Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Glitter Drops and Spring Rain

Steve Piranha

Hey, you remember the two Tempest's unicorn ex friends in her back story? They are Glitter Drops (the green), and Spring Rain (the blue). You may have seen the paper cut retelling of Tempest during her song "Open Your Eyes", where they where playing ball and it bounced to the ursa minor's cave, where Tempest subsequently lost her horn and earned a scar. Then, next time they where playing the ball, her unstable and explosive magic scared both of her friends and was replaced by an unnamed yellow unicorn, painting them in a really negative light. If you read the book Stormy Road of Canterlot, it retells many of that background, like Tempest's broken horn being the catalyst of her leaving Equestria, but both of her exes are portrayed in a FAR MORE positive light.

Spoilers if you haven't read Stormy Road to Canterlot book:

Most of Tempest's initial background is pretty accurate to the movie, up to the point of her attempt to use her magic with her now broken horn. Both Glitter Drops and Spring Rain almost got hurt, if not killed. Of course they got scared and stopped playing  ball with Tempest, but never abandoned her. While it is true that after that event they where seeing her less and less, it was mainly because Tempest shut herself off, spending most of her time (MONTHS, in fact) at home. Still, both of her friends did bother to visit her periodically. And one more thing: the three of them dreamed to go to the school of gifted unicorns, and that dream was shattered for Tempest for obvious reasons, but Spring and Glitter did managed to enroll, and told Tempest about it. That was the last straw for her, not abandonment nor replacement (they may have befriended that yellow unicorn however :huh: ).

What you think happened here? You think it's another case of multiple media inconsistency (a valid argument, considering the Crystal Empire existing in the book :dash: ), or it's a case of hearing one side of the story, further influenced by anger and bitterness? You'll do well to remember that memories can be altered by ourselves without noticing, and that holds most true if they are influenced by extreme resentment. One such case is Bobby/Syndrome, from the Incredibles. You remember the prologue, right? Bomb Voyage and everything? Well, once  Syndrome shows up and we see a short flashback of how Mr Incredible rejected him, said flashback lacked two important things: Bomb Voyage, and the urgency of the situation by showing Mr Incredible calmly walking away. I used to think that was a movie mistake, and a big one, but later I've realized something else. We know that's not how it happened, but it's how Syndrome REMEMBERS it. That maybe a case of Tempest's backstory with her exes as well. Hope they make up, as they don't seem to be bad ponies 

Oh, these are her ex friends in the Gameloft game. quite a pair of gorgeous mares :bedeyes: 

full.png

• Brohoof 5

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Hey, you remember the two Tempest's unicorn ex friends in her back story? They are Glitter Drops (the green), and Spring Rain (the blue). You may have seen the paper cut retelling of Tempest during her song "Open Your Eyes", where they where playing ball and it bounced to the ursa minor's cave, where Tempest subsequently lost her horn and earned a scar. Then, next time they where playing the ball, her unstable and explosive magic scared both of her friends and was replaced by an unnamed yellow unicorn, painting them in a really negative light. If you read the book Stormy Road of Canterlot, it retells many of that background, like Tempest's broken horn being the catalyst of her leaving Equestria, but both of her exes are portrayed in a FAR MORE positive light.

Spoilers if you haven't read Stormy Road to Canterlot book:

Hide contents

Most of Tempest's initial background is pretty accurate to the movie, up to the point of her attempt to use her magic with her now broken horn. Both Glitter Drops and Spring Rain almost got hurt, if not killed. Of course they got scared and stopped playing  ball with Tempest, but never abandoned her. While it is true that after that event they where seeing her less and less, it was mainly because Tempest shut herself off, spending most of her time (MONTHS, in fact) at home. Still, both of her friends did bother to visit her periodically. And one more thing: the three of them dreamed to go to the school of gifted unicorns, and that dream was shattered for Tempest for obvious reasons, but Spring and Glitter did managed to enroll, and told Tempest about it. That was the last straw for her, not abandonment nor replacement (they may have befriended that yellow unicorn however :huh: ).

What you think happened here? You think it's another case of multiple media inconsistency (a valid argument, considering the Crystal Empire existing in the book :dash: ), or it's a case of hearing one side of the story, further influenced by anger and bitterness? You'll do well to remember that memories can be altered by ourselves without noticing, and that holds most true if they are influenced by extreme resentment. One such case is Bobby/Syndrome, from the Incredibles. You remember the prologue, right? Bomb Voyage and everything? Well, once  Syndrome shows up and we see a short flashback of how Mr Incredible rejected him, said flashback lacked two important things: Bomb Voyage, and the urgency of the situation by showing Mr Incredible calmly walking away. I used to think that was a movie mistake, and a big one, but later I've realized something else. We know that's not how it happened, but it's how Syndrome REMEMBERS it. That maybe a case of Tempest's backstory with her exes as well. Hope they make up, as they don't seem to be bad ponies 

Oh, these are her ex friends in the Gameloft game. quite a pair of gorgeous mares :bedeyes: 

full.png

And this is one of the reasons I wished the movie would be longer. They put too many things in not enough time. Things as this don't get explained and such not understood.

1 hour ago, Hierok said:

And this is one of the reasons I wished the movie would be longer. They put too many things in not enough time. Things as this don't get explained and such not understood.

There's still so much left to be explored from the movie, but they don't seem to be interested in expanding the movie even further :sunny:

I really like Tempest Shadow, but this is something that I wish could have made it into the film.  It could have helped make her even more interesting.

Also, the more I learn of Tempest's character, the more I realize she is the type of villain that I wish Starlight could have been.

12 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I really like Tempest Shadow, but this is something that I wish could have made it into the film.  It could have helped make her even more interesting.

Also, the more I learn of Tempest's character, the more I realize she is the type of villain that I wish Starlight could have been.

The only part I think was a little weak was the lose of her horn. She played with a ball, which rolled all the wasy into a cave where happened to be an Ursa. I think this could have been better. :grin:

Yeh it just one of the inconsistency.  But I rather have the movie version since well...that's life for ya.  Not all friends gonna stick around on your toughest times.  I heard many people can relate with Tempest because they would had friends who abandoned  them and know how to cope by seeing a character who want though the same way. 

So the movie is the non-sugar coated version. Where your friend leave you and tough love, which the song "open up your eyes" tells it all. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
(edited)

Well, had to seek Tempest's arc from the comics online, couldn't wait until the volume containing it is in stores (which I will buy it once available of course). I've just wanted to know of Tempest's backstory as soon as possible

Spoiler

And to my joy, it seems that at least Glitter Drops will be an important character in that arc. Another positive thing to note is that the IDW guys made their homework with the books again, as it seems that my theory that Tempest's backflash in the movie was blurred by her bitterness was true. However, one interesting change to note was Spring Rain, who doesn't appear, but it's mentioned to be a dude, despite being female in the book as well (possibly because the now apparently he, had a square nuzzle in the movie flashback)

Edited by Steve Piranha

(edited)
On 11/15/2017 at 2:46 PM, TBD said:

Yeh it just one of the inconsistency.  But I rather have the movie version since well...that's life for ya.  Not all friends gonna stick around on your toughest times.  I heard many people can relate with Tempest because they would had friends who abandoned  them and know how to cope by seeing a character who want though the same way. 

So the movie is the non-sugar coated version. Where your friend leave you and tough love, which the song "open up your eyes" tells it all. 

While what you wrote is true, the alternative is as true as well. It's just less used in media. The owner of the memory THINKS it's true, but facts show otherwise

On 11/28/2017 at 1:37 AM, Silver Letter said:

I only heard of those two from the Gameloft game. Sadly, I haven't read any backstory about them. It would be useful to do so.

Spoiler

That seems to be the case with Glitty at least. Not sure if Spring Rain will appear at all, but it's now a dude :dash:

On 11/27/2017 at 10:01 PM, Brainstorm said:

I'm sure Glitter and Spring didn't mean to leave Tempest/Fizzlepop on purpose.

It was actually the other way around according to the book

Spoiler

The comics appears to show how it really happened. Have to wait the final issue how Glitty tells it

Edited by Steve Piranha

23 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

It was actually the other way around according to the book

Reveal hidden contents

The comics appears to show how it really happened. Have to wait the final issue how Glitty tells it

But, did Tempest/Fizzlepop make amends with Glitter and Spring?

I don't have the comic.

7 hours ago, Brainstorm said:

But, did Tempest/Fizzlepop make amends with Glitter and Spring?

I don't have the comic.

Spoiler

HELL NO. Tempest still believes Glitter and Spring abandoned her, so she's being rude and unfriendly towards Glitter (being the only one who appeared). Have to wait for the next issue to see if Tempest does make up with her

(edited)
57 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:
  Hide contents

HELL NO. Tempest still believes Glitter and Spring abandoned her, so she's being rude and unfriendly towards Glitter (being the only one who appeared). Have to wait for the next issue to see if Tempest does make up with her

I still believe they can, if Twilight can make amends with her Canderlot Friends, I'm know Tempest/Fizzlepop can make amends with Glitter and Spring.

Edited by Brainstorm

1 hour ago, Brainstorm said:

I still believe they can, if Twilight can make amends with her Canderlot Friends, I'm know Tempest/Fizzlepop can make amends with Glitter and Spring.

Spoiler

Nah, I've meant that they haven't made amends as it stands in issue 67, or rather, Tempest hasn't. We have to wait a while until the inevitable make-up

4 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:
  Hide contents

Nah, I've meant that they haven't made amends as it stands in issue 67, or rather, Tempest hasn't. We have to wait a while until the inevitable make-up

I know, but, I know Tempest/Fizzlepop can make amends with Glitter and Spring, with Twilight's help, I know she can. Also, she isn't completely alone, she has Grubber to help her, like Twilight has Spike.

15 minutes ago, Brainstorm said:

I know, but, I know Tempest/Fizzlepop can make amends with Glitter and Spring, with Twilight's help, I know she can. Also, she isn't completely alone, she has Grubber to help her, like Twilight has Spike.

Spoiler

Nah, it looks like it's up to Tempest to make up with Glitter, and later Spring Rain, as I don't see Twi getting involved in Tempest's arc. I wonder where Grubber is tho, he's absent  :huh:

Just now, Steve Piranha said:
  Hide contents

Nah, it looks like it's up to Tempest to make up with Glitter, and later Spring Rain, as I don't see Twi getting involved in Tempest's arc. I wonder where Grubber is tho, he's absent  :huh:

I mean, Twilight and Spike can help Tempest/Fizzlepop calm down before she make amends with Glitter and Spring. I still know they can make amends with each other.

21 minutes ago, Brainstorm said:

I mean, Twilight and Spike can help Tempest/Fizzlepop calm down before she make amends with Glitter and Spring. I still know they can make amends with each other.

Spoiler

Pretty hard to expect Twi's help considering Tempest and Glitter are currently outside Equestria's northern borders. And about making amends, I expect it starting with Tempest lashing out at Glitter with her story as seen in the movie, only for her to call out on her bullshit and tells how it really happened as depicted in A Stormy Road to Canterlot, with the immediate never seen aftermath from her, and Spring Rain's POV after Tempest left. They make up,and it ends with Tempest leaving to make amends with Spring Rain  (who is somewhere else)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just read the final issue of Tempest's arc online (still buying the graphic novel containing it ;)), but I must say I'm satisfied with Tempest's and Glitter's resolution (I do wonder about that yellow unicorn in the movie tho :huh: ) 

7 hours ago, Shady Mist said:

Spring Rain is a cult if you look a the mussel shape and lack of eyelashes.

Noticed that detail, which I've found weird considering that both were refereed as females in A Stormy Road to Canterlot, and the Gameloft game took from there. Seems the comics stuck with Spring Rain being a dude 

• 3 weeks later...

Happy that Tempest and Glitter made up. The comic didn’t chose between Tempest or Glitter, but came on mutual understanding. Pretty satisfied on how it ended. I wonder if Spring Rain will appear later tho :huh:?

• 2 months later...

I just noticed Spring Rain's eye color is the same as Tempest's mane and Glitter Drops's eye color is the same as Tempest's coat. Also Tempest's eyes are "aqua" I think which is combination of Spring Rain's and Glitter Drops's colors.