Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

“Don’t get your expectations too high”

dragonargon

I absolutely hate this argument that some have brought up here, since day one. “You will enjoy it if you keep your expectations low”. You should absolutely expect a great film the way the creators have been hyping this up. You shouldn’t settle for the mediocrity we just unfortunately got with MLP: The Movie.

Dont you feel let down that there was an art book that showed a beautiful and innovative movie and that was scrapped for something that was so generic (albeit with nice music and animation)? Doesn’t it resonate the fact that they said it would be an actual movie and not just a 95 min episode, and yet, it was exactly the latter means they lied to fans? This movie only re-affirmed haters’ opinions rather than defied them (which the original concept would have done).

I don’t mind liking it but giving this movie an 8/10 just because you’re a fan or “it’s for kids” shows that you’re content with MLP being exactly what it was in G1/G2.

4 hours ago, dragonargon said:

I absolutely hate this argument that some have brought up here, since day one. “You will enjoy it if you keep your expectations low”. You should absolutely expect a great film the way the creators have been hyping this up. You shouldn’t settle for the mediocrity we just unfortunately got with MLP: The Movie.

Dont you feel let down that there was an art book that showed a beautiful and innovative movie and that was scrapped for something that was so generic (albeit with nice music and animation)? Doesn’t it resonate the fact that they said it would be an actual movie and not just a 95 min episode, and yet, it was exactly the latter means they lied to fans? This movie only re-affirmed haters’ opinions rather than defied them (which the original concept would have done).

I don’t mind liking it but giving this movie an 8/10 just because you’re a fan or “it’s for kids” shows that you’re content with MLP being exactly what it was in G1/G2.

I strongly disagree. If you have high expectations, you pretty much have no one to blame but yourself for your dissappintment, since you set standards not even leonardo decaprio or jennifer lawrence can reach. 

higher expectations = greater chance of dissapointment. Keep it simple, and you will enjoy it. Stop expecting the holy grail of whatever franchise the movie/tv show/video game is about.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, it's almost like *gasp* people have different standards. :o

Seriously though, everybody can have their own expectations of the movie. Just because you expected something better, dosen't mean others have to look at the same way as you do.

Also, the show is marketed towards kids. Stop trying to make it sound like it's far more edgy then it actually is.

(inb4 Lauren Faust argument)

• Brohoof 4

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. Not everyone is gonna hold the same standard, and as much as we love the show for what it is, there was never any indication from it that the movie was going to be THAT special. For me it was just a treat to see these characters on the big screen, and I enjoyed it for what it was.

• Brohoof 6

As someone who knows the crew of the movie can do better, I sympathize with the frustration at seeing all the apparent complacency about the movie. If you're looking for validation of your feelings I can assure you that a lot of fans were disappointed in it the same as you were. But what's done is done and all any of us can do is hope for better next time. Regardless of how much any of us praise the movie or complain about it, it remains up to the filmmakers to decide what they think worked and what didn't work. But if there is a sequel I'm definitely going to keep my expectations much lower because they're going to need to earn back my hype.

Edited by n1029

14 minutes ago, n1029 said:

As someone who knows the crew of the movie can do better, I sympathize with the frustration at seeing all the apparent complacency about the movie. If you're looking for validation of your feelings I can assure you that a lot of fans were disappointed in it the same as you were. But what's done is done and all any of us can do is hope for better next time. Regardless of how much any of us praise the movie or complain about it, it remains up to the filmmakers to decide what they think worked and what didn't work. But if there is a sequel I'm definitely going to keep my expectations much lower because they're going to need to earn back my hype.

Whos to say hasbro has to cater to your every whim? Im sorry, but i'm sick of people coming with a laundry list of expectations and getting angry that hasbro can only give them 1234 when everyone asks for 56789.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Ninetales said:

Whos to say hasbro has to cater to your every whim? Im sorry, but i'm sick of people coming with a laundry list of expectations and getting angry that hasbro can only give them 1234 when everyone asks for 56789.

I can't say for sure what my expectations were. All I know is I probably would not have become a fan of the franchise if this movie were my only exposure to it. I feel like there's a good reason I hold the TV series in the same high esteem as I do Disney and Pixar films and the movie did not measure up to it.

33 minutes ago, n1029 said:

I can't say for sure what my expectations were. All I know is I probably would not have become a fan of the franchise if this movie were my only exposure to it. I feel like there's a good reason I hold the TV series in the same high esteem as I do Disney and Pixar films and the movie did not measure up to it.

Hasbro is not disney. Stop subjecting them to the same standards everyone else does.

If you subject hasbro, or anything to outragously high standards, you have no one to blame but yourself for your dissapointment.

4 minutes ago, Ninetales said:

Hasbro is not disney. Stop subjecting them to the same standards everyone else does.

If you subject hasbro, or anything to outragously high standards, you have no one to blame but yourself for your dissapointment.

I subject them to the same standards because I know from experience they can meet them. I feel I'd be insulting them by not having those expectations.

5 hours ago, dragonargon said:

I'm sorry but if you have a problem other people giving it a high scoring that's your problem. Ever heard of differing opinions? I guess not.

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, n1029 said:

I subject them to the same standards because I know from experience they can meet them. I feel I'd be insulting them by not having those expectations.

So basically, youre subjecting them to the same standards because its be an insult?

HASBRO IS NOT DISNEY. PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES. This should mean "oh, this is a mistake, but nothing too major." And not "i dont like this part, therefore the entire movie is garbage."

edit: Okay, maybe some expectation is good,but keep it reasonable.

Edited by Ninetales

Just now, Ninetales said:

So basically, youre subjecting them to the same standards because its be an insult?

HASBRO IS NOT DISNEY. PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES. This should mean "oh, this is a mistake, but nothing too major." And not "i dont like this part, therefore the entire movie is garbage."

If the movie's issues really were just a few mistakes, I probably would think it was Disney quality.

4 minutes ago, n1029 said:

If the movie's issues really were just a few mistakes, I probably would think it was Disney quality.

Let me guess. "Movie sucked, animation sucked, characters sucked, story sucked."

1 hour ago, n1029 said:

As I said to the OP, if you have a problem with how some people view the movie, namely thinking it's great, such as myself, that's no one's problem but your own.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I don't have any great expectations, indeed, I have the feeling I may not like it, it will be for the feelings of "Only for commercial" or "I think it's a bit forced as a movie." or other things like that...I don't know... :/

6 minutes ago, Ninetales said:

Let me guess. "Movie sucked, animation sucked, characters sucked, story sucked."

I could go into further detail if you want, but yes, I had a lot of problems with all of those elements.

10 minutes ago, Celli said:

As I said to the OP, if you have a problem with how some people view the movie, namely thinking it's great, such as myself, that's no one's problem but your own.

And it's also your own problem if you don't like someone attempting to express sympathy to the topic creator

This is going to be fairly short. I don't go into a Marvel film expecting a master class in cinema. I know what to expect. Same with most other entertainment properties. My expectations are usually meet. Occasionally they are exceeded, but that's the exception. I don't manage to the exception. 

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, n1029 said:

I could go into further detail if you want, but yes, I had a lot of problems with all of those elements.

And it's also your own problem if you don't like someone attempting to express sympathy to the topic creator

No because I really don't give a damn. What I do have an issue with is telling people how to think.

Edited by Celli
  • Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, n1029 said:

Apparently you do if you felt the need to act self-righteous about it

Read my edited post.

Just now, ChikoritaCheezits said:

"I have ridiculously high expectations and I hate when people tell me to just enjoy something for what it is"

I hate to sound rude but that sounds kind of entitled.

I 100% agree.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Celli said:

As an aside, what does "banished" mean on OP?

That pretty much means banned. There's reason to believe the OP is a dupe of a banned member, so action had to be taken.

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Celli said:

No because I really don't give a damn. What I do have an issue with is telling people how to think.

Truism. 

I personally haven't found the magic solution to looking at or approaching any art form in a way that is universal. When you watch a movie, you bring with you mountains of experiences and levels of knowledge that make your viewing yours and yours alone. 

"My own council will I keep on what I like and why I like it" ~ Master Yoda on reviewing My Little Porg the movie 

8 minutes ago, n1029 said:

Apparently you do if you felt the need to act self-righteous about it

Eh, apathy can be communicated without an agenda. It's not that hard. 

5 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

That pretty much means banned. There's reason to believe the OP is a dupe of a banned member, so action had to be taken.

I'm putting together a group of people to gather personal items of the Banished users to bring them back at a place with vertical rocks. 

What could go wrong? 

• Brohoof 2

9 minutes ago, Alex2002ita said:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I don't have any great expectations, indeed, I have the feeling I may not like it, it will be for the feelings of "Only for commercial" or "I think it's a bit forced as a movie." or other things like that...I don't know... :/

Plot could have done with more work - to be fair, they are trying to shoehorn in a couple of seasons of character introduction and development frontloading the movie (so that first time viewers won't be TOO lost), an epic quest, new characters, new character types, and of course a rainboom (gotta have a rainboom) - and while they did a reasonable job, those of us who have previous pony knowledge would have hoped for better and will be unhappy with some of the plot points.

But, that said... some of the new characters are awesome, and the animation quality is incredible - not necessarily the most comfortable fit given we are used to the flash style of FiM, but truly a thing of beauty, down to little details like each of the mane 6 having a unique walk...

• Brohoof 1