted the story to revolve around the mane 6 plus spike. Having Discord in there means that he could just snap his fingers to get rid of the Storm King and the movie would be over. The writers could have made the Storm King take away Discord's powers and have him be the comedy relief on the journey.

• 1 month later...

Not sure how old this topic is but I wanted to comment on this as yesterday I finally got to watch the MLP Movie and I found this aspect a little disappointing about it.  Fair warning, I'm assuming everyone has seen up to Season 7's finale (and I'll be mentioning something on Season 8 ep 1) and all the Equitria girls movies and the 3 (or 4) specials (particularly Mirror Magic)

With the spoiler warning out of the way, first of all I wanted to address something from an earlier post. Granted it happened most likely before Season 8 Episode 1 came out but I still wanted to make note.  But in that particular episode it made it pretty clear that the Movie takes place between Season 7 and Season 8.

Now on to the main topic at hand.  You see, I honestly was a bit disappointed in Starlight only getting a brief cameo in the story as she's currently my favorite character.  Admittedly, I'm perfectly fine with her taking a backseat and not even going on the main quest with the others just what bugs me is the fact that it makes no sense as to why she didn't get involved in some way.  I mean they could of easily added a background scene or something of her getting captured or something but in a way I was thinking of it and tbh I think they should of done one of the following imo.

1) Removed her cameo entirely or at least shifted her cameo to after the day was saved. Because putting it where they did I just find caused more issue than it helped as it doesn't make any sense that a powerful pony such as Starlight didn't get involved at all.  Not to mention her friends were in danger, so seriously.  With this one, you could at the VERY least assume that Starlight was simply not there.  Like I'll admit, I seen Equistria Girls special: Mirror Magic before I seen the movie and from what Starlight mentioned, I assumed that it took place during the movie.  But for those who don't know.  Starlight takes a trip to the EG dimension in that special and based on what Starlight said about "The girls are away solving an issue" personally I think it would of worked well for why Starlight wasn't there and that's what I had assumed.  But sadly if you go by more what she said and then the movie, well she's obviously not referring to the movie.  (unless she was but if so she did a really bad job at referring to it.)  Plus at the end of Mirror Magic, she was told she could stay a few more days, which while it's possible there was a few days time skip to reget the friendship festival back in place, it was assumed it took a few hours.   But alas, it wouldn't work but still you could assume that Starlight was away and thus simply didn't know what was going on... had they removed/moved her cameo.

2) Now, I get the fact that adjusting the movie may have been difficult as the story was in more production from before Starlight really became a good pony.  But there was a spot in the movie that would of not only given her a 'role' in the movie but also explain why she wasn't more of a help.  And it wouldn't require any real adjustments to the script.  Anyways, in the scene where Storm King's minions first show up to the festival and started to capture the Princess'.  Now when the 'magic ball' (dunno it's name) was going for Twilight, Twilight was saved at the last moment by Dopey (that's her name right?).  Personally, this would of been a great place to add Starlight.  As in have it where it was Starlight who saved Twilight instead of Dopey.  Wouldn't of been to much of an adjustment, she didn't even have to say anything tbh, and the psycho-out (audience and tempest thinking she got Twilight) didn't even last very long, as in she realized it pretty fast.  I think it would of been funny for a one-liner similar to in the episode Triple Threat where Ember kept confusing Starlight with Twilight (you're a purple pony with purple hair and with star cutie marks with shiny things :P ) But not required of course :P . Anyways, this would of been a good spot to of added Starlight without even needing really any adjustment to the script and small adjustment to the animation. 

So yeah, that's my oppinions of what they should of done.  But I would also like to make another note of why the Pillar's of Light didn't do anything, (aside for them not being introduced until literally the last episode before the movie)  Simply put, they were traveling and thus not even there at the festival to know what happened.  Not to mention in the Movie's time.. the events lasted I'd say a maximum of 48 hours (if that) so while StarSwirl could of just teleported there, really it's more than possible they didn't even hear about it until it was already over.  You could of even made the same excuse for Starlight... if she wasn't literally there... which if the EG special WAS her reasoning, could of simply been she was told off camera or something to head back to Ponyville to deliver the journal.  And she can also teleport long distances so wouldn't of been an issue there.

• 3 weeks later...

I think she was mostly helping out the Pillars and Stygian at the time, which is probably why they and she didn't appear.

I think the Pillars and Stygian was still weak from being trapped in Limbo, so at the time of the Storm King's defeat, Starlight and Trixie were helping them recover in Twilight's castle.

• 1 month later...

330.png

I think they were just part of the background. What probably did happened Starlight took few vacation days just to spend more time with Trixie.

Edited by R.D.Dash

@ARandomPyro Both posts you've made in January and today have been nothing but hostile. If you are going to chat here on this forum, you are going to respect other users. If you don't give respect to other users than you will be warned.

• Brohoof 2

Production for the film started during season four. Starlight wasn't in the show until season 5. The writers would have to have redone the script to include her in it. Other than Twilight, the other mane 6 had barely anything to do. Other than Pinkie and Rainbow goofing around to progress the story, what did the other three really do? Fluttershy had barely any dialogue. The others just reacted to what was happening. Throwing Starlight into the mix wouldn't have helped any. Instead they gave her a cameo during the trailer and end credits.

22 minutes ago, Sunlight Glisten said:

I get starlight, she wasn't part of the crew at the time of script writing for the movie. My big question.

WHAT ABOUT DISCORD????

Discord would have been an easy out for the movie unless the villain was able to imprison him or something. All Discord would have to do is snap his fingers and the story would have been resolved. This is why the season 6 ending worked because his magic didn't work.

• Brohoof 1

I'm sure there's lots of reasons......... some of them probably being that they didn't want to pay yet another VA for the film when they already had a crap ton of VA's in it, including Sia who did cost them a pretty penny :P

I suspect it may have also have had to do with something very similar to why Discord didn't appear in the movie: He's too powerful, the movie would been five minutes long if Discord were in the movie and able to stop the Storm King. I suspect with how highly powerful Glimmy Glam is (She has been shown to be very powerful indeed) Is simply the movie's plot would have been destroyed in like five minutes had she actually been a part of the movie to stop the Storm King.

Those reasons there are most likely why she never appeared in the movie besides a brief cameo in the background. I guess I'm maybe thinking more out-of-universe explanations as to why she wasn't in the movie, but I honesty can't think of a whole lot of in-universe reasons as to why she wasn't in the movie, so I guess you could ask one the show's writers or producers why they think she wasn't in the movie and get an opinion right from someone who works on MLP :ooh:     

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2018 at 5:27 PM, JCKane said:

Now when the 'magic ball' (dunno it's name) was going for Twilight, Twilight was saved at the last moment by Dopey (that's her name right?).  Personally, this would of been a great place to add Starlight.  As in have it where it was Starlight who saved Twilight instead of Dopey.  Wouldn't of been to much of an adjustment, she didn't even have to say anything tbh, and the psycho-out (audience and tempest thinking she got Twilight) didn't even last very long, as in she realized it pretty fast.  I think it would of been funny for a one-liner similar to in the episode Triple Threat where Ember kept confusing Starlight with Twilight (you're a purple pony with purple hair and with star cutie marks with shiny things :P ) But not required of course :P . Anyways, this would of been a good spot to of added Starlight without even needing really any adjustment to the script and small adjustment to the animation. 

Great minds think alike - I figured this would be a good spot for her too. Although misnaming Derpy while you're already erasing her role is kind of insult to injury, you know.