Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general old touchscreens / 3D printers for hire, soldering iron help

Desert Pone The Cookie Smuggler

im looking for a cheap touchscreen 13 inches on the diag (needs to be working, but laptop or whatever need not be attached),  15.6" is the maximum and 12" is the min,screen connection needs to be 40 pin LED backlight (or a 40 pin connector and no other connectors)  im also looking for some 3D printing help (not right away, i need to get a few more parts before i can list the specs), lastly im looking for a soldering iron or help in turning a broken soldering gun of 80W into a 60W iron (parts are a transformer, a light bulb, 2 tips and a trigger switch, parts destroyed when it kicked the bucket are a few inches of copper wireing)

shipping zip is 87305 for estimates

Yeah even though I'm only 16 I'm still quite a good engineer when it comes to stuff like this! Like I could definitely help you through here to fix the soldering iorn! :)

3 hours ago, desert_pone said:

im looking for a cheap touchscreen 13 inches on the diag (needs to be working, but laptop or whatever need not be attached),  15.6" is the maximum and 12" is the min,screen connection needs to be 40 pin LED backlight (or a 40 pin connector and no other connectors)  im also looking for some 3D printing help (not right away, i need to get a few more parts before i can list the specs), lastly im looking for a soldering iron or help in turning a broken soldering gun of 80W into a 60W iron (parts are a transformer, a light bulb, 2 tips and a trigger switch, parts destroyed when it kicked the bucket are a few inches of copper wireing)

shipping zip is 87305 for estimates

5 minutes ago, Techno Universal said:

Yeah even though I'm only 16 I'm still quite a good engineer when it comes to stuff like this! Like I could definitely help you through here to fix the soldering iorn! :)

thanks a bunch,  i could get a free sample iron set from china with the tips i need (flat and wide + needle type) but id have to pay a mere 30$ shipping...  for 30$ i could make my own iron (course, id have to be a solder-less iron,  can't solder when the iron id use is what im making)  do you want a picture of the remains of the gun?

turns out china may not always be the place to get cheap goods from (or cheap knock-offs)

Edited by desert_pone
forgot to add last sentence

Just now, desert_pone said:

thanks a bunch,  i could get a free sample iron set with the tips i need (flat and wide + needle type) but id have to pay a mere 30$ shipping...  for 30$ i could make my own iron (course, id have to be a solder-less iron,  can't solder when the iron id use is what im making)  do you want a picture of the remains of the gun?

Well yeah of course I would need to visually see the damage to determine how it can be fixed! Though I won't exactly be able to send you an iron set as we don't even have one! Though my grandpa dose have an old soldiering iron that's from the early 1980s and we still use it and it still works very well! So I have done some soldering myself with my family and at high school to as I had to solder some wires together when I was working on my wooden desk lamp in woodwork class! :)

heres the pics,  you can see on one side of the transformer how i cut away some of the fabric/plastic wrapping (im not quite sure what it is, it has fabric and its stiff like plastic, it also diden't burn when the wire inside it vaporized)

there isen't fancy control electronics or stuff like that,  they went the cheap as heck route with this thing

IMG_20171117_101401.jpg

IMG_20171117_101418.jpg

IMG_20171117_101442.jpg

2 minutes ago, desert_pone said:

heres the pics,  you can see on one side of the transformer how i cut away some of the fabric/plastic wrapping (im not quite sure what it is, it has fabric and its stiff like plastic, it also diden't burn when the wire inside it vaporized)

there isen't fancy control electronics or stuff like that,  they went the cheap as heck route with this thing

IMG_20171117_101401.jpg

IMG_20171117_101418.jpg

IMG_20171117_101442.jpg

Yeah I actually don't really see any problems with it but still it might be that the heating element itself has likely popped if it's not working as those sort of elements often look completely normal except for a black hole in them when they pop. Like it probably popped because of a manufacturing defect. Also my grandpa's soldering iorn is a heavy duty one that was very well manufactured here in Australia. It's a real shame that nothing much is made in Australia anymore as if we still manufactured soldering irons here they would last 30+ years with occasional use! :)

what went pop is the wire leading from the switch to the transformer,  there isen't a heating element per se in this thing, what you got is wall to switch, then to the transformer, then out to the tip, then back to the transformer (so what happens is the tip is electrically live, not very good) aside from that one wire its intact