Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

website extremely slow

dosey doe

I've already checked that it's not the browser; the site is slow across firefox and chrome. Takes in excess of 2 minutes to load in some cases, frequent 504 time-out errors. All other sites load in seconds. Windows 10.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah to be honest this is an issue that I've experienced myself on Safari on my IPad and IPod. Apparently I believe it's just the website becomes extremely slow at certain times as the servers decide to install OS security or driver updates or sometimes it's the website's operating engine itself (Invasion Power services) that installs security updates. It's just when updates are being installed there's not much hardware runtime left for the website itself so it then results in the website being extremely slow while the updates are being installed. Anyways that's just what I believe is going on by my technical knowledge! :) 

There is a fairly long list of things that could be the cause of recent intermittent slowdown and such, some planned and some unplanned. Server performance/location/configuration. Too many file requests. Code density. Questionable traffic spikes. Sysops could be tweaking the engine under the hood. Many many more. 

Seems a little better today. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, dosey doe said:

so I just updated firefox from 40-something to 57 and the site is fine again

That is likely unrelated. I haven't used that browser in over a year and it was slow for me as well on various other browsers that I do use.

• 2 weeks later...

Back when I was tech staff here, I learned we had quite a bit hosted on our equipment (but still very powerful), though even with all that power, we still have some slowdowns. All I can say is to wait for a little bit, and if it doesn't resolve in a little bit, contact a tech staff member with some diagnostic tests (speed tests, your ISP, ping test, etc), and see if they know anything.

I get a pretty fast connection 90% of the time (my ISP is Spectrum/Charter), which is also accelerated our DNS provider, CloudFlare.

• Brohoof 1

• The topic was locked